Rich Aurilia 2B
Ken Griffey Jr. CF
Adam Dunn LF
Edwin Encarnacion 3B
Scott Hatteberg 1B
Austin Kearns RF
Javier Valentin C
Eric Milton P

Narron bats Aurilia 2nd becuase he's performed best when he's in front of "people chasing dead guys" (Home Run record).... sigh... All he's basing that off of is one good season batting in front of Bonds

KronoRed
03-27-2006, 05:55 PM
He said that?

Oh lord :(

Puffy
03-27-2006, 06:02 PM
Hatteburg should never be batting in front of Kearns, even in meaningless spring training games. Hatteburg should not be more than a utility player to begin with, but I digress.

reds44
03-27-2006, 06:03 PM
Anybody else that EE has gotten too much PT this ST?

Doc. Scott
03-27-2006, 06:04 PM
Aurilia batting second is a great way to pile up some double plays, given that Rich runs like a severely constipated construction worker.

BRM
03-27-2006, 06:04 PM
I'd rather see Aurilia hitting 2nd than Womack leading off.

Blimpie
03-27-2006, 06:06 PM
Austin should see LOTS of good pitches today with the Love Machine protecting him in the order.....:angry:

Blimpie
03-27-2006, 06:07 PM
I'd rather see Aurilia hitting 2nd than Womack leading off.That's like opting for the chicken pox over the measles.

ochre
03-27-2006, 06:09 PM
German measles, or the common garden variety?

SeeinRed
03-27-2006, 06:09 PM
That's like opting for the chicken pox over the measles.

Not really, after you have chicken pox once, you never get it again.

BRM
03-27-2006, 06:10 PM

I didn't say I liked the choice. It's just the lesser of two evils in my opinion.

Blimpie
03-27-2006, 06:16 PM
Not really, after you have chicken pox once, you never get it again.So you're saying, if we bat Rich # 2 tonight....then we won't see that lineup again? Ever?

Count me in brother. :cool:

SeeinRed
03-27-2006, 06:16 PM

I would say its more like choosing to be kicked in the head repetedly or kicked in the privates repetedly... I, for one, choose death!

NastyBoy
03-27-2006, 06:17 PM
Is this Pittsburghs opening day lineup?

Blimpie
03-27-2006, 06:17 PM
German measles, or the common garden variety?For some odd reason, I just thought about the distinguishing characteristics between African and European Swallows. :D

Redmachine2003
03-27-2006, 06:20 PM
So with the playing time Freel is getting you would think the Reds are thinking about dealing him.

RedsManRick
03-27-2006, 06:21 PM
For some odd reason, I just thought about the distinguishing characteristics between African and European Swallows. :D

I was thinking the same thing but didn't want to answer as I have work to do and can't afford to go flying off a cliff at the moment. :p:

KronoRed
03-27-2006, 06:36 PM
Aurilia batting second is a great way to pile up some double plays, given that Rich runs like a severely constipated construction worker.
Like Womack will ever get on base to be involved in a DP ;)

Poor JR, always batting with 2 outs in a Womack/Aurilia 1-2.

Doc. Scott
03-27-2006, 06:48 PM
I'm warming up in the bullpen for this one. I should be able to do four or five innings before one of the NRIs can take over.

Jerry Narron interview is imminent. I wait with bated breath.

Doc. Scott
03-27-2006, 06:53 PM
Big deal being made about Jason LaRue catching a ride on Bob Castellini's private plane. It was nice of Bob.

He addresses that EE made two errors on one play right after praising his defense, but doesn't say it was the wrong thing to say. Instead, he diplomatically impugns the entire team for playing their sloppiest game of the spring.

Apparently Milton's doing better because his knee's in better shape. Of course it's rumored that he has zero cartilage remaining.

DannyB
03-27-2006, 06:56 PM
Originally Posted by Doc. Scott

Hey!! I thought I was pretty fast:yikes:

Doc. Scott
03-27-2006, 06:59 PM
Hey!! I thought I was pretty fast:yikes:

You are probably benefiting from a well-oiled machine of a digestive system. Perhaps Rich needs more roughage in his diet.

Doc. Scott
03-27-2006, 07:01 PM
Top of 1. No Marty tonight; he's off.

We shall see if Pittsburgh makes any claims towards parentage of a certain Miltonesque individual this fine evening. Lest you forget that Mr. Milton is still in possession of a 7.94 ERA this spring.

