PDA

View Full Version : UK v. UAB 1st Rd.

WMR
03-12-2006, 07:50 PM
Can we beat UAB this time around??? I don't know much about their team this year...

UCONN in round 2 for whichever team emerges victorious...

Blimpie
03-12-2006, 08:06 PM
We CAN beat them, but I do not expect to beat them. They are still uber-athletic (like the '04 team) and can very easily run UK out of the gym (again). Tubby will have to dictate pace and control the glass to even play within 10 points of UAB. The way the team is jacking threes and avoiding successful strategies, I am not optomistic.

The prospect of facing UCONN is Round # 2 is enough of a deflator to have the Cats going into the tourney uninspired. How ironic that they will be playing for their lives in the same city that brought us the Laettner (spitting sound) shot???

Reds Fanatic
03-12-2006, 08:08 PM
I expect UAB to beat Kentucky again. Unless Kentucky really slows the pace of the game athletically UAB is better.

WVRed
03-12-2006, 08:08 PM
My bracket says one and done.

Mike Anderson is a protege of Nolan Richardson, and he practices the "40 minutes of hell" that Richardson played at Arkansas. They will play Kentucky physical, and that is what has always been a weakness for the Cats.

It all depends on which Kentucky team shows up, but UK got the draw I expected.

WMR
03-12-2006, 08:09 PM
How do you feel about the draw? It's a sucky draw, but I don't think we really have any ground to stand on as far as complaining...

Reds Fanatic
03-12-2006, 08:10 PM
An 8 seed seems about right for Kentucky this year. That pretty much where I expected the committee would put them.

WMR
03-12-2006, 08:11 PM
An 8 seed seems about right for Kentucky this year. That pretty much where I expected the committee would put them.

Agreed.

WVRed
03-12-2006, 08:26 PM
How do you feel about the draw? It's a sucky draw, but I don't think we really have any ground to stand on as far as complaining...

I was expecting a 7 or 8. Especially when the last team we beat in the SEC tournament got a 10 seed. I think we should be lucky to be in the tournament, we could be UC right now.:beerme:

On the other hand, Gonzaga should have been a higher seed, no way does Tennessee deserve a no 2 seed.

Reds Fanatic
03-12-2006, 08:28 PM
I was expecting a 7 or 8. Especially when the last team we beat in the SEC tournament got a 10 seed. I think we should be lucky to be in the tournament, we could be UC right now.:beerme:

On the other hand, Gonzaga should have been a higher seed, no way does Tennessee deserve a no 2 seed.
Tennessee is about the weakest no 2 seed I have ever seen in the tournament.

WVRed
03-12-2006, 08:38 PM

Not nearly as weak as Memphis being a no 1.

If Memphis got a no 1, Gonzaga should have been higher. Conference USA is not the same as when Louisville and UC were there, its a weak conference with two good teams.

I see Arkansas giving Memphis a run for their money and possibly being knocked off by Pitt or Kansas.

captainmorgan07
03-12-2006, 09:50 PM
UAB wins then gets beat by 10 to UCONN

Heath
03-12-2006, 10:01 PM
I figured UK was a 7. And then they might have been matched up in Dayton with a potential 2nd rounder against Ohio State.

OSU gets Davidson again. It would be an interesting regional final if Ohio State gets that far to face Villanova.

cumberlandreds
03-13-2006, 11:31 AM
UK got the seed they deserved. Eight and nine seeds are for teams that had uneven seasons or punishment for having poor schedules(GW). UAB will be a very tough game for the Cats. UAB plays a style that will cause them a lot of problems. I think the Cats will win but it will be a very close game. And or all their trouble of winning they get UConn, an easy one.;)

KronoRed
03-13-2006, 12:48 PM
They get the highest SEC seed over both the regular (LSU) and tourney champs (Florida)

:confused:

Thanks to Sandy for pointing that out for me

Blimpie
03-13-2006, 02:13 PM
I agree that the Cats deserved a # 8 seed, but it is just a little too funny that they chose UAB to be their # 9 opponent. The other # 9 seeds UK could have faced were Wisconsin, Bucknell or UNC Wilmington. The latter two are not in the same class as UAB, and--if I were Tubby--I would even rather played the more physical Wisconsin club than I would UAB. With UCONN lurking (and very well rested thanks to Syracuse), it doesn't really matter at this point. Philadelphia, too, was an interesting choice of UK's game location for the committee. Not only was UK vs. Duke ('92) played there, but so was another awful UK tourney exit game vs. Southern Cal ('01).

