PDA

View Full Version : Bengals free agent thread

max venable
03-27-2006, 05:49 PM
Here's some news...

Evidence is mounting the Bengals have more than a passing interest in Joey Harrington. Plus, the agent for defensive tackles Sam Adams and Grady Jackson said the Bengals would like to get one of them...

The Detroit News reported there are indications the Bengals have expressed an interest to the Lions and that means a possible trade.

The Bengals are also talking to the agents for the Rams’ Jamie Martin and the Ravens’ Anthony Wright. After opening negotiations Friday, Tom Mills, Martin’s agent, said he didn’t think a deal would be done before Thursday when the Bengals contingent is expected to return to Cincinnati from the meetings.
from bengals.com.

I'd be thrilled to get Harrington as a back up. And how awesome would it be to sign Sam Adams AND LaVar Arrington? I know we won't get all those guys, but a guy can dream...

max venable
03-28-2006, 03:23 PM
Another update:

(Marvin Lewis) did acknowledge the Bengals have interest in Pro Bowl linebacker LaVar Arrington, that he’s mulling a move to a 3-4 base defense, and that the club plans to add a defensive tackle in the draft or “later on.”

It’s a longshot that Arrington is going to show up and play with that reported price tag of $18 million guaranteed, but Lewis denied that he’s the only guy who wants him at Paul Brown Stadium. Still, the talks won't get going until the number drops. Although Arrington has been described, at times, as difficult, he had his best year under Lewis with 11 sacks in 2002 for the Redskins.

“I think so,” Lewis said when asked if Arrington would be a fit. “We’ve talked about it. He likes to be in the eye of the storm. He likes that. He relishes that. I love that. In my opinion, he’s a great talent.”

The signing of Arrington wouldn’t mean the Bengals would switch to a 3-4, but Lewis admitted again that he hasn’t decided if the Bengals are going to switch out of their base 4-3 in an effort to revive the league’s 28th-ranked unit.

Link (http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=5165)

BigRed
03-28-2006, 10:12 PM
I'm biased being a Kentucky guy, but why not give Tim Couch a shot if he's healthy. Would be much cheaper than Harrington and would make some extra money for the franchise at camp in Georgetown.

I like Arrington, but don't think that he will be here because of the price tag. I think that they will sign Adams or Jackson.

DropDocK
03-29-2006, 07:47 AM
Harrington? I dunno about that one. Maybe he could learn a thing or two as Palmers back-up but I'd still be skeptical of signing him.

Adams would be a great addition, but I don't see Arrington coming here.

WVRed
03-29-2006, 07:48 AM
I'm biased being a Kentucky guy, but why not give Tim Couch a shot if he's healthy. Would be much cheaper than Harrington and would make some extra money for the franchise at camp in Georgetown.

I like Arrington, but don't think that he will be here because of the price tag. I think that they will sign Adams or Jackson.

Couch is coming off major reconstructive surgery, and the Bengals need someone to start in case Palmer doesnt progress.

Harrington did throw for over 3000 yards year before last with 19 TD's and 12 INT's. Couch threw for the same in his best year with 17 TD's and 21 INT's.

I'm a Kentucky guy too, but I don't think Couch will ever see the NFL again. If he couldnt make it with the Packers, best hope he has is in Europe.

max venable
03-29-2006, 09:27 AM
From The Enquirer (http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060329/SPT02/603290349/1066):

Joey Harrington remains under contract with Detroit, but Lions management has given him permission to seek a trade, and the quarterback will visit Cincinnati today.

Harrington was expected to make a quick visit Tuesday night to Miami.

The Bengals are searching for a quarterback who could start in case Carson Palmer's surgically repaired left knee prevents him from opening the season.

Palmer and Harrington both are represented by agent David Dunn, who has a productive relationship with the Bengals and coach Marvin Lewis. The Bengals would have to trade for Harrington, and the Lions, wanting to dump his contract, probably would accept a sixth-round pick. Harrington then would rework his contract with his new team.

Kansas City and Seattle also are interested in possibly trading for Harrington, who has started 55 of his 58 NFL games. He has 60 touchdowns and 62 interceptions and has thrown for more than 10,000 yards.

He started 11 of 12 games last season for the Lions, throwing for 12 touchdowns and 12 interceptions and more than 2,000 yards. Harrington became embroiled in a quarterback controversy in Detroit with Jeff Garcia.

Lewis said Tuesday the Bengals might not add another quarterback until May. The team has been focused on former Rams backup Jamie Martin and Anthony Wright, formerly of the Ravens.

traderumor
03-29-2006, 09:30 AM

I like Arrington, but don't think that he will be here because of the price tag. I think that they will sign Adams or Jackson.Couch got his chance. He was brought in late last season for a tryout and went away without a contract.

