PDA

View Full Version : Report: Bengals interested in LaVar Arrington

max venable
03-12-2006, 11:48 AM
This from bengals.com:

...the Bengals have also expressed interest in another one of his clients, former Redskins outside linebacker LaVar Arrington. Arrington went to one of his Pro Bowls playing in Lewis’s defense in 2002 and is currently on a high-price tour that stopped in Miami on Saturday.

A bit surprising but Arrington IS a game-changing type LB.

Things are really going to get interesting with free agency. Looks like the Bengals are going to play it smart and conservative. I highly doubt that they'll be able to sign Arrington (or Sam Adams).

Dom Heffner
03-12-2006, 12:14 PM
I have mixed emotions on this. I think he is over-rated, but as a free-roaming LB, he could add something we haven't had here for awhile.

KronoRed
03-12-2006, 01:58 PM
I'd be leery, he's going to be expensive for them.

VI_RedsFan
03-12-2006, 02:02 PM
You guys don't want LaVar. I am a Redskins fan, and I think Arrington is overrated. He also has a bad attitude. The Bengals are my second favorite team, and I don't want to see LaVar heading there. He'll probably end up going to the Giants anyway.

RedsManRick
03-12-2006, 02:17 PM
Lavar was one of my all time favorite Nittany Lions (lived there and attended every home game 90-96), though I didn't get to watch him much in person. The "Lavar Leap", where he launched himself over the line super-man style and stopped the Illinois RB for a loss on fourth and inches. That's pretty much LaVar in a nutshell. He's an athletic freak who likes to roam free and take risks.

He's actually a very intelligent, articulate guy, but's a bit of a free spirit. I'm not sure what he'll cost, but he'd be great to have in a play-making capacity. I wouldn't want to count on him every down, but he would be a great addition if the price is right.

WVRed
03-12-2006, 02:59 PM
In other news, Sage Rosenfels signed with the Houston Texans. The Bengals were looking at him as a backup with Kitna likely gone.

Also, Edgerrin James signed with the Arizona Cardinals today.

max venable
03-12-2006, 04:29 PM
The Bengals have also set up visits for Sunday and Monday with safeties Will Demps, Dexter Jackson, and Lawyer Milloy.

WMR
03-12-2006, 04:48 PM
LaVar was out of place with Joe Gibbs. I think he'd thrive in Marvin's World.

VI_RedsFan
03-12-2006, 05:05 PM
Arrington just signed with the Giants.

Tony Cloninger
03-12-2006, 06:03 PM
Mike Brown will continue to fiddle while the Bengals chances of rebuilding their defense through FA burns.

With CP out for who knows how long...... they need to stack their defense to help out whoever the backup QB (and it's not like they will go after a front line one...not with all the money tied up with CP, CJ and RJ).

The Bears showed that with a very good defense.....you could have Klinger back there and still win. Just play slow and conservative until CP is back.

max venable
03-12-2006, 08:29 PM
Man, players aren't wasting any time signing. Amazing how quickly this is all going down.

Yachtzee
03-12-2006, 10:23 PM
I honestly don't see why people still feel that the Bengals need to sign some big name free agent to gain credibility. Every year they say "no" to big name free agents who end up signing a big deal with some other team, only to underperform. The Bengals don't need that. They need guys who are going to come to play football.

Like the Steelers, Marvin Lewis seems like he prefers to go after free agents who fly under the radar who can help out the team or trade for someone who may be undervalued by his current team. I don't expect the Bengals to sign a big name in free agency and I won't commit hari kari if they don't. I do expect and hope they sign players who are going to improve the D, no matter what kind of name they have.

LoganBuck
03-13-2006, 02:10 PM
Bengals.com is reporting Dexter Jackson has signed with the Bengals!

Heath
03-13-2006, 02:22 PM
Arrington just signed with the Giants.

I missed that - haven't seen it on espn.com or si.com or whatever.

NJReds
03-13-2006, 02:27 PM
I'm still trying to figure out how Dan Snyder (Washington) is able to go hog wild in free agency with huge contracts. So far he's traded for Brandon Lloyd; and signed Archuleta, Randel El and Christian Fauria (who he really didn't even need). Is there no cap in Washington?

