PDA

View Full Version : 3/23 game thread Reds vs. Pirates

Dunner44
03-23-2006, 10:18 AM
Dave Williams vs. Paul Maholm on the mound (That's what Reds.com says... i thought I read in the Enquirer it was Ian Snell... I will investigate edit: Snell pitched yesterday... whoops)

Red's Lineup per Marc

Tony Womack 2B
Felipe Lopez SS
Edwin Encarnacion 3B
Adam Dunn LF
Scott Hatteberg 1B
Javier Valentin C
Chris Denorfia CF
Brian Buchanan RF
Dave Williams P

Big Rob Stratton's making the trip as well...

Denorfia in CF makes me sad because it will never happen any day soon. Same with EddieE batting 3rd....

redsmetz
03-23-2006, 10:37 AM
Same with EddieE batting 3rd....

OK, I don't get this doom and gloom around here regarding Eddie E. - other than a joke said tongue in cheek, where has Jerry Narron ever said that he won't be the starting 3rd baseman?? Certainly as the roster stands now, there will be plenty of floating going on in the line-up, but I think you're going to see Eddie E. ensconced on the hot corner come Opening Day. Just my opinion.

BRM
03-23-2006, 10:39 AM
OK, I don't get this doom and gloom around here regarding Eddie E. - other than a joke said tongue in cheek, where has Jerry Narron ever said that he won't be the starting 3rd baseman?? Certainly as the roster stands now, there will be plenty of floating going on in the line-up, but I think you're going to see Eddie E. ensconced on the hot corner come Opening Day. Just my opinion.

I believe he was referring to EE batting 3rd, not playing 3rd.

Dunner44
03-23-2006, 11:17 AM

yup.... although Junior just raked batting third in the WBC, so I have no problem with him there this year. As long as we don't see any more Junior batting second with Casey behind him like last year (which won't happen since casey is gone, but you catch my drift)

redsmetz
03-23-2006, 11:18 AM

As the Emily Latella would say on SNL, "Never Mind" :redface:

medford
03-23-2006, 12:35 PM
I pay to God that EE never has to bat 3rd this season. I'm hoping that Griff locks up that spot, or perhaps Dunn. If EE is batting 3rd, then I think that means the Reds have some major injuries to deal with.

One day down the road, I can see him developing into a 3 hole type hitter, but not a kid as green as EE is right now.

Matt700wlw
03-23-2006, 01:19 PM
Dave Williams looking abysmal this spring...this trade could turn out to be another Dan O'Briend waste

I hope not, though.

KronoRed
03-23-2006, 01:20 PM
Dunn 3rd JR 4th..worked well last year, Dunn getting on base for the kid.

Of course I expect them to be split because we must "split the lefties" :bang:

Dunner44
03-23-2006, 01:22 PM
0-0 after .5 If you guys get bored watching Ortiz v. 2.0 (Williams) you can watch the original pitching for the Nats today.

Dunner44
03-23-2006, 01:28 PM
1-0 after 1 for the Pirates

BRM
03-23-2006, 01:32 PM
2-1 Reds in the top of the second.

timmario66
03-23-2006, 01:36 PM
2-1 Reds in the top of the second.

Brian Buchanan two-run double. He is making it hard on the Reds to not keep him as the 5th outfielder barring any more trades.

Reds1
03-23-2006, 01:36 PM
Buchanan got a 2 RBI double to take the lead 2-1. Just wanted to give more detail.

edit: Tim beat me to it!

lollipopcurve
03-23-2006, 01:42 PM
B. Brian Buchanan is one-man killer bees, and every pitcher in Florida is getting stung, people.

timmario66
03-23-2006, 02:12 PM
Brian Buchanan two-run double. He is making it hard on the Reds to not keep him as the 5th outfielder barring any more trades.

And another two run double by Buchanan and followed one out later by a Womack HR. Reds lead 6-1

Tornon
top of 4, buchanon doubles in 2 more and womack follows that up with a 2 run homerun.. 6-1 reds

elfmanvt07
Whoooo! I'm listening on MLB.com

membengal
03-23-2006, 02:13 PM
That's the kind of scrappy I like in my players. Fear the Womack. Fear him!

BRM
03-23-2006, 02:17 PM
a Womack HR

:eek:

blumj
03-23-2006, 02:20 PM
If there are any of you who can't get the Reds game on something, there's a Red Sox-Twins game on ESPN 2. Wily Mo did not start the game, but I think they might get him in at some point.

