Ken Griffey Jr. CF
Adam Dunn DH
Edwin Encarnacion 3B
Scott Hatteberg 1B
Brian Buchanan RF
Ryan Freel LF
David Ross C
(Dave Williams P)

Ross gets the start because a righty is pitching? And I though Killer B was going to get some work at 1B?

Raisor
03-28-2006, 05:02 PM
Jerry Narron's past his probation with me. With the pitching as bad as it is, the only joy this team can give is the offense. Yet he keeps not only playing Womack, but he keeps putting him at the top of the lineup.

I want both Narron and Womack gone yesterday.

Heath
03-28-2006, 05:03 PM
Shouldn't the title read "The Original Red Sox vs. The We-Stole-Your-Name-Because-We-Bought-Your-Shortstop-in-1871-Red-Sox?

George & Harry Wright started it all. First Free Agents to leave Cincinnati. (Asa Brainard nonewithstanding)

;)

Pardon me, I just got my history book taken away from me again.

Raisor
03-28-2006, 05:03 PM
If Jack Clark would come out of retirement, the Redsox could be the Pep Boys!

Manny, (Willy)Mo, and jack!

PTBNL
03-28-2006, 05:06 PM
KILL! KILL! KILL! :angry:

KronoRed
03-28-2006, 05:07 PM
KILL! KILL! KILL! :angry:
Where's the love? ;)

Puffy
03-28-2006, 05:07 PM
If Jack Clark would come out of retirement, the Redsox could be the Pep Boys!

Manny, (Willy)Mo, and jack!

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-12/916060/raisor.jpg

Raisor
03-28-2006, 05:09 PM
Just sayin

PTBNL
03-28-2006, 05:10 PM
Where's the love? ;)

For whom?
For the Reds - it's right here baby! :luvu:
This is going to be a good game. Hopefully no one will get socked. :laugh:

Gainesville Red
03-28-2006, 05:37 PM
no radio?

blumj
03-28-2006, 05:52 PM
Awfully hospitable of the Reds to go along with the DH thing this close to the season. I'm sure Big Papi is grateful.

PTBNL
03-28-2006, 05:59 PM
It helps us as well. Without Freel we could lose this one.

:laugh:

membengal
03-28-2006, 06:04 PM
It's on the radio, and on XM 184.

I don't have a real good feeling about Dave Williams against that particular line-up.

At. all.

(not that I will have a real good feeling for him on other nights)

flyer85
03-28-2006, 06:06 PM
Womack 1st and Freel 8th. Maybe we could see that quite a bit.

PTBNL
03-28-2006, 06:09 PM
He's going to stay back in Sarasota for the 1st go around and get some work in. The Reds will start out on a 4-man.

EDIT: In response to Membengal

Gainesville Red
03-28-2006, 06:14 PM
It's on the radio, and on XM 184.

I don't have a real good feeling about Dave Williams against that particular line-up.

At. all.

(not that I will have a real good feeling for him on other nights)

Why does it not show up on MLB audio (I think my only option) if it's on the radio and on XM?

Is there some sort of rule that they can only play so many on MLB.com or something?

I don't get it.

Caveat Emperor
03-28-2006, 06:14 PM
Alright, I'll kick some PBP in for a while...

Bottom of the 1st...

1.) Tony Womack strikes out. Nice to see that he's already in midseason form. Hopefully his real midseason form will be one to authorize collection of unemployment. 1 out.

2.) Felipe Lopez grounds out to Choi after going full. Reds fans grind their teeth collectively at the thought of him passing through waivers with nary a peep from the boys of Pete Rose Way. 2 out.

3.) Ken Griffey Jr. takes the count full as well before flying out to Wily Mo Pena. After noticing that it was Pena charging on the ball, Griffey started hustling down to first base, knowing full well that there was a better than 50/50 chance it was going to fall for a base hit no matter how much time Pena had to set up under it. Sadly, Wily Mo makes the play. Theo Epstein chuckles from the visitor's box. 3 out.

Heading to the 2nd, let's get some fun news from the Reds beat.

SanDiegoRed
03-28-2006, 06:19 PM
I just bought Game day audio and the dang game is not on! Whats up with that MLB?

Caveat Emperor
03-28-2006, 06:21 PM
Heading to the 2nd...

1.) Manny Ramirez sends a Dave Williams pitch to the cheapies. Bronson Arroyo consols Dave, telling him "That's just Manny being Manny." 1-0 Yawkey Boys.

2.) Wily Mo Pena steps in to the box, meanign there is something like a 33% chance that he'll be striking out. Williams induces the pop-up on the infield. Boston fans "Oooh" and "Aaaah" at the power displayed in the popup. Half of RedsZone grumbles about the trade anyway. 1 out.

Marty and Marc discusses Brian Buchanan's chances of making the opening day roster. Answer is not likely.

3.) Hee Seop Choi pops up on the infield. Scott Hatteberg grins smugly. 2 out.

4.) Enrique Wilson steps in as the discussion turns to Eric Milton. Marty and Marc Lancaster dance around the obvious "He sucks" and exchange meaningless cliches. Wilson flies out to end the inning. Dave Williams lives to fight another day. 3 outs.

Heading to the home half of the 2nd, Boston Boys 1, Reds 0.

Gainesville Red
03-28-2006, 06:24 PM
I just bought Game day audio and the dang game is not on! Whats up with that MLB?

Yeah, I feel your pain. I don't understand why it's on the radio, and people can hear it on XM radio, but not on Game day audio. That sucks.