Your color man... Dr. Tim Kremchek. Great. Break out the sunshine pump and bend over. He may be a great surgeon, but he's the ultimate homer yes-man on the mike. He makes Chip Caray look like David Cross.

Duffy (.235). Quickly 0-2. Wind blowing out. Oh, great. Eric wastes one. Bounced to Edwin, and he fires a strike to first for the 5-3 out. One down.

Sanchez (.324). 0-2 again, then another waster. Foul back. Fly to center and Junior makes the easy catch. Two down.

Casey (.400). Strike from Eric. Grounder to Encarnacion, and another strong throw finishes the inning.

Pirates 0, Reds CTB.

membengal
03-27-2006, 07:04 PM
I'd rather see Aurilia hitting 2nd than Womack leading off.

Yeah, if that's the choice, as between those two, I am fine with this line-up iteration.

Gandalf the Red
03-27-2006, 07:07 PM
Top of 1. No Marty tonight; he's off.

Yeah, I think he promised Nordberg--er, I mean Brian Buchanan--that they'd bake a raisin nut bread ;)

Matt700wlw
03-27-2006, 07:10 PM
Still weird to see Casey in black and gold....

...I don't like black and gold!! :D

Doc. Scott
03-27-2006, 07:11 PM
Yeah, I think he promised Nordberg--er, I mean Brian Buchanan--that they'd bake a raisin nut bread ;)

Heh. Are you just like Gandalf the Grey, except of neutral alignment?

Redmachine2003

My thoughts too.

Doc. Scott
Bottom of 1.

Lopez. 1-2 count. Foul. STRUCK HIM OUT. Nice breaking ball from Snell, we're told.

Piano Back. Hitting just .205 with one homer this spring. Called strike one. Popup on the infield, and the veteran Jose Hernandez makes the grab.

Griffey. Ball's inside. Called strike. Swing and a miss on the high cheese. Foul. Balls two and three. Foul on the payoff pitch. Another one. Bomb hit "deep into the night" (Steve channeling Jim Steinman), but foul again. Liner to right, past Burnitz! Junior pulls into second with a double.

Doc K makes a minor funny about seeing Griffey wearing #3: "I thought Pokey Reese was back."

Dunn. Falls behind 0-2 with some fouls and a swing. The Pirates are doing the Shift. Ball one. Ball two, juuuust a bit outside. High fly to deep left, but he got under it. Craig Wilson makes the grab.

0-0 after 1.

Oh, and Tom Browning is coming up to the booth. He's got a book out, you know.

Chip R
EdE made a nice backhand stop and strong, accurate throw to get Duffy by a step at 1st. Also threw out Casey, who, if I am not mistaken, is clean shaven now.

kbrake
03-27-2006, 07:14 PM
Missed the first inning what is Milton hitting on the gun?

Chip R
03-27-2006, 07:15 PM
Either George is full of crap or, according to him, Lopez will be the leadoff or #2 hitter most of the time with Freel hitting 1st if he is playing. No mention of Womack.

Caveat Emperor
03-27-2006, 07:17 PM
Stuck in a night class: bad
Stuck in a night class when Eric Milton is pitching: worse.

Thanks for the updates, Doc! Game threads rock the party that rocks the body.

KronoRed
03-27-2006, 07:20 PM
Either George is full of crap or, according to him, Lopez will be the leadoff or #2 hitter most of the time with Freel hitting 1st if he is playing. No mention of Womack.
That would be what a logical team would do so it's a logical assumtion, however logic doesn't hang out with the Reds.

Chip R
03-27-2006, 07:21 PM
Jr. with a 2 out double over Burnitz head. Dunn flies to LF for the 3rd out.

membengal
03-27-2006, 07:23 PM
have not seen a radar reading for Milton yet. Popped the mitt in the first a few times. I would guess he's around 90-92 when he wants to be.

By the way, why the bleep must Grande and Welsh start every year trying to fix Dunn's swing? I would cuss here if it were allowed. Why not celebrate what a fearsome hitter he has become? Why? Why not try that for an at-bat or two?

Good lord. It would be nice to hear something different from them on that score.

Doc. Scott
03-27-2006, 07:23 PM
Missed the first inning what is Milton hitting on the gun?

They haven't said. But more than sixty and less than a hundred. :)

membengal
03-27-2006, 07:25 PM
Milton just threw a fastball by Wilson for a K.