Tornon
03-23-2006, 02:24 PM
During the banana phone, Marty unloads on Wily Mo.. Marty: "Wayne Krivsky should be named GM of the Year for getting as much as he did for Pena who quite honestly is one of the laziest players I have ever been around"

Chip R
03-23-2006, 02:30 PM
If there are any of you who can't get the Reds game on something, there's a Red Sox-Twins game on ESPN 2. Wily Mo did not start the game, but I think they might get him in at some point.
Defensive replacement? ;)

Red Leader
During the banana phone, Marty unloads on Wily Mo.. Marty: "Wayne Krivsky should be named GM of the Year for getting as much as he did for Pena who quite honestly is one of the laziest players I have ever been around"

Marty is gutless. :thumbdown

I'd use other words, but this is a family board

Chip R
Marty is gutless. :thumbdown

Yep. Nothing but class. :(

Wheelhouse
Wow, that's certainly not beating around the bush...

DJF33
03-23-2006, 02:31 PM
I just just come here to see if anyone else caught that. They were really blunt about it. They went on to say that they first heard the Reds got Arroyo, that they were sad at the thought of losing Kearns, but were happy to later find out it was Wily Mo that was traded.

GoReds
03-23-2006, 02:32 PM
Kearns for Shealy. My new campaign.

Red Leader
03-23-2006, 02:36 PM
Kearns for Shealy. My new campaign.

Too much.

You could get Shealy for less.

M2
03-23-2006, 02:36 PM

Shame on Marty. Pena worked his tail off. He was raw and his instincts for the game weren't the best, but that kid put in quality effort to turn himself into a major leaguer.

Marty's become Bob Feller in the booth.

redsfan30
03-23-2006, 02:37 PM
I think Steve is trying just a bit too hard to be funny.

traderumor
03-23-2006, 02:39 PM
WMP had to have sat in Marty's seat on the team bus at some point...or something :confused:

Reds Fanatic
03-23-2006, 02:40 PM
Really gutsy of Marty to pick on a player no longer on the team to defend himself.

BRM
Is it still 6-1? Was that HR Womack's first extra base hit of the spring?

flynn78
Do you think Marty was too tough with Wily Mo or just being a straight shooter? That is something I have always admired that quality in him.

LincolnparkRed
Yep. Nothing but class. :(

I would say Marty is nothing but class (or at least something that rhymes with class just doesn't need the cl)

So which is it. Wily mo was lazy according to Marty or according to most everyone else he was always working on becoming a better hitter/outfielder. Or even worse is it just because he is not one of the boys ala Kearns that Wily Mo took so much crap from marty/hal??

Reds Fanatic
03-23-2006, 02:41 PM
Is it still 6-1? Was that HR Womack's first extra base hit of the spring? Still 6-1. Game is in a rain delay.

timmario66
03-23-2006, 02:41 PM
Is it still 6-1? Was that HR Womack's first extra base hit of the spring?

Still in a rain delay now, Wagner started warming up so the game should be back on in a few minutes.

BRM
03-23-2006, 02:43 PM
Thanks.

Looks like Womack had 14 hits coming into this game. 13 were singles and he had 1 double. So today's HR gives him two EBH's this spring.

Red Leader
03-23-2006, 02:47 PM
Do you think Marty was too tough with Wily Mo or just being a straight shooter? That is something I have always admired that quality in him.

I think Marty is just flat out being a butt hole. (sorry, if that's not allowed)

He's harping on a player that he never liked for some reason (doesn't play small ball) who isn't around to defend himself.

I always liked Marty and his straight shooting ability as well, but the last 2-3 years he's just turrned into a bitter old man, and even worse, he's come across as un-intelligent because of it.

Give it up already, Marty.

redsfan30
03-23-2006, 02:47 PM
Can't really criticise Marty for blasting him once he was gone...he blasted him when he was here.

And quite honestly, I take Marty's assesment of Wily Mo and tend to believe him. We as fans just see what happens from 7:00 to 10:00 every night. We don't see his pregame activities and we're not in the clubhouse to see how is attitude is. Marty was around him on a daily basis. He would have a better idea than any fan would.

There has to be a reason why none of the many glaring holes in Wily Mo's game ever seem to get any better.

redsfan30
03-23-2006, 02:48 PM
This is Womack's second homer of the spring I believe.

And the game will resume at 3:00.

blumj
03-23-2006, 02:49 PM
Defensive replacement? ;)
You're laughing, but Manny is playing.