Damn, I wasted my 1,000th post complaining about mlb.com. I wanted to save it for a Griffey or Dunn HR, or something cooler than complaining.

SanDiegoRed
03-28-2006, 06:25 PM
I joined in April 2001 and have 36 points? Who did I tick off? (Kelvin finally paying attention to such things (-:) But seriously does anyone here go back to the old fastball days? I think that's how I ended up here?

Caveat Emperor
03-28-2006, 06:29 PM
Bottom of the 2nd, the Reds find themselves in familiar territory: trailing.

1.) Adam Dunn leads off with a rocket one-hopper off the wall that Pena plays on the short hop, holding Dunn to a single with a good throw. 15 new posts are immediately authored on cincinnatireds.com about Dunn not hustling, Dunn striking out too much, and Dunn eating children. 1 on, 0 outs.

2.) Edwin Encarnacion up to bat, Adam Dunn breaks out a copy of the Tampa Tribune to wait as Clement dilberately works. Encarnacion strikes out swinging, proving that he is, indeed mortal. In the dugout, Jerry Narron informs him of some great real-estate opportunities in Louisville. 1 out.

3.) Scott Hatteberg, acutely aware of how much Reds fans miss the Mayor, grounds into a Casey play to make everyone feel at home.

Reds down 1-0, heading to the 3rd.

captainmorgan07
03-28-2006, 06:31 PM
where does everybody get this dunn not hustling at

Caveat Emperor
03-28-2006, 06:35 PM
Top of the 3rd...

1.) Alex Cora belts a Dave William pitch into the cheap seats. If I'm going to be doing play by play on a regular basis this year, I may as just leave that sentence on the clipboard to save myself some typing time. 2-0 Boston

2.) Josh Bard gets in on the action by hitting a base hit back up the middle. Dave Williams consoles himself that in the regular season that would be a judy hitting pitcher, which he feels confident about his ability to retire on a semi-regular basis. The other 8 hitters? Anybody's guess. 1 on, 0 outs.

3.) Coco Crips milks a dribbler back to Edwin Encarnacion who makes a glovely play, firing him out at first. The runner advances, and Eddie-E talks trash, saying he always preferred Fruit Loops growing up. 2nd base, 1 out.

4.) Kevin Youklis, Greek God of Walks, hits a soft line drive back to Scott Hatteberg. Billy Beane and Theo Epstein both swoon anyway. 2 outs.

5.) Big Papi draws a Dave Williams walk. That's always a good thing, because I'm betting if Williams actually tried pitching to him, the baseball would disrupt satellite signals that I'm listening to the game on. 2 outs, men on 1st and 2nd.

6.) Manny Ramirez gets caught admiring the upper-80s velocity from Dave Williams and forgets to swing at strike 3. He immediately charges towards the closest member of the Boston media and demands a trade. Everyone has a good laugh and then it's back to the dugout for his glove (not like it really helps him to have it on). Inning ends.

Going to the bottom half of the frame, it's now Boston 2, Reds 0.

membengal
03-28-2006, 06:36 PM
Dude, it's Alex Cora! His homerun power is legendary. No reason to think he would do anything other than homer...

gm
03-28-2006, 06:41 PM
does anyone here go back to the old fastball days?

ChipR, westofyou and your's truly. There may be others

SanDiegoRed
03-28-2006, 06:43 PM
GM I am trying to remember..when did Fastball end? I had been a member of that for years..

Caveat Emperor
03-28-2006, 06:45 PM
In the bottom of the 3rd, and the Reds are now down 2-0. But, they're cool with that, for some reason.

1.) Brian Buchanan steps in, the living embodiment of the age-old wisdom that you should never trust spring training numbers for anyone. He gives a weak attempt at a Clement breaking ball and strikes out swinging. Brian makes a quick stop over at the pet store to buy a snake before opening his locker tonight. 2 outs.

2.) Ryan Freel continues his hot spring by hitting a scrappy pop fly into the outfield for an out. Jerry Narron tells him those pop flies are just too valuable to let into games every night. 2 outs.

3.) Dave Ross up to bat and hits a drive down the right field that just hooks foul. Wait...wait...MY GOD! It's ANOTHER UMPIRE! He's gonna overrule him, by God! It's a Dave Ross Home Run! Dave Ross Home Run! My God! My God! The Reds now trail only 2-1. Jim Ross, apologies.

4.) Tony Womack does what Tony Womack does best: makes an out. He continues the wrestling theme by ripping his jersey off and revealing an "OPS Sucks!" shirt, to the booing crowd. 3 outs

Reds chip away, the Boston lead is down to 1. 2-1

Falls City Beer
03-28-2006, 06:48 PM
ChipR, westofyou and your's truly. There may be others

Krusty, me--I'm sure there are others.

Fastball was kaput by late 1999, IIRC.

Chip R
03-28-2006, 06:49 PM
GM I am trying to remember..when did Fastball end? I had been a member of that for years..

1999 or 2000, I think. 15Fan, M2, Krusty and princeton all came over from there too.

gm
03-28-2006, 06:50 PM

'98, '99...somewhere in there...frankly I've lost track of how many Red's forums we've journeyed through

Caveat Emperor
03-28-2006, 06:51 PM
Top of the 4th, Dave Williams still standing (though he's way behind in points right now)...

