PDA

View Full Version : Bronson's Red's Debut: Game Thread for 3/25 vs. the Twinkies

Dunner44
03-25-2006, 10:30 AM
On to today's lineups. Narron said he expects at least five innings out of Arroyo today.

Twins
Jason Tyner CF
Luis Rodriguez 2B
Jason Kubel RF
Justin Morneau 1B
Glenn Williams 3B
Josh Rabe LF
Rob Bowen C
Jason Bartlett SS
Francisco Liriano P

Reds
Tony Womack 2B
Felipe Lopez SS
Ken Griffey Jr. CF
Edwin Encarnacion 3B
Adam Dunn LF
Rich Aurilia 1B
Austin Kearns RF
Jason LaRue C
Bronson Arroyo P

Looks like the regular lineup vs. lefties... sadly....

Tony womack 2b --->:help:

blumj
03-25-2006, 10:59 AM
Is Bronson actually supposed to pitch this thursday against the Red Sox, or do you think they will push him to friday because of the schedule?

TOBTTReds
03-25-2006, 12:26 PM
Game is on FSN today!

Liriano is nasty, this might not be pretty.

NastyBoy
03-25-2006, 12:27 PM
Looks like preview of the opening day lineup.. just for the fsn tv game.

Matt700wlw
03-25-2006, 12:29 PM
Is Bronson actually supposed to pitch this thursday against the Red Sox, or do you think they will push him to friday because of the schedule?

As far as I know, he'll pitch on schedule with the rotation....of course, that is subject to change.

PTBNL
03-25-2006, 12:41 PM
They have told him that he is on the board for Thurs. It really will depend on his pitch count today as to a rotation change. He doesn't have the type of arm that needs 'rest' or doesn't throw well if he skips a start or is moved up a day, etc. during the season. He just doesn't like being 'out of routine' as most players will attest too as well, but he's a real gamer and it's all about the good of the team. I expect more than 5 out of him. He'll try and be stingy with his pitches and if Narron doesn't have a quick hook, Arroyo works well when he's cruising and it should be evident to everyone at that point. Being that Arroyo knows LaRue and he also has prior experience with today's hitters as the Red Sox play the Twins quite a bit during ST as a 'natural' rival, this will be a really good outing for LaRue to get a 'feel' for how Bronson likes to throw. Hopefully he can 'get in his head' like Jason Varitek was able to do.
Regarding Arroyo throwing against his old team, that kind of stuff doesn't phase him. You will see a complete separation of entities when he takes the mound. Bottom line, it's war between the lines. Abad is one of his better friends, but it didn't mean he was going to serve him up some meat last Tues. just so Andy could have better leverage at making the team ;)
Just like if you hear about him out having dinner with a friend while he is in town playing the Reds. Bronson will still give him a fast up and in the next day if he has too! He's a Red now. And give him time, he will be a Red through-and-through and again, it will always be about the good of the team. :D

PTBNL
03-25-2006, 12:43 PM
Game is on FSN today!

Liriano is nasty, this might not be pretty.

He's on a pitch count though - 50 max :thumbup:

Reds Nd2
03-25-2006, 12:48 PM
He's on a pitch count though - 50 max :thumbup:

What's the latest on whether or not he'll win the 5th spot in the rotation?

TeamBoone
03-25-2006, 12:58 PM
Per the usual, AD is low in the lineup.

Caveat Emperor
03-25-2006, 01:02 PM
Per the usual, AD is low in the lineup.

Clearly Jerry Narron is thinking...

...well, I don't know what the hell he is thinking.

Caveat Emperor
03-25-2006, 01:08 PM
The King of Cornrows goes for the Reds in the Top of the 1st.

1.) Tyner leads things off, and Bronson starts his Reds career with a strike. Woo Hoo. Tyner pops up to Felipe Lopez. Bronson comments that in Boston, that would've been a strikeout.

2.) Luis Rodrieguez up next and gets a base hit into left field. Bronson comments that Manny Ramirez would've gotten to that hit and thrown the runner out at first. 1 on, 1 out.

3.) Jason Kubel hits a deep rocket over Griffey's head to the wall. Rodrieguez comes around to the 3rd. Marty rips on Felipe Lopez and Tony Womack for not cutting the throw off. I choose to blame Womack. Bronson comments that Nomar would've made the cut off. 1st and 2nd with 1 out.

4.) Morneau continues the hit parade, knocking a base hit. A run scores to make the score Twinkies 1, Reds 0. Bronson mutters something about Sam Adams and Marathons. 1st and 3rd with 1 out.

5.) Glenn Williams strikes out and will, no doubt, be teased mercilessly for not getting a base hit off Bronson Arroyo despite being a lefty (that's 5 consecutive lefties, for those of you counting at home). 1st and 3rd with 2 outs.

6.) Rob Brown pops out to Encarnacion to end the inning. Bronson trots eagerly back to the dugout to listen to the Dropkick Murphys on his iPod and ignore his new teammates.

After .5, Twinks 1 Reds 0.

Gallen5862
03-25-2006, 01:09 PM
I am getting the Braves Indians game on FSN. Has the Reds game started yet?

dougdirt
03-25-2006, 01:11 PM
yes it has gallen, and Arroyo isnt looking good

Matt700wlw
03-25-2006, 01:11 PM
I am getting the Braves Indians game on FSN. Has the Reds game started yet?

yes

TeamCasey
03-25-2006, 01:12 PM
Yes, Reds game on FSN now.