BRM
03-23-2006, 02:49 PM
This is Womack's second homer of the spring I believe.

And the game will resume at 3:00.

According to the stats page on ESPN.com, it's his first.

redsfan30
03-23-2006, 02:51 PM
According to the stats page on ESPN.com, it's his first.
I'm almost positive that this is his second. The lone RBI he had up to this point came on a homerun. I think it happened early in the spring, like maybe the first week.

Red Leader
03-23-2006, 02:51 PM
There has to be a reason why none of the many glaring holes in Wily Mo's game ever seem to get any better.

As M2 said, the guy busted his butt to become a major league player, on his own. He wasn't given regular playing time to develop his skills, he worked on his own. I'm not a huge Wily Mo fan, in other words, I don't think he's a future MVP or that he will break out and be a perennial superstar, but you have to pay the man his dues. He worked very, very hard to become the player he is today. He still has a lot of work ahead of him, but effort is not something you can say he lacked.

redsfan30
03-23-2006, 02:54 PM
As M2 said, the guy busted his butt to become a major league player, on his own. He wasn't given regular playing time to develop his skills, he worked on his own. I'm not a huge Wily Mo fan, in other words, I don't think he's a future MVP or that he will break out and be a perennial superstar, but you have to pay the man his dues. He worked very, very hard to become the player he is today. He still has a lot of work ahead of him, but effort is not something you can say he lacked.
Agreed. He definetly worked his butt off to get to where he is. But it seems to me that he's been where he is for going on three years now. From 2004 to now I honestly haven't seen much improvement. I think that's where Marty's coming from. If he could put all that effort into getting himself where he is now, why can't he put in that same effort into getting better?

Just seems to me after watching him throughout his Reds' career, just seems like he settled to be where he's at now.

BRM
03-23-2006, 02:55 PM
I'm almost positive that this is his second. The lone RBI he had up to this point came on a homerun. I think it happened early in the spring, like maybe the first week.

Well, I checked ESPN, Sportsline and Yahoo and they all list him with zero homeruns coming into this game.

redsfan30
03-23-2006, 02:57 PM
Yeah, does look like all the stats say he didn't have any but I could have SWORN that he did.

And by the way...is this batter's name Boobie?

Haha....boobie.

BRM
03-23-2006, 02:58 PM
Here's an interesting update from Marc's blog. I didn't want to start a new thread so I'll put it here.

SARASOTA -- Wandered out to the back fields, where Dayton and Sarasota are playing their opposite numbers from the Orioles' system this afternoon. I retreated inside a couple minutes ago, as a storm has swept in and is now dropping sheets of rain at a 45-degree angle, as I see it from the press room, but there were some interesting sights out there earlier.

A couple of pitchers who are highly thought of in the organization were plying their trade. For Dayton, 20-year-old righty Johnny Cueto, and for Sarasota, University of Texas product Sam LeCure. I mostly watched LeCure, who I've been curious about, and was very impressed. Had pretty good stuff. Didn't see the radar gun, but the glove was popping on his fastball and guys were having trouble making solid contact. Nice breaking ball, too -- made one guy in the last inning he pitched look pretty bad.

Among the others playing for Sarasota were the great Bobby Mosby, a 6-1, 290-pound bopper who hit 19 homers in 69 games for Billings two years ago, the very well-regarded 2005 draft pick Adam Rosales at short and (I swear I'm not making this up) Stephen Smitherman. The Reds' 2003 minor league player of the year, who played 21 games in the majors that season, was with the High-A guys. He split time between Louisville and Chattanooga last year.

Also, word from rain-delayed Bradenton is that Jason Standridge has cleared waivers. No surprise there. He has three days to decide whether to accept an outright assignment to Louisville.

Doc. Scott
03-23-2006, 03:01 PM
Also, word from rain-delayed Bradenton is that Jason Standridge has cleared waivers. No surprise there. He has three days to decide whether to accept an outright assignment to Louisville.

Whoa, bratwurst must contain tryptophan. DanO's asleep in his office already.

Matt700wlw
03-23-2006, 03:02 PM
Rain delay and spring training....two things that don't go together well.

BRM
03-23-2006, 03:02 PM
Is the game still in a rain delay?

TRF
03-23-2006, 03:03 PM
watch as Sam LeCure soars through the org.

