PDA

View Full Version : A few questions re Wily Mo

Wheelhouse
03-20-2006, 12:03 AM
1) He didn't know he would be benched--why are people complaining that he didn't get enough work? It's the way the game is, it's not his fault.
2) I'd rather have him get 10 ABS in intense competition in the WBC than 20 in the laid back start to ST. Wouldn't you?
3) Wily Mo has always been a hard worker--why is his ethic being called into question for participating an a tournament that MLB HEAVILY encouraged players to participate in?
4) The worry that Griffey would get hurt in the WBC was far more dangerous to the Reds than Wily Mo's playing time--why has the focus been on the later? Griffey played well, but that didn't reduce the risk of injury.

Wily Mo could be a franchise player, he worked hard this winter and I think he'll have a breakout year this year. I'm so against trading him for a 4.5 era pitcher.

dougdirt
03-20-2006, 12:04 AM
5) he played winter ball. He got tons of work there also.

Caveat Emperor
03-20-2006, 12:26 AM
1) He didn't know he would be benched--why are people complaining that he didn't get enough work? It's the way the game is, it's not his fault.

With Moises Alou, Vladamir Guerrero, Juan Encarnacion and Wily Taveras on the roster with him in the outfield, he had to have good idea that he wouldn't be seeing a ton of ABs.

2) I'd rather have him get 10 ABS in intense competition in the WBC than 20 in the laid back start to ST. Wouldn't you?

I'd rather he get as many ABs as possible, no matter the location. I'd also rather see him get as much time in the outfield as possible -- it's not like he's a gold glover out there, more practice would hopefully make fly balls a little less of an adventure.

3) Wily Mo has always been a hard worker--why is his ethic being called into question for participating an a tournament that MLB HEAVILY encouraged players to participate in?

It's not his work ethic, it's his decision making process. The better place for Wily Mo to be getting better was (IMO) spring training -- not riding the pine. He's gotten plenty of reps on the pine as it is his first 2 years in the bigs.

4) The worry that Griffey would get hurt in the WBC was far more dangerous to the Reds than Wily Mo's playing time--why has the focus been on the later? Griffey played well, but that didn't reduce the risk of injury.

Griffey would've been just as much an injury risk playing in spring training as he was at the WBC -- I think that's why people didn't really get as incensed about it all. While Griffey's injury possibility stayed the same, Wily Mo's development ability was potentially hindered by his participation in the WBC. Apples and Oranges, I think.

Wily Mo could be a franchise player, he worked hard this winter and I think he'll have a breakout year this year. I'm so against trading him for a 4.5 era pitcher.

He could also be the next Russell Branyan. The only sure thing is that the Reds pitching absolutely stinks, and the Reds farm system absolutely stinks. Everyone can sit on their hands and name every player "untouchable" for one reason or another and watch the team drop 90 per season for the rest of the decade, or the F.O. can grow a set and start taking action designed to bring better pitching in.

I'm not for trading Wily Mo for a 4.5 ERA pitcher, but sooner or later he (or Kearns) has to go if this team wants to smell .500 before the next roaring 20s.

Wheelhouse
03-20-2006, 04:11 AM
With Moises Alou, Vladamir Guerrero, Juan Encarnacion and Wily Taveras on the roster with him in the outfield, he had to have good idea that he wouldn't be seeing a ton of ABs.

Actually he started the last and most criticial game. He very easily could have started the others.

I'd rather he get as many ABs as possible, no matter the location. I'd also rather see him get as much time in the outfield as possible -- it's not like he's a gold glover out there, more practice would hopefully make fly balls a little less of an adventure.

Again, he could have started.

It's not his work ethic, it's his decision making process. The better place for Wily Mo to be getting better was (IMO) spring training -- not riding the pine. He's gotten plenty of reps on the pine as it is his first 2 years in the bigs.

See above.

Griffey would've been just as much an injury risk playing in spring training as he was at the WBC -- I think that's why people didn't really get as incensed about it all. While Griffey's injury possibility stayed the same, Wily Mo's development ability was potentially hindered by his participation in the WBC. Apples and Oranges, I think.

No. Griffey is more at risk when playing in intense, tournament competition, managed by someone who has no long-term interest in his health.

He could also be the next Russell Branyan. The only sure thing is that the Reds pitching absolutely stinks, and the Reds farm system absolutely stinks. Everyone can sit on their hands and name every player "untouchable" for one reason or another and watch the team drop 90 per season for the rest of the decade, or the F.O. can grow a set and start taking action designed to bring better pitching in.

I'm not for trading Wily Mo for a 4.5 ERA pitcher, but sooner or later he (or Kearns) has to go if this team wants to smell .500 before the next roaring 20s.

The pitching that's being talked about for Wily Mo is mid 4 era pitching. I thing trading him for someone like Clement or Arroyo would be a rip-off.

Chip R
03-20-2006, 09:27 AM

I'm not worried about the ABs WMP did or didn't receive during the WBC. What I'm concerned about is the lack of practice time in the field. Now maybe all the hard work in the world won't make him a decent OFer but it sure couldn't hurt.

As for WMP being a hard worker, I've always heard that he was until the last few months when Marty began saying that WMP didn't work hard enough to become a better defensive player. I don't know whether that's true or not but if Marty says it's true then a lot of Reds fans and the media take it to heart. Now the media is saying he's a big slacker since he decided to play in the WBC and he didn't play much. Not playing much isn't really his fault but the choice to go was his. Hindsight being 20/20 it looks like he made the wrong choice since he's being mentioned more frequently in trade talks and it looks like he may not even start on a regular basis. The Reds may well be punishing him for doing that. They may not be pleased with Jr. playing but they sure aren't going to punish him for it.

As for trading him, OFers we got. Pitching we ain't got. If the Sox are offering Clement for Pena, I'm all over that.