Gotta say, this is starting to make me hope he can keep the ERA under 5 this year.

Nice to see why expectations sufficiently lowered.

Doc. Scott
03-27-2006, 07:25 PM
Top of 2.

John Fay in the booth.

Wilson. Looks like a strike. Then a swing and a miss. 0-2. Ball one. SWING AND A MISS HE STRUCK 'IM OUT FASTBALL ON THE HANDS

Steve says Wayne Krivsky is "collecting talent". At the Goodwill store?

Randa. Draws a walk on five pitches after an early swing-and-miss on the offspeed pitch.

Burnitz. Punches one the other way to left-center, but he's got Dante Bichette Warning-Track Power (TM) that way and Dunn gloves it easily. Two outs.

Hernandez. Called strike. 2-1 count....

Fay thinks Belisle, Coffey, and Wagner will go first, adroitly pointing out that Mike Burns has options. It isn't like John to ignore the party line like that.

...and just like that, a laser beam to straightaway center by Jose. 2-0 Pittsburgh.

Doumit. Diving backhanded stop by Lopez on a hard-hit grounder, but his throw to first is in the dirt. Infield single.

Brian Buchanan may be looking like a million bucks, but do you want him taking Chris Denorfia's playing time? I don't.

Snell. 1-1 after a swing. Strike two. Ball two. Foul. Just low, full count. Foul. Liner past Milton, into center for a single. Doumit to third. D'oh!

Duffy. In the dirt. Swing and a miss, 1-1. Fouled to the screen. Another one. CALLED STRIKE THREE!

Steve sure likes to mess up the ball-strike count when he's distracted by Mr. Banker's Hours.

2-0 Pirates after 2. This inning was more like the old Eric.

Gandalf the Red
03-27-2006, 07:26 PM
Heh. Are you just like Gandalf the Grey, except of neutral alignment?

Doc-I salute your geek knowledge as I had to look that up.

From Wikipedia:
In Dungeons & Dragons and some similar role-playing games, alignment refers to the moral and ethical perspective of the player characters, non-player characters, monsters, and societies in the game. Thus alignment neutral would be more descriptive of Narron, Jerry--Placeholder between the darkness of Boone/Miley and the enlightment of Pinella, Lou.

kbrake
03-27-2006, 07:27 PM
I really wish they had a gun reading up. It was easy to see why Milton was throwing so hard last start, hadnt pitched in awhile probaly had a little extra on it. Was really going to be much more encouraged tonight if he was still throwing that hard.

kbrake
03-27-2006, 07:28 PM
nevermind

Matt700wlw
03-27-2006, 07:28 PM
Milton LOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNGGGGGGGG ball!

membengal
03-27-2006, 07:29 PM
Home run.

That's the Milty we dread.

Chip R
03-27-2006, 07:30 PM
By the way, why the bleep must Grande and Welsh start every year trying to fix Dunn's swing? I would cuss here if it were allowed. Why not celebrate what a fearsome hitter he has become? Why? Why not try that for an at-bat or two?

Good lord. It would be nice to hear something different from them on that score.

It would be nice but it is not like he listens to them.

Milton walks Randa then gives up a Milton to Jose Hernandez. Felipe makes a beautiful diving stop in the hole and Hatteberg cannot handle the short hop.

Gandalf the Red
03-27-2006, 07:31 PM
Milton trading window now closed. Move along. :)

blark11
03-27-2006, 07:35 PM

Gotta love the Boilermakers though

Doc. Scott
03-27-2006, 07:39 PM
Doc-I salute your geek knowledge as I had to look that up.

From Wikipedia:
In Dungeons & Dragons and some similar role-playing games, alignment refers to the moral and ethical perspective of the player characters, non-player characters, monsters, and societies in the game. Thus alignment neutral would be more descriptive of Narron, Jerry--Placeholder between the darkness of Boone/Miley and the enlightment of Pinella, Lou.

For the older folks, it was the Lord of the Rings. For me, it was the Dragonlance Chronicles (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0786918705/sr=8-4/qid=1143506289/ref=pd_bbs_4/102-0537050-4732138?%5Fencoding=UTF8) and a long fifth-grade bus ride.

But I guess you didn't ride the same bus as the Coffey brothers and I (http://reds.mostvaluablenetwork.com/regular-posts/st-games-25-26-27-reds-6-devil-rays-2-reds-11-twins-9-indians-9-reds-4/#comments). That's okay.