1.) Wily Mo Pena steps into bat. True story, I once brought a "Wily Mo Pena-ful to watch" sign to the GABP when he was just a dead smear on the bench a few years back. Pena smacks a double down the right field line. I mentioned in another thread that Pena's GB/FB ratio is 1.5/1, which should be troubling given the kind of hitter he should be. Oh well, he's on 2nd now, and that's why I'm not in charge of a baseball team. 0 outs, man on 2nd.

2.) Dave Williams catches Hee Seop Choi admiring his 88 MPH junkball for strike 3. RedsZone still wishes Choi was wearing a different shade of Red jersey anyway. Wayne Krivsky gives Scott Hatteberg a "You're the man" point from the owner's box. 1 out.

3.) Enrique Wilson puts a charge into one out to right field, but it doesn't quite have the distance. Ryan Freel makes a scrappy put out and holds the runner on 2nd. 2 outs.

4.) Alex Cora hits a weak grounder back to the pitcher and Dave Williams records the put out. Cora shrugs and trots back to the dugout, knowing the Williams has already suffered the ultimate indignity of having given up a home run to Alex Cora.

In the 4th, Reds 1, Red Sox 2.

KronoRed
03-28-2006, 06:56 PM
Hatteberg would have totally grounded that one out in a manly fashion

Caveat Emperor
03-28-2006, 06:58 PM
Matt Clement returns to the mound, ever vigilant that a John Wilks Booth look-alike might emerge to cause trouble...

1.) Felipe Lopez leads things off with a line drive right to Alex Cora for the first out. Jerry Narron sighs and reminds reporters that RIGHT THERE is the reason why only Tony Womack should be allowed to lead off innings. Laughter ensues. 1 out

2.) Ken Griffey Jr. hits a looping liner to Hee Seop Choi, the ball bounces out of Choi's glove and ends up falling to the turf. It's a base hit for Ken Griffey Jr., putting a man on base for He Who Makes Mortals Tremble. 1 on, 1 out.

3.) Adam Dunn, He Who Makes Mortals Tremble, steps into the box. On first, Griffey asks Choi what it was like playing on a team that didn't crap the bed in the World Baseball Classic. Count goes full, because Matt Clement likes throwing pitches, and Dunn strikes out. 2 outs.

4.) Edwin Encarnacion up next, and hits a shot just down the line for a foul ball. A little league dad in the crowd yells "Just straighten it out, son!" Instead, Edwin pops it out and leaves Griffey stranded on 1st. End of the inning.

Heading off to the 5th, the Reds still on the frowning side of the scoreboard.

Chip R
03-28-2006, 06:59 PM
Awfully hospitable of the Reds to go along with the DH thing this close to the season. I'm sure Big Papi is grateful.

Obviously Narron suckered them into that deal by making sure that they would let the Reds use the DH when they play there if the Sox could use the DH tonight. ;)

Dunner44
03-28-2006, 07:00 PM
Obviously Narron suckered them into that deal by making sure that they would let the Reds use the DH when they play there if the Sox could use the DH tonight. ;)

Oh Jerry, you're so sneaky....

blumj
03-28-2006, 07:02 PM
Oh Jerry, you're so sneaky....
So, that's what he learned from Grady Little. There had to be something.

Gallen5862
03-28-2006, 07:08 PM
Thanks for doing the pbp.

Caveat Emperor
03-28-2006, 07:09 PM
Now in the top of the 5th, with Dave Williams still dealing. Marty notes that Dave Williams is slated to head to extended spring training, which makes absolutely no sense.

1.) Josh Bard grounds to Edwin Encarnacion, who makes the put out across the diamond. 1 out.

2.) Coco Crisp smokes the ball down the right field line, all the way to the wall. Crisp smokes around the basepath before stopping at 2nd with a double. He declares himself part of this complete breakfast. 1 out, man on 2nd.

3.) Kevin Youklis, Greek God of Walks, steps up on the mortal plane and does what he does best: takes a free pass down to first. The OPS ticks up another point -- Reds fans look at Youklis, then look at Williams, and merely shake their head in disgust over the Casey deal. 1st and 2nd, 1 out.

4.) David Ortiz hits a soft liner into left field. He tell Williams that he loves it when you call him Big Papi (throw the hands in the ayyyeer, if you a true playeeeer). Crisp has to hold at 3rd, and now the sacks are juiced for Manny Ramirez. I predict bad things happening shortly. Sacks full, 1 out.

5.) Manny Ramirez hits a deep fly ball that stays in the park. Crisp scores from 3rd to put the Red Sox back up by 2. Youklis moves to 2nd. Dave Williams not out of the woods yet as Wily Mo "I eat Lefties for Breakfast" Pena steps in. 1st and 3rd, 2 outs.

6.) For the briefest of seconds, the Universe falls into perfect allignment and the inner beauty of creation shines upon as all, as Wily Modesto Pena, 24 from Laguna Salda, DR takes a walk. The choirs of angels sing as Wily Mo jogs to first base in his "Took a Walk" trot. Pena wonders what the big deal is. Theo Epstein sheds a tear of joy. Bases Loaded, 2 outs.

7.) Hee Seop Choi grounds out weakly to end the inning. Apparently they don't read "Casey at the Bat" over in Korea. There'll be no joy in Seol tonight.

Heading to the home half of the 5th, it's the Boys on the Docks 3, Reds 1.

PTBNL
03-28-2006, 07:14 PM
Thanks for doing the pbp.

