PDA

View Full Version : How many AAA(A) players do we need?

KySteveH
03-16-2006, 10:22 PM
Are the Reds planning to field a 2nd AAA team this year? Seems like all these guys ought to be slated for AAA:

Pitchers:

Balfour, Bong, Burns, Chiasson, Chick, Dumatrait, Germano, Gosling, Journell, Kelly, Kozlowski, Michalak, Phelps, Robbins, Ramirez, Salmon, Shackelford, Simpson, Standridge

Position Players:

Abad, Bannon, Bergolla, Buchanan, Castellano, Crozier, Denorfia, Gutierrez, Herr, Holbert, Hopper, Kata, Machado, McCracken, Menechino, Olmedo, Perez,
Rhodes, Snyder, Stratton, Torrealba, Wathan, Wise, Tordi

I guess what concerns me most in ST is that these AAAA players are taking at-bats that younger players could be taking. Wouldn't it make more sense to have the younger AA or A players get a few trips to the plate, if you need a body or two for a split-squad game?

The recent Buchanan and Kata signings are really curious.

Falls City Beer
03-16-2006, 10:37 PM
Are the Reds planning to field a 2nd AAA team this year? Seems like all these guys ought to be slated for AAA:

Pitchers:

Balfour, Bong, Burns, Chiasson, Chick, Dumatrait, Germano, Gosling, Journell, Kelly, Kozlowski, Michalak, Phelps, Robbins, Ramirez, Salmon, Shackelford, Simpson, Standridge

Position Players:

Abad, Bannon, Bergolla, Buchanan, Castellano, Crozier, Denorfia, Gutierrez, Herr, Holbert, Hopper, Kata, Machado, McCracken, Menechino, Olmedo, Perez,
Rhodes, Snyder, Stratton, Torrealba, Wathan, Wise, Tordi

I guess what concerns me most in ST is that these AAAA players are taking at-bats that younger players could be taking. Wouldn't it make more sense to have the younger AA or A players get a few trips to the plate, if you need a body or two for a split-squad game?

The recent Buchanan and Kata signings are really curious.

It's like DanO never left.

Nugget
03-16-2006, 11:01 PM
No as AA-A players who have no chance of making the big league are still going to be at minor league camp. Also in the minors (especially at AA-A level) there are particular elements of a young hitter or pitcher's game that is especially worked upon during minor league ST. You don't what those guys to go up have a few swings and fall back into bad habits. Especially if they have no chance making it into the majors this year. The guys who come to big league camp and the minor leaguers who are there to make up the numbers aren't usually going to be the young developers. They are either senior minor leaguers or guys who have a chance of making it into the big league club.

tbball10
03-17-2006, 07:09 AM
id say some of those players will be placed in chattanooga, most notably travis chick. simpson was released, which is probably the fate of some of those others as well and tordi was a late draft pick last year, so i don't see him playing in AAA.

traderumor
03-17-2006, 08:14 AM
Because of the late change in GMs, you had more in camp than usual. DanO had already extended invitations to guys by the time he was canned. Krivsky added some himself. Thus, more in camp than usual. Krivsky commented at one point and admitted there were more than he'd like in camp and that it was simply a matter of timing in the transition.

Joseph
03-17-2006, 09:27 AM
Let's not forget as many as 1/3 of those names might be outright released at some point soon if they can't help the big club.

membengal
03-18-2006, 01:53 AM
73? Of which 59 should be second basemen with little awareness of the importance of OBP?

Or was the question rhetorical?

KronoRed
03-18-2006, 02:11 AM
73? Of which 59 should be second basemen with little awareness of the importance of OBP?

Womack is cloning himself? :help:

Caveat Emperor
03-18-2006, 04:39 AM
A

Although, in all fairness to the Reds, it's not like there's anyone exactly banging down the door to the big league club that's being held back by the larger than average contingent of AAAA players in camp this year. There's really nobody that would particularly benefit from seeing spring training pitching, especially since the guys they'd see as late-game substitutes are pretty much the same guys they'll be seeing down in the minors.

I seriously can't think of a single Reds position prospect that has any chance of impacting the club significantly this year, outside of maybe Denorfia making the team as the 4th outfielder. Given that, they're free to trot out as many Tuffy Rhodes' and Quinten McCracken's as they want. It's pretty much a foregone conclusion who is coming north, as well as a forgone conclusion that the rest of the detritus lingering around the ML camp is just that.

REDREAD
03-18-2006, 08:35 AM

The sad reality is that outside of Defornia, we have no youngsters that are even close to being major league ready (I'm excluding the young relievers that appeared on the team last year).

Another sad reality is that probably 7 or 8 of those guys are going to be on the roster at some point this year.