Doc. Scott
03-27-2006, 07:40 PM
Bottom of 2.

Encarnacion leads off with a rope off the center-field fence. Another double. Real men poke opposite-field Texas Leaguers, but whatever. Time for AAA, buddy.

Hatteberg (.293-2-5). 1-1. High breaking ball. LINER TO CENTER, base hit! Edwin is held at third. Hatteberg manages to make it to first on the outfield shot.

Kearns. A LaRue special yesterday- a solo HR and two Rudies. Casey engrossed in an oral exegesis of Faulkner at first base with Mr. Hatteberg. Breaking ball, strike puts Austin down 0-2. Three and see ya later on the curveball. One down.

LLM. First pitch, SMOKED to center. Duffy makes the catch, and that's a sacrifice fly. 2-1 Pirates.

Milton. Too bad he doesn't hit like people hit him. Actually, I take that back, as he belted a pair of bombs in 2005. Opposite-field fly ball AND IT'S DROPPED BY CRAIG WILSON! Send Hatteberg to third and put Eric aboard.

Lopez. Breaking ball, strike. Ian looking pretty good if he can keep doing that. 0-2 now on Felipe. Low, ball one. Foul back. He makes the third out as I try in vain to think of a joke relating to Jason LaRue's Texacentric hobbies.

Jason LaRue is also depicted on the magnetic schedule given away on the 7th "hunting" a baserunner. Shhhh. He's hunting Womacks.

UPRedsFan
03-27-2006, 07:40 PM
Grande never stops talking, ever! His voice is starting to irritate because he never says anything interesting when he is talking.

UPRedsFan
03-27-2006, 07:41 PM
Does anyone know a way to watch mlb.tv and listen to gameday audio at the same time?

Doc. Scott
03-27-2006, 07:50 PM
Top of 3.

Sanchez. Strike called. Fly down the right field line, gloved by Kearns. One out.

Casey. Tom Browning joins Steve in the booth. Foul ball. They discuss Browning's moving Milton to the other side of the pitching rubber. High fly to right- second verse, same as the first. Tom says he was effective from that side of the rubber even at 86-88 mph.

Immediately thereafter Wilson crushes a bomb over the left-center field wall. 3-1 Pirates.

"Well, left that one out over the plate," cackles Browning. Immediately he talks about how he can't change anyone who's been in the big leagues for a long time.

2-2 count on the next guy. Another HR-length bomb Deep Into the Night (But I Won't Do That). C'mon, Steve, come up with something else. Pop fly ends the inning.

They talk about Browning's book. Tom laments that a box wasn't delivered to the clubhouse.

3-1 Pirates.

Matt700wlw
03-27-2006, 07:51 PM
Well...

:milton:

membengal
03-27-2006, 07:52 PM
It would be nice but it is not like he listens to them.

Milton walks Randa then gives up a Milton to Jose Hernandez. Felipe makes a beautiful diving stop in the hole and Hatteberg cannot handle the short hop.

That's true Chip, he doesn't. But, WE have to. And, I am saying, they need to give it a frickin' rest.

Gandalf the Red
03-27-2006, 07:53 PM
Krivsky's doing a guest spot in the booth.

Asked if he'd have traded Casey. Non response response.

Surprised George didn't spontaneously combust or throw Wayne out of the booth for saying, "We're having a hell of a time."

Doc. Scott
03-27-2006, 08:00 PM
I'm ready for a reliever after this inning.

Bottom of 3.

Browning points out that Tim Belcher hit a HR off him just before he threw his perfect game. Also a lot of Lou Piniella stories in there. I haven't cracked my free review copy yet.

Aurilia. 2-1 count. Outside, 3-1. Annnnd he walks.

Junior. 2-2. Steve asks if Tom has ever heard of an owner who would let players use their plane. Tom chuckles, thinking of Marge Schott and Eric Davis' self-financed trip home during the 1990 World Series. Ball three to Junior. Bouncer foul. GRIFFEY CRUSHES ONE DEEP TO CENTER DUFFY PEES HIMSELF IT'S OVER THE BATTER'S EYE GONE TIE SCORE 3-3

AND NOW DUNN CRUSHES ONE TO DEEP CENTER DUFFY TOWELS OFF, GOES BACK, AND

gloves it against the fence. One out.

EdE. Swing and a miss. 5-3 grounder, two out.