KronoRed
03-23-2006, 03:04 PM
Really gutsy of Marty to pick on a player no longer on the team to defend himself.
Where was that when Woly Mo was on the Reds huh Marty?

Matt700wlw
03-23-2006, 03:04 PM
Is the game still in a rain delay?

Thankfully, no.

BRM
03-23-2006, 03:05 PM
I take it Dave Williams pitched well?

M2
03-23-2006, 03:06 PM
Can't really criticise Marty for blasting him once he was gone...he blasted him when he was here.

And quite honestly, I take Marty's assesment of Wily Mo and tend to believe him. We as fans just see what happens from 7:00 to 10:00 every night. We don't see his pregame activities and we're not in the clubhouse to see how is attitude is. Marty was around him on a daily basis. He would have a better idea than any fan would.

The primary reason why they're there is because he's young and young players tend to have holes in their game. He's always going to whiff and he'll never win a Gold Glove, but you can bet he'll be better in those areas in his late 20s than he was in his early 20s.

As far as Marty being around him on a daily basis, it's been widely reported that Pena has always taken extra fielding and hitting practice and sought out the advice of his coaches and elder players on the team on how to improve. He works out on a year round basis, keeps himself in top shape and plays the game almost 12 months a year.

That Marty would blast Pena for being lazy yet he was worried about potentially losing Kearns (who spent two years coasting) tells me all I need to know about Marty's skills at judging effort. Marty's a stooge and his senseless campaigns against certain players has been programming casual fans who don't know any better to dislike many of the more talented players who've taken the field for the franchise in recent years.

Note to Bob Castellini: That bitter old man in the booth is going to cost you a lot money in the coming years.

Reds1
Yes, Williams 1 unearned run.

they just said Basham will get every opp to be in the pen for SD when they go North.

Hoosier Red
Well, I checked ESPN, Sportsline and Yahoo and they all list him with zero homeruns coming into this game.

I think he hit one in the intra squad scrimmage.

BRM
03-23-2006, 03:07 PM
Yes, Williams 1 unearned run.

Not bad. Anyone have the rest of his line today? Is Wagner pitching now?

BRM
03-23-2006, 03:08 PM
I think he hit one in the intra squad scrimmage.

Well, if he hit it off Reds pitching it doesn't count. ;)

Rotater Cuff
03-23-2006, 03:11 PM
Agreed. He definetly worked his butt off to get to where he is. But it seems to me that he's been where he is for going on three years now. From 2004 to now I honestly haven't seen much improvement. I think that's where Marty's coming from. If he could put all that effort into getting himself where he is now, why can't he put in that same effort into getting better?

Just seems to me after watching him throughout his Reds' career, just seems like he settled to be where he's at now.
seems to me i read quite a bit on what wily mo wouldn't do, like go to winter ball in Arizona where the Reds could keep an eye on him, rather than the Dominican, where he can play with his buds.
I'm also inclined to listen to Marty, bitter old grouch or not, because what he says usually is conventional wisdom around the clubhouse.

M2
03-23-2006, 03:14 PM
I'm also inclined to listen to Marty, bitter old grouch or not, because what he says usually is conventional wisdom around the clubhouse.

Yeah, because the Reds have been writing the book on how to run a baseball franchise the past five years.

Red Leader
03-23-2006, 03:16 PM
Yeah, because the Reds have been writing the book on how to run a baseball franchise the past five years.

:laugh: :clap:

Rotater Cuff
03-23-2006, 03:17 PM

Jeez, blaming marty brennaman for the Reds plight! I thought it was Nuxhall's fault.
The problem with Marty, he doesn't care what anybody thinks, and will say whatever's on his mind that second. and he is unfirable. But he doesn't have much to do with W's & L's

pedro
03-23-2006, 03:18 PM
Jeez, blaming marty brennaman for the Reds plight! I thought it was Nuxhall's fault.
The problem with Marty, he doesn't care what anybody thinks, and will say whatever's on his mind that second. and he is unfirable. But he doesn't have much to do with W's & L's

and his hair. his hair is silly.

timmario66
03-23-2006, 03:18 PM

No offense to you Reds Fanatic but it is really any different than what goes on Redszone every day with half of the Reds roster. Yes, he did it on a 50,000 watt station and XM but I would bet as many people read this website as listen to a Reds ST game during a rain delay.

I just don't understand why Marty gets ripped for saying something negative about a player but all of us can say whatever we want.

Flame away.

