PDA

View Full Version : O' where art thou Mr Smitherman?

medford
03-23-2006, 03:37 PM
According to Marc's blog Smitherman has worked his way all the way down to playing spring ball w/ High A Sarasota. Like the report on LeCure. Who is Johnny Cueto? I haven't caught his name, but Marc says he's pretty highly regarded.

Marc's Blog...

SARASOTA -- Wandered out to the back fields, where Dayton and Sarasota are playing their opposite numbers from the Orioles' system this afternoon. I retreated inside a couple minutes ago, as a storm has swept in and is now dropping sheets of rain at a 45-degree angle, as I see it from the press room, but there were some interesting sights out there earlier.

A couple of pitchers who are highly thought of in the organization were plying their trade. For Dayton, 20-year-old righty Johnny Cueto, and for Sarasota, University of Texas product Sam LeCure. I mostly watched LeCure, who I've been curious about, and was very impressed. Had pretty good stuff. Didn't see the radar gun, but the glove was popping on his fastball and guys were having trouble making solid contact. Nice breaking ball, too -- made one guy in the last inning he pitched look pretty bad.

Among the others playing for Sarasota were the great Bobby Mosby, a 6-1, 290-pound bopper who hit 19 homers in 69 games for Billings two years ago, the very well-regarded 2005 draft pick Adam Rosales at short and (I swear I'm not making this up) Stephen Smitherman. The Reds' 2003 minor league player of the year, who played 21 games in the majors that season, was with the High-A guys. He split time between Louisville and Chattanooga last year.

Also, word from rain-delayed Bradenton is that Jason Standridge has cleared waivers. No surprise there. He has three days to decide whether to accept an outright assignment to Louisville.