NJReds
03-13-2006, 02:28 PM
I missed that - haven't seen it on espn.com or si.com or whatever.

I heard he visited with the Giants, but left without a contract. He reportedly wants to stay in the NFC East, but I don't see a match there with Coughlin.

max venable
03-13-2006, 03:00 PM
Bengals.com is reporting Dexter Jackson has signed with the Bengals!
It's true. Here's the espn link: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2366753
Great pickup.

WMR
03-13-2006, 03:29 PM
Can someone who knows about Dexter give a write-up of his talents? I read the news story... is he considered a premier safety?

Oxilon
03-13-2006, 03:37 PM
He's pretty average, but it's a HUGE improvement over KK and Ohalete. But, with Lawyer Milloy still available, it's kind of disappointing.

WVRed
03-13-2006, 03:37 PM
Can someone who knows about Dexter give a write-up of his talents? I read the news story... is he considered a premier safety?

He can play both safety positions. His best season was his first and only season with Arizona, where he recorded 74 tackles and 6 interceptions. He should be an instant upgrade over Kaesviharn and Ohalete.

WMR
03-13-2006, 03:43 PM
They said he'll start at Free Safety... does that mean Madieu will play strong safety? With Dexter's physicality, it seems like he'd be better suited to playing strong safety...

Danny Serafini
03-13-2006, 03:56 PM
Marvin likes interchangable safties who can take either spot, so maybe you'll see Jackson play some strong as well.

WMR
03-13-2006, 04:03 PM
Will Kim Herring be around as well next season? I'm not sure what his contract status is, but he's more than serviceable himself when healthy.

traderumor
03-13-2006, 04:24 PM
I'm still trying to figure out how Dan Snyder (Washington) is able to go hog wild in free agency with huge contracts. So far he's traded for Brandon Lloyd; and signed Archuleta, Randel El and Christian Fauria (who he really didn't even need). Is there no cap in Washington?That is part of what Mike Brown and the Bills owner (Ralph Wilson?) were fussing about. The large market teams have a larger revenue stream plus some non-cap revenue streams that allow them to plunk down huge bonuses and to cap out with a smaller impact on the bottom line. Not sure if Brown's gripe is legit, but if that is indeed the case, it places a larger cap burden on smaller revenue teams just from a simple wages as a percent of sales perspective. Of course, Snyder hasn't exactly been spending on the right folks as mediocrity reigns under his system.

traderumor
03-13-2006, 04:26 PM
Will Kim Herring be around as well next season? I'm not sure what his contract status is, but he's more than serviceable himself when healthy.
Unless they sign another FA or draft an upgrade from KK and Ohlafate, I'd hope so.

Danny Serafini
03-13-2006, 04:48 PM
There's a bunch of talk that Herring may be let go to save cap space. Honestly wouldn't bother me, he hasn't been able to stay healthy and didn't do anything impressive when he did play.

WMR
03-13-2006, 05:36 PM
There's a bunch of talk that Herring may be let go to save cap space. Honestly wouldn't bother me, he hasn't been able to stay healthy and didn't do anything impressive when he did play.

Not if it means another season of Ohalete's "body" tackles. :thumbdown

Steve4192
03-13-2006, 07:03 PM
He's pretty average, but it's a HUGE improvement over KK and Ohalete. But, with Lawyer Milloy still available, it's kind of disappointing.
Actually, Jackson is exactly the kind of safety Marvin likes ... coverage first. Milloy is a bit of a liability in coverage these days. Jackson OTOH spent most of his career playing the deep zone in Tampa, allowing John Lynch to essentially play LB and rack up a ton of tackles and pro-bowl appearances. I think having him back in coverage will allow Madieu Williams to do the same.

max venable
03-13-2006, 07:04 PM
Actually, Jackson is exactly the kind of safety Marvin likes ... coverage first. He spent most of his career playing the deep zone in Tampa, allowing John Lynch to essentially play LB and rack up a ton of tackles and pro-bowl appearances. Milloy is a bit of a liability in coverage these days. I think having Jackson back in coverage will allow Madieu Williams to do the same.
THAT is a great point. Well said.