CTA513
03-29-2006, 03:45 PM
This is from Bengals.com

Bengals re-sign Navies

The Bengals have signed LB Hannibal Navies, one of the team’s unrestricted free agents, to a one-year contract.

Navies (6-3, 245; Colorado) is an eighth-year NFL player in 2006. He joined the Bengals as a free agent late in the 2005 preseason and played in every game after being inactive for the season opener. He ranked second on the special teams in total snaps (266) and ranked fifth in special teams tackles (13).

Navies is the fifth veteran free agent signed by Cincinnati since the league year opened on March 3. Previously signed from other teams were unrestricted free agent S Dexter Jackson of Tampa Bay and free agent WR-KR Antonio Chatman, last with Green Bay. Previously signed from among Bengals unrestricted free agents were CB Rashad Bauman and S Anthony Mitchell.

max venable
03-30-2006, 09:02 AM
Today's Enquirer:

Joey Harrington was in Cincinnati on Wednesday, and the Bengals have moved to the front of the line to acquire the Detroit Lions quarterback.

Harrington could be Bengals property if they agree to trade a second-day draft pick (Rounds 4-7). Harrington's salary demand is believed to be $3 million for a one-year contract.

Link: http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060330/SPT02/603300371/1066

max venable
03-30-2006, 03:39 PM
News from Bengals.com's Geoff Hobson:

The Sam (Adams) talks aren’t dead. In fact, they’ve picked up some, but who knows? As long as LaVar carries around that big number, Willy Mo Pena's five tools have a better shot at being in Marvin Lewis' garage Opening Day....

C’mon. You guys know the answer. Marvin is going to draft and develop the kids. The big money is going to the offensive line. If they can get Sam at “their price,” they will, but they’re also looking in the draft. The question is going to be if Florida State’s Brodrick Bunkley is available at No. 24 and if guys like Gabe Watson are worthy of being a late first-rounder.

The best way to counter The Carson Factor isn’t spending a lot of time and money on a backup quarterback, but getting your defense better in a hurry. They’ve decided not to deviate from their philosophy in order to stack the defense.

...They refuse to overpay in a free agent market where they perceive the majority are pretty similar or inferior to what they already have. Could that cost them one or two non-Carson games that keep them from the playoffs?

This is the very difficult line the Bengals and all other teams have to walk. Balancing fiscal responsibility with the short windows teams have available for Super Bowl runs.

But that is Marvin’s point in all this free agency stuff. Spend young and smart, develop kids like Shaun Smith, and that window is going to be there most seasons, instead of shutting down in cap hell like the 49ers, Titans, and Jets.

max venable
03-30-2006, 08:55 PM
Woo-hoo! Looks like Sam Adams will be wearing stripes soon!

Link: http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=5171

CTA513
03-31-2006, 03:40 PM
Update from Bengals.com

Herring released
By GEOFF HOBSON
March 31, 2006

Posted: 3:25 p.m

In a move that had been expected since the Dexter Jackson signing nearly three weeks ago, the Bengals terminated the contract of safety Kim Herring on Friday to end his injury-plagued run in Cincinnati. Herring, who signed a five-year deal before the 2004 season, played in just 12 games with 10 starts.

Herring, who turns 31 the week of the opener, has missed two of the last three seasons because of injury. He missed all of last year after hurting his shoulder in the Aug. 26 preseason game in Philadelphia.

The release of Herring, scheduled to make $1.1 million this year, figures to save the Bengals close to $1 million under the salary cap.

Jackson, a Tampa Bay import, figures to start at strong safety with Madieu Williams coming off a season-ending shoulder injury of his own getting the snaps at free safety.

Kevin Kaesviharn and special teams guru Anthony Mitchell look to be Nos. 3 and 4 at safety now. Herana-Daze Jones and Tony Bua, picked off waivers from Miami last year, head into their second NFL seasons after stints on the practice squad. Cornerback Keiwan Ratliff can also play safety and the Bengals will probably draft one.

Ifeanyi Ohalete, who started opposite Kaesviharn last year when injuries hit the starters, is a free agent and doesn’t look to be back.

http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=5173

max venable
03-31-2006, 03:42 PM
Jackson and Williams replacing Herring and Kaesviharn is a huge upgrade, IMO.

I expect the defense to improve dramatically this year.

should be fun!

CTA513
03-31-2006, 03:55 PM
Jackson and Williams replacing Herring and Kaesviharn is a huge upgrade, IMO.

I expect the defense to improve dramatically this year.

should be fun!