As always, the committee does have it's sense of humor. Why else whould they put (up and coming) Coach John Pelphrey's South Alabama club in the first round cross-hairs of his former mentor, Billy Donovan and the Gators? The only way that matchup is possible is if they give Florida the # 3 seed. Although they win the SEC tourney impressively, the committee gives the # 2 seed to Tennessee instead?

Speaking of Tennessee...don't think for a minute that they are going to coast over Winthrop. That team is WAY underrated as a # 15 seed and Tennessee looked awful vs. South Carolina on Friday. Tennessee may not even advance to the second round.

WVRed
03-13-2006, 02:35 PM
As always, the comittee does have it's sense of humor. Why else whould they put (up and coming) Coach John Pelphrey's South Alabama club in the first round cross-hairs of his former mentor, Billy Donovan and the Gators? The only way that matchup is possible is if they give Florida the # 3 seed. Although they win the SEC tourney impressively, the committee gives the # 2 seed to Tennessee instead?

I think RPI factored heavily into Tennessee.

There was a rumor going around the SEC tournament(both SI and the Mobile Register reported this) the Tubby to Charlotte rumors again, with an even more interesting twist. Apparently UK would be expected to go after Billy Donovan, with John Pelphrey replacing Donovan at Florida.

That was the first thing that went through my mind when they announced Florida and South Alabama.

kyred14
03-13-2006, 03:16 PM
I think RPI factored heavily into Tennessee.

There was a rumor going around the SEC tournament(both SI and the Mobile Register reported this) the Tubby to Charlotte rumors again, with an even more interesting twist. Apparently UK would be expected to go after Billy Donovan, with John Pelphrey replacing Donovan at Florida.

That was the first thing that went through my mind when they announced Florida and South Alabama.

Wow, Florida gets the better end of that one.

WVRed
03-13-2006, 04:33 PM
Wow, Florida gets the better end of that one.

I agree, Pelphrey could be this years Bruce Pearl. I liken him to Travis Ford though with his UK connections. He might not have the success of Pearl, but he will be a good coach wherever he ends up.

I think Donovan would be an upgrade over Tubby all the way around. The only turn off I have with Donovan is the players he recruits, such as Matt Walsh and Joakim Noah. However, he does get the most out of the kids he brings in.

KronoRed
03-13-2006, 05:24 PM
Pelphrey has more of a UK connection then Donnavan, I see him being a candidate above Billy.

kyred14
03-13-2006, 08:58 PM
I agree, Pelphrey could be this years Bruce Pearl. I liken him to Travis Ford though with his UK connections. He might not have the success of Pearl, but he will be a good coach wherever he ends up.

I think Donovan would be an upgrade over Tubby all the way around. The only turn off I have with Donovan is the players he recruits, such as Matt Walsh and Joakim Noah. However, he does get the most out of the kids he brings in.

I don't know about that, he hasn't seen the second weekend of the tournament since 2000. I'd much rather have Tubby. The thought of Tubby leaving and Billy D coaching UK doesn't toot my horn much.

macro
03-14-2006, 12:27 AM
This year's first-round NCAA Tournament loss will mark the second time that has happened at UK since the 1982 team was embarassed by Middle Tennessee.

cumberlandreds
03-14-2006, 08:32 AM
This year's first-round NCAA Tournament loss will mark the second time that has happened at UK since the 1982 team was embarassed by Middle Tennessee.

