PDA

View Full Version : Womack available for trade???

timmario66
03-23-2006, 12:04 PM
Per Tim Kurkjian on ESPN.com:

Second base, Reds: Rich Aurilia, Ryan Freel, Tony Womack, Frank Menechino and Matt Kata are all battling for this spot. But in reality, this likely is going to be a nightly mix-and-match for manager Jerry Narron. Don't expect any Reds second baseman to play 140 games this year.

Aurilia will likely play the most games, but he's also the fallback plan at third base if rookie Edwin Encarnacion labors defensively. Freel can back up at third, and can play three outfield positions, where he'll be needed after the Reds traded Wily Mo Pena to the Red Sox Monday. Womack has been made available, if any team wants to make a trade for him.

I'm sure that's a big IF.

I had my hopes up until I read a 2nd part of his article:

Closer, Reds: They have lots of relievers, and no closer. If the season opened today, it would be a right-handed/left-handed combination of Rick White and Kent Mercker. Todd Coffey is a set-up guy, but he could close, as could Ryan Wagner and Matt Belisle, among others.

I think he meant David Weathers instead of Rick White. At least I hope so.

redsmetz
03-23-2006, 12:16 PM
For the proverbial "bag of balls"...

pedro
03-23-2006, 12:17 PM
I'm liking Krivsky more and more :)

BRM
03-23-2006, 12:19 PM
Womack has been made available, if any team wants to make a trade for him.

:pray:

There has to be a GM out there who's desperate to add some veteran presence to the lineup.

Joseph
03-23-2006, 12:22 PM
Someone call Jim Bowden, he has a history of getting poor fielding second basemen to move to new positions.

We'll take pretty much nothing in return.

Chip R
03-23-2006, 12:24 PM
:pray:

There has to be a GM out there who's desperate to add some veteran presence to the lineup.

Or some manager who is not that secure with his 2nd baseman du jour

http://www.kronishsports.com/images/Dusty%20Baker.jpg

http://images.ibsys.com/2000/1009/104182.jpg

IowaRed
03-23-2006, 12:54 PM
Maybe one of the better teams will be looking for an older, slower version of Herb Washington. I really don't see any other value

KronoRed
03-23-2006, 01:19 PM
Womack for Todd Walker

traderumor
03-23-2006, 01:22 PM
Get him drunk, put him on a Greyhound with a one way ticket to Albuquerque with his last check in his hand, and move on

UPRedsFan
03-23-2006, 03:20 PM
Doesn't Milwaukee need a veteran with speed?

TeamBoone
03-23-2006, 03:21 PM
Womack for Todd Walker

Didn't we read a week or so ago, that the Cubs are looking to trade Todd? Though I know most on the board don't like him either.

redsfan30
03-23-2006, 03:45 PM
Though I know most on the board don't like him either.
Most people on this board don't like anybody.

:evil:

Gainesville Red
03-23-2006, 03:48 PM
Most people on this board don't like anybody.

:evil:

Now that's not fair, I think we can all agree on liking Johnny Bench. And what about Santa Claus? Who could not like Santa?

KronoRed
03-23-2006, 03:48 PM
I don't like Johnny Bench :evil:

vaticanplum
03-23-2006, 03:49 PM
Would anyone here actually take tony Womack over Todd Walker?

Gainesville Red
03-23-2006, 03:49 PM
Well then how about WOY? Everyone likes him.

KronoRed
03-23-2006, 03:52 PM
Would anyone here actually take tony Womack over Todd Walker?
I can think of 1 poster ;)

M2
03-23-2006, 03:52 PM
Hey, I'll bet the Mariners could use a speedy 2B. I'd have Bill Bavasi at the top of my Buddy List.

Dunner44
03-23-2006, 04:48 PM
I know! Lets trade Woemack to Benatown for this Pena kid i keep hearing about... If Womack is half as good as he says he is, he'll be a star there.

roby
03-23-2006, 05:47 PM
I honestly don't care who they get...just trade Womack, PUH-LEASE. (Possible exceptions: Danny Graves, Ben Weber, Rich Aurilia...oh yea, already have him!).

Team Clark
03-23-2006, 06:25 PM
Having watched Tony Womack play at least 6 times this spring IN PERSON I must say I am VERY dissapointed. I went on record defending what he potentially brought to the table when he first arrived. I can no longer do that with Womack. He can still hit a little but to be honest he's slower than I remember and his defense which was suspect to begin with is now POOR at best. I had even gone to some length to speak with a few of his former teammates who praised his abilities. I hate to tell them that those abilities did not make the trip to spring training. Bergolla is a much better and less expensive bet at this stage. I know he's going to be down for some time. What a shame. Bring on Freel and Aurillia.

It would not surprise me at all from what I am hearing that Krivsky would CUT Womack loose before opening day if he felt it was in the best interest of the club.

Reports on Wilson are not as cheery as some of the beat writers are making it out to be. Wilson's telling people that he's not "full go" and he's taking baby steps, etc... Truth be told he is going full tilt in some of his sessions and "it" is not there. Unless you call 80-84 MPH "it". He's done.

pedro
03-23-2006, 06:28 PM
Thanks TC.

MrCinatit
03-23-2006, 07:20 PM
Who could not like Santa?

terrible range, never could hit the lefty curve, and kept leaving cookie crumbs in the clubhouse.

thanks for the news, Team Clark.

gonelong
03-24-2006, 01:33 AM
terrible range, never could hit the lefty curve, and kept leaving cookie crumbs in the clubhouse.

thanks for the news, Team Clark.

The dude can get around the world in 24 hours. Plenty of range in my book. :)

GL