TeamCasey
GAC, you around today?

PTBNL
The King of Cornrows goes for the Reds in the Top of the 1st.

1.) Tyner leads things off, and Bronson starts his Reds career with a strike. Woo Hoo. Tyner pops up to Felipe Lopez. Bronson comments that in Boston, that would've been a strikeout.

2.) Luis Rodrieguez up next and gets a base hit into left field. Bronson comments that Manny Ramirez would've gotten to that hit and thrown the runner out at first. 1 on, 1 out.

3.) Jason Kubel hits a deep rocket over Griffey's head to the wall. Rodrieguez comes around to the 3rd. Marty rips on Felipe Lopez and Tony Womack for not cutting the throw off. I choose to blame Womack. Bronson comments that Nomar would've made the cut off. 1st and 2nd with 1 out.

Thanks Caveat Emperor for the quips and chuckles!
Although I am also quite sure that when Griff threw that in he said, WOW, that's no noodle arm Johnny Damon :D

Gallen5862
03-25-2006, 01:18 PM
What are some links to the Reds game so I can get it on the internet radio feed? Thanks.

dougdirt
03-25-2006, 01:19 PM
Is Liriano afraid of mighty Tony Womack? I think so, walks him on 4 pitches.

Caveat Emperor
Liriano on the hill. Why can't Krivsky trade for guys like this?

1.) Tony Womack steps into the batters box. RedsZone erupts into a chorus of boos. Womack takes a walk on 4 straight pitches. He displays anger while trotting up the first base line at the thought of his OBP rising slightly.

1 on, 0 out.

2.) Felipe Lopez with a line drive base hit. Somewhere, Dave Miley mutters about Aurillia not getting enough ABs. 1st and 2nd with 0 outs. Reds, shall we say, threatening...

3.) Ken Griffey Jr. bounces to the shortstop, with the only play going to the 1st baseman to retire Jr. The runners advance. BadFundamentalness Factor: 3.

4.) Edwin Encarnacion hits a rocket ground rule double to drive in the first 2 runs of the game for the Reds. 2 runs score for the good guys. Narron tells reporters that Louisville fans can look forward to lots of that from Edwin this year. 2-0 Reds.

5.) Dunn grounds out to the first baseman, with the pitcher covering. Can't stress the importance of pitchers fielding practice often enough. Dunn robbed of a hit, the runner advances. The joy of making contact and moving the runner over. Scrappiness Factor: 4. 3rd with 2 out.

6.) Rich Aurillia decides there's just too much fun happening in this inning, and kills the party with a groundout to 3rd. Inning over.

Going to the 2nd, Reds 2, Twinks 1.

Gandalf the Red
yes it has gallen, and Arroyo isnt looking good

No worries--we're still well within the 30-day return policy.

PTBNL
03-25-2006, 01:20 PM
One thing you will find about Arroyo and IMO it's quite reminiscent of Bret Saberhagen's mound demeanor. If they have men on they 'bring it.' It's almost like they are mad that they have 'men on.' I'm not comparing Arroyo's pitching to a Cy Young award winner, but you see some pitchers get rattled and you see guys make bad pitch selections under pressure. Arroyo gets finer tuned pitching from the stretch. He will change an arm angle on a curve and the hitter will have no idea what's coming. Arroyo could throw a strike from over his head, side arm and underhand if he wanted to.

Matt700wlw
03-25-2006, 01:21 PM
Encarnacion contiunes to shine -- we have a future star on our hands!

:rockband:

dougdirt
03-25-2006, 01:27 PM
CE, not cool with the EE comment!

Caveat Emperor
03-25-2006, 01:29 PM
Bronson Arroyo takes the hill. Marc Lancaster takes the mic in the booth. Can life be any better?

1.) Rob Bowen leads off with a strikeout. Lancaster comments that the injury to Wise opens the door to Quinten McCracken. Lancaster also says the 3 catchers situations doesn't make any sense and that a trade is going to be made in the very near future.

2.) Jason Bartlet flies out to Kearns. To the delight of these ears, he says that he also expects a 2nd baseman to be moved, citing Tony Womack as the best option.

Reds apparently signed Alex Sanchez today too. Joy.

3.) Liriano strikes out as well. 2 punchouts for Arroyo, who goes back to the clubhouse to surf on SOSH and lament about his lack of Red Soxiness.

Not much from Lancaster...Arroyo needs to learn that Reds pitchers are supposed to blow up in the 2nd inning so we can get a lot of good dirt.

Coming to the bottom of the 2nd, Reds 2 - Twinks 1.

NastyBoy
03-25-2006, 01:29 PM
3 Ks for the new reds pitcher... not bad.

RedsManRick
03-25-2006, 01:31 PM
Reds apparently signed Alex Sanchez today too. Joy.

Woohoo! Another scrappy veteran OF...

Caveat Emperor
03-25-2006, 01:31 PM
Woohoo! Another scrappy veteran OF...

On the plus side, it gives me someone to chant "STER-ROIDS" to on our own team.

