PDA

View Full Version : Reds Claim 2B/OF Matt Kata

RedLegSuperStar
03-15-2006, 05:27 PM
Also released Allen Simpson.. see.. Jose Acevedo was a waste!

Rotoworld.com

VI_RedsFan
03-15-2006, 05:37 PM
Mysterious move. I smell a Menechino and/or Womack cut.

Falls City Beer
03-15-2006, 05:43 PM
Could be Krivsky's yen for soft-tossing control guys. The only hardthrower Krivsky cottoned to in his years with the Twins was Joe Nathan. Krivs likes him some creampuffs (Mays, Radke). He'll love Williams and Claussen. And Milton v. 2005.

Poor control gasthrowers beware. Pitch to contact by any other name....

traderumor
03-15-2006, 05:47 PM
Could be Krivsky's yen for soft-tossing control guys. The only hardthrower Krivsky cottoned to in his years with the Twins was Joe Nathan. Krivs likes him some creampuffs (Mays, Radke). He'll love Williams and Claussen. And Milton v. 2005.

Poor control gasthrowers beware. Pitch to contact by any other name....Poor control gets you the boot whether you throw gas or creampuffs. Simpson was fodder, added nothing to our depth, was received in value for what we gave up and did nothing to show improving command. Don't let the door hit on the way out.

Falls City Beer
03-15-2006, 05:54 PM
Poor control gets you the boot whether you throw gas or creampuffs. Simpson was fodder, added nothing to our depth, was received in value for what we gave up and did nothing to show improving command. Don't let the door hit on the way out.

Well, poor control is usually part and parcel of being a hardthrower. And my point was less a cry to keep someone like Simpson around as it was a way of mining Krivsky's philosophy, which seems to stress control over stuff--not my way of seeing things at all, btw. Control can be taught; stuff, no matter how hard people try to convince me otherwise, can't.

I don't think we'll be seeing someone like, say, a Scott Williamson under Krivsky. Which is a shame. A healthy, control-impaired Scott Williamson is better than 95% of all pitchers in MLB.

Nugget
03-15-2006, 10:31 PM
There is no way Simpson was going to make the 25 man to go up north. There are plenty ahead of him. His out of options so rather carry him through ST they might as well release. If no one wants him he can still come back on a minor league contract.

IslandRed
03-15-2006, 11:12 PM
Well, poor control is usually part and parcel of being a hardthrower. And my point was less a cry to keep someone like Simpson around as it was a way of mining Krivsky's philosophy, which seems to stress control over stuff--not my way of seeing things at all, btw. Control can be taught; stuff, no matter how hard people try to convince me otherwise, can't.

I don't think we'll be seeing someone like, say, a Scott Williamson under Krivsky. Which is a shame. A healthy, control-impaired Scott Williamson is better than 95% of all pitchers in MLB.

The Twins have no shortage of young guys with stuff, so where you get the idea that Krivsky hates hard throwers, I have no idea, even if you're giving him single-handed credit for what's in the Twins organization. Maybe you're right, maybe he's going to focus on guys who throw strikes and cut less slack to the Colt Griffin Lites. But I don't think Williamson's a good example. Williamson was wild at times, but it was an effective wild; he proved from day one he could keep runs off the board in spite of the walks.

I don't think Krivsky's really doing anything except clearing out failed prospects he doesn't think will be anything. The fact that a couple of them are hard throwers isn't surprising, because guys with track records like that who can't conjure up the "what if" of a mid-90s fastball would have been out of baseball already.

Caveat Emperor
03-16-2006, 02:14 AM

If you can't throw strikes consistently, you're less than worthless as a pitcher.

A "stuff" guy with no command is just as detrimental to a team in the bullpen or in the rotation than a soft-tosser who gets his brains beat around the ballpark. 6 Luke Hudsons to half a dozen Joey Hamiltons.

traderumor
03-16-2006, 06:46 AM

I don't think we'll be seeing someone like, say, a Scott Williamson under Krivsky. Which is a shame. A healthy, control-impaired Scott Williamson is better than 95% of all pitchers in MLB.Control can be taught, just like math can. That doesn't mean everyone is going to get it, and Simpson is one of them, as is Hudson. Those two are what they are at their age, which is wild as goose guys who can throw hard. As far as Krivsky's philosophy, I'm not sure you can mine anything from cuts of scrubs like Siimpson and Hudson except to say two more bad pitchers have been removed. Hopefully they will be replaced by two non-bad pitchers at some point that get people out and keep the other team from scoring with whatever stuff they may have.

