PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Shealy

OnBaseMachine
03-20-2006, 05:09 PM
Word is Rockies first base prospect Ryan Shealy may be available. With Pena now with the Red Sox and Dunn moving back to LF, and considering Hatteberg is horrible, the Reds should be in the market for a new 1B. Shealy is blocked by Todd Helton and the Rockies may be looking to deal him. This is a guy I think Krivsky should be targeting.

At 6-5 and 240 pounds, he reminds me of Travis Hafner. His situation is also very similar to Hafner's. Hafner was stuck behind Mark Teixeira and Rafael Palmeiro in Texas - Cleveland saw this - and acquired Hafner along with Myette for Einar Diaz and Ryan Drese.

Both had similar minor league statistics with OPS' in the 1.000 area. This is a guy I could easily see developing into a 30 homerun, .900 OPS type of major league hitter. I think he could be had relatively cheap, I'm thinking something like a Chris Denorfia+William Bergolla+maybe a Todd Coffey could get the job done. That's a deal I would jump all over and I think the Rockies would probably do it to.

Ryan Shealy player page-
http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/S/ryan-shealy.shtml

By the way, props to Crash Davis for bringing Ryan Shealy up. I mentioned Hee Seop Choi and Carlos Pena as other candidates and he brought Shealy up.

jmcclain19
03-20-2006, 05:13 PM
The Rockies want oh so badly to make this guy a RF - but they also have Brad Hawpe out there.

They also will need to find a place for Garrett Atkins if he keeps hitting. The Golden Boy Ian Stewart will be in Denver and ready to play 3B before too long.

LincolnparkRed
03-20-2006, 05:17 PM
We should have tried to give Allan Simpson back to them instead of letting him go or using him in a 3 way with Milwaukee.

Red Leader
03-20-2006, 05:17 PM
I fully agree with you, but I don't know if the Rocks would have interest in Denorfia or Bergolla. They'd probably be interested in bullpen arms like Coffey, Mercker, and Wagner, though.

I was thinking of maybe Votto (since you're trading for his replacement anyway) and Coffey for Shealy and a prospect like Tony Miller, a 25 yr old CF prospect who hit .280/.400/.461 with 26 steals in AA last year.

flyer85
03-20-2006, 05:35 PM
He doesn't sound very scrappy

registerthis
03-20-2006, 05:38 PM
He doesn't sound very scrappy

And coming from the Rockies he *definitely* doesn't know how to win, so write him off.

KronoRed
03-20-2006, 05:41 PM
He's not old and bad, we don't want him.

flyer85
03-20-2006, 05:46 PM
He's not old and badcertainly seems to be a prerequisite when you consider the likes of Womack, Hatteberg and McCracken.

Bigredfan#1
03-20-2006, 05:53 PM
Maybe we should trade Aroyo for him!

Az. Reds Fan
03-20-2006, 05:55 PM
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060320/SPORTS02/603200392/1050

Detroit may be looking to move Carlos Pena, I wouldn't mind taking a chance on him, although he's scheduled to make 3 mill this year.

BEETTLEBUG
03-20-2006, 06:44 PM
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060320/SPORTS02/603200392/1050

Detroit may be looking to move Carlos Pena, I wouldn't mind taking a chance on him, although he's scheduled to make 3 mill this year.

That would be like Wily Mo for Carlos not bad.

oneupper
03-20-2006, 06:51 PM
Good catch...and a RH bat too.

BenHayes
03-20-2006, 06:59 PM
sounds good , the reds do need some spare pop at first with app. Dunn going back to the garden.

klw
03-23-2006, 01:36 PM
An update including the Reds being mentioned.

http://www.denverpost.com/rockies/ci_3630065

RedLegSuperStar
03-23-2006, 01:54 PM
How bout these:

- Mercker, Belisle, and Valentin for Shealy

- Weathers, Olmedo, and Valentin for Shealy

flyer85
03-23-2006, 01:56 PM
Sounds like Shealy isn't going anywhere for the moment. Of course, O'Dowd isn't one of the worst GMs in baseball without good reason.

GoReds
03-23-2006, 02:22 PM
Would you Kearns for Shealy? Colorado needs a true OF...

flyer85
03-23-2006, 02:26 PM
Would you Kearns for Shealy? Colorado needs a true OF...no

corkedbat
03-23-2006, 02:42 PM
I think you try to add some one like Shealy for a package of lesser players. If you spend a 'big chip' like Kearns, serious pitching needs to be headed our way.

GoReds
03-23-2006, 02:48 PM
It also depends on Kearns perceived value to the outside world. The ONLY reason I wouldn't trade Austin now is because his value is so low.

MasonBuzz3
03-23-2006, 03:46 PM
What about Denorfia straight up for Shealy? Both are a little bit older prospects who seem to be blocked by current players at their position in the big leagues (even though I say Dunn at 1b and Denorfia in LF). Colorado is looking for an OF and we could use a true 1b.

Red Leader
03-23-2006, 03:56 PM
What about Denorfia straight up for Shealy? Both are a little bit older prospects who seem to be blocked by current players at their position in the big leagues (even though I say Dunn at 1b and Denorfia in LF). Colorado is looking for an OF and we could use a true 1b.

That's more in line with what I think we'd have to give up....

We may have to add on to that, but that's what I would start with...