I hate to say it being a UK fan but I can think of at least two other times they have lost in the first round. In 1981 they lost to UAB and in 1987 they lost to Ohio State.:(

WVRed
03-14-2006, 11:27 AM

Its like you are already writing them off.:)

macro
03-14-2006, 03:27 PM
I hate to say it being a UK fan but I can think of at least two other times they have lost in the first round. In 1981 they lost to UAB and in 1987 they lost to Ohio State.:(

Yep, I didn't forget the 1981 loss. Just cut off at 1982 to make this year look like more of a rarity. :D Boy, those Bowie-Turpin teams of the early 80s were the ultimate underachievers. They finally made a Final Four by playing their regional on their home court in 1984, then proceeded to go 3 for 33 shooting against Gtown in the second half of their game.

WV, yeah I guess I have written them off. Maybe they will surprise me, but in all honesty, I don't care because it's only one extra game anyway. UConn will end their season if UAB doesn't, so why not get it over with Friday and spare me two hours on Sunday?

Sweetstop
03-14-2006, 04:41 PM
Schizophrenic as this team is, maybe a new personality (aka the demon-slayer) will emerge Fri. night. One can hope.

Naaaaaahh. It will probably be the ego-centered child..."me me me-ing all the way home."

IslandRed
03-14-2006, 05:02 PM
Boy, those Bowie-Turpin teams of the early 80s were the ultimate underachievers.

Well, if you want to get technical, there was really only one Bowie-Turpin team, in the sense of both of them playing meaningful minutes...

Blimpie
03-15-2006, 01:40 PM
Yep, I didn't forget the 1981 loss. Just cut off at 1982 to make this year look like more of a rarity. :D Boy, those Bowie-Turpin teams of the early 80s were the ultimate underachievers. They finally made a Final Four by playing their regional on their home court in 1984, then proceeded to go 3 for 33 shooting against Gtown in the second half of their game.Macro: If I give you $ 20, will you promise to never speak of that game on this board again? :cry:

I remember it like yesterday...that is, if yesterday somebody gave me a heart-punch or a kick in the stones. 11th grade year--watched the game in my den with my best friend. We didn't say ONE word to each other during the entire second half. UK bricked the first 21(?) shots of the second half. I think Jim Master finally hit a 18 foot jumper, but it was long over before that. The headline in the Lexington Herald Leader the next day simply read: 9.9% (the FG percentage UK shot for the second half)

When the final buzzer sounded, my friend calmly stood up and said, "Goodbye..." and walked out the door. That friend died four years later of Cystic Fibrosis and--until the day he passed--we never once spoke to each other about the Georgetown game.

macro
03-15-2006, 06:12 PM
Macro: If I give you $ 20, will you promise to never speak of that game on this board again? :cry:

I remember it like yesterday...that is, if yesterday somebody gave me a heart-punch or a kick in the stones. 11th grade year--watched the game in my den with my best friend. We didn't say ONE word to each other during the entire second half. UK bricked the first 21(?) shots of the second half. I think Jim Master finally hit a 18 foot jumper, but it was long over before that. The headline in the Lexington Herald Leader the next day simply read: 9.9% (the FG percentage UK shot for the second half)

When the final buzzer sounded, my friend calmly stood up and said, "Goodbye..." and walked out the door. That friend died four years later of Cystic Fibrosis and--until the day he passed--we never once spoke to each other about the Georgetown game.

Well, Blimpie, I'm about to blow the $20, but I'm going to reply to your post. ;)

After the 1984 Final Four debacle, I heard speculation that perhaps UK tanked that game on purpose, for gamblers. Did you ever hear that? Of course, that would be an easy rumor to get started, but I always wondered. I mean, I have never seen any team above the middle school level play that badly. It was just too unbelievable to believe.

I am sorry to hear the story about your friend. I'm sure your reasons for not wanting to talk about that day go deeper than the outcome of the game. :(

Reds4Life
03-15-2006, 07:11 PM
Who ever lands Mike Anderson (if he leaves UAB) is getting a helluva coach. I hope that UC makes a run at him, the defensive physical brand of basketball that Anderson teaches is perfect for the Big East.

I'm not sure why UK fans are so down on this game, granted UK hasn't had a great year, but you still have a pretty good chance to beat UAB.

Heath
03-15-2006, 10:37 PM
Macro: If I give you $ 20, will you promise to never speak of that game on this board again? :cry:

I remember that game from a different angle. Dayton was the darling "Cinderella" story that year, and played Georgetown in the Regional Finals. No one gave Dayton a shot, and they played well enough, but Georgetown was an extremely physical and borderline dirty team in those days, and they sure were not going to let Dayton past.