Ditto - stuck in a meeting, BUT no one in my office can see my computer screen right now :thumbup:

Dunner44
03-28-2006, 07:22 PM
6.) For the briefest of seconds, the Universe falls into perfect allignment and the inner beauty of creation shines upon as all, as Wily Modesto Pena, 24 from Laguna Salda, DR takes a walk. The choirs of angels sing as Wily Mo jogs to first base in his "Took a Walk" trot. Pena wonders what the big deal is. Theo Epstein sheds a tear of joy. Bases Loaded, 2 outs.

I damn near choked on my gum.. :thumbup:

Chip R
03-28-2006, 07:22 PM
Now in the top of the 5th, with Dave Williams still dealing. Marty notes that Dave Williams is slated to head to extended spring training, which makes absolutely no sense.

It may not make sense but at least he is pitching down there instead of up here.

Caveat Emperor
03-28-2006, 07:23 PM
Bottom of the 5th now. Marty Brennamen reads an ad for the Reds calendar, stating that Austin Kearns is "Mr. February," which I find funny, since (historically) the best month that Kearns has is the one right before the season starts when everyone says "Man, this HAS to be his year..."

1.) Scott Hatteberg flexes those giant OPS-creating muscles and hits a weak line drive into the outfield for an out. He and Tony Womack pose for a photo in the calendar as "Mr. Anti-OBPs 2006" when he gets back to the dugout. 1 out.

Marty notes that Hee Seop Choi was helped to the dugout with a medical problem. Likely a strained ego, but he should be day-to-day with that.

2.) Brian Buchanan hits a double to the wall, hustling into 2nd and beating a throw. Ryan Freel sues for Scrappiness Infringement, but Jerry Narron tells him he's just too valuable to the club to allow him use of the team attorney. He mutters and steps into the batters box. 1 out, man on 2nd.

3.) Ryan Freel steps in. Marty gets "on his soapbox" and takes the Reds to task for 'allowing' the Red Sox to use the DH in their park. He claims that it sends the wrong message, that there are some NL teams that are open to the idea of a DH, which is a dumb rule. RedsZone fans hope Marty falls off the soapbox and injures his vocal chords. The idiocy is astounding -- the DH is going to be a rule throughout baseball within the next 10-20 years, that's just the way it's going to be. It'd be a great concession to offer the player's union -- the prospect of an additional 15 starting jobs for ballplayers in the NL. Ugh. Ryan Freel takes a walk...a scrappy walk. 1st and 2nd, 1 out.

4.) Dave Ross with a LINE DRIVE BASE HIT! Brian Buchanan runs in to score and bring the deficit back to 1. Ryan Freel moves up to 2nd. Ross, dare I say, Basheming the ball all over the place tonight. Men on 1st and 2nd, 1 out. 1 run in.

5.) Tony Womack continues his OBP limbo -- how low can he go -- by popping weakly on the infield. He really was a great tud of a going away present by Dan O'Brien -- like a fruitcake on Christmas from that aunt you don't really like. 2 outs, men on 1st and 2nd.

6.) Felipe Lopez up with a chance to make some noise at the dish. Marty goes over all of the pitching prospects that the Reds didn't get, but does note that Terry Francona didn't want to give up Arroyo either. I'm sure he'll keep his disappointment in check somehow with the giant world series ring around his finger. Felipe Lopez strikes out swinging to end the inning. Sometimes I forget whether it's the right or the left side that he sucks hitting from. Oh well.

Reds creep back to within 1 run, which means it's time for Boston to hit another home run.

reds44
03-28-2006, 07:25 PM
Bottom of the 5th now. Marty Brennamen reads an ad for the Reds calendar, stating that Austin Kearns is "Mr. February," which I find funny, since (historically) the best month that Kearns has is the one right before the season starts when everyone says "Man, this HAS to be his year..."

1.) Scott Hatteberg flexes those giant OPS-creating muscles and hits a weak line drive into the outfield for an out. He and Tony Womack pose for a photo in the calendar as "Mr. Anti-OBPs 2006" when he gets back to the dugout. 1 out.

Marty notes that Hee Seop Choi was helped to the dugout with a medical problem. Likely a strained ego, but he should be day-to-day with that.

2.) Brian Buchanan hits a double to the wall, hustling into 2nd and beating a throw. Ryan Freel sues for Scrappiness Infringement, but Jerry Narron tells him he's just too valuable to the club to allow him use of the team attorney. He mutters and steps into the batters box. 1 out, man on 2nd.
:laugh:

Heath
03-28-2006, 07:26 PM
CE-I am not worthy.

memo to CE - don't blow all the goodlines early - we got a whole season ahead of us...pace yourself!! :D :thumbup:

traderumor
03-28-2006, 07:27 PM
CE uses more words in one inning of his pbp than Nuxie provides in an entire four game series.

Hoosier Red
03-28-2006, 07:28 PM
Bad news CE, you are required to do PBP all season, it just has to happen.
It may be the only thing that gets us through this thing.

Matt700wlw
03-28-2006, 07:30 PM
Abad is going to hit for Junior.

As far as I know, everything is fine.

scounts22
03-28-2006, 07:31 PM
Top of the 3rd...

3.) Coco Crips milks a dribbler back to Edwin Encarnacion who makes a glovely play, firing him out at first. The runner advances, and Eddie-E talks trash, saying he always preferred Fruit Loops growing up. 2nd base, 1 out.

Dude, nice word. And I'm loving your play-by-play. I think I've laughed out loud 3 times now! :D :thumbup:

Tommyjohn25
03-28-2006, 07:33 PM
Abad is going to hit for Junior.