Matt700wlw
03-25-2006, 01:33 PM
Nice hat, Bob..

:)

Caveat Emperor
03-25-2006, 01:34 PM
Liriano back on the mound. Reds looking to do some more damage, just because that's the only thing they do well, generally.

1.) Austin Kearns works the count full, pimping is #P/PA stat, before gracefully exiting via the whiff. Maybe with those big ears, he'd be better off doing the Daredevil thing and closing his eyes to use the one sense God must've truly blessed him with.

2.) Jason LaRue grounds out. Marty and Steve go off on the linguistics of spring training and encourage fans not to get caught up in spring training numbers. Especially those belonging to Tony Womack.

3.) Bronson Arroyo with the stick. Marty acts as Arroyo's road manager and encourages Cincinnati local tavern owners to book Arroyo's act. Apparently he's never heard Bronson plaay. Bronson chops it to 3rd and is thrown out. He goes back to the dugout, obviously mad, stating that in Boston they never made him hit.

After 2, Reds 2 - Twinks 1.

Falls City Beer
03-25-2006, 01:34 PM
On the plus side, it gives me someone to chant "STER-ROIDS" to on our own team.

Clearly a Sanchez of the dirty variety. Dirty competitor, that Sanchez.

NastyBoy
03-25-2006, 01:35 PM
Lets see how bronson does with the bat..

NastyBoy
03-25-2006, 01:36 PM
Fastballs.... LOL

Reds Nd2
03-25-2006, 01:38 PM
Clearly a Sanchez of the dirty variety. Dirty competitor, that Sanchez.

:laugh: :laugh:

NastyBoy
03-25-2006, 01:39 PM
What are some links to the Reds game so I can get it on the internet radio feed? Thanks.

ONLY internet feed is on MLB.com. Buy the total access package for $99. IT ROCKS!

Caveat Emperor
03-25-2006, 01:40 PM
Arroyo, still upset at having to bat and do the whole NL thing, steps back up on the mound. He misses Boston's mound already.

1.) Jason Tyner steps in. Steve comments that Bronson Arroyo is 6'5" -- meaning that I would own him in the paint. Tyner grounds to second, the play going Womack to Aurillia. The collective masses of RedsZone give one of these: :bang:

2.) Rodrieguez up next and takes a 5 pitch by Bronson Arroyo. He goes to the umpire to complain that the strike zone he enjoyed in Boston was much better and that all 5 of those pitches would've been strikes. The umpire calls him "wicked stupid." 1st with 1 out.

3.) Kubel up at the plate and gets a full count from Bronson Arroyo and draws another walk from Arroyo. Back to Back walks for Bronson.

4.) Morneau pops up to Felipe Lopez, apparently forgetting the #1 rule of batting against a pitcher that just walked two batters: WAIT AND TAKE A STRIKE, MORON! Bronson benefits from this mental error. 2 on, 2 outs.

5.) Glen Williams drives an 0-1 pitch to the cheapies for his first home run in the grapefruit league. 3 run dinger. But, on the plus side, there ends the string of 5 consecutive lefties in the lineup. 4-2 Twinks.

6.) Rabe foams a double down the left field line to Adam Dunn. Krivsky wondering if he can have "do overs" on the trade.

7.) Bowen with a flair into center that drops for a hit and scores another run. Arroyo grabs the cell phone to call Curt Schilling and ask to be reminded how big certain parts of his anatomy are. 5-2 Twinks, 2 out.

8.) Bartlet chops to short to mercifully end the inning. Bronson throws his glove in disgust and wishes he was at a place where everyone knew his name.

5-2 Twinks. I love this game.

PTBNL
03-25-2006, 01:41 PM
I haven't read anything on any of the threads here, but Arroyo threw a Perfect Game in AAA - Pawtucket in '03 in the International League. One of the toughest.

NastyBoy
03-25-2006, 01:42 PM
His leg kick looks a little different...

Matt700wlw
03-25-2006, 01:43 PM
Who plays first? Haddeberg or Aurilia?

The question of the day...

PTBNL
03-25-2006, 01:44 PM
I jinxed the outing :bang:

EDIT - FUDGECICLE! I hate you Glenn Williams

NastyBoy
03-25-2006, 01:45 PM
Who plays first? Haddeberg or Aurilia?

The question of the day...

It will be a platoon.. with Rich getting majority of playing time.

NastyBoy
03-25-2006, 01:46 PM
Holy Crap... 2 run dinger.

Petitt33
Ouch, Arroyo gives up a jack.

4-2 Twins

NastyBoy
Pitch right down middle of plate.

PTBNL
03-25-2006, 01:53 PM
Anyone got a pitch count?
By the way, Arroyo doesn't have a circle-change. I don't know these announcers yet and I am not sure which one said it. Is one of them a former pitcher? I thought y'all had a famous lefty in the booth? I apologize for my ignorance here :rolleyes:

Caveat Emperor
03-25-2006, 01:55 PM
We're joined in the game thread by Marc Lancaster. First question for Marc: Was there any consideration of picking up Hee Seop Choi as a possible improvement at 1st? [ :crickets chirp:] Alright, I didn't expect an answer.

1.) Tony Womack leading off with a sharp shot to Bartlet. He's gunned down. Second question for Marc: Tony Womack...bad second baseman, or WORST second baseman?

