PDA

View Full Version : Donations for GAC and family

TeamMorris
02-21-2006, 05:37 PM
As many of you have heard, a long time Redszone member and friend of many has lost his home in the past 24 hours due to a fire. All is lost! He and his family were left with nothing but the clothes on their back but the good news is that they are all safe!

Many people have shown interest in helping GAC and his family. If interested in sending a donation through paypal, check, money order or give a gift card please PM me. I will give you my paypal or snail mail address. I will be sure all gets to him!

Any little bit will help! I will not say who gave what but will include a card from RZ and any well wishes you may have for him and his family!

GAC...Best wishes to you and the family! You are in our thoughts!! Please don't fight us. You have always been there when others were in need...It's your turn now!!

RBA
02-22-2006, 11:50 AM
Any IRS/Finanial Advisors? What's the best way to donate without GAC having an impact on his income tax too much? I realize the loss of his house and other personnel effects is probably a big deduction right there and that may off set many cash denotations. Are Wal-Mart gift cards considered income? Are my questions valid? Sorry if they seem like they are inappropiate.

Also, I don't have too much in the way of Reds memorbilla, but I was thinking if people donated one thing from their collections like a baseball card or bobblehead doll, etc it might be a good way to get GAC's collection started again. I will donate my Tony Perez bobblehead doll. TM pm me with the info to send it. Thanks.

Redsland
02-22-2006, 11:54 AM
I don't have too much in the way of Reds memorbilla, but I was thinking if people donated one thing from their collections like a baseball card or bobblehead doll, etc it might be a good way to get GAC's collection started again.
He can have my Danny Graves bobblehead. :p:

Seriously, I think he'd get a kick out of it, given the sign we hoisted in '04. :beerme:

RedsBaron
02-22-2006, 11:59 AM
I don't believe that there will be any tax consequences unless someone gives GAC more than $11,000-in that event, the giver of the gift may owe federal gift tax.
That said, I would welcome the input of any CPAs or lawyers who specialize in tax work.

Chip R
02-22-2006, 12:03 PM
He can have my Danny Graves bobblehead. :p:

Seriously, I think he'd get a kick out of it, given the sign we hoisted in '04. :beerme:
Which, for the uninitiated was...

Redsland
02-22-2006, 12:11 PM
Had RBA already passed out by then?

;)

KittyDuran
02-22-2006, 12:14 PM
Any IRS/Finanial Advisors? What's the best way to donate without GAC having an impact on his income tax too much? I realize the loss of his house and other personnel effects is probably a big deduction right there and that may off set many cash denotations. Are Wal-Mart gift cards considered income? Are my questions valid? Sorry if they seem like they are inappropiate.

Also, I don't have too much in the way of Reds memorbilla, but I was thinking if people donated one thing from their collections like a baseball card or bobblehead doll, etc it might be a good way to get GAC's collection started again. I will donate my Tony Perez bobblehead doll. TM pm me with the info to send it. Thanks.That's a good idea for the memorbilla... I cannot really give too much money right now (car problems).

Heath
02-22-2006, 12:18 PM
I'm willing to donate some Reds stuff that I have. I have a few things I can give GAC.

On edit - I don't know GAC as well as you guys do - what was his favorite thing to collect.

RBA
02-22-2006, 12:19 PM
Had RBA already passed out by then?

;)

I was taking a nap. Thank you. ;)

Redsland
02-22-2006, 12:33 PM
I don't know GAC as well as you guys do - what was his favorite thing to collect.
Empty beer cans.

:D

TeamCasey
02-22-2006, 01:23 PM
Pizza stained boxers.

TeamMorris
02-22-2006, 03:02 PM
Great ideas!! I have already put some pictures together for him on a disk and am working on another project also (shhhhhhh:)). Many he can get back here on RZ but many he can't that I have sent him over the years because I never posted them. If I posted every picture I took we would really have space problems;)

I think he should have his PO box soon and I am sure he will be glad to give it to those who want it (or allow me to do so, he has enough to do) but I would really rather not give out his brothers address without asking his permission first. Anyone in touch with him via phone...could you ask? I don't have his cell number and not sure when he will be able to post again.

I know he would be thrilled with anything you guys can give him to start a new collection!!!

OldRightHander
02-22-2006, 07:01 PM
I don't believe that there will be any tax consequences unless someone gives GAC more than $11,000-in that event, the giver of the gift may owe federal gift tax.
That said, I would welcome the input of any CPAs or lawyers who specialize in tax work.