"Ifeanyi Ohalete, who started opposite Kaesviharn last year when injuries hit the starters, is a free agent and doesn’t look to be back. "

Thats my favorite part of the article. :thumbup:

max venable
04-01-2006, 08:44 AM
Today's Bengals' Free Agent update:

LaVar Arrington (From the Palm Beach Post):

Linebacker LaVar Arrington, perhaps the most notable, has yet to sign with any of the four teams that remain interested in him. He likely will end up with the Dolphins, Giants, Jaguars or Bengals, agent Carl Poston said.

Joey Harrington (From the Miami Herald):

Harrington's agent has been told by the Bengals and Dolphins that a contract offer is forthcoming, according to a source close to Harrington. That is important because the player must agree to restructure the remaining two years of his current contract for the Lions to be able to trade him.

Would LOVE to get Arrington. I just don't see it happening. As for our backup QB...my first choice out of all the guys who've been mentioned (Wright, Maddox, Martin, etc.), would be Harrington. I hope it happens but I don't feel real confident about that either.

max venable
04-02-2006, 09:11 AM
The Miami Herald is reporting that Harrington is close to a deal with the Dolphins.

A source close to Harrington said the Lions quarterback preferred the Dolphins' two-year offer over a one-year deal from Cincinnati and interest from Denver. The terms of the Dolphins' deal were not available, although Harrington is expected to earn approximately $2 million in 2006 from either the Dolphins or Bengals...

...''It could change because you know how [Bengals owner] Mike Brown is about quarterbacks when he likes one,'' the source said. ``But I think it'll get down with Miami in the next day or two. [Harrington] just seemed to be a little more comfortable with the whole situation in Miami.''...

...Harrington also thinks he could see more playing time with the Dolphins than with Cincinnati. Both Dolphins starter Daunte Culpepper and Bengals quarterback Carson Palmer are recovering from knee surgery after sustaining season-ending injuries in 2005. Harrington has better information on Palmer's situation because Dunn also represents Palmer.

''The feeling is that [Culpepper's] injury is more serious and Culpepper is new, so that could give Harrington more of a chance to play,'' the source said. ``He knows it's a backup situation, but he's looking for the best chance to get out there, do a good job and then hit the market a year from now if he can do that.''

Looks like we're going to get stuck with Anthony Wright as our backup QB :rolleyes:

Boss-Hog
04-02-2006, 11:45 AM
I have no idea why they're not interested in Kerry Collins for a one year rental. He has the arm to run our offense efficiently and it'd be a perfect situation for both parties.

WVRed
04-02-2006, 12:31 PM
I have no idea why they're not interested in Kerry Collins for a one year rental. He has the arm to run our offense efficiently and it'd be a perfect situation for both parties.

I think in the end, you'll see Kerry Collins end up in Baltimore if Steve McNair isnt cut.

StillFunkyB
04-02-2006, 12:36 PM

Kerry Collins = :barf:

DoogMinAmo
04-02-2006, 01:07 PM
Knowing how well he has picked apart the Bengals repeatedly while playing for the Browns, I am surprised there is not talk of going after Dilfer. If Baltimore could win a SB in spite of him, maybe the Bengals could quest for one with him as well.

Boss-Hog
04-02-2006, 02:08 PM
Kerry Collins = :barf:
:barf: applies to almost any backup QB in the league, particularly the ones still available.

traderumor
04-02-2006, 02:49 PM
Knowing how well he has picked apart the Bengals repeatedly while playing for the Browns, I am surprised there is not talk of going after Dilfer. If Baltimore could win a SB in spite of him, maybe the Bengals could quest for one with him as well.
When did that happen?

DoogMinAmo
04-02-2006, 06:11 PM
When did that happen?

Sorry, meant Kelly Holcomb.

traderumor
04-02-2006, 06:16 PM
Sorry, meant Kelly Holcomb.Yea, I wish Holcomb was available. He would be a good option in case Palmer couldn't go. But the backup market is bad, heck many teams don't even have a competent starter, so when you're talking backups its really slim pickings.

Matt700wlw
04-03-2006, 02:50 PM
Adams is officially in the fold.

http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=5177

:KoolAid:

Dom Heffner
04-03-2006, 03:44 PM
Is there any hope of signing Arrington or did he go somewhere else?

Matt700wlw
04-03-2006, 03:46 PM
He's still out there

max venable
04-04-2006, 09:24 AM
From the Sun-Sentinal today:

A source said Monday that the Dolphins are working on a deal to acquire Lions quarterback Joey Harrington.

The source also said that the Dolphins were willing to give Harrington a two-year contract, but the Lions were holding out for a higher draft pick.

Detroit is reportedly looking for at least a sixth-round pick, but the Dolphins already have traded away their fifth- and sixth-round picks.

The source added that the Bengals were still in the picture, but that the Dolphins were the front-runners because Harrington felt that he would get more of an opportunity to display his skills while Daunte Culpepper recovers from season-ending knee surgery.