As far as I know, everything is fine.

Oh no. :pray:

blumj
03-28-2006, 07:35 PM
He really was a great tud of a going away present by Dan O'Brien -- like a fruitcake on Christmas from that aunt you don't really like. 2 outs, men on 1st and 2nd.
I'd eat the fruitcake happily if it would make the Yankees have to take him back.

Caveat Emperor
03-28-2006, 07:37 PM
In the top of the 6th, the Reds are down to 3-2. Here comes the changes: Matt Kata comes in, Andy Abad comes in, Mena-Mena-Not gonna be here next week comes in, and Rick White takes over on the mound. God I love spring training -- it's like all of these names steppd out of "Bases Loaded" baseball from the NES.

1.) Enrique Wilson hits a double to Matt Kata. Marty criticizes the outing by Dave Williams as "Getting his work in" (aka "not good") -- last year, I'd have taken 5 IP, 3 ERs any day of the week. It sure beats being down by 10 runs after the 3rd.

2.) Alex Cora hits another double, driving another run in. There is an apparent comedy of errors regarding the throw in. Rick, not exactly lighting things up right now. Reds Sox back up by 2.

3.) Josh Bard hits a chopper and gets thrown out. Then, following the put out, a quick throw to 3rd comes close to getting Cora out. Cora, apparently convinced of his own sucking so much that he cannot fathom himself NOT being thrown out in such a fasion, walks off the base anyway and is tagged out again to make the out. It's a double play that goes something to something to something. I don't know the symbol for "Base Runner is a Moron," so I can't really tell you. 2 outs.

4.) Coco Crisp hits a ball to Frank Mena-Mena-Not Gonna be here next week, who promptly lives up to his nickname by booting the ball. Rich Aurillia claps from the dugout and proudly tells the first row of fans "He learned it all from me." It's an E6.

Crisp, to add insult to injury, swipes 2nd base where he can be closer to Frank to talk trash.

5.) Kevin Youklis, Greek God of Walks, steps into the box. Steve Stewart states it'll be "interesting" to see how the rotation will be. Marty says nobody knows how the Reds are going to be this year. The answer, Marty, is bad. Very...Very...Very Bad. At least Aaron Harang will mean that you're guaranteed a decent ball game once per week. Youklis hits a fly ball out to Freel to end the inning.

One step forward, one step back, as the Red Sox go back up by 2 at 4-2.

RedLegSuperStar
03-28-2006, 07:38 PM
Brian Buchanan.. this guy is tearing it up.. yes spring training stats don't count but he has hit nearly everyone and everything for that matter. We all liked Bobby Estalella last year and were pulling for him.. I'd lean towards BB over Cruz/McCracken for the 4th OF spot

traderumor
03-28-2006, 07:41 PM
How did the Reds score run 2?

Caveat Emperor
03-28-2006, 07:46 PM

Dave Ross hit an RBI single an inning or so back.

remdog
I joined in April 2001 and have 36 points? Who did I tick off? (Kelvin finally paying attention to such things (-:) But seriously does anyone here go back to the old fastball days? I think that's how I ended up here?

Me, 15 Fan, M2. I think Princeton was there too.

Rem

Dunner44

This way:

3.) Ryan Freel steps in. Marty gets "on his soapbox" and takes the Reds to task for 'allowing' the Red Sox to use the DH in their park. He claims that it sends the wrong message, that there are some NL teams that are open to the idea of a DH, which is a dumb rule. RedsZone fans hope Marty falls off the soapbox and injures his vocal chords. The idiocy is astounding -- the DH is going to be a rule throughout baseball within the next 10-20 years, that's just the way it's going to be. It'd be a great concession to offer the player's union -- the prospect of an additional 15 starting jobs for ballplayers in the NL. Ugh. Ryan Freel takes a walk...a scrappy walk. 1st and 2nd, 1 out.

4.) Dave Ross with a LINE DRIVE BASE HIT! Brian Buchanan runs in to score and bring the deficit back to 1. Ryan Freel moves up to 2nd. Ross, dare I say, Basheming the ball all over the place tonight. Men on 1st and 2nd, 1 out. 1 run in.

Caveat Emperor
03-28-2006, 07:50 PM
It's the bottom of the 6th, where everyone wishes spring training would end already. Thank god for names on the backs of the jerseys. Clement still dealing

1.) Andy Abad with the AB. Marty comments that he'll be part of what should be a "very good" Louisville team. Well, it's good to know that the franchise has it's priorities straight: signing players to make sure that the Bats get back to championship baseball. Abad takes a walk. 1 on, 0 outs.

2.) Adam Dunn, He Who Makes Mortals Tremble (and occasionally sparks heated internet debates), steps into the box. Marty, as if on cue, starts talking about how often the team strikes out. Adam Dunn, as if to insert a silent "Fudge You" into the conversation, takes a walk and flexes the OBP. Marty, never one to stop a good rant, keeps going anyway about putting the ball in play. It's official: all the haircare products have gone to his head.

3.) Easy Edwin Encarnacion is up next. Proving that he's going to be a damn good player, he observes Matt's First Rule of Batting After a Pitcher Has Given Up 2 Consecutive Walks, and starts his at bat out by taking pitches and works to a full count. Speaking of pitches, Clement has to be getting close to 100 pitches -- he hasn't had a quick AB at all tonight. Terry Francona apparently took the Dusty Baker "Winning Pitching" correspondance school this summer. Easy-E strikes out on Ball 4. Still 2 on, 1 out.