2.) Felipe Lopez smacks a base hit through the infield. That's my fantasy 2b/ss right there! Woot.

3.) Ken Griffey Jr. in. With Jr batting, Lopez takes 2nd on a passed ball. Jr. grounds out to Morneau, advancing Lopez to 3rd. It must be contagious, this whole make contact to advance the runner thing. Personally, I like it much better than home runs. Lopez to 3rd, 2 outs.

4.) Edwin Encarnacion at the plate and goes down on three straight pitches, ending the inning with Lopez standing on 3rd base, lonely and wishing his teammates cared enough to bring him home. Narron congratulates Edwin and tells him that he needs to look at Aurillia for guidance in how to bat in that situation.

At the end of the 3rd, Twinks still leading the Reds.

Caveat Emperor
03-25-2006, 02:00 PM
Start of the 4th inning for Bronson Arroyo.

1.) Torres replaces Liariano, and then pops a bunt up to Tony Womack for the first out of the inning. I wish I had something funny to say, but the joy of watching someone pinch hit for a pitcher and then pop a bunt out is too great to describe.

2.) Jason Tyner grounds out quickly -- which is fortunate, because nobody likes a long ground out.

3.) Rodrieguez up next and grounds out to Tony Womack, who quickly retires the side. Yes, I did snarl as I typed "Tony Womack."

Bronson Arroyo trots of the mound, proud owner of a new RedsZone conspiracy theory: he only pitches well in even numbered innings.

Twinks still leading.

PTBNL
03-25-2006, 02:01 PM
What's the latest on whether or not he'll win the 5th spot in the rotation?

This was in the local rags in Minn. today:
"There's no doubt in my mind that he can come out of the bullpen and get a left-hander out," said Gardenhire, adding that he hasn't eliminated Liriano from winning a starting job.

Heath
03-25-2006, 02:03 PM
I was wondering who chooses the intro on the innings. Only thing he's missing is some banjo music... :D

Caveat Emperor
03-25-2006, 02:05 PM
I was wondering who chooses the intro on the innings. Only thing he's missing is some banjo music... :D

Dueling, hopefully.

TeamCasey
03-25-2006, 02:06 PM
Great job Caveat. :laugh:

Caveat Emperor
03-25-2006, 02:06 PM
Going to the lower half of the 4th, it's Guerrea/o into pitch.

1.) Adam Dunn hits, as Steve so brilliantly describes, an "At'em" ball to the first baseman for the first out. Adam needs to make contact more. 1 out.

2.) Rich Aurillia at bat. Steve states that Rich "Just wants to pay" -- coming as a shock to anyone who hasn't stood around Rich for more than 20 seconds when he wasn't playing. Rich strikes out. Jerry Narron comments that "He's just working his swing out" and then names Rich Aurillia new team captain. 2 outs.

3.) Austin Kearns hits a little league home run out to center field for the 3rd out. Somewhere out in radioland, Ray King laughs maniacally and says "Fools! I have destroyed his career! muwahahaahaha!"

The freedom-hating Twinks 5, Reds 2.

TC81190
03-25-2006, 02:08 PM
Ok, so I really didn't really enjoy the announcers kissing Rich's rear-end during that AB. Ugh.

Gallen5862
03-25-2006, 02:09 PM
Thanks for the pbp Caveat. This way can find out what is happening.

Gallen5862
03-25-2006, 02:10 PM
Marcs Blog.
http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/spring/
Reds sign Sanchez

SARASOTA -- The Reds have decided to take a chance on Alex Sanchez.

The outfielder is known for carrying around some baggage, including the dubious distinction of being the first player busted by MLB's steroid policies last year, but he's got some serious talent. A .296 career hitter in the majors and .295 in the minors, plus plenty of speed.

The Reds have signed him to a minor league deal. Johnny Almaraz believes he'll be able to keep Sanchez in line -- he said his ability to speak Spanish probably will help, which makes sense -- and said he's made it clear to the player that the team will have "zero tolerance" for any misbehavior.
I should have a full story up shortly on CincyPost.com.

In the family

SARASOTA -- Going through workouts on the back fields as we speak: Jason Standridge.

Probably a smart move on his part to accept the assignment. I imagine we'll see him in the majors at some point this year.

Caveat Emperor
03-25-2006, 02:11 PM
Into the 5th inning, Scott Hatteberg takes over for Rich Aurillia. Hatteberg's Value over Hated Player is 0, so I consider this move a wash.

Incidentally, this being an odd-numbered inning, I predict Bronson Arroyo will struggle based on the inordinately small sample size of 2 good innings and 2 bad innings.

1.) Kubel up first, taking a 3-2 count and hitting a bouncer back to Arroyo, who jumps high and makes the play. He throws out to Hatteberg. Marty notes that Bronson is wearing 61, the same number he wore for the Red Sox. Bronson said his 61 in Boston was bigger and nicer to read.

2.) Morneau up, and Tony Womack lets a ball go right between his legs for another error. His 4th of the spring. Words fail me.

3.) Glenn Williams hits a drive over Griffey's head, driving in another run. It's a double, and Arroyo is already on the cell phone, begging Krivsky to trade for Johnny Damon to man center field. 6-2 Twinks

4.) Rabe flies routinely out. Well, as routeinly as things can be with Arroyo.