"Joey would be happy with both, but right now it's up to the Lions and when [GM] Matt Millen wants to pull the trigger," the source said.

Harrington's agent David Dunn said that his client was impressed by both the Dolphins and Bengals.

"He liked both situations," Dunn told ESPN.com. "He liked the organizations and the coaches and, in a lot of ways, there are similarities, with both the [starting quarterbacks] coming off injuries. Nothing has been decided yet, but I don't think it will be a whole lot longer."

So, it looks like Harrington would rather sign with Miami--I think the biggest advantage they have over the Bengals is the weather...but that hasn't been mentioned. BUT...Miami has nothing left to trade Detroit. The Bengals are on the outside looking in but the sixth round pick thing may bring us back into play if the Lions decide to play hardball.

Reds Fanatic
04-04-2006, 09:37 AM
This is from today's Enquirer:

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060404/SPT02/604040374/1078

The Bengals talked again Monday with the agent for Jamie Martin, and the former Rams' backup/part-time starter could be the fourth quarterback the Bengals take to training camp.

If a deal could be reached, Martin would join Craig Krenzel and Doug Johnson in the battle for two roster spots behind Carson Palmer.

With the Dolphins favored to engineer a trade with the Lions and sign Joey Harrington, the Bengals again are turning toward Martin.

"If Harrington is gone, we'll move forward with it," said Tom Mills, Martin's agent. "The contract would still need to be negotiated, and there are some material issues. Jamie would just as well not play as play for the minimum."

Palmer's rehab from reconstructive surgery to his left knee is going well, but questions remain whether he can be ready for the first month of the season.

The Bengals are in a tough spot. They have more than $30 million invested in Palmer this year alone, and they are trying to sign a fourth quarterback who possibly could be the opening-day starter.

On Monday, the first day of the team's offseason strength and conditioning program, Johnson and Krenzel both said their goal was to be the starter in September if Palmer is unable to play.

If the Bengals sign Martin, any two of the three besides Palmer could be on the 53-man roster to start the season.

Johnson, who arrived Sunday night, previously had spent three days in Cincinnati with quarterbacks coach Ken Zampese.

"Kind of got my feet wet a little," Johnson said. "I'm trying to settle in and be ready for training camp and be where we need to be."

Krenzel started five games as a rookie with the Bears in 2004.

"That's my goal," he said, when asked if he could be the first-game starter. "I want to be prepared and be good enough to do that."

Dom Heffner
04-04-2006, 12:10 PM
I think Martin is the better choice anyway.

E. Davis 44
04-04-2006, 01:18 PM
Sorry, meant Kelly Holcomb.

How could you have meant Holcomb, when you said that he lead Baltimore to a Super Bowl? I don't remember Holcomb doing that.

DoogMinAmo
04-04-2006, 01:48 PM
How could you have meant Holcomb, when you said that he lead Baltimore to a Super Bowl? I don't remember Holcomb doing that.

In my mind I combined two QBs. Holcomb picks apart the Bengals like a bad habit, and the Ravens won despite a bad QB. I bit off more than I could chew, should have gone on more than my memory.

WVRed
04-04-2006, 02:36 PM

Doesnt matter anyways, I think Dilfer has probably picked the Bengals apart sometime in his career.

max venable
04-06-2006, 02:30 PM
The Canton Rep is reporting (or at least implying that the Bengals seem to be interested in trading up to get AJ Hawk. I've not heard ANYTHING about this. Am I reading this right? Anybody else heard anything anywhere?

BEREA - Fast forward to the Browns’ home opener in September. The defensive starters run through the giant orange helmet, one by one.

There’s the new nose tackle, redwood stump Ted Washington, introduced between veteran ends Orpheus Roye and Alvin McKinley.

The frisky young safeties, Brodney Pool and Sean Jones, generate a buzz. Veteran Daylon McCutcheon and chirpy Gary Baxter are cornerbacks who inspire confidence.

New outside linebacker Willie McGinest draws a huge cheer. The other outside backer, Chaun Thompson, suddenly has a following. Captain Andra Davis, an inside linebacker, already had one.

Now the vision soars as the other inside linebacker is presented.

“From The Ohio State University, No. 47, A.J. Hawk.”

Last month’s free-agent pick-ups have Browns fans buzzing. Imagine what drafting Hawk on April 29 would do.

The vision has minor flaws.

Hawk grew up as a Bengals fan. Also, he can’t wear his Buckeye number any more; NFL linebackers are confined to the 50s and 90s.

The major flaw: The Browns would have to trade a ton to move up from their current No. 12 spot to get him.