4.) Frank Menachino, he of the .100-something batting average, waves as he walks into the batters box -- just happy to be there. He makes me eat my taunting nickname by lining a BASE HIT into centerfield, scoring Andy Abad!! Reds 3, Boston 4!! Adam Dunn moves into 2nd. Marty, currently busy telling a story about Mean Gene Okerlund. That figures, the Reds would have a better chance of winning games if Vince McMahon was booking the league.

5.) I think it's Brian Buchanan who hits a rocket to Short. Alex Cora takes the play to 3rd, but the ball hits Adam Dunn in the back. It's an E-6! It's bases loaded, and it's time for a pitching change!

Manny Del-Carmen gets some face time in the game thread as he comes on to pitch for Clement.

6.) Ryan Freel scraps towards the batters box. Marty complains that Boston has yet to release a media guide. I'm guessing that they just didn't give HIM one. Ryan Freel takes a BASE ON BALLS to DRIVE IN A RUN! An RBI WALK for Freel! Take that all you "we need more contact hitters" types! It's a tie ballgame at 4-4!

7.) Dave Ross steps into the batter's box, with the sacks just chalk-full of Reds. It's a WILD PITCH and Menachino comes racing in home and another run scores, with the REDS IN THE LEAD! Terry Francona immediately institutes a Pitch to Contact program, inducing a ground ball from Dave Ross. All hands remain. 2nd and 3rd with 2 outs.

8.) Tony Womack (Boo Hiss!) hits a line drive base hit! He's running to second, and two runs are going to score. VORP tells me that anybody else but Tony Womack would probably have hit a Home Run there, if he managed a single. Still, as a Reds fan, I'll take it. Reds up now 7-4!

9.) Matt Kata steps in as the 9th man to bat in the inning and then promptly strikes out. I blame Tony Womack anyway.

Reds get work done and are now in charge 7-4.

Tony Cloninger
03-28-2006, 07:53 PM
I was on the Fastball site.... I was Vada Pinson.

That Joe Nunally trade was the highlight of the season.
Also the Ray Knight death watch.... hoping it would happen sooner than later.

This PBP is the "best PBP ever".

westofyou
03-28-2006, 07:57 PM
That Joe Nunally trade was the highlight of the season.

And the infamous blowup in the clubhouse between Knight and Mike Morgan.

Falls City Beer
03-28-2006, 07:58 PM
The photo of Ray Knight hugging Deion on the way out the door still gives me the collywobbles.

Raisor
03-28-2006, 08:00 PM
2.) Adam Dunn, He Who Makes Mortals Tremble (and occasionally sparks heated internet debates), steps into the box. Marty, as if on cue, starts talking about how often the team strikes out. Adam Dunn, as if to insert a silent "Fudge You" into the conversation, takes a walk and flexes the OBP. Marty, never one to stop a good rant, keeps going anyway about putting the ball in play. It's official: all the haircare products have gone to his head.

K's+softwalks(0 sac flied)=Brigadoon

blumj
03-28-2006, 08:01 PM
Everyone on your best behavior, company's coming.

Raisor
03-28-2006, 08:02 PM
Everyone on your best behavior, company's coming.

I don't care who's coming over, I'm not putting on any pants.

Falls City Beer
03-28-2006, 08:05 PM
http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Wrestling/2005/07/27/okerlund_gene.jpg

He's no Gordon Solie.

templeusox
03-28-2006, 08:05 PM
Go Reds

ox

Falls City Beer
03-28-2006, 08:07 PM
Go Reds

ox

We don't serve droids.

It's a joke. Of course we serve droids.

Caveat Emperor
03-28-2006, 08:10 PM
We don't serve droids.

It's a joke. Of course we serve droids.

Eh, he's not the droid you're looking for.

KronoRed
03-28-2006, 08:12 PM
We need to sign CE to a long term deal as PBP guy.

Offer him incentives, cookies, whatever he wants.

Caveat Emperor
03-28-2006, 08:13 PM
Onwards to the top of the 7th, and it's Ryan Wagner to take the hill for the Reds. His reward: getting to pitch to David Ortiz. Some nights, you just wish they'd leave you in the bullpen. Frank Menachino takes over at 2nd, Jeff Bannon moves over to short as the parade of no-names continues.

1.) David Ortiz, He Who Makes Buffet Proprietors Tremble, steps into the batters box. One reason the DH will never go away is that somebody would have to tell this guy that he's out of a job, and I really don't think anyone's going to volunteer for that job. Ortiz draws a walk and trots on down to first base. 1 on, 0 out.

2.) Frank Pinknee (?) is up next. Adam Stern, whom you might remember as being the guy who robbed Chase Utley of extra-bases in the WBC, takes over running for Big Papi. Pinknee grounds into the 4-6-3 double play. SOSH members groan and talk about yet another "Ground into Pinknee Play." Runners erased, 0 on, 2 out.

3.) Wily Mo Pena whiffs at a breaking ball. Get used to that, Boston fans. Ken Griffey Jr. goes over to the Boston media to inform them "That's just Wily Being Wily." He then drags Bronson Arroyo out of the Red Sox dugout, where he's been trying to hide for over 3 innings.

Onward and upward, Reds still in control 7-4.

pedro
03-28-2006, 08:15 PM
K's+softwalks(0 sac flied)=Brigadoon

I like Brigadoon.