Hatteberg. Ball's low. Browning refers to the Reds' relief corps as the "Geritol Gang". Touche. 2-1 now on Hatteberg. Liner to center, caught by Duffy.

3-3 after 3.

www.browningbook.com. Tip your server and stay tuned.

KittyDuran
03-27-2006, 08:01 PM
Hr Junior!!!

Matt700wlw
:griffey:

:jump:

Gandalf the Red
Narron and Krivsky both commenting on TV simultaneously now.
Narron saying how getting Hatteberg set things in motion and made the Pena-Arroyo deal possible.

So it's confirmed: Scott Hatteberg is the straw the stirs the drink.

--Jr. Homers--tied at 3!

Reds Fanatic
Long homer to center by Junior. Tie game 3-3!!

KittyDuran
03-27-2006, 08:02 PM
:( Dunn got a charge into a pitch - but an out...

KronoRed
03-27-2006, 08:02 PM
JR = The Man

dougdirt
03-27-2006, 08:03 PM
That thing was an absolute BOMB!

Reds Fanatic
03-27-2006, 08:09 PM
Top of 4th.

Burnitz grounds out to 1st. 1 out.
Hernandez walks on a 3-2 pitch.
Doumit singles to left on a 3-1 pitch. 1st and 2nd with one out.
Snell strikes out on a bunted 3rd strike. 2 outs.
Duffy strikes out swinging.

3-3 mid 4th.

Falls City Beer
03-27-2006, 08:09 PM
There are few stories coming out of the Reds organization more intriguing than what they plan to do to exorcise Eric Milton's PR demon.

reds44
03-27-2006, 08:11 PM
ARGH I missed 3 innings because I had no idea it was on.

Crap.

M2
03-27-2006, 08:12 PM
Milton's "heater" is working about 85-89 right now.

M2
03-27-2006, 08:14 PM
There are few stories coming out of the Reds organization more intriguing than what they plan to do to exorcise Eric Milton's PR demon.

Didn't you hear? Five days ago after one good four inning stretch it was widely decided Milton had turned the corner and was now going to be a better pitcher than he's ever been before ... approaching age 31 ... with an unfixable degenerative knee condition.

Gandalf the Red
03-27-2006, 08:14 PM

...but it's dry heat.

redsfan30
03-27-2006, 08:15 PM
I think Milton's stuff looks ok. He's still got pretty good zip on the fastball and for the most part he's been able to spot it pretty well...not as good as Wednesday, but still not horrible. He threw a couple of nice looking curve balls as well.

The results to this point aren't what they were Wednesday as he's had to work out of trouble a couple times. The encouraging thing about that is it looks like he's stayed right in there and had confidence in his stuff. It looks to me like for the most part his command is pretty good.

The line won't look as good as his last start, but I think there are some positives to be taken out of this so far.

redsfan30
03-27-2006, 08:16 PM
It doesn't look like the gun is working right tonight. It didn't even show up til the 3rd inning. Looks like he's throwing much faster than that.

Chris just said the stadium gun has him at 93MPH.

reds44
03-27-2006, 08:18 PM
Well Milton just blew that one right by him.

HE GONE!

Falls City Beer
stadium gun

Band name.

BCubb2003
Wasn't the last Reds player to ride in the owner's plane Griffey, and Lindner?

M2
03-27-2006, 08:19 PM
It doesn't look like the gun is working right tonight. It didn't even show up til the 3rd inning. Looks like he's throwing much faster than that.

Chris just said the stadium gun has him at 93MPH.

And I'm looking at the radar readings on FSO after every pitch and he didn't touch 90 once in the 4th. Maybe he tickled 93 in the first, but that would just make this the second straight start where he bled velocity after just one inning.

Redmachine2003
03-27-2006, 08:20 PM
I haven't seen Milton hit above 90 on the gun yet.

Reds Fanatic
03-27-2006, 08:21 PM
Bottom of the 4th

Kearns grounds out to short on a 2-2 pitch. 1 out.
Valentin strikes out looking on a 1-2 pitch. 2 outs.
Milton grounds out to short on a 1-2 pitch.

3-3 after 4.

redsfan30
03-27-2006, 08:22 PM
I know what the gun on FSN is showing...I'm watching it too. I don't think it's on right. That heater he blew by Duffy to end the inning was over 90, but the gun only showed 88.

Falls City Beer
03-27-2006, 08:23 PM
As a control group, what are Snell's readings looking like--and do they match his arsenal?

