03-23-2006, 01:29 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=260322110

uks2h
03-23-2006, 01:39 AM
Get used to seeing these headlines.

Topcat
03-23-2006, 01:47 AM
Get used to seeing these headlines.

Yup every 8 games he plays, are his errors allowed to be included or easy fly balls he misses?

uks2h
03-23-2006, 02:34 AM
Hehehehe. :cool:

Don't hate on his Mo-ness.

(yes, I know your not hating, only telling the truth, etc.)

MrCinatit
03-23-2006, 07:10 AM
as much as i like Wily Mo, i think this will end up being a good move for him. Ortez seems to have taken Pena under his wing - and having a guy like Big Pappy as your mentor can be a good thing.

KittyDuran
03-23-2006, 08:10 AM
I guess RedsZone will be having a Wily Mo version of the BEN (as in Brossard-sp?) report? ;)

traderumor
03-23-2006, 08:14 AM
I hope WMP does well for Boston just as I do Arroyo for us. The idea of trades is for both teams to get what they want.

Blimpie
03-23-2006, 08:50 AM
Did anyone else see the video of Wily's homer last night? It was an absolute screamer over the left field fence. Simply amazing bat speed.

Chip R
03-23-2006, 09:17 AM
Did anyone else see the video of Wily's homer last night? It was an absolute screamer over the left field fence. Simply amazing bat speed.

Yeah. And if that curve he hit hung any more it'd be on a silver platter.

redsmetz
03-23-2006, 09:22 AM
I hope WMP does well for Boston just as I do Arroyo for us. The idea of trades is for both teams to get what they want.

Here's an important point way too often overlooked. Anymore we seem to think one team should get the better of the other. Both teams filled needs from surpluses they each had. We forget that, it seems.

traderumor
03-23-2006, 09:37 AM
Here's an important point way too often overlooked. Anymore we seem to think one team should get the better of the other. Both teams filled needs from surpluses they each had. We forget that, it seems.A lot of times, it does turn out that a trade is lopsided, but that is usually determined in hindsight. That will happen when you're trading human resources. A good trade is one where both parties satisfy a goal they have in mind for doing the deal in the first place. That's why I liked Krivsky's comments when asked about "what if WMP reaches his potential," to which he more or less said "not my concern anymore."

And that is true. He pulled the trigger based on the best available information he had at the time with a specific purpose for doing the deal. But, in our culture, folks love to sit back in their chair, take a devil's advocate position, then say I told you so. Of course, those same folks are often silent when the same hindsight is in favor of the decision maker. But then, without that dynamic, sportswriters might actually have to learn something about the sport they write about ;)

nyjwagner
03-23-2006, 11:42 AM
I love this thread....Good positive chatter.

I have been saying that its great for everyone. The Reds have a starter that their hitters can believe will keep them in the game, and the Sox might have another Manny Ramirez in a few years...The hitters in the Reds dugout need to have a pitcher that doesnt require them to score 10+ runs every night and that is what Arroyo does for them...

KearnsyEars
03-23-2006, 04:54 PM
I don't care. No different than anyone else in the league hitting a HR.

OldXOhio
03-23-2006, 04:57 PM
I love this thread....Good positive chatter.

I have been saying that its great for everyone. The Reds have a starter that their hitters can believe will keep them in the game, and the Sox might have another Manny Ramirez in a few years...The hitters in the Reds dugout need to have a pitcher that doesnt require them to score 10+ runs every night and that is what Arroyo does for them...

Yep - clearly we got fleeced as evidenced by WMP's first ST game in a Boston uniform.

M2
03-23-2006, 06:33 PM
Hmm, I guess Wily Mo wasn't as rusty as some in the Reds organization surmised.

Team Clark
03-23-2006, 06:38 PM

I was there and I must say a lot of people I was sitting with were stunned!! He was completely fooled on ANOTHER curve, threw his bat at the ball, out on his front foot and still managed to hit a ball out of the ball park. Imagine what he could do if he gives Jobu some rum.

OldRightHander
03-23-2006, 07:12 PM

I might as well do my part to perpetuate the Wily Mo legend. I was at a game last year and he hit a ball that at first glance I thought was going to be a line drive over SS for a single. A second later it was in the left field seats. I've always wondered where it would have landed had he gotten it in the air a bit more.

Team Clark
03-23-2006, 07:41 PM
I can remember watchign Kal Daniels hit HR's when I was growing up. He'd hit them so hard the Director for the local broadcast couldn't cut to the correct cameras fast enough. You would see a swing and then the ricochet. No flight. LOL! ORH, the HR you're speaking of reminds me of that.

traderumor
03-23-2006, 08:10 PM
The most impressive one I recall is when he hit it high into the left field bleachers--in left center. I can still see Javy Valentin showing him where it hit like a little kid. I don't think anyone can deny that WMP is a fun player.

OnBaseMachine
03-23-2006, 08:28 PM
The most impressive one I recall is when he hit it high into the left field bleachers--in left center. I can still see Javy Valentin showing him where it hit like a little kid. I don't think anyone can deny that WMP is a fun player.

The most impressive one I remember is the walk off homerun against Tampa Bay last June. I swear I thought that ball was going to hit the scoreboard.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/mediaplayer/frameset.jsp

Or those two mammoth blasts off Maddux in 2004.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/mediaplayer/frameset.jsp

GAC
03-23-2006, 08:45 PM
I guess RedsZone will be having a Wily Mo version of the BEN (as in Brossard-sp?) report? ;)

Yep. Will they give as much attention when he K's or misplays a routine flyball? ;)

KittyDuran
03-23-2006, 09:00 PM
Yep. Will they give as much attention when he K's or misplays a routine flyball? ;)Ummm...no, IIRC the BENder updates only occurred when he was doing well, had a great game, a better batting average than Casey, etc. There are enough members of RedsZone that hate the Wily Mo trade to keep the threads alive... :(

4256 Hits
03-23-2006, 09:28 PM
He was the Reds player if I was going to miss a couple innings to do something I would what for the end of an inning Pena batted in to decrease the chances of missing one of his ab's.

gonelong
03-24-2006, 01:37 AM
Wily Mo hit a HR to dead center over the batters eye when he was playing in Dayton. I swear it was still rising as it cleared it. I was too stunned to get out of my seat. The sound it made coming off the bat was unlike any I had ever heard before.

GL

OldRightHander
03-24-2006, 08:57 AM
Another one I remember was last year during BP. Some poor sould was walking along near the top of the left field bleachers and the ball nailed him. I think the guy was more shocked than hurt.