PDA

View Full Version : Red Sox talking to the Reds about Wily Mo

Slick
03-19-2006, 08:52 PM
Here is the article below. I hope if we make the deal, it includes more than just Arroyo.

Red Sox sign Gonzalez, may deal for Pena
Ken Rosenthal / FOXSports.com

Free agent Juan Gonzalez has agreed to a minor-league contract with the Red Sox, but the Sox's quest to add power might not end there.

The team also is talking to the Reds about a trade for outfielder Wily Mo Pena, FOXSports.com has learned.
The Reds, in desperate need of starting pitching, could be targeting Red Sox right-hander Bronson Arroyo. One of their top scouts, Gene Bennett, watched Arroyo pitch against the Orioles on Sunday.

The Orioles, in need of a left fielder, are also among the teams pursuing Pena. The Cubs, too, are believed to have shown interest, but it is doubtful the Reds would trade Pena within their division. The Royals and Twins are among the other teams with possible interest.

Pena, 24, does not fit the Red Sox's typical offensive mold; his career on-base percentage is .303, and he has struck out 288 times and drawn only 54 walks in 898 lifetime plate appearances.

However, he has prodigious power, averaging one home run every 16.2 at-bats. He could serve as a backup for center fielder Coco Crisp — a position the Sox want to address — but is more suited for the corners.

Arroyo, 29, is the type of affordable pitcher that the Reds want to acquire — he is signed for $3.5 million this season, $3.8 million in 2007 and $3.95 million in '08. Pena will earn $1.25 million this season.

The Red Sox, however, also are shopping right-hander Matt Clement and left-hander David Wells; they offered Clement to the Phillies and several other clubs last week, and reportedly are discussing him in a possible deal for Pirates first baseman/outfielder Craig Wilson.

If Gonzalez makes the team, it is unclear what his role might be. David Ortiz is the Sox's full-time designated hitter and Trot Nixon their right fielder. It is possible the Sox will trade Nixon if they acquired Pena.

Gonzalez, 35, had only one at-bat last season with the Indians due to a strained right hamstring, and appeared in only 33 games with the Royals because of injuries in 2004.

Gonzalez, who has hit 434 career homers, did not make Puerto Rico's 30-man roster for the World Baseball Classic, but he has been working out with the intention of resuming his major-league career.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/5427236

MartyFan
03-19-2006, 09:24 PM
I just read that....hmmm...can someone who is stat saavy please tell me about Arroyo and any projections of his performance in GABP?

TOBTTReds
03-19-2006, 09:42 PM
I don't have numbers on him right now, but pretty sure Arroyo is very mediocre and I would never trade WMP for him. Also watched Arroyo dishout 5 runs to the Reds in the 1st inning on Tuesday. Please don't do this trade.

macro
03-20-2006, 10:17 AM
http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43877