I'm not a CPA, so my expertise isn't in the area of taxes, but I think you're right on the $11K figure. I don't think gift cards and the like would present any problems there.

traderumor
02-22-2006, 07:13 PM
Yea, this is a gift.

TeamBoone
02-22-2006, 08:11 PM
If people had to claim gifts such as these, every one would have to claim all their Christmas gifts as income.

If someone honestly thinks this is a problem, I have a very good friend who is an IRS auditor. Let me know.

TeamMorris
02-23-2006, 10:17 AM
For those interested in an address to send GAC and family a care package, plese PM me:)

TeamMorris
02-27-2006, 12:32 PM
Thank you to all who have sent donations:)!

To those I have already received please watch for an important PM (well, I think it is important anyway):). To those who's donation may still be in the mail or yet to be sent through paypal, I will also PM you as soon as I receive it.

TeamMorris
02-27-2006, 02:31 PM
BTW...SHHHHHHHHHHHHH:nono: ;)

Edskin
02-27-2006, 02:57 PM
I contacted the Reds about this situation and they quickly responded, telling me that someone else at Redszone had already brought it to their attention and that they planned on putting something together for GAC and family.

Hopefully, whatever it is will at least brighten his day :)

TeamBoone
02-27-2006, 04:20 PM
I contacted the Reds about this situation and they quickly responded, telling me that someone else at Redszone had already brought it to their attention and that they planned on putting something together for GAC and family.

Hey, that's great. Hadn't heard anything about it.

Redsland
02-27-2006, 04:25 PM
Yeah, that's good to hear. I'd planned to contact them about maybe having him throw out the first pitch one night, but if they're already in the loop, perhaps I'll let them figure out the right move.

RedsBaron
02-27-2006, 04:44 PM

A package is being mailed to GAC by the Reds today. I wasn't advised as to what it will include-maybe the Reds are sending GAC Adam Dunn's missing chair.;)

TeamMorris
02-27-2006, 07:58 PM
Very cool!!

remdog
02-27-2006, 11:42 PM

WOW! I'm impressed! Both by the Reds and whoever contacted them from Redszone!

Does anyone say 'Cool Beans!' anymore?

Rem

SirFelixCat
02-28-2006, 02:41 AM

Thanks just awesome. Good for the Reds and the 'zone...we gots us some good peoples round these parts:beerme:

RedsBaron
02-28-2006, 07:04 AM
I should publicly thank Team Clark. I sent a PM to him inquiring as to who to contact on the Reds, and he promptly gave me a name. I then contacted the "name" and that person then referred my inquiry to the community relations department. After a couple of e-mails, yesterday the community relations department of the Reds advised me that a "package" was being sent to GAC.
Team Clark was very helpful and deserves credit.:clap:

creek14
02-28-2006, 09:13 AM
Does anyone say 'Cool Beans!' anymore?

Rem
No. :p:

RFS62
03-01-2006, 06:50 PM
I should publicly thank Team Clark. I sent a PM to him inquiring as to who to contact on the Reds, and he promptly gave me a name. I then contacted the "name" and that person then referred my inquiry to the community relations department. After a couple of e-mails, yesterday the community relations department of the Reds advised me that a "package" was being sent to GAC.
Team Clark was very helpful and deserves credit.:clap:

Well, Greg called me this afternoon and he got his care package from the Reds.

Holy crap, what a haul!!! Autographed baseballs and pictures, hats, souvineers.... He sounded like a kid on Christmas.

Apparently the Reds really did a lot, and he was really touched.

He's moving into a house in the next couple of days, they're delivering furniture and getting it ready now. He asked me to tell everyone how moved he is by all the attention and prayers and well wishes. He'll be back online in a few days and will fill us in.

Great job, RedsBaron and Team Clark. The Reds really came through for him.

:beerme:

GAC
03-01-2006, 07:48 PM

Man! Did It ever brighten my day! Wow! We were up working on the farm house that we found, and they delievered the package. I asked the courier who it is from, and said the Cincinnati Reds. I grabbed the package out of her hand, and ran into the house like a little kid. I could not believe the contents. I got a ball, autographed by all the players, from the last game at Cingery.... another ball autographed by man former Red greats. But get this!.... the letter says he ball were "donated" from John Allen's personal artifacts. :lol:

The balls came with letters of certification. The box was packed full of stuff...

8x10 glossies, autographed by Ears and Griffey
several bobblehead dolls
a Reds pewter set, sent by Carl Lindner
a 3D pic of GAB
a Reds matchbox car

I got numerous other items too; but at this present time (since I am now back at the hotel) I can't recall them all.