M2
03-27-2006, 08:23 PM
I know what the gun on FSN is showing...I'm watching it too. I don't think it's on right. That heater he blew by Duffy to end the inning was over 90, but the gun only showed 88.

It would seem to me that if the gun says 88, then the most likely answer is that it was going 88.

membengal
03-27-2006, 08:24 PM
Snell has popped a few up there around 94 according to the Fox score dealie at the top of the screen, and I think that is a little healthy for his stuff, but dunno for sure.

Gandalf the Red
03-27-2006, 08:25 PM

Mr. Milton--aka Friend of Longball (FOL)--wants to make sure you all know that the FSN radar gun is in Celsius.

redsfan30
03-27-2006, 08:26 PM
If the gun's right, it's right. I just don't look it looks like he's been in the 85-89 range on his fastball tonight.

Caveat Emperor
03-27-2006, 08:27 PM
Mr. Milton--aka Friend of Longball (FOL)--wants to make sure you all know that the FSN radar gun is in Celsius.

He also wishes to point out that once his pitches hit 88 MPH, they actually slow down time and only SEEM like they're going slower.

Cursed Fluxball...I hope he tries out a new grip or something.

Reds Fanatic
Top of 5th.

Sanchez lines out to right. 1 out.
Casey grounds out to 1st on an 0-2 pitch. 2 outs.

Milton just hit 91 first time over 90 all night according to the gun.
Wilson flies out to right on a 2-2 pitch.

3-3 mid 5th.

KoryMac5
Didn't you hear? Five days ago after one good four inning stretch it was widely decided Milton had turned the corner and was now going to be a better pitcher than he's ever been before ... approaching age 31 ... with an unfixable degenerative knee condition.

As optimistic as always about Mr. Milton

Petitt33
03-27-2006, 08:28 PM
Seeing Casey in a Pirates uni while we're stuck with Hatteberg really sucks!

membengal
03-27-2006, 08:31 PM
I have to say here, quietly, that I don't mind Hatteberg.

Reds Fanatic
03-27-2006, 08:33 PM
Bottom of the 5th:

Lopez walks on a 3-2 pitch.
Aurilia pops out to short on the 1st pitch. 1 out.
Junior flies out to right on a 1-1 pitch. 2 outs.
Lopez steals second.
On a 2-2 pitch Dunn drives a double to the wall in left center. 4-3 Reds!!
On a 2-2 pitch Encarnacion pops out to short.

4-3 Reds after 5.

reds44
03-27-2006, 08:34 PM
+1

I agree.

Falls City Beer
03-27-2006, 08:34 PM

I think it's probably fair to say that the guy's not a double murderer or a child molester. So he's got that going for him.

M2
03-27-2006, 08:35 PM
As optimistic as always about Mr. Milton

Optimism schmoptimism, Milton's beyond optimism. He's binary at this point. Either you recognize him for what he is or you don't.

Caveat Emperor
03-27-2006, 08:37 PM
I was just looking online at the "Lucky Fan Promotion" website, the spot the Ohio Lottery just read about a fan getting diamond seats, a personalized jersey, $500 'signing bonus' and a one day contract, and I saw this at the bottom:

"Contest winner may be asked to spot-start on a get-away day afternoon contest"

I mean...we're hard up, but seriously...

Aronchis
03-27-2006, 08:37 PM
Milton's having leg problems tonight, he isn't popping the glove like his last start and it shows in his performance. I expect some lengthy DL time for Mr. Milton this year.

TNREDSFAN
03-27-2006, 08:40 PM
lopez, sb

TNREDSFAN
03-27-2006, 08:40 PM
dunn, rbi

M2
03-27-2006, 08:41 PM
Milton's having leg problems tonight, he isn't popping the glove like his last start and it shows in his performance. I expect some lengthy DL time for Mr. Milton this year.

He's not going to get a month between starts as a general rule, which probably explains the velo drop.

And I think you're probably right about DL time for Milton.

Meanwhile, nice running by Felipe and good hitting by Adam.

KoryMac5
03-27-2006, 08:42 PM
Optimism schmoptimism, Milton's beyond optimism. He's binary at this point. Either you recognize him for what he is or you don't.

I didn't think they had a degree program in Miltonistics.

M2
03-27-2006, 08:43 PM
Encarnacion just got it a bit on the handle.