Falls City Beer
03-16-2006, 08:05 AM
Did Simpson fall under the "no" control category, as some of you have it?

You all are strawmanning me. Of course, someone with NO control has no place in baseball, but I'm talking about control-challenged hardthrowers like Williamson. And I'm not drawing a parallel between Scott and Simpson necessarily, or even saying that Simpson was worth keeping. All I'm saying is that a hardthrowing pitcher is gone and some sub-worthless second baseman has taken his place. Bad math, IMO.

So far Krivsky's delivered Timo, Hatteberg, and Kata. *Fart*

puca
03-16-2006, 08:38 AM
Yawn. Why the let Simpson go is a much less interesting question than why Kata was brought in. Simpson is 29, well past the age where anyone should expect him to suddenly find control and carve out a big league career. All it says to me is that if Krivsky doesn't think you are any good, he is not shy about letting you go - no matter what your numbers this spring look like.

Kata on the other hand is redundant, and something has to give. Either Freel is going to be traded soon or he is going to be given the starting 2b job and Womack will be shown the door. Nothing else makes sense for me. It is pretty nice to have a 2b/of on your bench, but you don't need two of them.
I guess it is possible that Krivsky wants Kata for the AAA insurance and is counting on him passing through waivers at the end of ST. Personally I like the Womack sent packing theory.

Either that or Krivsky is just practicing waiver claims for when it really counts.

IslandRed
03-16-2006, 11:40 AM
The main difference between Kata and the plethora of other utility types is his defensive profile, supposedly. He's supposedly good at 2B and 3B, decent at SS, and apparently has set foot in the outfield also. That might make him a decent bench option considering our other multi-position infielders really ain't all that with the glove.

I really, really hope it reflects a thinking that Freel will get the majority of 2B starts and Womack's out of here, but we'll see.

Caveat Emperor
03-16-2006, 12:23 PM
All I'm saying is that a hardthrowing pitcher is gone and some sub-worthless second baseman has taken his place. Bad math, IMO.

A hardthrowing pitcher with no control is gone and some sub-worthless second baseman has taken his place. That's a zerosum game as far as I'm concerned: Crap in, Crap Back.

Too many people on this board (not singling you out FCB, or even saying you fit into this category) fall in love with people who throw hard because it's such a rarity in the Reds organization over the past few years. Unfortunately, simply loading back and firing isn't enough to make it in the big leagues, as pitchers like Hudson and Simpson have proven.

redsmetz
03-16-2006, 01:03 PM
Unfortunately, simply loading back and firing isn't enough to make it in the big leagues, as pitchers like Hudson and Simpson have proven.

I think guys like Tom Seaver show that at some point, you have to have more than just "stuff". Seaver became a much savvier pitcher late in his career. Of course, Tom Terrific was always "smarter than your average bear" sort of guys. I still pinch myself to think he actually pitched for the Reds for five years (or so) - and should have won the Cy Young the year he came over!

TeamBoone
03-16-2006, 01:16 PM
Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Reds pick up Kata
BY JOHN FAY | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITER

SARASOTA, Fla. – When Reds general manager Wayne Krivsky saw Matt Kata’s name on the waiver wire, he saw a player he liked so much that he decided to put in a claim.

Never mind that Kata is a versatile infielder, joining Ryan Freel, Rich Aurilia and Tony Womack in that category on the roster.

“He’s a quality pro who can play second, third, shortstop or outfield,” Krivsky said.

And where does Kata fit in?

“I’ll let (Reds manager Jerry Narron) work that out,” Krivsky said.

The move would certainly put the Reds in position to trade one of the aforementioned infielders.

The Reds signed Kata off waivers from the Philadelphia Phillies on Wednesday – the only day off this spring.

The make room for Kata on the 40-man roster, the Reds released right-hander Allan Simpson.

Simpson, 28, was obtained for right-hander Jose Acevedo from the Colorado Rockies on April 9 of last year. He spent most of last year at Triple-A Louisville, going 4-4 with a 4.06 ERA. He was called up to the Reds in September and went 0-1 with a 6.75 ERA.

Simpson has a powerful arm, but has struggled with control – a walk every other inning throughout his career. He was 1-0 and had not given up a run in five games this spring.