5.) Bowen grounds out to Womack, who decides "The hell with it, I'll not suck on this play" and makes the out.

After 5.5, Twinks 6, Reds 2.

TC81190
03-25-2006, 02:11 PM
WHOA, NICE snag by Arroyo,

Matt700wlw
03-25-2006, 02:13 PM
Womack screws up again...(4th error of the spring)

TC81190
And a wonderful play on Mr. T. That being Womack.

TC81190
6-2, Minnesota. Arroyo is scaring me.

Also, watching Jr. run out there in CF is painful.

Gallen5862
What did Arroyo do to make the catch? Was it a comebacker?

Gallen5862
03-25-2006, 02:14 PM
How did Womack mess up?

Matt700wlw
What did Arroyo do to make the catch? Was it a comebacker?

jumped.

PTBNL
Arroyo has a rep for rarely if ever getting a good leather on a comebacker - that was sweet! Must be nice to be 6'5 and a former basketball all star to boot - LOL!

PTBNL
03-25-2006, 02:15 PM
How did Womack mess up?

Watching old Billy Buckner "how to" tapes.

Reds Nd2
03-25-2006, 02:15 PM
Anyone got a pitch count?
By the way, Arroyo doesn't have a circle-change. I don't know these announcers yet and I am not sure which one said it. Is one of them a former pitcher? I thought y'all had a famous lefty in the booth? I apologize for my ignorance here :rolleyes:

Joe Nuxhall is the lefty on some of the radio broadcasts. Chris Welsh is the lefty on the television broadcasts. Nuxy is the famous one. ;)

Caveat Emperor
03-25-2006, 02:17 PM
Heading to the home half of the 5th, I'd say our best hope for a winning season is for someone in the Diamond Club to get Tony Womack to flip them off.

1.) Jason LaRue up first, hits a high fly ball -- deep and far -- and a DINGER! Krivsky from the owner's box: "Way to up that trade value, son!" 6-3 Twinks

2.) Javier Valentin ends the day for Bronson Arroyo (5IP, 7H, 6R, 5ER -- a robust 9.00 ERA for the day. But, on the plus side, only 1 HR). Marty pimps George Mason University a little bit, which is funny because GMU is the school that guys that can't get into UVA or JMU go to. Valentin bounces out for the 1st out.

3.) Tony Womack pops out, because that's what he does best: Make outs, and suck in the field. 2 outs.

4.) Lopez lines out. Womack attempts to give him a few pointers in the dugout, and Lopez (thankfully) puts his fingers in his ears and yells "NAH NAH, I'm not listening!"

End of the 5th, Twinks 6, Reds trailing.

TC81190
03-25-2006, 02:18 PM
HR LaRue. Nice swing put on that one.

Matt700wlw
Larue!

PTBNL
Joe Nuxhall is the lefty on some of the radio broadcasts. Chris Welsh is the lefty on the television broadcasts. Nuxy is the famous one. ;)

Thanks a bunch!

THANK YOU MATT GUERRIER - Color me on Team LaRue to stay :D

TC81190
03-25-2006, 02:19 PM
Javy showing some good discipline.

Gallen5862
03-25-2006, 02:20 PM
Larue.:party: :beerme:

TC81190
03-25-2006, 02:21 PM
TeeDub pops one out.

PTBNL
03-25-2006, 02:23 PM
FYI - Announcers talking about David Ross. He's out of options.
I don't see him being exposed on waivers at this point. Besides other teams looking for catching, I know the Dodgers would take him back in a hot minute.

Caveat Emperor
03-25-2006, 02:26 PM
David Weathers takes over in the 6th. Javier Valetin takes over behind the dish, LaRue heads back to the clubhouse to work on his Madden Football skills.

1.) Bartlett up first, though how he finds time to take BP while running the nation is beyond me. Weathers, intimidated by his presdential presence, walks him on 4 straight pitches.

2.) Steve Tollison pinch hits for the pitcher and goes to a full count. Weathers punches him out, and then, for an extra "screw you" to the Twins, Valentin picks Bartlett off first. Strike 'em out, throw 'em out. Bartlett back to the Santos campaign headquarters. 2 outs.

3.) Tyner up next. Marty and Steve discuss trading potential of catchers. I like when they both are on the mic, the game flows a lot more smoothly than when one hits the buffet line and leaves a 1 man booth. Tyner lines out, and makes it a 1-2-3 inning.

Twinks still in charge, heading to the home half.

TC81190
03-25-2006, 02:26 PM
David Weathers in. He's a punching bag this spring.

TC81190
03-25-2006, 02:28 PM
Double play on an assist by Javy and a K as well.

Matt700wlw
03-25-2006, 02:33 PM
:griffey:

:jump:

Caveat Emperor
03-25-2006, 02:33 PM
Benches empty for the Twins, as a lot of guys who you don't care about come into the game.

1.) Ken Griffey Jr. leads the innning off, WITH THE BOMB. The first dinger of the spring for Griffey. Remember kids, it ain't iffey if it's Griffey.

2.) Encarnacion pops it up for the first out. Crowd, still elated with Jr.'s longball, acts indifferently. Narron seen on "Greyhound.com" booking Encarnacion's ticket back to Louisville.

