PDA

View Full Version : Are one of the catchers next???

Willy
03-21-2006, 12:27 PM
The Reds are reportedly interested in trading for Dave Ross, who is out of options.
Ross is currently third on the Padres' depth chart, so it makes sense for them to move him before they give him away for nothing. Mar. 21 - 10:24 am et
Source: San Diego Union-Tribune

Sounds like Wayne is about to send out Valentin or Larue.

flyer85
03-21-2006, 12:28 PM
The Reds are reportedly interested in trading for Dave Ross, who is out of options.
Ross is currently third on the Padres' depth chart, so it makes sense for them to move him before they give him away for nothing. Mar. 21 - 10:24 am et

Sounds like Wayne is about to send out Valentin or Larue.Maybe they can use him in the OF?

Jpup

Sounds like Wayne is about to send out Valentin or Larue.

or maybe they are planning on playing Valentin at 1st on occasion.

LincolnparkRed
Ross can play in the outfield as well?? maybe that means one of our second basemen could go?? Let it be Tony so to remove Narron's temptation to play him everyday

flyer85
03-21-2006, 12:37 PM
Ross can play in the outfield as well?? seeing as who we have playing 1b and 2b I would say being able to handle the position defensively is not a prerequisite to playing there.

Danny Serafini
03-21-2006, 12:46 PM
They made the move, per Marc:

Reds make another deal

SARASOTA -- The Reds have acquired catcher David Ross from the Padres in exchange for minor league pitcher Bobby Basham.

Right-hander Jason Standridge was designated for assignment to make room for Ross on the 40-man roster.

Ross has been tearing it up this spring for San Diego, hitting .529 (9-for-17) with three homers. But with Mike Piazza and Doug Mirabelli there, not much playing time was in the offing for Ross. Of course, one could say the same thing here. We'll see what Wayne has to say.

Jpup
03-21-2006, 12:47 PM
They made the move, per Marc:

Reds make another deal

SARASOTA -- The Reds have acquired catcher David Ross from the Padres in exchange for minor league pitcher Bobby Basham.

Right-hander Jason Standridge was designated for assignment to make room for Ross on the 40-man roster.

Ross has been tearing it up this spring for San Diego, hitting .529 (9-for-17) with three homers. But with Mike Piazza and Doug Mirabelli there, not much playing time was in the offing for Ross. Of course, one could say the same thing here. We'll see what Wayne has to say.

dumb trade unless Larue is on the way out for some more pitching.

UGADaddy
03-21-2006, 12:48 PM
"Ross can turn on mistakes on the inner half, but that's about the extent of his batting prowess. He cannot catch up with above-average heat and has little chance against anything with a wrinkle. Ross went to an 0-2 count in more than 20 percent of his plate appearances last season. On the basepaths, he runs like a catcher, and his hands and feet are not that quick behind the plate. While Ross has adequate arm strength, his throws are often offline."

That's the scouting report on Ross from STATS INC via ESPN.com. Doesn't sound like an improvement behind the plate offensively or defensively. As for the comment about possibly putting him in the outfield, we just made a trade to alleviate that crowded problem. I just don't feel the need to trade away one of our catchers (who I believe combined for some of the best offensive stats for backstops in the league last season and are both more than adequate behind the plate) unless we get a definite improvement--a player that is without a doubt going to help us out, not just a guy who might be decent. There's no more room on the roster for another mediocre player.

LincolnparkRed
03-21-2006, 12:49 PM
so who would be the team that most needs Larue? since javy would still be the only lefthanded batting catcher you would think Jason would be the one to go.

UGADaddy
03-21-2006, 12:51 PM
Wow. News happens fast. The previous two posts were made while I was typing. Anyhoo, I didn't know he was hitting that well this spring. But I'm still not overjoyous. And I agree with jpup entirely. One of the catchers now needs to be moved--and it needs to be for pitching...

flyer85
03-21-2006, 12:59 PM
anyone care to defend this move? It means one of two things, something much bigger is in the works or soon we are going to be wishing for the inactivity of the DanO days.