M2
03-23-2006, 03:19 PM

No one said he did, but if what he's doing is parroting the opinion of the folks who've been running this franchise into the dirt then someone ought to jam a cork in his gob. Wisdom hasn't been the convention for the Reds of late, incompetence has.

KronoRed
03-23-2006, 03:20 PM
None of us are the "voice of the reds"

Also, we willingly slam players who are on the team, we don't wait till they are gone to say so.

Doc. Scott
03-23-2006, 03:20 PM
Butterworth on the accidental beer-commercial insertion.

LincolnparkRed
03-23-2006, 03:21 PM

All announcers can be replaced.

I think other than his famous "This one belongs to the Reds" Marty has been a black hole the last couple of years, bad jokes, dumb conversations about aliens and what not. I bought the MLB radio package last year and before April was even over I would listen to the other teams broadcast rather than sit through Marty's bile towards those he doesn't like.

Red Leader
and his hair. his hair is silly.

yeah, rly.;)

Doc. Scott
1-2-3 for the Reds; after 5.5 it's still 6-1.

Doc. Scott
03-23-2006, 03:23 PM
BONG! BONG! Now pitching for the Reds in the bottom of the sixth. Of course he's run down by Marty as one of the dubious prizes in a terrible trade. I rooted for Chris Reitsma as hard as anyone, but he's a setup man. Get a grip, Marty.

Furmaniak (traded by PIT to SD for Dave Ross last year, BTW). Two quick strikes. Grounder to Menechino for the out.

Edwards. Liner to right is picked off by Buchanan.

Bong throwin' some strikes today.

High fly to center retires the third guy.

"Who cares about Chris Reitsma?" says Marty with a sarcastic laugh.

6-1 Reds after 6.

RedsManRick
03-23-2006, 03:24 PM
1-2-3 for the Reds; after 5.5 it's still 6-1.

Wait... this is a game thread?

KronoRed
Hope they don't light him up

roby
I love Wily Mo...he was one of my all time favorites. I had high hopes for him. But, guys, let Marty be Marty. It could be worse...he could be like George Grande!

Doc. Scott
03-23-2006, 03:29 PM
Wait... this is a game thread?

Kvetching kills. Yeah, game threads.

Chip R
03-23-2006, 03:29 PM
BONG! BONG! Now pitching for the Reds in the bottom of the sixth.

The Undertaker?

Doc. Scott
03-23-2006, 03:32 PM
Top of 7. Terry Adams now pitching for Pittsburgh.

Jeff Bannon. Grounds to the right side, and the impending pitcher flip rims out of Adams' glove. Safe! E-1.

I betcha he's gonna steal. (Hey there, Money Marc.)

Cruz hits for Bong (heh). Called out on strikes.

(Marc flees the game thread. Was it something we said?)

Wise. Three pitches and see ya later.

Dave Ross. 0-for-1 today and 0-for-1 yesterday. TRADE HIM, HE CAN'T HIT! Ball's low, called a strike. Foul. In the dirt. Ball's outside. High fly, shallow right, and the German guy gloves it in front of Boobie.

6-1 Reds after 6.5.

Gainesville Red
03-23-2006, 03:34 PM
I liked when Marty said, "As Joe would say, those rain clouds are looking rather unanimous."

Chip R
03-23-2006, 03:35 PM
Gotta credit Marty for picking up the game thread. ;)

redsfan30
03-23-2006, 03:44 PM
Note to Bob Castellini: That bitter old man in the booth is going to cost you a lot money in the coming years.
How?

M2
03-23-2006, 03:46 PM
How?

Go back and read my post again. That's about as clear as I can make it.

Doc. Scott
03-23-2006, 03:47 PM
Justin Germano on for the Reds.

Sadler leads off with a scratch infield hit. Wait, there was an out there too.

Schwartzbauer. Germano falls behind 2-0. Grounder through the right side for a single. Didn't sound like it was hit hard; where's Womack and his trusty leather, HMMM?

Two on, one out.

Paulino, the catcher. Lines a single to left, and the bases are loaded.

Dohmann pinch-hits. Count runs to 2-1. Germano needs to get ahead of hitters, or he's meat. Bouncer to first, and Abad has only one play. Sadler scores and it's 6-2, runners on second and third, two down.

Bautista, the former Rule 5 guy who played for like 132 teams in one season. Germano gets ahead 1-2 thanks to a liner that's just foul. Way up high, count evens. CALLED STRIKE THREE GOT HIM LOOKING!

6-2 Reds after 7.