He was out of options, so the Reds would have had to put him on waivers to get him to the minors.

Kata, who turned 28 on Tuesday, has appeared in 160 big league games. He has a .248 career average with nine home runs and 42 RBI.

He appeared in seven games for the Phillies this spring and went 4-for-21 with an RBI.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060315/SPT04/303150015/1071

Falls City Beer
03-16-2006, 07:55 PM
A hardthrowing pitcher with no control is gone and some sub-worthless second baseman has taken his place. That's a zerosum game as far as I'm concerned: Crap in, Crap Back.

Too many people on this board (not singling you out FCB, or even saying you fit into this category) fall in love with people who throw hard because it's such a rarity in the Reds organization over the past few years. Unfortunately, simply loading back and firing isn't enough to make it in the big leagues, as pitchers like Hudson and Simpson have proven.

All I'm saying is this, take from it what you will: even though this swap of Kata for Simpson means next to nothing in the grand scheme of the Reds' morass, chucking a hard throwing arm (no matter his level of control) for a redundant, talentless 2nd baseman is ill-advised. At the best it's meaningless; at the worst it's mildly detrimental.

puca
03-16-2006, 10:28 PM
The way I see it Kata improves the bench, assuming that Womack is the one to go and Freel slides into 2b. On the otherhand I can't imagine a senerio where Simpson would have improved the bullpen.

Falls City Beer
03-16-2006, 10:34 PM
The way I see it Kata improves the bench, assuming that Womack is the one to go and Freel slides into 2b. On the otherhand I can't imagine a senerio where Simpson would have improved the bullpen.

I agree that dumping Womack and installing Freel at 2nd makes the team better, but what does Kata have do with that? Kata in no way helps the team. Simpson probably wouldn't either. But I'd rather roll my dice with a pitcher than some nada like Kata.

pedro
03-16-2006, 10:47 PM
I agree that dumping Womack and installing Freel at 2nd makes the team better, but what does Kata have do with that? Kata in no way helps the team. Simpson probably wouldn't either. But I'd rather roll my dice with a pitcher than some nada like Kata.

he's just there in case they trade Freel and cut Womack and Aurilia gets hurt.

and they cut menechino

and they realize that bergolla and olmedo suck.

Falls City Beer
03-16-2006, 10:50 PM
he's just there in case they trade Freel and cut Womack and Aurilia gets hurt.

and they cut menechino

and they realize that bergolla and olmedo suck.

I think the new regime's tack is to bore fans into buying season ticket packages. I mean, it's not like anybody's tried that method before.

SteelSD
03-17-2006, 12:54 AM
Reds pick up Kata
BY JOHN FAY | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITER

SARASOTA, Fla. – When Reds general manager Wayne Krivsky saw Matt Kata’s name on the waiver wire, he saw a player he liked so much that he decided to put in a claim.

Never mind that Kata is a versatile infielder, joining Ryan Freel, Rich Aurilia and Tony Womack in that category on the roster.

The move would certainly put the Reds in position to trade one of the aforementioned infielders.

Dear John,

If you haven't yet figured it out, let me shine a little light on the situation...

Rich Aurilia and Tony Womack are pretty much untradeable. Well, unless Dan O'Brien suddenly became the General Manager of a different team.

Having a clue is an important part of journalism.

Sincerely,

SteelSD

tbball10
03-17-2006, 07:15 AM
i don't know what the reasoning is behind this move. i liked simpson and thought he had some upside, and he also was having a good spring. the main reason this is abad move is because we definitely don't need more utility guys that can't hit and aren't that great of fielders as well.

puca
03-17-2006, 08:27 AM
I was going to make another post semi-defending this move, but then I looked up some numbers and realized Kata is less of a hitter than I thought. I was remembering his almost decent rookie year.

Even if Womack is released I would rather have Menechino as the utility guy.

I am still not shedding tears over the loss of Simpson, but Kata best role appears to be as a AAA utility guy. I'll go back to my theory that Wayne was just practicing waiver claims for when it really counts.

TeamBoone
03-18-2006, 12:24 PM
Publication date: 03-16-2006

Addition swells utility corps
Deal could be prelude to trade
By Marc Lancaster / Post staff reporter

SARASOTA, Fla. - An already overflowing collection of utility players in Reds camp continued to grow Wednesday when the team claimed Matt Kata off waivers from the Phillies.

