PDA

View Full Version : Good rotation around the corner?

cincrazy
03-22-2006, 02:18 PM
I've been putting a lot of thought into our starting rotation as of late, and I think within a few years it can actually be pretty good. All of this depends on Homer Bailey developing into an ace. There's no one else in our organization who fits the true description of an ace, and lets face it, we're not going to acquire one from outside of the organization, even with new ownership. But if Bailey can develop into a bonafide ace in the next couple of years, and you add him with Harang and Claussen, if they continue to gradually improve, and that's three pretty good pitchers right there. Granted, this is the optimistic point of view, but I can see a little bit of light at the end of the tunnel. We're still a long ways off from being known as a good pitching team, but it CAN happen. Here's hoping Bailey can stay off the trainer's table, and we can have some luck for once in terms of developing a pitcher. Harang and Claussen, in my mind, are decent now as it is, and they're both pretty young. I think both, with enough run support, can win 12-15 games, and if you factor in a young stud like Bailey, who may be capable of winning anywhere from 15-20, IF, and only if he reaches his potential, then that's not bad at all. Our luck though, the rotation will be solid in two or three years, but by then the offense will be wretched ;) . Just thought I'd post a thread that gives us SOME hope for the future. Might happen, might not. Time will tell

redsfan30
03-22-2006, 02:36 PM
Nice post...gotta love the optimism. Don't forget Travis Wood. If he can build on his dominant year last season I think we can add him in the conversation with Homer Bailey.

I don't think we can start printing the World Series tshirts for 2008 just yet, but there is at least some hope on the pitching front.

medford
03-22-2006, 02:41 PM
I'd say don't forget Sam LeClure the 4th rounder picked out of Texas last year. [George Grand mode/ You know his story...LeCluresy was scheduled to be the ace of Texas' national championship team before dropping off the team with a learning disability.../George Grand mode]

IIRC correctly he put up pretty solid numbers last year, and should be more advanced than Wood or Bailey at this point. He may reach the majors around the same time as Bailey, and could be another piece to the puzzle.

registerthis
03-22-2006, 02:42 PM
You know, I don't think this team necessarily NEEDS a legitimate "ace" to be competitive. I thinka rotation of 2s and 3s would probably do it, with the offense that this team will produce.

Say its 2008, and Bailey develops into a solid starter--something around 15 wins, 3.80 ERA, 130 Ks and a WHIP around 1.20 or so. Assuming Arroyo is still here, Harang and Claussen continue to improve as expected, and the reds obtain one more solid pitcher via free agency, I think that's enough to give the reds a competitive rotation, and should certainly be enough to take the heat off of the bullpen. With guys like Dunn, FeLo, EdE and (hopefully) Junior and Kearns anchoring the offense, that would be the makeup of a solid team. Might not win a WS with that (you may need a true ace), but I think that type of team would at least keep the Reds playing well into October.

jowica
03-22-2006, 04:14 PM
It certainly has come a long way from the re-treads from the recent past. Just to name a few:

Joey Hamilton
Osvaldo Fernandez
Elmer Dessens
Brian Moehler
Steve Parris
Jared Fernandez
Ryan Dempster
Shawn Estes
Jose Silva
Denny Neagle
Jason Bere
Ramon Ortiz

A future with Harang, Claussen, Arroyo, Chick, Wood and Bailey is certainly brighter than the crap listed above.