However, doing so is plausible, given that inside linebacker is Cleveland’s most crying need, given everything Hawk represents, and given the likeliest trading partner.

More than a few analysts see the Packers taking Hawk at No. 5. Mel Kiper Jr. is saying so in front of ESPN cameras.

Only Cincinnati is as motivated to get Hawk as the Browns. The Bengals, though, couldn’t offer Green Bay what Cleveland can.

Center Jeff Faine would be an important piece of a deal. Indications are that the Packers are interested. Green Bay has more overall holes than Cleveland and therefore needs more new players.

The Browns are well stocked with draft picks.

Moving up to No. 5 probably might force the Browns to give Green Bay:

n Faine, a former first-round pick with two years left on his contract.

n Their No. 12 pick (Cincinnati’s Round 1 pick is No. 22).

n Their second-round pick, No. 43 overall.

n One of their two fourth-round picks.

We know this: Trading is a tool Phil Savage will readily use. He has pulled off, proposed and entertained as many deals as any general manager over the last year. LINK (http://www.cantonrep.com/index.php?Category=17&ID=278871&r=2)

Red Leader
04-06-2006, 03:10 PM
A former first round pick and a center, the #12 pick, an early 2nd round pick, AND a fourth round pick to move up 7 spots. Yeesh. Keep him.

I wonder why the Browns have trouble staying competitive?

CTA513
04-07-2006, 12:04 PM
I just saw this on Bengals.com... now they need to get deals done for Levi Jones, Eric Steinbach & Jeremi Johnson.

Notes: Williams agrees to extension

April 6, 2006
Posted: 10:35 a.m.

The Bengals have reached their first contract extension with a member of the offensive line with right guard Bobbie Williams agreeing to what is believed to be another three years. A source with Eastern Athletics Sports Services said Friday morning Williams has agreed to an extension that is expected to be signed next week.

http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=5184

traderumor
04-07-2006, 12:07 PM
I just saw this on Bengals.com... now they need to get deals done for Levi Jones, Eric Steinbach & Jeremi Johnson.Isn't Big Willie in need of one also?

CTA513
04-10-2006, 02:26 PM
Article from Bengals.com

Watson re-signs
By GEOFF HOBSON
April 10, 2006

2:15 p.m.
The Bengals backup quarterback search looks to be in neutral for now with Jamie Martin scheduled to visit Seattle and the Joey Harrington deal Xed out by the extension for right guard Bobbie Williams. The Bengals did announce Monday that they’ve reached a one-year deal for running back Kenny Watson.

max venable
04-11-2006, 09:00 AM
From the Miami Herald:

Agent Kevin Poston said Sunday the Dolphins remain a player in talks for three-time Pro Bowl linebacker LaVar Arrington.

However, Poston indicated the Dolphins have not come close to matching a proposal he has asked for and that teams such as Jacksonville, Cincinnati and the New York Giants remain in the running.

Reds Fanatic
04-14-2006, 03:08 PM
Bengals have resigned Jeremi Johnson to the biggest contract for a fullback.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2407674

Three-year veteran fullback Jeremi Johnson on Thursday completed a five-year, $7.528 million extension with the Bengals that, in new money, made Johnson the highest-paid fullback in football. The deal came hours after he signed his one-year, $721,600 restricted free-agent tender.

The contract was a significant achievement for Johnson and his agent, Peter Schaffer, who had to work overtime to push the envelope on getting a fullback paid. Prior to Johnson's deal, only 15 fullbacks made $1 million or more a season.

Johnson also flirted briefly this offseason with signing a restricted free-agent offer sheet with the San Francisco 49ers. The deal will keep him in Cincinnati through 2011.

"The negotiations still had some momentum [after the tender signing], and I'm very excited we've been able to secure Jeremi for the long term," Bengals coach Marvin Lewis told SportsTicker. "He's a fantastic blocker and also a threat as a receiver. Jeremi wanted to get this deal done, he wants to be a part of what's happening here, and that's a big plus for our team."

Johnson is a powerful 265-pound lead blocker who has cleared the way for star tailback Rudi Johnson to average 1,289.7 rushing yards over the past three seasons. He has also improved dramatically as a pass blocker over the last two years and, when injuries depleted the Cincinnati backfield, he filled in admirably as a third-down tailback.

A fourth-round choice in the 2003 draft, the former Western Kentucky standout is a prototype of how the fullback position is defined by most teams now. He has just 69 "touches" in three seasons, including only 26 rushes in 48 appearances, but is a selfless performer. While he might not seem as critical a cog to the potent Cincinnati offense as the stars who share his surname, Rudi Johnson and wideout Chad Johnson, the young fullback is a key component.

"He's athletic and can do a lot of things," acknowledged Rudi Johnson.