3.) Adam Dunn with the BIG FLY. Another home run for the Reds. Dan O'Brien seen in Milwaukee, still certain that the Reds shouldn't lock him up into a contract.

4.) Hatteberg gets into the act, but with a base hit -- because that's way more scrappy than a home run

5.) Kearns kills the party by grounding into a Casey Play. Oh well, someone has to pick up the slack for the mayor not being around.

2 more for the good guys, 6-5 Twinks still.

Reds Nd2
03-25-2006, 02:34 PM
Jr. homers while Senior is doing an interview with Welsh.

TC81190
03-25-2006, 02:34 PM
Griffey rips one.

Matt700wlw
03-25-2006, 02:35 PM
:dunn:

TC81190
Adam rips one too. Back to back.

Reds Nd2
Back to back. Long stick goes boom!

PTBNL
03-25-2006, 02:36 PM
Yeeeeehaaaaw! Let's not let the new kid get an L in his first outing :rockband:

TC81190
03-25-2006, 02:37 PM
Hatteberg Caseys. It's like the mayor never left.

Gallen5862
03-25-2006, 02:38 PM
WTG Junior and Dunn.:thumbup: :party: :jump:

TeamCasey
03-25-2006, 02:38 PM

:deadhorse

Reds Nd2
03-25-2006, 02:41 PM

Hatteberg singled to right. Kearns grounded into the Casey.

TC81190
03-25-2006, 02:43 PM
You sure? :confused:

Caveat Emperor
03-25-2006, 02:44 PM
Kent Mercker takes the hill. Ryan Freel takes over for Austin Kearns in Right Field. Freel's Scrappiness over Replacement Player is +40, so this is an improvement on the whole.

1.) Tolbert up first. Marty points out that Kent Mercker hates his own first name. The official rule is "Never trust a man with 2 first names" but, in Kent's case, he's got two last names...which really confuses me as to how I should treat him. I like Kent, so I'm going to choose to trust him and hope that he has good trade value by the deadline. Count goes full. More chatter about Kent being mistakne as "Ken", which is a source of amusement. I know, personally, I laugh when I see "Kent Broo" on TV. Mercifully, the AB ends with a walk. 1 on, 0 out.

2.) Kobol, or one of his 13 colonies, hits a double all the way to the wall, advancing the runner to 3rd. 2nd and 3rd with nobody out. The cast and crew of Battlestar Galactica applaud politely in the crowd. 2nd and 3rd, 0 out.

3.) Hart hits a high fly ball into left field, played by Dunn. The runner tags and scores, the other runner advances to third. Fundamental baseball, baby. Nothing more exciting. Twinks 7, Reds 5. 3rd with 1 out.

4.) Tiffey grounds shaprly to Womack, who drops the ball, but still manages to hold the runner at 3rd and make the out. You know what they say about broken clocks. 3rd with 2 outs.

5.) Rabe up next, foaming at the mouth for a chance to hit off Mercker. Apparently, too eager, as he swings through a breaking ball.

It's stretch time, Twinks 7-5 leaders.

Reds Nd2
03-25-2006, 02:47 PM
You sure? :confused:

Yes.

Reds Nd2
03-25-2006, 02:48 PM
If it's beneficial for Milton to throw from the 1B side of the rubber, why does Mercker pitch from the 3B side?

Caveat Emperor
03-25-2006, 02:54 PM
The home half of the 7th starts with the lefty Darryl May on the mound (I'm just trusting Steve on this one)...

1.) Ryan Freel up at the plate. A "SCRAP-EEE" chant erupts around the assembled massses. Freel continues his hot spring with a strikeout...but a scrappy strikeout neverthless.

2.) Javier Valentin drives a ball to deep center, carried by the wind into the wall. Javy motors into second for a double. Krivsky continues to scream from the owners box: "TRADE VALUE! TRADE VALUE! Yeah baby!" Man on 2nd, 1 out.

3.) Tony Womack (Hisss! Boo!) with a basehit up the middle, driving Valentin in from first. Womack mugs for the crowd and twirls his mustach in a truly villianous manner, making him all the more unlikeable. He steals a lollypop from a young fan on his way to first as well. Reds still trail 7-6, 1 out, man on 1st.

4.) Felipe Lopez at the bat. Marty complains something about a young whippersnapper with a bad attitude in the NCAA tournment. Lopez flies out.

5.) With Griffey batting, Tony Womack steals a base. We can only hope the authorities have been contacted and that his prison sentence extends beyond the start of the season. Kent Griffey Jr. hits an infield popup for the 3rd out, stranding Womack on 2nd.

After 7, reds still trail 7-6.

PTBNL
03-25-2006, 02:55 PM
:deadhorse

:laugh: That's the best icon I have ever seen on a board!

Hey, did anyone see this:
Dewayne Wise probably will be sidelined through the start of the season with the sprained ankle he suffered Friday.
from Rotoworld

blumj
03-25-2006, 02:59 PM
grounding into a Casey Play

Just for the day, if you'd like to make Bronson feel more at home, you might want to call that a "Renteria".