Gandalf the Red
03-27-2006, 08:45 PM

Yeah, it's a three-year course. Unfortunately the lab fee is about 25 million dollars.

M2
03-27-2006, 08:45 PM

Degree program? He's part of a continuing rorschach test that's been presented to Reds fans. Look at that inkblot on the mound and tell me if you see a bum pitcher.

Reds Fanatic
03-27-2006, 08:46 PM
Top 6th:

Changes: Mike Burns in to pitch, David Ross in to catch, Frank Menechino at 3rd.

Lead off batter strikes out swinging. 1 out.
Burnitz flies out to left on a 3-2 pitch. 2 outs.
Hernandez grounds back to the pitcher on a 1-1 pitch.

4-3 Reds mid 6th.

Reds Fanatic
03-27-2006, 08:53 PM
Bottom 6th:

Pitching change:
C.J. Nitkowski in to pitch

Hatteberg flies out to left 1 out.

Another pitching change: Salomon Torres in to pitch
Kearns strikes out swinging on a 96 MPH fastball. 2 outs.
Ross strikes out swinging on a 93 MPH fastball.

4-3 Reds after 6.

KoryMac5
03-27-2006, 08:54 PM
Look at that inkblot on the mound and tell me if you see a bum pitcher.

Last year definitely, this year I'll take the wait and see approach, anything is an improvement over last years Milton though. I'm happy with what I've seen so far.

wire2wire90
03-27-2006, 08:54 PM
I agree...Milty didn't have as much pop as his last start, but I'll take him giving up 3 runs in 5 innings. At least the bullpen didn't have to get up in the 1st inning

Reds Fanatic
03-27-2006, 09:01 PM
Top 7th:

Leadoff batter doubles to center.
McClouth flies out to left on a 1-0 pitch. 1 out.
Duffy reaches on an infield single. 1st and 3rd with 1 out.
Sanchez grounds out to 3rd on a 2-1 pitch. Run scores. Duffy moves to 2nd. 4-4.
Bautista strikes out looking on a 3-2 pitch.

4-4 mid 7th.

M2
03-27-2006, 09:02 PM
Last year definitely, this year I'll take the wait and see approach, anything is an improvement over last years Milton though. I'm happy with what I've seen so far.

So you're hoping Eric Milton will be someone other than Eric Milton. Well, just you wait and see, he's still Eric Milton.

Redmachine2003
03-27-2006, 09:04 PM
Man Kearns really looks bad at the plate. He looks lost at the plate and his swing looks out of control.

Falls City Beer
03-27-2006, 09:06 PM
Man Kearns really looks bad at the plate. He looks lost at the plate and his swing looks out of control.

In a small sample this spring, he's OB at .400. He's walking at least. But it's a legitimate concern viz. his swing.

OnBaseMachine
03-27-2006, 09:06 PM

He must be doing something right with a line of .314/.410/.471

Redmachine2003
03-27-2006, 09:11 PM
I mean it doesn't look like his normal swing.

Reds Fanatic
03-27-2006, 09:11 PM
Bottom 7th:

Pitching change for Pittsburgh: Ryan Vogelsong
Menechino grounds out to the pitcher on a 3-2 pitch. 1 out.
Lopez pops out. 2 outs.
Aurilia flies out to right on a 2-0 pitch.

4-4 after 7.

KronoRed
03-27-2006, 09:15 PM
Maybe Kearn's old swing was part of the problem

Reds Fanatic
03-27-2006, 09:18 PM
Top 8th:

Pitching change for the Reds: Chris Hammond
Wilson strikes out looking on a 3-2 pitch. 1 out.
Edwards singles.
Edwards moves to 2nd on a wild pitch.
Paulino singles to center on a 2-0 pitch. 1st and 3rd with 1 out.
Meth grounds into what should have been a 5-2-6 fielder's choice but Lopez drops the ball. Error on Lopez. Bases loaded.
A 5-3 double play ends the inning.

4-4 mid 8th.

Caveat Emperor
03-27-2006, 09:23 PM
Maybe Kearn's old swing was part of the problem

His old swing induced overweight LOOGYs to fall on him?

KronoRed
03-27-2006, 09:28 PM
His old swing induced overweight LOOGYs to fall on him?
Maybe it was mocking swing ? ;)

Reds Fanatic
03-27-2006, 09:29 PM
I have to leave if anyone else wants to do updates.