I just went looking for it.

pedro
03-28-2006, 08:16 PM
The photo of Ray Knight hugging Deion on the way out the door still gives me the collywobbles.

http://reds.enquirer.com/img/photos/072697knightdeion_500x417.jpg

Falls City Beer
03-28-2006, 08:17 PM
:cry:

Dunner44
03-28-2006, 08:19 PM
3.) Wily Mo Pena whiffs at a breaking ball. Get used to that, Boston fans. Ken Griffey Jr. goes over to the Boston media to inform them "That's just Wily Being Wily." He then drags Bronson Arroyo out of the Red Sox dugout, where he's been trying to hide for over 3 innings.

:notworthy:

Falls City Beer
03-28-2006, 08:19 PM
Ray Knight's face looks like a mid-80s satellite dish.

Caveat Emperor
03-28-2006, 08:20 PM
It's the bottom of the 7th, hope you got your stretching in.

1.) Andy ABad steps into the batter's box. Abad strikes out, which is certainly better for him than walking since he's the "AB" man, not the Plate Appearence man. 1 out.

2.) Jacob Cruz steps in for another pinch hit opportunity, which he's been beyond poor at doing this spring. He hits a hot smash back to the Greek God of Walks, who flips onto the pitcher for an error, as Del Carmen drops the ball. Somebody'll be watching Tom Emanski's "Defensive Drills" video later tonight...or on the bus ride back to Pauwtuckett, his choice. E1, 1 on, 1 out.

3.) Edwin Encarnacion gets caught looking by a Manny DelCarmen pitch. It has not been one of Eddie's better evenings thus far. He heads back to the dugout, getting suspicious as Rich Aurillia and Jerry Narron stop talking just as he gets back into the dugout. 1 on, 2 out.

4.) Frank Mena-Mena-Not Gonna Be Here Next Week hits a line drive to the 2nd baseman to end the inning. Sometimes it's hard to perform when the outcome is a forgone conclusion, I suppose -- though Ric Flair seems to be cool with going out there and losing constantly.

Heading to the 8th, it's Reds 7, Red Sox 4.

PTBNL
03-28-2006, 08:20 PM
Dude, nice word. And I'm loving your play-by-play. I think I've laughed out loud 3 times now! :D :thumbup:

If he doesn't I am coming after him! ;)

Hey CE, did Marty really say that Francona said that? Because he was quoted twice that he voted him off the island.

pedro
03-28-2006, 08:22 PM
Ray Knight's face looks like a mid-80s satellite dish.

Looks like he got the yanimamo board treatment

Dunner44
03-28-2006, 08:23 PM
What CE fails to see is that he miscapitalized Andy ABad's name. It doesn't stand for An At Bat, but really is a secret indication of where he'll spend the rest of his baseball career.... Andy AbAd.

Caveat Emperor
03-28-2006, 08:28 PM
Ryan Wagner takes the hill again for the Reds, looking for a 2nd inning of good things.

1.) Barrington? Harrington? Durrington, I think... I don't know, he's from Australia, though. He hits a hot smash back to Edwin Encarnacion and is gunned out from across the infield. He was just confused because in Australia, the breaking ball spins counter clockwise. 1 out.

2.) Enrique Wilson gets a base hit off Wagner. It's a 50/50 shot when you're batting against Ryan: Fastball or Slider. Wilson happened to guess correctly, it seems. 1 on, 1 out.

3.) Alex Cora up, already talking with misty eyes about "That time I hit a home run in a spring training game way back in the day." Cora grounds out to the first base side, with Abad underhanding to Wagner for the out. They practice that play every day. Runner to 2nd, 2 outs.

4.) Josh Bard hits a line drive out back to the 2nd baseman for an out. Someday, they'll sing songs about that at bat in the taverns around the nation.

Ryan, quietly lobbying for the closers job after a second strong inning of work. Heading to the home 8th, Reds still up by 3.

KittyDuran
03-28-2006, 08:30 PM
He was just confused because in Australia, the breaking ball spins counter clockwise. :laugh:

Caveat Emperor
03-28-2006, 08:35 PM
Lenny Dinardo becomes the 3rd pitcher for the Boston Red Sox. His parents were apparently dyslexic and attempting to name him after Leonardo Dicaprio. Boston inserts some subs, but really -- who cares.

1.) Brian Buchanan with a hot smash up the middle and is thrown out in a close play at first. Jerry Narron could've probably argued it with the umpire, but he was too busy ordering a "#1 Leadoff Man" T-Shirt for Tony Womack. 1 out.

2.) Ryan Freel with a scrappy base hit, as he continues his hot spring. 1 on, 1 out.

3.) William Bergolla makes an appearence -- which is a good thing, because I was about ready to start a Milk Carton campaign to see if anyone knew where the hell he was. Ryan Freel, excited to see the WB in the house, makes it a real celebration by swiping 2nd base. Bergolla takes a walk, showing off the plate discpline he learned while travelling parts unknown. 2 on, 1 out.

Ryan Freel decides to dabble in a little additional larceny by swiping 3rd base, getting his 9th stolen base of the spring. I know this, because the little voice in the background that provides unbiased information during the broadcast said so.

4.) Jeff Bannon hits a double to SCORE Ryan Freel from 3rd. Bergolla cruises into 3rd to replace him. Bannon with the late-inning March heroics, driving in another run. 2nd and 3rd, 1 out. 8-4 Reds!