Also on Thursday, quarterback Carson Palmer, still rehabilitating from surgery to repair the two ligaments that he tore in his left knee during the Bengals' wild card-round playoff loss to Pittsburgh, threw briefly at the team's complex. Palmer is still only in the jogging phase of his recovery, and a timetable for his return remains uncertain, but he has suffered little swelling in the knee and had no setbacks.

Palmer is aiming for a mid-June mini-camp for returning to his normal throwing routine and is still hopeful of being in the starting lineup for the regular-season opener.

max venable
04-18-2006, 08:45 AM
Arrington update from the DDN:

The Bengals, Green Bay, Miami, Jacksonville and New York Giants are in the running for outside linebacker LaVar Arrington, who was scheduled to have a $12.045 million salary cap number before being released by Washington.

He paid back $4.4 million to the Redskins in order to get his release and become a free agent, then reportedly asked for a seven-year, $54 million contract from the Giants.

"We have an interest in LaVar," Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis said. LINK (http://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/content/sports/bengals/daily/0417inside.html)
I like the fact that the Bengals have interest...but I just don't see it happening.

Reds Fanatic
04-19-2006, 08:48 PM
Bengals have signed QB Anthony Wright to a one year deal.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2414522

Updated: April 19, 2006, 8:25 PM ET
Bengals, QB Wright agree to 1-year dealBy Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com

Moving to fill their need for a veteran insurance policy at quarterback, the Cincinnati Bengals on Wednesday night reached a contract agreement in principle with unrestricted free agent Anthony Wright, ESPN.com has learned.

A seven-year veteran who played the last four seasons with the Baltimore Ravens, Wright will sign a one-year contract. Financial details were not yet available, but it is believed the contract will pay Wright a base salary in the seven-figure range and provide him the opportunity to earn more through incentives.

Barring an extension, Wright will be eligible for unrestricted free agency again next spring.

The addition of Wright is critical for the Bengals, given that starting quarterback Carson Palmer continues to rehabilitate from January surgery to repair two torn tendons in his left knee and that he may not be ready for the beginning of the regular season. Palmer and Bengals officials have reiterated that his recovery is on pace and that there have been no setbacks, but there is still no firm timetable for his return to the field. The injury to Palmer occurred in the first quarter of a wild-card playoff loss to the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Cincinnati officials decided to sign Wright, 30, after considering several other options. The Bengals met with a number of candidates earlier in the free-agency period and were also involved in trade talks aimed at acquiring Joey Harrington from the Detroit Lions. In recent weeks, the Bengals seemed to focus on veteran journeyman Jamie Martin as a possibility before opting to sign Wright.

The Bengals have two other quarterbacks on the roster, Doug Johnson and Craig Krenzel, and both have limited starting experience. But with the possibility remaining that Palmer could miss the first month of the 2006 season, Cincinnati coaches and executives wanted a No. 2 quarterback with more experience. The team actually met with Wright in Cincinnati three weeks ago and kept him on its radar.

In 24 appearances, including 19 starts, Wright has completed 328-of-595 passes for 3,547 yards, with 11 touchdown passes and 22 interceptions. The former South Carolina star started seven games in 2005 when Ravens starter Kyle Boller suffered a foot injury and completed 164-of-266 passes for 1,582 yards, with six touchdown passes and nine interceptions.

Wright has a very strong but sometimes erratic arm and good running skills. Originally signed by the Steelers as an undrafted free agent in 1999, Wright moved to the Dallas Cowboys in 2000 and then to the Ravens in 2002.

CTA513
04-19-2006, 09:08 PM
Bengals have signed QB Anthony Wright to a one year deal.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2414522

:runaway:

Yachtzee
04-19-2006, 09:51 PM
On the bright side, he might be able to help out the D with some details of the Ravens' playbook.

CTA513
04-19-2006, 11:38 PM
On the bright side, he might be able to help out the D with some details of the Ravens' playbook.

He might be able to help the D by throwing some interceptions during practice. ;)

Jaycint
04-20-2006, 06:34 AM
God help us.

Danny Serafini
04-20-2006, 09:26 AM
Well, it is better than Jamie Martin or Joey Harrington.

Red Leader
04-20-2006, 09:32 AM
I'm going to go on record as saying that signing Wright was a good move. Wright has had games in the past where he has looked more than competant. Remember, he didn't have the best WR corp to throw to, or the best offensive system in Baltimore when he did play. Despite that, he still had some pretty decent games. I like this signing.

WMR
04-20-2006, 12:11 PM
There's no guarantee that he'll be the starter until Carson returns.

Seeing Krenzel or Johnson start wouldn't surprise me.