Reds Nd2
03-27-2006, 09:32 PM
Meth grounds into what should have been a 5-2-6 fielder's choice but Lopez drops the ball. Error on Lopez. Bases loaded.

A bad feed from Ross didn't help matters.

Joseph
03-27-2006, 09:34 PM
Hammond induces the groundball dp to get out of the inning.

Griffey leads off the bottom half with a double.

Reds Nd2
03-27-2006, 09:35 PM
Dunn goes to first on a strikeout.

Joseph
03-27-2006, 09:37 PM
Dunn K's but reaches first on the passed ball, Griff moves to 3rd. Freel runs for Dunn, Cruz PHs.

KronoRed
03-27-2006, 09:39 PM
Dunn reaches on a K..AHHHA! so K's can result in getting to 1st!

Take that contact is better people :p:

;)

Matt700wlw
03-27-2006, 09:40 PM
Hatteberg getting passed for Kearns....

Joseph
03-27-2006, 09:40 PM
Cruz K's, Freel to 2nd uncontested. Hatteberg with the intentional BB

Reds Nd2
03-27-2006, 09:41 PM
Hatteberg getting passed for Kearns....

Hatteberg's free pass sets up the double play.

Joseph
03-27-2006, 09:42 PM
BB to Kearns after a wild pitch to score Griffey.

Reds Nd2
03-27-2006, 09:44 PM
Dunn reaches on a K..AHHHA! so K's can result in getting to 1st!

Take that contact is better people :p:

;)

Somewhere BadFundamentals is weeping. :cry:

Reds Nd2
03-27-2006, 09:47 PM
Breaking news alert: George Grande thinks the Cardinals are the cream of the crop this season.

Redmachine2003
03-27-2006, 09:52 PM
Breaking news alert: George Grande thinks the Cardinals are the cream of the crop this season.
They also say the Reds are looking for a fulltime 1st baseman, other than Hatteberg.

Redmachine2003
03-27-2006, 09:53 PM
and this one belongs to the Reds

Strikes Out Looking
03-27-2006, 09:53 PM
How does Mrs. Jim Edmonds know what the Reds are looking for? Is Krivsky consulting him?

traderumor
03-27-2006, 10:08 PM
And I'm looking at the radar readings on FSO after every pitch and he didn't touch 90 once in the 4th. Maybe he tickled 93 in the first, but that would just make this the second straight start where he bled velocity after just one inning.
Something was fishy with the gun, which it usually is on FSN Cincy. Ryan Vogelsong was registering in the 80s. The one thing Vogelsong can do is throw heat, so I'd say the TV gun was not reliable tonight. Plus, it had Hammond hitting 80 once and 83 another, so it can't be right ;)

Wilson's HR was just a bad pitch, a Milton special waist high, started in the middle of the plate and tailed right into the wheelhouse.

Dunner44
03-27-2006, 10:21 PM
I agree...Milty didn't have as much pop as his last start, but I'll take him giving up 3 runs in 5 innings. At least the bullpen didn't have to get up in the 1st inning

I don't know about y'all, but i'll take 5 innings, 3 ER from Milty... thats ALMOST a quality start...

Superdude
03-27-2006, 10:50 PM
And I'm looking at the radar readings on FSO after every pitch and he didn't touch 90 once in the 4th

They didn't have the gun working for the first couple innings, but I noticed that in Milton's last start. He came out throwing smoke but ended up settling back in the high eighties after a few innings. Hopefully that will as the season approaches.

Raisor
03-28-2006, 08:55 AM
I got nothing to say.

cumberlandreds
03-28-2006, 09:20 AM
I don't know about y'all, but i'll take 5 innings, 3 ER from Milty... thats ALMOST a quality start...

I will go one more inning and three runs every outing and be very happy. That would come out to a 4.50 ERA and probably 12-14 wins.

NJReds
03-28-2006, 09:30 AM
Something was fishy with the gun, which it usually is on FSN Cincy. Ryan Vogelsong was registering in the 80s. The one thing Vogelsong can do is throw heat, so I'd say the TV gun was not reliable tonight. Plus, it had Hammond hitting 80 once and 83 another, so it can't be right ;)

Funny you should mention strange radar gun readings. I was watching the Yanks-DRays here on the YES network over the weekend. The annoucers were talking about what a hard thrower Edwin Jackson is, yet the gun was showing that he was throwing in a range between 79-88. Didn't touch 90 once, according to the gun.