Doc. Scott
03-23-2006, 03:52 PM
Top of 8. Ryan "Reds' B*tch" Vogelsong on.

First man reaches somehow.

Denorfia. Two hits today for the Heartthrob. 2-1 count. Grounder to second, turned swiftly into a 4-6-3.

Buchanan. Four RBIs heute on a pair of two-run doubles. 3-1 count. Liner base hit to left! He won't make the club because he's not as "versatile" as Quinton McCracken, but he's made his case. I guess the "ability to hit" isn't as important.

Butterworth hits the wrong button again. It's okay, Matt. Hang in there.

Menechino. Grounder to the left-side hole, but the SS scores the FC.

Reds 6-2 after 7.5.

redsfan30
03-23-2006, 03:52 PM
Go back and read my post again. That's about as clear as I can make it.
I guarentee you if you poll Reds Radio Network listeners, 95% of the responses couldn't possibly care any less that he dislikes certain players (whether they warrant it or not).

I'm not telling you you shouldn't feel the way you do, but I'd be willing to bet that only about 5% of the listeners feel as strongly about this as you do. 5% of the listeners is not enough to fire him.

Reds1
03-23-2006, 03:54 PM
None of us are the "voice of the reds"

Also, we willingly slam players who are on the team, we don't wait till they are gone to say so.

Womack Sucks! :eek:

KronoRed
03-23-2006, 03:55 PM
Womack Sucks! :eek:
Word brother :cool:

M2
03-23-2006, 03:58 PM
I guarentee you if you poll Reds Radio Network listeners, 95% of the responses couldn't possibly care any less that he dislikes certain players (whether they warrant it or not).

I'm not telling you you shouldn't feel the way you do, but I'd be willing to bet that only about 5% of the listeners feel as strongly about this as you do. 5% of the listeners is not enough to fire him.

You're completely missing the point. Marty's spoonfeeding those listeners who swallow whole anything he says regular doses of poison about the product. It would be one thing if he blasted incompetent pitchers.

Yet when he's constantly riding the best power hitter the system's produced since Frank Robinson and talented kids like Edwin Encarnacion, then he's not only misinforming his listening public, he's turning people off to the potential building blocks of a franchise revival.

The problem isn't the 5%. It's the 95%.

Doc. Scott
03-23-2006, 04:00 PM
Bottom of 8. Germano still out there.

Furmaniak lashes a first-pitch double.

They're doing Jason LaRue John Deere Hat Day? That is AWESOME.

Grounder back to the mound, stabbed by Germano, and he SCORES the out at third. What an arm!

Siffredo or Cianfrocco or Fredo or somebody. Lecture from Marty about how clubs don't always bring their best 25 north. Back in the old days they did, apparently, but no longer. K. 1-2 count. Broken-bat liner snared by Germano, and he doubles the man off the base! End of the inning.

6-2 Cincy after 8.

Red Leader
03-23-2006, 04:01 PM
You're completely missing the point. Marty's spoonfeeding those listeners who swallow whole anything he says regular doses of poison about the product. It would be one thing if he blasted incompetent pitchers.

Yet when he's constantly riding the best power hitter the system's produced since Frank Robinson and talented kids like Edwin Encarnacion, then he's not only misinforming his listening public, he's turning people off to the potential building blocks of a franchise revival.

You've had so many good posts lately, M2, but this is one that I wish I could give you rep for. You'll have to take a raincheck until I spread it around a little more...

Doc. Scott
03-23-2006, 04:06 PM
Vogelsong faces Matt Kata in the top of the ninth.

Kata works the count to 1-2, then rips a single.

Bannon. Didn't hear, but it was an out.

ROB STRATTON PINCH-HITS FOR GERMANO! Ball one. Fouled back. BASE HIT LEFT FIELD! Two on, one out.

Wise. Called strike. Fly ball, hit well into the LCF gap! Bautista tracks it down for the out. Two down.

Ross. Ball one. See, he has plate discipline. Bouncer foul. Another foul. Ball two. TO THE HEAD! Fastball up and in off Dave's helmet. He's all right, folks! Ross is a catcher, after all. They love this stuff.

Bases loaded.

Abad fouls off the first pitch. FC grounder ends the inning.

One more half to go. 6-2 Reds.

deltachi8
03-23-2006, 04:06 PM
You've had so many good posts lately, M2, but this is one that I wish I could give you rep for. You'll have to take a raincheck until I spread it around a little more...