I can remember talking to someone about it the other day who was connected to the Flyer program in the early '80's. The Flyers thought they could take Kentucky if they gotten that far. But Georgetown physically outmanned the Flyers.

WVRed
03-16-2006, 06:12 AM
Who ever lands Mike Anderson (if he leaves UAB) is getting a helluva coach. I hope that UC makes a run at him, the defensive physical brand of basketball that Anderson teaches is perfect for the Big East.

I'm not sure why UK fans are so down on this game, granted UK hasn't had a great year, but you still have a pretty good chance to beat UAB.

I think you just answered your own question.

Anderson is a hell of a coach, and that is the reason UAB will win. He outcoached Tubby once before, and I expect him to do it again.

Blimpie
03-16-2006, 08:30 PM
Well, Blimpie, I'm about to blow the $20, but I'm going to reply to your post. ;)

After the 1984 Final Four debacle, I heard speculation that perhaps UK tanked that game on purpose, for gamblers. Did you ever hear that? Of course, that would be an easy rumor to get started, but I always wondered. I mean, I have never seen any team above the middle school level play that badly. It was just too unbelievable to believe.

I am sorry to hear the story about your friend. I'm sure your reasons for not wanting to talk about that day go deeper than the outcome of the game. :(Thanks for the kind words, Macro. Yeah, the point shaving theory was one the most popular of some pretty whack conspiracy theories floating around. I also remember that there were some UK engineering students that year that--through the magic of a "VHS playing machine"--were trying to prove that UK's rim during that half was situated at an improper height/angle...presumably explaining the bricks. Their theory didn't exactly have legs when you considered that Georgetown shot on the same rim during the first half of the game. :bang:

One newspaper editorial actually suggested that Denny Crum hired a spy to sit in lower arena an periodically fire a miniature laser beam at the ball while it was in flight. Now THAT was a theory I could get with. :thumbup:

Blimpie
03-16-2006, 08:47 PM
I think you just answered your own question.

Anderson is a hell of a coach, and that is the reason UAB will win. He outcoached Tubby once before, and I expect him to do it again.WVRed: Don't get me wrong--the better and more athletic team won that night two years ago. But, while Anderson did outcoach Tubby in 2004, one would have to give an assist to Nolan Richardson for the victory.

Back in 2004, Tubby was being his ever gracious self when he invited Nolan Richardson to be his guest and attend UK's final pre-NCAA practice (which was closed to the media). Prior to then, Tubby had always considered Nolan his mentor as well as a vanguard for all black D-I head basketball coaches. Richardson DID attend the practice...then visited Anderson for a strategy meeting that lasted half the night.

On game night, Richardson wore UAB's colors and sat behind their bench. It was one thing to actively root against UK all night long (which he did)--but is was quite another thing to call out defensive sets and scream the plays that UK was trying to run that night (which he also did). Richardson denies nothing of which I have stated.

After the game, Richardson was hooping and hollering in the UAB locker room so loudly that he was overheard by the entire media covering the game. "You shook up the world....Mighty Kentucky has fallen !!!!" he was heard to scream that night. The relationship between Tubby and Nolan was forever tarnished after that night.

Even this week, Richardson has been asked to comment on what transpired two years ago. Not only is he not remorseful for his behavior towards his close friend, he said he would do it all over again because "UK didn't do a thing for me when I was being fired (at Arkansas)..." I guess he expected that Tubby would resign from UK in protest due to the way that Frank Broyles was treating him during the ordeal.

You are right that Anderson is a hell of a coach. But just make sure that you know that it is not because of that one victory.

Blimpie
03-16-2006, 09:02 PM
I agree that the Cats deserved a # 8 seed, but it is just a little too funny that they chose UAB to be their # 9 opponent. The other # 9 seeds UK could have faced were Wisconsin, Bucknell or UNC Wilmington. The latter two are not in the same class as UAB, and--if I were Tubby--I would even rather played the more physical Wisconsin club than I would UAB. With UCONN lurking (and very well rested thanks to Syracuse), it doesn't really matter at this point. Philadelphia, too, was an interesting choice of UK's game location for the committee. Not only was UK vs. Duke ('92) played there, but so was another awful UK tourney exit game vs. Southern Cal ('01).