The 28-year-old, who has spent parts of the last three seasons in the majors for Philadelphia and Arizona, can play second base, third base shortstop and maybe some outfield. If that skill set sounds familiar, it's because Rich Aurilia, Ryan Freel, Frank Menechino and Tony Womack each have performed most or all of those duties already this spring.

How does Kata fit in?

"He comes in battling for a job like the rest of them," Reds general manager Wayne Krivsky said.

There aren't all that many jobs to go around. The way the roster is currently configured, there probably is room to accommodate three of the aforementioned players, maybe four.

The claim could be a prelude to a trade for pitching, giving the Reds a fallback if one of the veterans in camp or perhaps an outfielder is dealt, or it could be exactly what it represents on the surface - another interchangeable part for manager Jerry Narron. That's how Krivsky sold it Wednesday.

"One more option for Jerry, that's all," said the GM.

Kata, an Ohio native who attended Cleveland St. Ignatius High School, has a .248 average and .308 on-base percentage in 160 big-league games, all but 10 of them for the Diamondbacks.

The Arizona connection was one of the reasons the Reds took a flier on Kata. New director of baseball administration Bob Miller knows Kata well from his days in the Diamondbacks' front office, and Krivsky also had scouted Kata the last three years in his previous job with the Twins.

"He's somebody that some of us up here are pretty familiar with," Krivsky said. "He gives us a lot of versatility. He's a good athlete."

To make room for Kata on the roster, the Reds released right-hander Allan Simpson. The reliever came to the organization last April in a trade that sent Jose Acevedo to Colorado.

Billed at the time as a future late-inning reliever, he was one of the harder throwers in the Reds' system but had problems with his command. Simpson spent most of last season at Louisville, compiling a 4.06 ERA in 50 appearances that saw him walk 38 and strike out 89 in 64 1/3 innings. He was a September call-up for the Reds, allowing five runs in nine appearances.

Simpson was one of a number of pitchers locked in a fight for one or two spots in the Reds' bullpen this spring, but his chances of breaking camp with the team apparently were not good. He had yet to allow an earned run in five innings of work this spring.

"We just felt like there were other people ahead of him at this stage," Krivsky said. "We appreciate all he's done for us the last year or so and hopefully he can hook on with someone else and stay in big leagues."

http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs....603160328/1027
Publication date: 03-17-2006

TeamBoone
03-18-2006, 12:27 PM
Publication date: 03-17-2006

Newcomer Kata welcomes shot
By Marc Lancaster / Post staff reporter

SARASOTA, Fla. - The Reds' roster, as currently composed, doesn't appear to have much room for Matt Kata.

He doesn't seem to mind.

"As a ballplayer, you want opportunities, and this is an opportunity," Kata said as he readied for his first workout since being claimed off waivers from Philadelphia the day before. "I think it'll be a good move. The opportunity over in Philly really wasn't there, so hopefully this is a better situation for my style of play, and I can help the team win some ballgames."

Though Kata didn't start Thursday's exhibition game, the Reds were anxious to see what they had in their latest utility player. He entered the game at shortstop in the sixth inning and went 0-for-2 at the plate.

With two weeks of Grapefruit League games remaining, manager Jerry Narron already was facing quite a challenge in juggling infield playing time among Rich Aurilia, Ryan Freel, Frank Menechino and Tony Womack, but he had no problem with adding another variable.

"We've got some time to get the pieces to fit, and that's what we're trying to do," said Narron. "Everything I've heard is that (Kata) plays the game hard and he plays it the right way and that's what we're looking for."

Kata is well versed in the be-prepared attitude any utilityman has to carry. There's no doubt in his mind that he could play second base every day in the big leagues - he last did so for about 50 games in 2003, when he first made it to the majors with the Diamondbacks - but a regular job isn't really an option at this point.

Every big-league middle reliever or last guy off the bench was the star on various teams earlier in his career. Sometimes it's just about finding your niche, and Kata seems to have done that during his time in the majors.

"Knowing that you're versatile and you can play around the field, you can stay in this game for a long time," he said. "Any guy that's a bench player, obviously they feel like they could be playing every day, but on a team that wants to win, you've got to have all the guys on the same page and knowing their roles and being happy with their roles. You stay ready, and if something happens or there's a situation where someone goes down, you've got to jump in there and contribute."

http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060317/SPT05/603170324/1027