PDA

View Full Version : Bengals sign Antonio Chatman

max venable
03-19-2006, 09:47 PM
They're also reported to still be interested in Brian Griese, Jamie Martin, and DT Lional Dalton (http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/12311)

Here's the link:
http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=5145

Chatman had 49 catches for the Packers last year but it looks like the Bengals mainly wanted him for his punt return abilities.

max venable
03-21-2006, 10:56 PM
Griese is off the board...just signed a five-year deal with the Bears. Seems nobody is interested in backing up Carson.

MWM
03-21-2006, 11:01 PM
Joey Harrington is a bad starting QB, but I don't think he'd be a bad backup. If they can sign him on the cheap he might be a good alternative. When the other alternative is Jamie Martin, I'd rather have Harrington.

max venable
03-21-2006, 11:07 PM
I think Harrington would be a great backup--maybe even an upgrade over Kitna--mainly because he can get the ball downfield. I'm betting that like Griese, Harrington is looking for a place where he can compete for the starting job.

Here's my biggest question in all this...why are the Bengals spending so much energy trying to find a backup for a guy that they're saying is going to be ready for the opener? They already signed Doug Johnson and they also have Craig Krenzel. That's not good enough? How much do you want to spend on a BACKUP? I'd rather take the $$$ and go get Sam Adams. OR...is Carson's injury worse than they're leading us to believe?

TeamBoone
03-21-2006, 11:10 PM
I thought they were saying that they expect him to be back to start the season, but it isn't etched in stone... depending on how effective his rehab is.

Patrick Bateman
03-21-2006, 11:12 PM
Harrington is a very good idea IMO. I have been targeting him since the off-season started since I figured the Lions would try to upgrade.

He would make a solid back-up with the potential to improve with some better players around him. Pretty much anyone would be better than Martin anyways.

I don't think Johnson or Krenzel are suitable back-ups especially considering Palmer's recent injury. I don't really feel comfortable with the 2 guys in any important game situations. We still have more than enough cap room to obtain a back-up QB, Adams, and other stuff too if we really needed to.

Reds Fanatic
03-21-2006, 11:20 PM
I thought they were saying that they expect him to be back to start the season, but it isn't etched in stone... depending on how effective his rehab is.
We should find out a lot more about how well Carson is doing tomorrow. He is holding a press conference at the stadium tomorrow morning at 11:45.

WMR
03-22-2006, 12:30 AM
Lots are saying Harrington will end up in Kansas City... I don't think he'll accept a back-up role w/o the chance to compete for the full-time job.

max venable
03-22-2006, 09:14 AM
Looks like the Bengals are also considering DT Grady Jackson:

Jackson said he will visit the Atlanta Falcons on Thursday and has been talking to the Cincinnati Bengals.
http://www.packersnews.com/archives/news/pack_25271490.shtml

Heath
03-22-2006, 09:17 AM
Where's the LaVar Arrington signing?

:dunno:

max venable
03-22-2006, 09:24 AM

Looks like the Phins are hot for him:

the Dolphins remained fixated on two other names who remain possibilities — quarterback Tommy Maddox and linebacker LaVar Arrington — although neither have reached agreements.

With the Dolphins' interest in Arrington on the rise, they will have to compete with the New York Giants for his services, a source said.
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/dolphins/content/sports/epaper/2006/03/22/a5c_fins_0322.html

max venable
03-22-2006, 09:39 AM
This from the Enquirer this morning:

The Bengals' focus appears to be swinging back to former Rams quarterback Jamie Martin.

Former Steelers quarterback Tommy Maddox could be entering the picture. The Bengals have talked with Vann McElroy, Maddox's agent.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060322/SPT02/603220355/1066

Danny Serafini
03-22-2006, 09:44 AM
They already signed Doug Johnson and they also have Craig Krenzel. That's not good enough?

Do you really feel comfortable with the prospect of either of them seeing significant playing time at the start of the season? Not that Jamie Martin is the answer, but they do need a #2, right now they've just got a couple of #3s.

max venable
03-22-2006, 09:50 AM
Do you really feel comfortable with the prospect of either of them seeing significant playing time at the start of the season? Not that Jamie Martin is the answer, but they do need a #2, right now they've just got a couple of #3s.
My question is mainly: How bad is Palmer's injury REALLY? Guess we'll know more after the PC today.

Reds Fanatic
03-22-2006, 10:07 AM
I was afraid Maddox's name was going to come up with all these other quaterbacks signing with other teams. Everytime Maddox has been in a game the last few years he throws the game away. Martin is not great but I would definetely take him over Maddox.

Reds Fanatic
03-22-2006, 01:59 PM
Here is what Carson said at the press conference:

http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=5150

No. 9 says he’s doing fine.

But Carson Palmer, who took Jon Kitna’s corner locker and not his No, 3 jersey, doesn’t know when he’ll be back. He does know that the May minicamps are too soon and that Opening Day is too far away to make the call.

He does know that he has normal range of motion in the reconstructed left knee and that he’s “where I should be,” 10 weeks into rehab.

“I wish I had a crystal ball. I know everyone wants to know a date when I‘ll be back. I wish I had a date. But we have to sit back and see what happens,” Palmer said Wednesday at a Paul Brown Stadium news conference, his first interview since Jan. 10 reconstructive knee surgery.

Palmer, 73 days removed from the hit by Steelers defensive end Kimo von Oelhoffen that tore two knee ligaments in the Wild Card Game at PBS, says he goes through 40 exercises a day since he returned to PBS for rehab two weeks ago. He doesn’t know when he’ll be allowed to drop back and throw, or start running, and says he’s a quarter of the way back “if this is four quarters.”

Palmer says he has no ill will toward von Oelhofen, but admitted he was so “pissed” when the Steelers won it all that he turned off the Super Bowl when Seattle fell behind.

He had much nicer things to say about the Bengals faithful that have showered him with get-well wishes and gifts that included three 10-foot greeting cards.

“Very overwhelming. It’s really touching to me and my family,” Palmer said. “It just shows the loyalty and support in Cincinnati and from the Bengals fans. It makes it that much more exciting and makes you want to work that much harder to get back. I feel like I’ve really brought something positive into their lives and it’s so special for me.”

Palmer says he’s seen replays of the hit, but that the only thing that comes to mind when he sees it is what happened later. When he was driven home that day lying on the folded seat of a truck in the third quarter, he remembers the lights of the stadium and the crowd noise fading.

“It was heartbreaking,” he said.

Palmer defended two of his receivers that have been under fire this offseason, Chris Henry for a felony gun arrest and Chad Johnson for an alleged halftime outburst in the locker room during the Wild Card loss.

“I look forward to playing with that guy. ... He made some bad decisions. He more than anybody knows ... he’ll move on,” Palmer said of Henry, one of his rehab partners.

“Chad is a fierce competitor,” Palmer said. “That happens in a negative situation like that. A lot of rumors get started after a big loss. Somebody pops off, says something they shouldn’t have said, makes something up ... nothing happened, and we’ll move on.”

Affirming his position as the Everyman Superstar, Palmer has replaced his local celebrity golf tournament with a June cornhole tournament he hopes can be staged at PBS featuring several of his teammates. He admitted he can’t golf and by then he’ll be able to toss the bags. Like the golf tourney, all proceeds are earmarked for a group of abandoned and abused children.

No doubt he’ll be signing a bunch of No. 9 jerseys that day instead of his college No. 3.

“Too late to change it now,” Palmer said. “I guess I'll stick with what works. It might make the merchandise people a little upset.”

CTA513
03-22-2006, 02:32 PM

He was probably just using the Bengals to get higher offers from the teams that are really interested in him.