I took care of him for ya Red Leader....:thumbup:

Red Leader
03-23-2006, 04:10 PM
I took care of him for ya Red Leader....:thumbup:

You got my back, I got yours.

Thanks.

M2
03-23-2006, 04:10 PM
Doc, I love the Rob Stratton commmentary.

Doc. Scott
03-23-2006, 04:12 PM
Doc, I love the Rob Stratton commmentary.

And that was certainly a manly single he poked as well. Perhaps there is a chance.

Matt700wlw
03-23-2006, 04:13 PM
game's over.....bottom of the 9th will not be played due to rain.

That's a wrap folks!

Doc. Scott
03-23-2006, 04:13 PM
And the game's over. Stormy Weathers came on to pitch the ninth, apparently.

M2
03-23-2006, 04:14 PM
And that was certainly a manly single he poked as well. Perhaps there is a chance.

He should come equipped with his own oompah band.

Doc. Scott
03-23-2006, 04:15 PM
He should come equipped with his own oompah band.

Yeah. Rob Stratton snacks on thunder and craps lightning.

Red Leader
03-23-2006, 04:16 PM

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

redsfan30
03-23-2006, 04:21 PM

Trust me, I see what you're saying....I really do. I just disagree. Sure there are going to be some people that form their opinions based on what he says but I truely believe the majority just blow it off and enjoy the rest of the game. I just don't think the majority of the people takes what he or anybody else says as gospel.

Chip R
03-23-2006, 04:22 PM
We've heard that Wily Mo was a very hard worker and then we've heard that he's lazy and a slacker. Which of these is true? Maybe both. Maybe the past few years Wily Mo worked as hard as he could to be a good OFer but to no avail. I understand he and Barry Larkin were tight. Perhaps after having that starting OF spot taken away from him after they decided not to move Kearns to 3rd and coupled with the absence of Larkin, WMP decided that working hard wasn't doing him any good so he decided to stop taking extra hitting and extra fielding. I believe he was tight with D'Lo Jiminez too so when he was sacked, that was another bad thing that happened to him.

Before this fall I had never heard anyone disparage WMP's work ethic. So I'm guessing this may have been a recent occurance.

PickOff
03-23-2006, 05:07 PM
I don't think Marty knew much more about Pena's work ethic than the studied fan, but he probably figured if Mo could be that bad and lacksidasical in the field, rarely hustle down the line, and constantly lose focus at the plate, then he must be LAZY. Perhaps Pena has Attention Deficit Disorder, I don't know, but observation of his play could certainly lead one to call him lazy.

KronoRed
03-23-2006, 05:09 PM
Good work today leading us to the W Doc :)

traderumor
03-23-2006, 05:10 PM
Marty made the "WMP is the laziest ballplayer he's ever seen" comments several times now. He obviously formed that opinion and no one is gonna tell him any differently. But making them now says more about the person making the comments than it would WMP, even if they were true. That is not "telling it like it is," that is rude and should not be tolerated, Ford Frick Wing or not.

traderumor
03-23-2006, 05:10 PM
Doc, you are on a roll today.

Nugget
03-23-2006, 05:31 PM
I'd lay off Marty on the WMP comments - its not like its anything nwe. It's been Marty's opinion of WMP for some time. And as has been pointed out in other threads - WMP's rawness in both the field and the batter's box hasn't really improved over the past two years.

Big Rob - what happened to the power?????

westofyou
03-23-2006, 05:43 PM
Marty made the "WMP is the laziest ballplayer he's ever seen" comments several times now.

Where's the love?

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/players/pics/alex_johnson_autograph.jpg

Puffy
03-23-2006, 05:48 PM
Is that Curtis from "24"

Doc. Scott
03-23-2006, 06:12 PM
Trust me, I see what you're saying....I really do. I just disagree. Sure there are going to be some people that form their opinions based on what he says but I truely believe the majority just blow it off and enjoy the rest of the game. I just don't think the majority of the people takes what he or anybody else says as gospel.

Right, but I remember thinking that about Fox News Channel a few years ago, too. Fact is this: you keep hearing the same things over and over and over, you start to believe them. Aldous Huxley was smart.

Doc. Scott
03-23-2006, 06:13 PM
Big Rob - what happened to the power?????

Do not impugn Mr. Stratton's manliness, lest ye receive a forearm shiver that knocks you into yesterday. He hit that ball off his little finger.

pedro
03-23-2006, 06:15 PM
I think Marty is the laziest announcer I've ever heard.