All I can say is...God bless you all! I am at a loss for words.

The last 2 days we have been hard at work getting this house ready. Our neighbors provided it. I can't praise them enough either. They have been wonderful, and such great friends. Its a farm house about 8 miles north of our original home, but in the kid's school district. I already got them set up for the new bus schedule on Monday. ;)

RB and rfs have my new mailing address. I don't get cable and HS internet set up til next Tuesday, so if anyone wants my address, then I told them to give it out to them until I get set up.

I know I may sound redundant, but I cannot praise each and every one of you enough. Your thoughts, prayers, and assistance has been invaluable to my family. I have had the opportunity to talk to some of you over the phone since this occurred. And just being able to talk to friends has been very therapeutic for me. You just don't know how much that means to me.

I'm coming down for Opening Day (my first in over 40 yrs as a Reds fan). And nothing in this world can keep me from the Redszone gathering this year. To me...they are just as important, and hold as much value in my heart, as any family get-together I attend. And I'm buying the first round!

Again.... God bless each and everyone of you. I just hope that someday, the opportunity to somehow repay you all, presents itself. Yes, I know that it is not necessary. But that is what true friendship is al about. And to me, you are much more.

Thank you

GAC (and family)

GAC
03-01-2006, 07:50 PM
A package is being mailed to GAC by the Reds today. I wasn't advised as to what it will include-maybe the Reds are sending GAC Adam Dunn's missing chair.;)

The insurance company is completely furnishing the house.... what would I want with a used chair? ;)

GAC
03-01-2006, 07:54 PM
Yeah, that's good to hear. I'd planned to contact them about maybe having him throw out the first pitch one night

The letter I got from the Reds did mention that... and I responded I couldn't fo any worse then Milton on one pitch. In fact, I'd be smarter... bean balls are not the same as hrs. ;)

redsfan30
03-01-2006, 08:31 PM
GAC,

As I mentioned in the other thread, I'd be happy to burn old game tapes to DVD's for you. I've got Opening Day from 2001-2005, Griffey's 500th, Adam Dunn's first game after his callup in 2001, the last game at Riverfront Stadium and many many others.

If you are interested in maybe building up a collection of old games, don't hesitate to say so.

TeamMorris
03-01-2006, 09:19 PM
Well, Greg called me this afternoon and he got his care package from the Reds.

Holy crap, what a haul!!! Autographed baseballs and pictures, hats, souvineers.... He sounded like a kid on Christmas.

Apparently the Reds really did a lot, and he was really touched.

He's moving into a house in the next couple of days, they're delivering furniture and getting it ready now. He asked me to tell everyone how moved he is by all the attention and prayers and well wishes. He'll be back online in a few days and will fill us in.

Great job, RedsBaron and Team Clark. The Reds really came through for him.

:beerme:

:KoolAid: :clap: :party:

TeamBoone
03-01-2006, 11:38 PM

I have a very good friend who is a tax auditor for the IRS. I asked your question.

Her response is short but answers the question: "The limit for cash gifts before any gift tax kicks in is $11,000 so your friend is okay. He may be able to claim a casualty loss on 2006 taxes if his insurance doesn't cover all of his loss."

TeamMorris
03-02-2006, 12:31 PM
Great news on the Reds package GAC!!! What bobbleheads did you get? I have a reason for asking;)

KittyDuran
03-02-2006, 02:51 PM
Well, I contacted the Browns organization (general email) and will be sending a letter (w/photo) for a donation consideration. It's a 4 week process and hopefully the Browns will come through like the Reds. :)

SirFelixCat
03-04-2006, 05:40 AM
Man! Did It ever brighten my day! Wow! We were up working on the farm house that we found, and they delievered the package. I asked the courier who it is from, and said the Cincinnati Reds. I grabbed the package out of her hand, and ran into the house like a little kid. I could not believe the contents. I got a ball, autographed by all the players, from the last game at Cingery.... another ball autographed by man former Red greats. But get this!.... the letter says he ball were "donated" from John Allen's personal artifacts. :lol:

The balls came with letters of certification. The box was packed full of stuff...

several bobblehead dolls
a 3D pic of GAB
a Reds matchbox car

I got numerous other items too; but at this present time (since I am now back at the hotel) I can't recall them all.

The last 2 days we have been hard at work getting this house ready. Our neighbors provided it. I can't praise them enough either. They have been wonderful, and such great friends. Its a farm house about 8 miles north of our original home, but in the kid's school district. I already got them set up for the new bus schedule on Monday. ;)

RB and rfs have my new mailing address. I don't get cable and HS internet set up til next Tuesday, so if anyone wants my address, then I told them to give it out to them until I get set up.

