PDA

View Full Version : Bullpen questions?

UPRedsFan
03-14-2006, 05:42 PM
Burns, Robbins and Shackleford seem to be giving Coffey, Wagner and Belisle a run for their money. I'm making the unpopular assumption that White's spot is secure leaving 3 spots up for grabs.

In my mind Belisle needs to make this roster because of his versatility - ability to start. Wagner should be there because of his stuff and his ability to dominate when he's on. I'm beginning to think Coffey's not ready and one of the other 3 should be given a chance. What do we know about Robbins? He's got 6 K's in 5 IP and a 1.0 whip! Don't know what kind of hitting he's been facing, but does anyone know his history - is he a hard thrower?

UPRedsFan
03-17-2006, 07:24 PM
Ok I know spring training numbers don't count but they sure are fun to look at.

Burns, Robbins and Wagner have WHIP below 1.0 and Shackleford and Belisle are right at 1.0. Coffey seems to be pitching himself back to Louisville, he's at 1.7 - right on track with '05 when he was around 1.6.

So which of these 5 do you think are pretending and which have potential to contribute to making for a solid bullpen?

Caveat Emperor
03-17-2006, 08:14 PM
Ok I know spring training numbers don't count but they sure are fun to look at.

Burns, Robbins and Wagner have WHIP below 1.0 and Shackleford and Belisle are right at 1.0. Coffey seems to be pitching himself back to Louisville, he's at 1.7 - right on track with '05 when he was around 1.6.

So which of these 5 do you think are pretending and which have potential to contribute to making for a solid bullpen?

I don't think any combination of those 5 individuals adds up to a servicable bullpen, much less a solid one.

But, since the question was put out there for consumption, I'd probably say that Belisle and Wagner have the best shot to make the club out of the pen -- Wagner because he's a top draft pick and theoretically is closer material, and Belisle because he has the ability to spot-start if needed and has shown flashes of effectiveness in the regular season.

Coffee, at this point, I can take or leave. I've yet to see him display the kind of "dominating" stuff he had in the minor leagues.

Shackleford lost any inside track into the bullpen the moment the Reds signed Chris Hammond this offseason. He and Mercker will be the two lefties that the Reds take north with them at the start of the season. I expect he'll drop back to Louisville and could be an injury replacement for someone down the road.

Burns and Robbins -- beware spring training numbers for middle relievers, who are likely striking out guys destined for the bus routes of the mid-minors when they eventually get into games.

The Reds will take 12 pitchers north -- the 5 starters (Harang, Claussen, Williams, Milton & Wilson) and 7 relievers (Weathers, Mercker, Hammond, Standridge, White, Wagner, and Belisle). Maybe Coffee bumps out Standridge or White -- who knows. It's a crummy pitching staff no matter how you slice it.

UPRedsFan
03-17-2006, 08:50 PM
I'd sooner give Robbins or Burns a shot before taking Standridge north.