If any of us spent as much time at work not doing our job we'd get fired.

MartyFan
03-23-2006, 06:32 PM
All announcers can be replaced.

I think other than his famous "This one belongs to the Reds" Marty has been a black hole the last couple of years, bad jokes, dumb conversations about aliens and what not. I bought the MLB radio package last year and before April was even over I would listen to the other teams broadcast rather than sit through Marty's bile towards those he doesn't like.

I agree...As much as I love Marty he and Joe were an absolute nightmare to listen to...of course he had to wake Joe every 15 minutes or so..so he has been multitasking and not able to pay full attention to his gig...now that Steve is here maybe it is time to go after someone like Paul Kiels (spelling) or another voice?

M2
03-23-2006, 06:36 PM

M2 whistles, looks off into the distance and tries to cover up his post count.

Caveat Emperor
03-23-2006, 07:01 PM
I think Marty is the laziest announcer I've ever heard.

After listening the past few years, I think that Marty feels that the only reason people listen to the Reds is to hear him. As the product on the field has gotten worse, Marty has increasingly become more of a charicature of an announcer. It started with griping more and more about the talent of the team, then moved on to random non-sequiters during the broadcast (with these asinine "news" stories that he'll read), and now has almost become mean spirited with his snide comments about various players that I'm sure he thinks fuels his image as an "honest" announcer.

He's stopped being Marty Brennaman the announcer and become "Marty Brennaman" the character -- much like a professional wrestler adopts a persona when in front of the camera that might be compeltely different than how they behave off screen. Whether it's ego or whether it's a genuine belief that he's the only "entertaining" part of a Reds broadcast, he's stealing his money from the Reds right now by not promoting the team with 100% of his airtime.

Chip R
03-23-2006, 07:33 PM
I would say Marty is less Bob Feller and more Howard Cosell during his last years working. For the life of me, I cannot figure out what people like Feller, Cosell and Marty have/had to be bitter about.

CrackerJack
03-23-2006, 07:35 PM
Rob Stratton doesn't hit to both sides of the field, he hits to zip codes.

TeamBoone
03-23-2006, 09:26 PM

:rolleyes: How many times have you been in the clubhouse?

I don't think Marty spends much time there either. He's too big to mingle with the players.

TeamBoone
03-23-2006, 09:31 PM
No offense to you Reds Fanatic but it is really any different than what goes on Redszone every day with half of the Reds roster. Yes, he did it on a 50,000 watt station and XM but I would bet as many people read this website as listen to a Reds ST game during a rain delay.

I just don't understand why Marty gets ripped for saying something negative about a player but all of us can say whatever we want.

Flame away.

Because what is said here isn't being broadcast to thousands of impressionable fans who don't know any better.

TeamBoone
03-23-2006, 09:36 PM
Originally Posted by redsfan30

Are you kidding me? Marty doesn't spend time with the players in the clubhouse. When he's not "working", he's playing golf. He spends less and less time at the ballpark every year... he's said as much on the air.

To be perfectly honest, we probably know more about these players than he does.

TeamBoone
03-23-2006, 09:38 PM
I think Steve is trying just a bit too hard to be funny.

He was probably embarassed by Marty's bluntness and trying a bit hard to sidetrack the listeners.

TeamBoone
03-23-2006, 09:41 PM

Straight shooter? Marty?

Everyone says Marty says what he think... which is probably true. Sometime he should try saying what he knows, which IMHO is probably a lot less than he'd like people to believe.

TeamBoone
03-23-2006, 09:43 PM
Dunn 3rd JR 4th..worked well last year, Dunn getting on base for the kid.

Last year? Adam rarely batted third; that slot was pretty much locked up by Casey.

KronoRed
03-23-2006, 09:46 PM
When it did happen it worked :D

TeamBoone
03-23-2006, 09:47 PM
It happened so rarely that I can't even remember!

KronoRed
03-23-2006, 09:53 PM
I know what you mean, he had 338 at bats last year 5th or lower, funny spot to put 1 of the 2 best players on the team.

Heath
03-23-2006, 09:53 PM
Wow - Doc Scott coming strong with PBP after he did it LAST NIGHT. Way to play to the business man's special.

My eyes still hurt from last night.

Good work one and all...

KronoRed
03-23-2006, 09:57 PM
My eyes still hurt from last night.

Gotta get in shape..that's what ST game threads are for :D