I know I may sound redundant, but I cannot praise each and every one of you enough. Your thoughts, prayers, and assistance has been invaluable to my family. I have had the opportunity to talk to some of you over the phone since this occurred. And just being able to talk to friends has been very therapeutic for me. You just don't know how much that means to me.

I'm coming down for Opening Day (my first in over 40 yrs as a Reds fan). And nothing in this world can keep me from the Redszone gathering this year. To me...they are just as important, and hold as much value in my heart, as any family get-together I attend. And I'm buying the first round!

Again.... God bless each and everyone of you. I just hope that someday, the opportunity to somehow repay you all, presents itself. Yes, I know that it is not necessary. But that is what true friendship is al about. And to me, you are much more.

Thank you

GAC (and family)

That is just awesome. Good something good could come of this. BTW, GAC, you have something small coming from the Mrs. and I to your "old" address. Will that be a problem?

RedsBaron
03-04-2006, 10:17 AM

several bobblehead dolls
a 3D pic of GAB
a Reds matchbox car

Thank you

GAC (and family)
Great to hear. The Reds exceeded my expectations. Wonderful.:clap: :clap: :clap:

TeamMorris
03-04-2006, 07:26 PM
To all that donated...thanks a ton:thumbup: !!

For those that donated cash, I hope to get a check out to GAC by the 8th or 9th. I had to wait (and still am) for out of state checks to clear. If you planned to send a donation and haven't been able to yet, that is fine!! I will be sure he gets all that is coming to him! I will continue to keep a close eye on my mailbox:)

GAC
03-07-2006, 08:51 PM
http://www.ropeofsilicon.com/Images/people/j/jerrystiller.jpg

I'M BACK BABY!

We've been on withdrawal for the last week or so with no TV or internet access. It was harder on the kids. They got a "taste" of what it was like when I was a kid, and all you had was a set of rabbit ears on the TV, and all you could get was 4 fuzzy channels and no Cartoon Network. ;)

Life is returning somewhat to normalcy for us. My family cannot thank all those that have reached out to us during this difficult time enough. It has been deeply appreciated. I've been able to talk ove the phone with a few of the "clique", like RedsBaron, rfs, creek, and Chip. They have been invaluable.

rfs said I have a nice little scam going. ;)

This farm house is really pretty nice. It's about 5 minutes north of Bellefontaine and in the kid's school district. It's about a mile from the little village of Rushylvania.

Our insurance has really been there for us. We got the content portion all done and filed.... have the estimate approved for the site cleanup (should happen in the next week or so), and are getting rebuilding estimates this week. So we have the ball rolling basically.

To those that already have my previous email address, it is still good. I can get on their website and check it. But we have Time Warner cable w/ road runner here at this house, and I will email my new address to as many as possible (that I can remember); but if anyone wants it, then please PM me.

I hope to see some of you on Opening Day (tahnks to Chip) ;)

The upcoming baseball season has really kept me going right now.

Thanks again all.

Greg

GAC
03-07-2006, 08:54 PM
Great news on the Reds package GAC!!! What bobbleheads did you get? I have a reason for asking;)

I got a KGJ and Sean Casey.

creek14
03-08-2006, 02:04 PM
I got a KGJ and Sean Casey.
Send me the new address and I'll send my dear sweet little Adam.

Oops I just checked my PM's and see that you already sent it to me. I'll try to wrap up Adam and send him on his way this weekend.

Chip R
03-08-2006, 02:18 PM

Oops I just checked my PM's and see that you already sent it to me. I'll try to wrap up Adam and send him on his way this weekend.

That's going to be a lot of postage.

Heath
03-08-2006, 04:59 PM
That's going to be a lot of postage.

I hope she sends him Priority. Media Mail's bound to get lost.

GAC
03-08-2006, 07:24 PM
I hope she sends him Priority. Media Mail's bound to get lost.

Got your package today Heath. I really don't know what to say. There is some fantastic stuff there. I hope these were all duplicates.... especially the Reds glasses, and the Morgan and Perez bobblehead dolls. WoW! I don't know which book to read first - "Cincinnati and the BRM", or "When All The World Was Browns Town" (this one is must reading ;) ).

I can't express my thanks enough.

I've got one room in this house that is fast becoming a Red's shrine.

Thanks again Heath.