As always, the committee does have it's sense of humor. Why else whould they put (up and coming) Coach John Pelphrey's South Alabama club in the first round cross-hairs of his former mentor, Billy Donovan and the Gators? The only way that matchup is possible is if they give Florida the # 3 seed. Although they win the SEC tourney impressively, the committee gives the # 2 seed to Tennessee instead?

Speaking of Tennessee...don't think for a minute that they are going to coast over Winthrop. That team is WAY underrated as a # 15 seed and Tennessee looked awful vs. South Carolina on Friday. Tennessee may not even advance to the second round.Okay, I know that close doesn't count, but I was one Chris Lofton buzzer-beater away from officially changing my username to "Nostrablimpus"....:D

Blimpie
03-17-2006, 01:53 PM
It is agonizing to watch all of this fantastic basketball for two days...and yet the are still eight hours to go before this game tips off..

WVRed
03-18-2006, 06:06 AM
I guess I stand corrected, Kentucky beat UAB 69-64.

After watching UConn play Albany, im starting to think we have a chance, albeit a slim one.

Blimpie
03-18-2006, 02:26 PM
I believe that I am leaning the other way, WVRed...My feelings are that UConn now has already had their clunker game for the tourney and that Sunday afternoon they will be ALL BIDNESS. It was pretty telling that Jim Calhoun was personally scouting the two potential opponents in the arena last night, no?

Regarding the UK game last night, at first glance of the box score, it appears as though Bobby Perry was the only one who played hard. However, I actually credit the game to Rondo. He was simply amazing with his composure. There is not another point guard on Earth who could be defended by Speedy for 35 minutes and finish without a single turnover. Don't think that every single one of his 10 rebounds were not huge either. UAB's press was simply never a factor in the game at any point--I credit that to Rondo.

The free throw thing to me is a bit more troubling. The quotes from the game were all saying, "This is the tourney--we knew we had to focus..." Why not focus the whole year? There were at least three losses that I can recall where our free throw shooting was the main culprit this season. What worries me know is they will all rest on their collective laurels and say, "Well, NOW we know we can hit them at least..." When that happens, it will rapidly regress back to the 65% mess from the regular season.

To have a prayer versus UConnm the shots will have to fall somewhere near a 50% clip. Those points will most likely have to come from the outside due to UConn's superior talent in the front court. Look for Morris to be in foul trouble while getting off the elevator in this one. The injury to Crawford's eye last night did not appear serious, so I am terrified that he will be looking to restate his title as the main outside scoring threat. The team played such a controlled and ultra-patient game last night without Crawford--I just hope he is not the fly in the ointment tomorrow.

cumberlandreds
03-20-2006, 07:17 AM
Almost but no cigar for UK. I only got to see the last five minutes of the game due to the George Mason game being on here in the DC area. Apparently they played an inspired and very hard the entire game. Its too bad this team couldn't have played this hard all season. They would have at least four or five less losses and a much better seed. Tubby has promised changes in the off season and I am hoping the late season better and harder play will spur a much better season next year. Now is the time of the season I have come to despise. The waiting on who will go pro and who will stay. If everyone comes back with the right attitude UK could be a top ten team but if they don't have the right work ethic then it will be a carbon copy of this season.

macro
03-20-2006, 10:22 AM
Its too bad this team couldn't have played this hard all season. They would have at least four or five less losses and a much better seed. Tubby has promised changes in the off season and I am hoping the late season better and harder play will spur a much better season next year.

Didn't UK go through this same scenario three or four years ago, when they had a couple of players with bad attitudes that brought the season down? To his credit, Tubby did get rid of those guys, and a couple of #1 seeds followed. But why must they go through this so often?

Now is the time of the season I have come to despise. The waiting on who will go pro and who will stay.

There is no one on the UK roster that is ready for the NBA. If any go, it will be a terrible mistake.