Caveat Emperor
03-25-2006, 03:04 PM
Into the 8th, the ageless Chris Hammond takes the hill, with a scoreless inning streak on the line. Matt Kata enters the game at short, Aaron Holbert in at 2nd. It's like playing one of those baseball video games where they don't get an MBLPA license and your forced to use random names.

1.) Sean Wooten apparently in the game now. Speaking of Woot, woot.com is a fun site that gets great deals on electronics occasionally. Definately worth checking out. Wooten flies out. Woot.

2.) Bartlet issues an executive order, smacking the ball down the line for a double. Chris Hammond, starstruck, shakes his hand but admits that he voted for Ritchie in the last election. Bartlet trots back to the West Wing and Jason Pridey? in to run.

3.) Maza into pinch hit, and smack a double out left that Dunn can't get to. Bronson Arroyo jumps in to note -- but is cut off and smacked by the entire Reds team. 1 run score, Boston goes up 8-6.

4.) Another base hit by Tyner on a bad defensive play by Kata. Runner advances to third.

5.) Tolbert with a hit to third, the runner at 2nd is thrown out on a fielders choice. Maza scores from third, Twinks go up 9-6. I love spring training baseball.

6.) Fly ball to center field ends the inning. I'd tell you who hit the ball, but Marty was just blathering about Sarasota and Arizona and I missed who was batting. Fun times. I'll bet he gets cut next week anyway.

After 8.5, Reds still in the hole by 3.

Caveat Emperor
03-25-2006, 03:17 PM
The good guys come up to bat. Ryan Glenn takes the mound for the Twins. The twins make some defensive alignment changes, but I was busy staring at a strange spot on my carpet when Marty was talking about it.

1.) Easy E at the dish for the Reds takes a free pass to first. Tony Womack calls out from the dugout to remind him the OBP is overrated and to swing the bat, rook. Frank Mena-Mena-Mena-Not gonna be here next week takes over running for Edwin.

2.) Adam Dunn steps in, making mortals tremble in his wake. He then lives up to his reputation and JACKS THE BALL for another Home Run. Adam Dunn :notworthy 9-8 Twinks, but the Reds charging like Seabiscuit baby!!

3.) Hatteberg up to bat and hits a line drive for a base hit. Bronson Arroyo points out that Big Papi would've sent the baseball to Mars. He then resumes icing his arm and his ego. 1 on, 0 out.

4.) Matt Kata stikes out swinging on a bad cut. Nothing funny about that. He'll have good stories for his kids someday, though.

5.) Ryan Freel comes to bat to the tune "Don't Fear the Reaper" -- Don't Fear the Scrapper, more like it (The Ceasers do a fantastic cover of this song, incidentally). Freel hits a soft, scrappy line drive through the infield, moving Hatteberg to 2nd. Rally caps are passed throughout the dugout. 2 on, 1 out.

6.) Valentin hits a screamer that the 2nd baseman knocks down but cannot do anything with. The bags are now loaded, and Jacob Cruz comes up to bat as a pinch hitter. I can feel the excitement through my radio.

7.) Jacob Cruz hits a line drive into center field that is caught, with no ability for any runners to advance. He's now 0-9 as a pinch hitter in spring training, and he's probably about to be victimized by Quentin McCracken for a roster spot. Bases juiced, 2 outs.

8.) Andy Abad bats for the pitcher, Hammond. Abad takes a free pass to get the easiest RBI he'll have all spring.

9.) I got a phone call and missed what happened, but apparently Griffey got a base hit that drove 2 runs in, Abad advances to 3rd. The good guys now in charge 11-9! Griff is, indeed the man.

10.) Frank Mena-Mena-Not gonna be here next week up now and grounds out to end the inning, but it doesn't matter, because the Reds are winning. There's no "I" in team, Frank, you gotta learn that if you wanna make the show!

11-9, the Good Guys BACK ON TOP!

Matt700wlw
03-25-2006, 03:18 PM
:dunn:

Reds Nd2
03-25-2006, 03:19 PM
Long stick goes boom for the second time today!

TeamCasey
03-25-2006, 03:23 PM
Bases Loaded!

TeamCasey
03-25-2006, 03:25 PM
C'mon Abad!

Gallen5862
03-25-2006, 03:27 PM
Let's get a Rally going Reds.

Matt700wlw
03-25-2006, 03:27 PM
:griffey:

Reds lead!

vaticanplum
03-25-2006, 03:28 PM
gah!

TeamCasey

Dunner44
whos in the lead now biznitches

Caveat Emperor
03-25-2006, 03:29 PM
Crummy pitching, tons of offense, I feel like it's July!

Gallen5862
03-25-2006, 03:30 PM
Way to go Junior. The Reds get Arroyo off the hook in his debut.

KronoRed
03-25-2006, 03:31 PM
:clap:

PTBNL
03-25-2006, 03:31 PM
Who will come out in the 9th? Does Hammond ever go more than 2 anymore? I haven't seen him since Atlanta.
EDIT: Wagner on the hill

Dunner44
03-25-2006, 03:32 PM
Who will come out in the 9th? Does Hammond ever go more than 2 anymore? I haven't seen him since Atlanta.

Doesn't matter, he got pulled for Abad who walked in a run...