Reds Fanatic
04-20-2006, 02:57 PM
More Bengals news today. This is not a free agent signing but the Bengals have extended Chad Johnson's contract and now have him through 2010 with an option for 2011.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2415464

If the NFL is poised to crack down on Chad Johnson's end zone choreography in 2006, with its recently implemented rules aimed at curtailing touchdown celebrations, the Cincinnati Bengals star wide receiver is better prepared now to handle any of the fines that he might incur.

The three-time Pro Bowl performer and consummate showman, one of the most explosive playmakers in the league at any position, on Thursday signed a new contract with the Bengals, ESPN.com has learned. The lucrative deal includes a one-year extension, through the 2010 season, and an option for the Bengals to extend the contract through 2011, if they so desire.

In essence, by restructuring the remainder of Johnson's existing contract, which was set to run through the 2009 campaign, the Bengals created a six-year deal with a total value of $35.5 million.

"In terms of 'new money,' and just being unique from the standpoint of being able to do something for a player who still had four years left on his [existing] contract, it's really monumental," said agent Drew Rosenhaus, who was hired by Johnson a year ago to upgrade his contract "As long as I've been doing this, I've never been able to get an extension like this, basically because of the time remaining on the contract. It's historical. And it's a testament to Chad, and how well he's performed, and to Bengals management for the way they have handled this and the commitment they've made to him."

Under his existing contract, Johnson would have earned $5.75 million in 2006-2007 and the base salaries due him through 2009 totaled $12.15 million. The new contract will pay Johnson $16 million between this season and 2007 and, assuming the Bengals exercise the option for 2011, a total of $35.5 million. That's a whopping $10.75 million in "new money" for the extension portion of the contract.

Johnson will receive a $5 million signing bonus, a $250,000 reporting bonus, a $250,000 workout bonus and a base salary of $2.75 million for 2006. That base salary is the same as he was scheduled to make under his previous contract. In 2007, he is due a $3.5 million option bonus, a reporting bonus of $1.5 million, a $250,000 workout bonus and a $2.5 million base salary.

The base salaries for the balance of the deal are as follows: $3 million (for 2008), $4.5 million (2009), $5 million (2010) and $6 million (2011). There are workout bonuses of $250,000 in each of those seasons. If the Bengals do not exercise the option for the 2011 campaign, they must make Johnson a non-exercise payment of $3.5 million.

Earlier on Thursday, before signing the new contract, Johnson joked to ESPN.com that he was ready to deal with the rules against excessive end zone celebrations that league owners approved at the annual NFL meetings in Orlando, Fla, last month.

"Get yourself real close to the TV, because I'll have some good stuff planned," Johnson said, laughing. "I still plan to be the greatest entertainer in the league."

The five-year veteran, selected by Cincinnati in the second round of the 2001 draft, certainly has developed into one of the NFL's greatest playmakers. The former Oregon State star has posted three straight seasons with 90-plus receptions and four straight campaigns with over 1,000 receiving yards. In 76 appearances, 63 of them starts, Johnson has 379 receptions for 5,556 yards and 34 touchdowns.

traderumor
04-20-2006, 03:02 PM
It looks like the Bengals beat Rosenhaus to the punch and said "we gotta make this guy happy" and did. Katie and Marvin are quite a team. I would imagine this is also advantageous to the cap in future years as a motive for the Bengals to be proactive in their "generosity."

CTA513
04-20-2006, 04:36 PM
Chads deal isnt as big as what people (ESPN) make it out to be.

Heres salaries for some of the "top" receivers in the NFL:

Chad Johnson - 6 Years, $35.5 Million
Hines Ward - 4 years, $27.5 Million
Marvin Harrison - 7 Years, $67 Million
Reggie Wayne - 6 Years, $40 Million
Torry Holt - 7 Years, $42 Million
Joe Horn - 6 Years, $42 Million
Muhsin Muhammad - 6 Years, $30 Million
Randy Moss - 8 Years, $75 Million

max venable
04-20-2006, 05:04 PM
I'm just thrilled that we finally have a good team. The FO and the coaching staff really seem to be getting the job done. I love the direction that the team is heading. With Marvin at the helm, I think the Bengals are going to be good for a very long time.

Who Dey!

WMR
04-20-2006, 06:22 PM
Why do I see the CJ and CP long-term partnership resulting in two more Bengal-busts in Canton?

max venable
04-21-2006, 09:36 AM
Why do I see the CJ and CP long-term partnership resulting in two more Bengal-busts in Canton?
'Cause you should. Those dudes are legit.