WMR
03-20-2006, 10:56 AM
There is no one on the UK roster that is ready for the NBA. If any go, it will be a terrible mistake.

We've never seen that before...

Joe Crawford continued to be an enigma... I've heard he'll transfer to Michigan... honestly, it might be for the best.

Did anyone see when Bradley subbed in for Rondo and Bradley tried to give Rondo his towel and Rondo wouldn't take it and Bradley then threw it at his back? This team has got several players that obviously cannot stand one another...

Where was the team we saw yesterday during every other game this year?

And the free throw thing... was it just laziness or lack of concentration that prevented them from shooting a comparable percentage during the rest of the season?

And was it just me or did Morris look like he had the flu? The guy looked awful (not his play, his health).

Oh yeah, and the refs really screwed us over whenever they got the chance yesterday. Every call that they *could* make in UCONN's favor inevitably went that way.

Blimpie
03-20-2006, 04:14 PM
While I hate to see him go, Sparks departure will actually help team morale somewhat. Not only did his shot attempts cannibalize the attempts of others (Crawford, Bradley, and Rondo), but his off the court relationships involving other players became toxic very early on this season.

If Perry continues to work hard during the offseason, he will be starting at the #3/#4 spot next year. Morris is a lock for center. If Crawford stays, he becomes your # 2/#3 starter (not my choice--but Tubby will be craving a scorer come October). The real mess will be at point guard. Both Rondo and Bradley are going to feel that they deserve a shot at point. Neither is really suited at off guard. Bradley COULD do it with his outside shot--but he lacks the physical size that is sometimes needed at the position. Rondo has six months remaining to develop an outside shot; otherwise the NBA will completely lose interest...

The bench could be seasoned, if nothing else. Sims and Thomas will be your first options off the bench at the forward position. Look for Jared Carter to supplant Woo and Allene as the main backup to Morris. If Crawford DOES depart, we could have some seriously youth gaining minutes at the guard position. That prospect scares me most of all.

WVRed
03-20-2006, 06:58 PM
I think Rondo is gone regardless. He is a terrific defender and when not asked to be the go to guy, he can be the most unselfish man on the court. His jump shot can be advanced at the next level, so I dont see that causing much worry.

Don't know about Crawford, but i've heard Woo may be going pro in Europe. Alleyne may not cut it due to grades, and Bradley may transfer if Rondo does stay.

Sweetstop
03-20-2006, 08:14 PM
Woo said in today's Lex. HL that he definitely plans to stay, and Alleyne said he does go to class and is on target to graduate.

Watch for coaching staff shake-up.

Blimpie
03-21-2006, 08:10 AM
WVRed: I dunno, but I just don't see the pro scouts being too high on Rondo after this sophmore campaign. He would have been a better prospect had he left after his freshman year IMO. Sure, Rondo's outside shot "can be advanced" at the next level--but is he worth a draft pick when there are already many more capable shooters (many on whom are still alive in this NCAA tourney) from the point guard position? At this point, what else does he bring to the table for NBA teams besides his defense? Assists? Both Sparks and Bradley had better assist instincts this year than did Rondo. Free throws? Rondo hit 40% of his free throws during the SEC portion of the season. Don't say rebounding either--because that won't be a factor at the next level. I am not sure it would have even been a factor on any other D-I team this year. UK's frontline rebounding apathy greatly contributed to Rondo's board numbers. Don't get me wrong...I like Rondo just fine. I just don't see him succeeding in the NBA with his current skillset.

Regarding the rumored coaching staff shakeup...There were quite a few rumblings during the SEC tourney about how fond Tubby was of Rod Barnes' abilities as a coach (read: DEFENSE, DEFENSE, DEFENSE). Reporters even asked Tubby if he ever considered adding Barnes to his staff. His response was that there "were no openings at this time.."

I wonder about openings at THIS time. David Hobbs has primarily handled the defense the last few years. Strangely enough, this year was one of the poorest UK defensive efforts in recent memory. The blowout losses to IU and Kansas will be etched in fans memories for a long, long time. Add to that fact that Hobbs missed time this year with some mysterious ailment (that was not disclosed to the public)--could he be replaced by Barnes?