MasonBuzz3
03-25-2006, 03:33 PM
can someone give a play-by-play update on what just happened? thanks

Caveat Emperor
03-25-2006, 03:35 PM
Heading to the 9th now, and it's a save opportunity for Ryan Wagner. Lets see what Wags has to offer as he is now, apparently, battling for a spot in the bullpen.

1.) Jason "Barracuda" Heart leads it off and gets RUNG UP by RYAN. Jason, just browsing, as he looks at strike 3. 1 out.

2.) Scott Hatteberg picks a ground ball and throws to covering Wagner, who is involved in a collision but is OK. Marty pimps Hatteberg's defense, and ignores his OPS and offensive deficiencies. 2 out.

3.) Rabes up for the Twins, and keeps the game alive by biting a hanging breaking ball into the outfield for a base hit. Hatteberg stays well away, as he doesn't want to have to get a shot after the game is over.

4.) Rabes stills a base, on catcher's indifference. Caveat Emporer leads his cry for any home run hit off Eric Milton to be disallowed as "pitcher's indifference"

Ground ball put out, and THIS ONE BELONGS TO THE REDS!

Your game thread attendance for the day: 35. The RedsZone and TwinsZone thank you.

PTBNL
03-25-2006, 03:35 PM
Doesn't matter, he got pulled for Abad who walked in a run...

DOH! :eek: Thanks!

Dunner44
03-25-2006, 03:39 PM
3.) Rabes up for the Twins, and keeps the game alive by biting a hanging breaking ball into the outfield for a base hit. Hatteberg stays well away, as he doesn't want to have to get a shot after the game is over.

LMAO :thumbup:

Gallen5862
03-25-2006, 03:42 PM
"This one belongs to the Reds." Thats a way to show Arroyo that this team can score runs.

Caveat Emperor
03-25-2006, 03:42 PM
Incidentally, the Reds are ensured their 3rd consecutive winning spring training...Woot. That's all for today's game thread, be sure to tip your waitresses and be around tomorrow. Brandon Claussen on the hill.

This is the twentysomething right hander, rounding third and heading for home (or the shower, in this case).

KronoRed
03-25-2006, 03:47 PM
Thanks CE :clap:

vaticanplum
03-25-2006, 03:54 PM
Holy man, that was great. Thanks everybody. I can't believe I get so excited following a baseball game online --- this is the time of the offseason when we all start to lose it I think. Opening Day really can't come fast enough at this point.

PTBNL
03-25-2006, 04:18 PM
And way down South ---
Representing the tying run at the plate - Wily Mo whiffs with 2 outs in the bottom of the 9th with a man on - Red Sox lose to the BJays 5-3.

captainmorgan07
03-25-2006, 04:23 PM
rocky debut for arroyo im sure it'll improve give him start or two

Dunner44
03-25-2006, 04:49 PM
Beantown boy stays honest to his billing as a neutral pitcher w/ 6 flyouts and 6 groundouts... 1 to 1 ratio

KronoRed
03-25-2006, 04:51 PM
Looks like preview of the opening day lineup.. just for the fsn tv game.
Just noticed that, guess we're going back to burying Dunn in the 5th spot this year :(

marcshoe
03-25-2006, 06:56 PM
At least Arroyo's interesting. Not a great start, but I'd rather have him in the rotation than most of the guys the Reds have run out there the last couple of years. It'd be good to see him settle down a bit next start.

I can see him being an able starter through the year, and if so, the Reds could only be one pitcher away from having a winning record.

Something to build on, at least. I'm still holding out hope for another trade for an SP.

traderumor
03-25-2006, 07:30 PM
I can't imagine EE batting cleanup in games that count. As for the OD lineup, Zambrano is a righty, means Hatteberg will be at 1b, probably Aurilia at 2b

guttle11
03-25-2006, 07:33 PM
I can't imagine EE batting cleanup in games that count. As for the OD lineup, Zambrano is a righty, means Hatteberg will be at 1b, probably Aurilia at 2b

Actually, putting him between Griffey and Dunn is smart. I'd just like to see Dunn and Griffey reversed.

Heath
03-25-2006, 08:43 PM

I can't believe I'm going to type this.

This is painful.

This sucks.

I'd rather have Aurilia at 2b (AAAAAARGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH) then Womack.

This is, of course, because Ryan Freel is way to valuable to start :bang:

KronoRed
03-25-2006, 08:56 PM
It's ok Heath..I agree

Womack makes Aurilia valuble.

Just think next year Narron will bring in and start someone who will make Womack valuble :runawaycr

Heath
03-25-2006, 08:58 PM
It's ok Heath..I agree

Womack makes Aurilia valuble.

Just think next year Narron will bring in and start someone who will make Womack valuble :runawaycr

Fernando Vina.

It's official...

dougdirt
03-25-2006, 09:00 PM
Someone should tell Narron that I am a free agent if he is looking for guys with no range who cant get on base.....I will sign for the league minimum.

reds44
03-25-2006, 09:06 PM
I can't imagine EE hitting cleanup on opening day. I would LOVE to see him hitting there, but I doubt it.

blumj
03-25-2006, 11:09 PM
And way down South ---
Representing the tying run at the plate - Wily Mo whiffs with 2 outs in the bottom of the 9th with a man on - Red Sox lose to the BJays 5-3.
That was Willie Harris who whiffed to end the Red Sox game. No blaming Wily Mo for that one.