GAC
03-08-2006, 07:29 PM

I still have my Dunn #44 hat. I went back into the house and found the Dunn T-shirt, and the old-time baseball T-shirt that Chip had gotten me, in the dresser that was still standing (that poor T-shirt sure has been through alot hasn't it?). I asked my wife to wash them as many times as it would take to get the smoke smell out of them; but it's a no go. I still wanted to wear them, but she won't let me. ;)

So when I come down this year, a new #44 T-shirt is on the agenda. Some things have to take precedence in this life. :lol:

TeamBoone
03-08-2006, 08:45 PM
Hey, GAC. Try some Febreeze on the shirt... and/or oxyclean. One or both may get the smoke out.

GAC
03-08-2006, 09:05 PM
Hey, GAC. Try some Febreeze on the shirt... and/or oxyclean. One or both may get the smoke out.

Thanks TB, but my wife tried oxyclean and numerous other products, and said it didn't work. I think there was a conspiracy afoot, and she was simply looking for an excuse to finally get rid of some of my T-shirts, which were getting pretty worn. :lol:

I had this hair brush that I have used since before we were married. I loved that brush, and you can't find that style anymore. My wife always hated it. She said afterwards - "Well, at least that #$$%@ hair brush is finally history!"

But when I was digging around in the ruins days later I found it in the charred mirror cabinet. Laughingly I took it and showed it to my wife - "Honey! Look what found. It's a miracle!"

She made me finally put it to rest. :lol:

creek14
03-08-2006, 11:19 PM
Restoring appearance and removing smoke odor from clothing

Soiled clothing is cleaned by a variety of laundry methods; neither can all fire damaged clothing could be cleaned equally as well by the same method. Sort fire damaged clothing as you would sort any soiled clothing by the recommended care method (found on the permanent care label), color and degree of soil.

Some clothing may require dry cleaning because of fiber content, dyes used in the fabric or incompatibility of fabrics such as linings and face fabrics. In some cases, these articles may be subjected to a careful wetcleaning process, even though they are labeled dry clean only. This can be done only with professional expertise when it is felt that the garment will not be wearable unless another process is used.

Sort washable clothing by color (light/medium/dark) and soil (light/moderate/heavy). The majority of clothing items will probably be cottons, polyesters, and polyester/cotton blends. These can be most effectively renewed by using a warm water wash with either a non-built liquid detergent (EraTM) or a low phosphate powder detergent and a liquid chlorine bleach (AllTM and CloroxTM). This recommendation is based on the research findings of Cloud, Bondurant and Keith at Louisiana State University in their study of removing smoke damage from apparel fabrics.

The tests were carried out under laboratory conditions and were evaluated after an equivalent of five home launderings. Therefore, it may not be possible to reach the desired state of color restoration or whiteness after one or two washings. But visibly smoke damaged clothing should be restored after five launderings.

Heath
03-09-2006, 02:36 PM
Got your package today Heath. I really don't know what to say. There is some fantastic stuff there. I hope these were all duplicates.... especially the Reds glasses, and the Morgan and Perez bobblehead dolls. WoW! I don't know which book to read first - "Cincinnati and the BRM", or "When All The World Was Browns Town" (this one is must reading ;) ).

I can't express my thanks enough.

I've got one room in this house that is fast becoming a Red's shrine.

Thanks again Heath.

Its not replacing what you had, but hopefully can add something to your collection. Glad to hear you got it and everything hopefully in one piece.

Enjoy.

GAC
03-20-2006, 08:27 PM
Okay. I just got the package today that was put together by TeamMorris, which included a check for the donations many of you made to my family, along with various Red's memoribilia. My family cannot thank you all enough. It will be put to good use. My wife just started back to work on Monday, after taking a 30 day leave to help take care of the family and various dealings.

We are pretty much settled in our temporary housing, and our routines are as much back to normal as can be. Right now we are all fighting the flu (I love these farm houses :lol: ).

My wife and I have pretty much got the ball rolling on the rebuilding process. We have pretty much done all that we can do, as far as sending in estimates for the rebuild to insurance and filing our content claim. We are now in the waiting process. We hope to get the site cleanup (which has been approved) rolling in the next couple of weeks.

We are looking to put a Unibilt home on there. We have been pretty diligent looking at all our options, and there is one model that we really like, and the company out of Wapakoneta that builds them comes highly recommended. We've talked with their reps numerous times in the last couple of weeks. The homes are built in Vandalia, Ohio, and if we can place our order by the end of April then we could possibly be in it by August.

I again want to sincerely express my deep thanks and appreciation to all that have reached out to my family during this time. You are all a very special group of friends and extraordinary individuals. May God bless.

Greg