PDA

View Full Version : White Sox as trade partner?

chicoruiz
03-20-2006, 08:44 AM
I'm reading that the word from White Sox camp is that they may be in the market for some righthanded bullpen help. Dustin Hermanson is hurting and Bobby Jenks supposedly has looked terrible. Does anyone know their franchise well enough to suggest some sort of trade that sends some of our bullpen flotsam for some sort of warm body that could go more than three innings? Something in the Rick-White-for-Vlad-Nunez vein?

rdiersin
03-20-2006, 09:02 AM
Their system is pretty thin now. Kenny Williams has been pretty aggressive with trading for what he thinks he needs. I read this weekend that they were planning on putting McCarthy in the pen. One guy that might be worth a look is Ray Liotta. He still has to get to AA, and his K rate did go down when he was promoted to high A, but he could be someone to look for.

Heath
03-20-2006, 09:22 AM
One guy that might be worth a look is Ray Liotta. He still has to get to AA, and his K rate did go down when he was promoted to high A, but he could be someone to look for.

Man, I loved his work in "Field of Dreams".

wolfboy
03-20-2006, 09:29 AM
Man, I loved his work in "Field of Dreams".

He has serious off the field problems. Didn't you see Goodfellas?

chisox05
03-23-2006, 10:30 PM
I'm reading that the word from White Sox camp is that they may be in the market for some righthanded bullpen help. Dustin Hermanson is hurting and Bobby Jenks supposedly has looked terrible. Does anyone know their franchise well enough to suggest some sort of trade that sends some of our bullpen flotsam for some sort of warm body that could go more than three innings? Something in the Rick-White-for-Vlad-Nunez vein?

Jenks will be fine, and from recent reports Hermanson is pitching without pain. I can't see the Sox making anymore trades before the start of the season. We've got some young talented arms in Boone Logan and Javier Lopez, who have both looked great in ST, as well as Tim Redding. We don't need anymore bullpen help as of now.

And they are putting McCarthy in the pen, that's been the plan since the day they acquired Javy Vazquez. We've got six starters, and McCarthy is the odd man out and will get his work in the bullpen with some starts here and there throughout the season.

MartyFan
03-23-2006, 11:23 PM
Split personalities too...thinks he is a cheap version of Sinatra...in "Rat Pack"

jmcclain19
03-23-2006, 11:40 PM
Dave Weathers & Kent Merker make a nice twosome to match up to the White Sox for a package.

I for one would love to see them get Charles Haeger, if only because the Reds need more Knuckleballers.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/H/charles-haeger.shtml

Barbarossa
03-24-2006, 01:36 AM
Remember last year when the White Sox were trying to trade three minor leaguers for Jr.? Seem to recall it was a center fielder, a pitcher and a first baseman. The first baseman's name is Casey Rogowski and if the Reds could get him for Merker or Weathers I think it would be a steal. The Sox have 1st base pretty well covered at the major league level for a few years and just might trade this kid.:beerme:

buckeyenut
03-24-2006, 06:08 AM
Weathers and Mercker for Rogowski and McCarthy?

chisox05
03-24-2006, 08:59 AM
Weathers and Mercker for Rogowski and McCarthy?

McCarthy is abolutely untouchable and will not go anywhere. He's a franchise player, mark my words.

Like I said before, this is the Sox and this is the Sox bullpen, whether they struggle in the regular season or not, we shall see. But until they do, they're not going to make any trades.

You can keep dreaming that McCarthy is going anywhere, though. :)

vermonter
03-24-2006, 09:12 AM
One guy I'd go after would be Neil Cotts. He's really a starter stuck for now in the Sox bullpen, and slightly redundant as a bullpen lefty. If he could be pried loose, that might be a real coup for the Reds.

vaticanplum
03-24-2006, 10:15 AM
He's a franchise player, mark my words.

Well, I think it's a little early for that, especially since I think that's definitely true for Buehrle, but I agree that there's no way he's going anywhere for at least a long time. He's one of the best young pitchers around in my opinion.

A lot of my friends think Kenny Williams is a BS GM, but I've got to say that I have huge admiration for the way the White Sox have been handling their pitchers recently. That rotation is so solid and pretty complete, and not unreasonably priced all things considered.

chisox05
03-24-2006, 03:48 PM
One guy I'd go after would be Neil Cotts. He's really a starter stuck for now in the Sox bullpen, and slightly redundant as a bullpen lefty. If he could be pried loose, that might be a real coup for the Reds.

Wasn't the point of this thread for the Sox getting another lefty for the bullpen? Why would they give up a lefty to get another lefty that is not even proven. Think about these things before you say them.

And as for McCarthy being a franchise player, I definately see it. Buehrle definately will, and there's no reason they shouldn't keep McCarthy for a long time.

Cyclone792
03-24-2006, 04:40 PM
Wasn't the point of this thread for the Sox getting another lefty for the bullpen? Why would they give up a lefty to get another lefty that is not even proven. Think about these things before you say them.

Original post below ...

Just sayin'

buckeyenut
03-24-2006, 05:01 PM
McCarthy is abolutely untouchable and will not go anywhere. He's a franchise player, mark my words.

Like I said before, this is the Sox and this is the Sox bullpen, whether they struggle in the regular season or not, we shall see. But until they do, they're not going to make any trades.

You can keep dreaming that McCarthy is going anywhere, though. :)

Ok so what if it was Contraras rather than McCarthy in the deal?

chisox05
03-24-2006, 07:53 PM
Just sayin'

Alright, but we don't need another right hander, if we need anything it's another lefty. Good left-handed relievers are not plentiful, and there's no way the Sox give up one of the better southpaws in the game to "improve" the bullpen.

chisox05
03-24-2006, 07:55 PM
Ok so what if it was Contraras rather than McCarthy in the deal?

Well, then it's going to take more than that or some cash. Actually, I'd say it would take more than that to get McCarthy. I can see Contreras being traded sometime this year, but probably near the trading deadline if at all.

Seems like it would be a pretty dumb move on the Reds' part. Do you think you can re-sign him? One year rental...is that really even worth it?

buckeyenut
03-25-2006, 07:04 AM
Well, then it's going to take more than that or some cash. Actually, I'd say it would take more than that to get McCarthy. I can see Contreras being traded sometime this year, but probably near the trading deadline if at all.

Seems like it would be a pretty dumb move on the Reds' part. Do you think you can re-sign him? One year rental...is that really even worth it?

If the deal was Weathers and Mercker for Rogowski and Contreras, I wouldn't be all that worried about resigning Contreras. If I can later, I can. But I can probably also offer him arb and get a pick, or deal him at the deadline. But we need starting pitching bad enough I take the risk.

Jpup
03-25-2006, 07:11 AM

Rick White

"The Human Batting Cage"

see 2003.

flyer85
03-25-2006, 11:30 AM
Jenks will be finenoting his history and his supposed aversion to hard work you had better cross your fingers and be rubbing that lucky rabbits foot.

vaticanplum
03-25-2006, 03:04 PM
noting his history and his supposed aversion to hard work you had better cross your fingers and be rubbing that lucky rabbits foot.

I think he got a lot better about that in Chicago. He's young enough that he's not a lost cause in that area yet.