Dunner44
03-23-2006, 04:50 PM
Whoever was thinking about offering Joe V in the trade, he's gone, and has been for a while....

RedLegSuperStar
03-23-2006, 05:52 PM
Whoever was thinking about offering Joe V in the trade, he's gone, and has been for a while....

Joey Votto is still a Red and has been for a while!

RedLegSuperStar
03-23-2006, 05:55 PM

and if you were refering to Valentin.. not Valentine.. He is our back-up catcher.

Redmachine2003
03-23-2006, 06:16 PM
How about Larue for Shealy? I hear the Rocks need a catcher.

registerthis
03-23-2006, 06:19 PM
How about Larue for Shealy? I hear the Rocks need a catcher.

Too much.

OnBaseMachine
03-23-2006, 06:22 PM
Can comeone post copy and paste that Shealy article? The link won't open for me.

wheels
03-23-2006, 06:51 PM
I wouldn't be comfortable with them dealing Denorfia for him.

Too many bad things can happen to Reds outfielders in a given season.

CincyFlip
03-23-2006, 08:54 PM
Can comeone post copy and paste that Shealy article? The link won't open for me.

Tucson - Rockies first baseman Ryan Shealy is a hot commodity stuck on the shelf.

His sore elbow sabotaged an attempt to convert him to a part-time outfielder. And with Todd Helton entrenched at first, there's no room for Shealy on the 25-man roster.

That makes the 26-year-old slugger prime trade bait.

But the Rockies are reluctant to move Shealy. He has great character, is a tireless worker and a nifty fielder, hit .330 in 36 big-league games last season and provides protection should Helton's back flare up again.

Shealy is likely to begin the season on the disabled list or with Triple-A Colorado Springs. Rockies general manager Dan O'Dowd has no immediate plans to shop Shealy but didn't rule out a future trade.

"I think it's easy to speculate that we will look at doing something with Ryan at some point and time, but not in the near future," O'Dowd said Wednesday before the Rockies' 5-3 victory over the Chicago White Sox at Tucson Electric Park. "We want to get him healthy first. And you have to get value for value; that's why we're not in any rush."

A team such as Cincinnati, with Scott Hatteberg at first base, could have a place for Shealy. Boston and Cleveland had expressed interest, but there is no fit for Shealy at this point. The Indians are happy with Ben Broussard and Eduardo Perez.

Dunner44
03-23-2006, 09:36 PM
and if you were refering to Valentin.. not Valentine.. He is our back-up catcher.

Ok, i admit, I am caught... I had just read about Joe Valentine on his new team and accquired dyslexia while reading someone else's post... my bad.

Crash Davis
03-23-2006, 09:45 PM
Too much.

I would do LaRue for Shealy so fast it would make O'Dowd's head spin.

VI_RedsFan
03-24-2006, 04:15 PM
I'd definately trade for Shealy. I'm not sure if I'd give up LaRue for him, but maybe Mercker and some prospects. I'd actually prefer him to Choi. Shealy and Hatteberg would make a nice R/L platoon at first.

I'd still like to save LaRue for a trade for a pitcher (*cough* Brad Penny *cough*). I know most of you think that LA would never give up Penny for LaRue, but I wouldn't be surprised if that deal went down within the next few days.

Newman4
03-24-2006, 04:33 PM
Here's my Rockies trade idea:

Larue for Shealy, RHP Juan Morillo (AA) and LHP Francisco Morales (High A)

cincyinco
03-24-2006, 07:17 PM
Here's my Rockies trade idea:

Larue for Shealy, RHP Juan Morillo (AA) and LHP Francisco Morales (High A)

I think thats a bit lopsided dont you?

LexingtonRedsFan
03-24-2006, 08:10 PM

But, Larue is SCRAPPY!

Newman4
03-24-2006, 09:44 PM

Uh, yeah. Didn't think you guys were that knowledgable on your Rox prospects. Hey I'd throw in Denorfia too if they gave us those two pitchers.

cincyinco
03-24-2006, 09:54 PM
Uh, yeah. Didn't think you guys were that knowledgable on your Rox prospects. Hey I'd throw in Denorfia too if they gave us those two pitchers.

You're talking to a native of CO.. ;)

But I follow the minor leagues a lot.

Kc61
03-24-2006, 10:03 PM
Larue and Mercker for Penny.

Dave Williams and Matt Belisle for Shealy and a minor leaguer.

Reds rotation is Penny, Harang, Arroyo, Milton, Claussen. Bullpen logjam is cured with following guys left: Shackelford, Hammond, Burns, Weathers, White, Coffey, Wagner.

Sabo Fan
03-24-2006, 10:04 PM
Doubtful that the Rockies would want a catcher in return. They dealt for Torrealba this offseaon and still have J.D. Closser on the roster and Iannetta coming soon. Seems like too much of a logjam for them to be interested in LaRue. What I would like to do is relieve them of Closser (in addition to Shealy) and see if the guy can regain some of his pre-2005 form. Now, they do seem to need an OF, so if you offer Denorfia and at least one and probably two pitchers from a group including Belisle, Dumatrait, Chick, Germano and you may have something. The other possibility would be to substitute those younger pitchers for either Merker or Weathers considering O'Dowd has shown a proclivity for older, overpaid relievers in the past.

If you can get Closser in addition to Shealy, then that frees you up to deal LaRue or Valentin, which with LaRue offers you the opportunity to get a pretty good return.