BuckWoody
04-21-2006, 01:13 PM
It's good to see quite a few fellow Bengals' fans on here. I've been a die-hard fan for a very long time. I stuck with the team through the decade of darkness and I'm ready to start reaping some karmic rewards for my loyalty, as I'm sure you all are. :thumbup:

I think we have a lot of good times ahead for us. Once Uncle Mike realized his way of running things wasn't working, hired Marvin, and turned a lot of responsibility over to Katie the franchise has done a 180 in the right direction. They are locking up the cornerstones on offense and stockpiling young talent on D all the while with an eye to the cap so they don't turn into the next Titans or 49ers.

They need to turn their attention to Levi and Steinbach now and try to get them extended. Sad to say but, with Chad's new deal, I think unless Big Willie will agree to a pretty big hometown discount, he may not be here after next year. :(

max venable
04-21-2006, 01:19 PM
Good post, BuckWoody...I'm guessing you're a Buckeye fan too! :thumbup:

That's me, man, Reds, Bengals, and Buckeyes!

BuckWoody
04-21-2006, 01:28 PM
Good post, BuckWoody...I'm guessing you're a Buckeye fan too! :thumbup:

That's me, man, Reds, Bengals, and Buckeyes!
You bet! Reds, Bengals, Buckeyes...all day, every day. :thumbup:

max venable
05-06-2006, 09:47 AM
Steinbach working on deal
Bengals lineman says focus now is on the money side

BY MARK CURNUTTE | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITER

Starting offensive lineman Eric Steinbach said Wednesday that his agent and the Bengals have agreed on the length of a possible contract extension.

"But right now we're talking the money situation," said Steinbach, the starting left guard and one of four starting offensive linemen whose contracts will expire after the 2006 season.

Steinbach is a three-year starter.

But Jack Bechta, his agent, painted a different picture.

"We can't agree on anything," Bechta said. "We are nowhere. The good news is we're talking. Both sides are going to continue to talk."

Steinbach started 15 games in 2005 at left guard. He started Game 16 at left tackle in place of injured Levi Jones. Steinbach played center for much of the Houston game after starter Rich Braham and backup Larry Moore were injured.

"You try to keep it separate," Steinbach said when asked if the business side interferes with the game. "Football and business are two different things when you're negotiating contracts. You can throw the whole team thing into it, but the next guy, when he's negotiating a contract - it's all about the money, really.

"I would love to stay in Cincinnati, I'm happy here, so we'll just see. Things like this take time."

Steinbach, starting tackles Willie Anderson and Jones and starting center Braham all can be unrestricted free agents in March.

Steinbach, who turned 26 last month, might be the most valuable of all the Bengals' offensive linemen because of his versatility and age.

He could be switched to left tackle because of his natural quickness and athleticism. He is effective as a pulling guard. He is entering the final season of his rookie deal and will earn a $460,000 base salary. Second NFL contracts are traditionally the largest for players.

"It's your turn," Steinbach said of players trying to score a second contract LINK (http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060504/SPT02/605040393/1066)

max venable
05-09-2006, 03:34 PM
Bengals sign Eric Henderson: (bengals.com)

The agent for Georgia Tech defensive end Eric Henderson has confirmed several published reports that his client is on his way to Cincinnati after sifting through calls from an estimated 20 teams following the draft.

Kevin Conner said Monday that a major selling point for his client is that he’s the only college free agent defensive end the Bengals signed on a team that isn’t overloaded at the position.

Conner admits he’s “still scratching his head” over why Henderson didn’t get drafted last month. Some possibilities include his “tweener” size (6-2, 265 pounds), his injury history (seven missed games the last two seasons), and the fact he couldn’t run at the NFL scouting combine because of a foot injury he suffered during workouts.

Yet here’s a four-year starter who finished as Tech’s all-time leading tackler for loss with 59.5 and fourth in career sacks with 25.

“The thing teams like about him is that he’s been a productive guy in the ACC and has constantly gone up against the top tackles,” Conner said.

Ourlads Scouting Services, which had him ticketed for the third or fourth round, ranked Henderson ahead of the Bengals’ third-round pick, USC defensive end Frostee Rucker, observing he’s a “run through type hitter that’s an impact player. Instinctive and competitive player that takes good pursuit angles and finishes the play. Can leverage block and get push. If he stays healthy, he can be a force.”

It depends who you talk to. His profile on NFL.com says Henderson “is a risky draft pick because undersized defensive ends usually fail without explosiveness.”

The Bengals apparently saw something. Head coach Marvin Lewis emphasizes college production and they have to like the fact he got his degree in business management back in December.

“The guy knows how to rush the passer,” Conner said. “When he puts his hand on the ground, it’s magic.”

Since Henderson is a CFA, he’s grinding for either the last end spot or a spot on the practice squad.

Going by past history, the Bengals are going to keep four ends and they now have Rucker, Henderson, Jonathan Fanene, Justin Smith, and Robert Geathers. Plus, tackle Bryan Robinson can play some end.