BRM
03-21-2006, 01:09 PM
It has to be a prelude to a bigger move. Otherwise, the Reds have just downgraded the defense at the catching position for no reason.

flyer85
03-21-2006, 01:13 PM
It has to be a prelude to a bigger move. Otherwise, the Reds have just downgraded the defense at the catching position for no reason.kind of like they did at 1st an 2nd. I am starting to detect a pattern.

PTBNL
03-21-2006, 01:17 PM
I don't think this is a sign of LaRue leaving. Ross is a good back-up catcher at best. He tried and failed to fill the shoes of LoDuca after he was traded to the Marlins. But Ross is a gamer and a good clubhouse guy to boot. I think this is all part of a plan for more pitching in the near future though. I would be disappointed if Ross was taking the place of LaRue.

flyer85
03-21-2006, 01:19 PM
I don't think this is a sign of LaRue leaving. Ross is a good back-up catcher at best. and has no spot on a roster that includes Valentin and Larue.

redsmetz
03-21-2006, 01:36 PM
I don't think this is a sign of LaRue leaving. Ross is a good back-up catcher at best. He tried and failed to fill the shoes of LoDuca after he was traded to the Marlins. But Ross is a gamer and a good clubhouse guy to boot. I think this is all part of a plan for more pitching in the near future though. I would be disappointed if Ross was taking the place of LaRue.

If LaRue is the one going, I would say it would be Valentin going to the starting position. They keep doing these little pieces which is what makes me think there are other things in the works. But, hey, I'm not expert.

redsfan30
03-21-2006, 01:38 PM
If he's going to be placed on the 25 man roster than I'd say LaRue or Valentin is as good as gone. But if he's not, I'd say it's just a minor move.

PuffyPig
03-21-2006, 01:38 PM
If larue is flipped for a pretty good pitcher, and a young firstbaseman, it might start making sense.

Redmachine2003
03-21-2006, 08:33 PM
How about Penny for Larue?

VI_RedsFan
03-21-2006, 08:37 PM
How about Penny for Larue?

I mentioned this idea in another thread. I'd do it in a heartbeat. I've always liked Penny, and if we could him for LaRue, I'd be happy.

cincyinco
03-21-2006, 09:28 PM
What makes you think Penny is available?

VI_RedsFan
03-21-2006, 09:32 PM
What makes you think Penny is available?

I've heard that the Dodgers were open to listening to offers for him or Lowe. Sorry, I don't have source. That might just be a rumor anyway.

cincyinco
03-21-2006, 09:34 PM
I've heard that the Dodgers were open to listening to offers for him or Lowe. Sorry, I don't have source. That might just be a rumor anyway.

No problem, just curious buddy. I'd love to land Penny, would be great. If you can get Choi with him, all the better. Loney is forcing LA's hand... I think Choi would be good in GAB.

VI_RedsFan
03-21-2006, 09:37 PM
No problem, just curious buddy. I'd love to land Penny, would be great. If you can get Choi with him, all the better. Loney is forcing LA's hand... I think Choi would be good in GAB.

I'd love to snag him too. I agree that Choi would be great in GAPB, he could hit 30+ bombs here.

NewEraReds
03-21-2006, 09:41 PM
dumb trade unless Larue is on the way out for some more pitching.

how is it dumb? we gave up nothing for someon who can at least sit on a major league bench

NewEraReds
03-21-2006, 09:42 PM
stear CLEAR of penny. unless you want to continue to lose. overpaid, always injured, never fullfilled his potential pitcher is now who i want the reds to get as their no.1

Willy
03-21-2006, 09:45 PM
Larue & Milton for Lowe & Choi

Reds get a groundball pitcher and an upgrade at 1st

VI_RedsFan
03-21-2006, 09:49 PM

Where do I sign? Like I said, Choi would kill in Cincinnati and would be a hell of a lot better than Hatteberg. Lowe and Milton's salaries match so this could work out.

Barbarossa
03-22-2006, 01:02 AM

If this trade went down the Reds would be in business.:beerme:

BEETTLEBUG
03-22-2006, 11:33 PM

How come you Willy gets credit for this trade idea when I stated it in another thread but got no credit for saying it?