PDA

View Full Version : Would someone be able to tell me who this old Reds player is??

djnjas
03-27-2006, 05:12 PM
I have a question regarding who this old Reds player is. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c38/djrulz/redplayer.jpg

westofyou
03-27-2006, 05:18 PM
I'm guessing that's Bill Bonham

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/players/pics/bill_bonham_autograph.jpg

Heath
03-27-2006, 06:25 PM
Hey woy - not to undermine you but I think it's Ross Grimsley....sans afro....

Ross is between Pete Rose (left) & Don Gullett (right)

http://reds.enquirer.com/img/photos/1999/02/rose_600x493.jpg

djnjas
03-27-2006, 06:26 PM
Thanks for your help.

westofyou
03-27-2006, 06:27 PM
Heath I think you are right.

http://www.theseventhgame.com/playerimages/grimsley_ross.jpg

http://espn.go.com/i/page2/photos/040414grimsley.jpg

alex trevino
03-27-2006, 08:40 PM
I always liked Ross Grimsley...Then again I liked Roger Nelson as well.

KittyDuran
03-27-2006, 08:46 PM
Hey woy - not to undermine you but I think it's Ross Grimsley....sans afro....

Ross is between Pete Rose (left) & Don Gullett (right)

http://reds.enquirer.com/img/photos/1999/02/rose_600x493.jpgRoss and Gully...:luvu:

buckshotrod
03-27-2006, 08:47 PM
Looks like Grimsley!

Hap
03-27-2006, 08:50 PM
I have seen that picture before. It is in some of the old yearbooks and media guides, which I happen to collect. It is indeed Mr. Grimsley.

Jr's Boy
03-28-2006, 01:58 AM
Charlie Hustle AKA Maynard G Krebbs.:D

dougflynn23
03-28-2006, 04:21 AM
:) Not that we choose to remember the bad trades that Bob Howsam made in the 1970's since there were so many great ones, but this was a clunker. Grimsley was the Reds #3 starter from 1971-1973 and was traded for Merv Rettenmund after the 1973 season. Grimsley was a flake, and he and Sparky never got along at all. A former BRM player once told me that Grimsley would shake off Johnny Bench about 25% of the time, which was an unpardonable sin with Sparky. The Reds in 1973 had 4 very good LH pitchers in Gullett, Grimsley, Fred Norman and Tom Hall, and had they beaten the Mets in the playoffs like they should have would have beaten the A's in a rematch of the 1972 WS.

redsmetz
03-28-2006, 08:58 AM
:) Not that we choose to remember the bad trades that Bob Howsam made in the 1970's since there were so many great ones, but this was a clunker. Grimsley was the Reds #3 starter from 1971-1973 and was traded for Merv Rettenmund after the 1973 season. Grimsley was a flake, and he and Sparky never got along at all. A former BRM player once told me that Grimsley would shake off Johnny Bench about 25% of the time, which was an unpardonable sin with Sparky. The Reds in 1973 had 4 very good LH pitchers in Gullett, Grimsley, Fred Norman and Tom Hall, and had they beaten the Mets in the playoffs like they should have would have beaten the A's in a rematch of the 1972 WS.

The year after we traded Grimsley, he won 18 games for Eastern Div winning Baltimore Orioles. In 1978, he won 20 games for the Expos, still the single season record for that franchise. He won 37 games for the Reds over three seasons and finished with 124 wins, having won 10 or more in eight different seasons. Merv made a good coach for several teams, but he wasn't that good for the Reds. Another steal for the O's, no?

redsmetz
03-28-2006, 09:14 AM
Funny thing I found on another web site about the Grimsley card with the Indians. Here's what it allegedly says on the back:

“In 1979, League officials were notified when Ross Grimsley made a formal request to the public address announcer to be introduced as “the White Oscar Gamble”. His request was denied.”

westofyou
03-28-2006, 09:33 AM
IIRC Grimsley angered the Reds brass by also having an agent represent him, that sort of thing drove Howsam mad and caused him to trade more than one or two good players... all rather than accept that the business of the game was changing with regards to player relations.

It's funny how one man could have such enlightened vision regarding one aspect of the game and be so blind regarding another.

redsmetz
03-28-2006, 10:00 AM
IIRC Grimsley angered the Reds brass by also having an agent represent him, that sort of thing drove Howsam mad and caused him to trade more than one or two good players... all rather than accept that the business of the game was changing with regards to player relations.

It's funny how one man could have such enlightened vision regarding one aspect of the game and be so blind regarding another.

Yes, I don't think the Reds signed their first free agent until about 1977 and I'm can't even remember who it was (I thought it was Bob Bailey, but we traded for him from Montreal). Dave Parker was our first significant Free Agent signing, as I recall, and that was 1983 (looking at Parker's career info, I had forgotten that we traded him to Oakland for Jose Rijo and Tim Birtsas). And we traded away Pete Rose because of pending free agency, again as I recall.

westofyou
03-28-2006, 10:16 AM
I don't think the Reds signed their first free agent until about 1977 and I'm can't even remember who it was (I thought it was Bob Bailey, but we traded for him from Montreal).

Larry Biittner, was the 1st. Also of note that during the 1st FA Draft everytime the Reds chance came up they stood up and made a statement about why they were passing, basically they said that they disagggreed with the FA draft and would not be picking anyone.

Reverend Doo-Rag
03-28-2006, 10:18 AM
Wasn't the Reds' first free agent Larry Biitner?

Oops, you win the race!

redsmetz
03-28-2006, 10:34 AM
Wasn't the Reds' first free agent Larry Biitner?

Oops, you win the race!

yes, that was him. I believe Parker was the first significant, regular player. Sheesh, they were dinosauers on that one.

MartyFan
03-28-2006, 10:36 AM
Larry Bitner...I remember that...Chicago Cubs...Man I hated him...Hated when we got Rusty Staub and Dave Kingman too!

Tony Cloninger
03-28-2006, 02:45 PM
Howsman was like Paul Brown.

Great at org. skills and player development or drafting.

Held back by their belief that management was the plantation that players should be happy to have and not question.

Being a fan of both teams...it has driven me crazy the way these 2 built up and then tore down their teams for the same reasons.

BenHayes
03-28-2006, 06:31 PM
Man those were the good ole days. A starting rotation of gullett,billingham.grimsley.nolan and norman even if nolan had a bum arm.It would sure come in handy in 2006.

dougflynn23
03-28-2006, 08:51 PM
:) Larry Biittner was the first free agent signed by the Reds, but after the 1978 season they did make a very strong effort to sign both Tommy John and Lee Lacy as free agents. They were outbid on John who signed with the Yankees, but were in the hunt on Lacy right up to the end. The Reds promised Lacy a shot at the starting job at 3B (replacing Pete), but Lacy took less money to sign with Pittsburgh where he thought he had a better chance to play. As it turned out, he was a platoon player in Pittsburgh.

westofyou
03-28-2006, 08:56 PM
As it turned out, he was a platoon player in Pittsburgh.But he got a ring that year.

alex trevino
03-30-2006, 06:33 PM
And we traded away Pete Rose because of pending free agency, again as I recall.

Nope, Rose left as a free Agent signing with the Phils.