5.) Matt Kata in at the bat. I wonder if, in the batters box, he practices his forms while wearing his warmup Gi. I guess we'll never know, as he swings and misses for a strikeout. Belatedly, I wonder where we found all these guys... 2nd and 3rd with 2 outs as Kata fails to hit the all-important sacrifice fly.

A balk is called on Lenny Dinardo as the ball dropped out of his glove. Bergolla scores, Bannon moves to 3rd, and everyone wonders why the heck anyone is calling a balk in an 8-4 game at the end of spring training. 9-4 Reds. RBI to the home plate umpire.

6.) Andy Abad, apparently reading the last segment of game thread, comes through with a Plate Appearence, as he takes a walk going to 1st base. No AB for Abad, but it's not all bad news...

7.) Jacob Cruz, since he's not pinch hitting, rakes with an RBI Base Hit to make the score 10-4 Cincinnati. His teammates chastize him from the dugout for extending the game and costing them several quality hours of drinking.

8.) Edwin Encarnacion, who apparently did get the memo, goes up and hacks a few times for the quick strikeout. A cheer erupts from both dugouts at the thought of possibly being done before Seinfeld comes on at 9. Inning ends.

Heading to the closing frame, it's a laugher 10-4 Reds.

Gallen5862
03-28-2006, 08:37 PM
Thanks you for making the pbp interesting. I think the "President" Buchanon has performed well this spring and should earn a roster spot.

Northern Red
03-28-2006, 08:38 PM
4.) Josh Bard hits a line drive out back to the 2nd baseman for an out. Someday, they'll sing songs about that at bat in the taverns around the nation.

:laugh: CE leaves no stone unturned for our reading amusement. He even manages to get a Hobbit reference in there. There's something you don't ever expect during a PBP. Well, then again...Marty would be jealous. :D

KronoRed
03-28-2006, 08:38 PM
Bergolla lives.

KittyDuran
03-28-2006, 08:41 PM
I think CE, Redsland and BCubb were separated at birth...;)

KronoRed
03-28-2006, 08:42 PM
I think CE, Redsland and BCubb were separated at birth...;)
RZ should market these guys as the Anti-Marty group :devil:

GADawg
03-28-2006, 08:43 PM

yep, I was there too....I spent more time on the braves board though as I felt the need to hate the braves amongst enemies.:)

Caveat Emperor
03-28-2006, 08:48 PM
Into the 9th, it's time for the Shack-Attack with Brian Shackleford onto pitch... because when your team hasn't figured out who is going to close ballgames, it makes lots of sense to throw out a guy in the 9th who isn't going to make the 25 man. Oh well, not a save situation anyway. William Bergolla stays in the game to play 2nd, Dane Sardinha comes in to catch.

1.) Coco Crisp up to bat first. Marty reminds Reds fans that saturday night contests will now start at 6:05 (as tonight's game did) -- which makes sense: the Reds will sell more concession items if they start the game at dinner time and don't allow fans enough time to grab dinner downtown or at Newport before the game. The Cincinnati Chamber of Commerce grumbles loudly. Count goes full, and Shackleford gets taken to breakfast by Coco Crisp. It's a 1 run toaster, making the score 10-5.

2.) Somebody gets a base hit (Kevin Youkliss -- alright, so maybe he is important) nobody important though. Man on 1st, 0 outs as the Shack Attack seems more like the Shack Smack.

3.) Adam Stern hits a serious fly ball into center field, where it is put away by Ryan Freel. The ballgame comes 1 out blissfully closer to conclusion, and the regular season comes 1 out closer to starting. 1 on, 1 out.

4.) Pin(k/g?)nee up to bat next and strikes out swinging. The Lesson appears to be that Shackleford is very good at striking out hitters destined for the bus routes and very bad at striking out starting center fielders, based on a 1 inning sample size. 1 on, 2 out.

5.) Turner gets a base hit down the line, sending Youkliss to 3rd. Everyone belatedly attempting to remember if they started their TiVos for anything they hoped to be watching at 9 o'clock. Man on 2nd and 3rd, 2 out.

6.) Durrington the Aussie (the first player in major league history to be named Trent -- hopefully he'll be more successful than Trent Dilfer in his respective sport) hits a line drive to the second baseman to end the game...

AND THIS ONE Belongs to the Reds!! A 10-5 spring training victory!

Nugget
03-28-2006, 08:49 PM
1.) Barrington? Harrington? Durrington, I think... I don't know, he's from Australia, though.

Trent Durrington - 3B who will give WMP a run for his money in the Red Sox SO race.

blumj
03-28-2006, 09:00 PM
Trent Durrington - 3B who will give WMP a run for his money in the Red Sox SO race.
From Pawtucket, maybe

Caveat Emperor
03-28-2006, 09:02 PM
That's your ballgame, folks...

Reds win, 10-5. Rick White is your winning pitcher, Matt Clement is your loser.

Your official game-thread attendance is 65, RedsZone and SOSH thank you for your support. Please tip your waitresses on the way out.

Less than a week until these start counting, and it can't happen soon enough! :)

captainmorgan07
03-28-2006, 09:05 PM
sounds like willy mo didn't do to much damage williams really didn't pitch that bad it looks like

smith288
03-28-2006, 09:08 PM
Incredible PBP CE.... I hope I can come to expect such entertaining threads this year.:thumbup:

blumj
03-28-2006, 09:12 PM
Matt Clement is your loser
It did have that playoff game atmosphere, didn't it?
Thank you, CE.

KronoRed
03-28-2006, 09:15 PM
You're in mid season form CE :thumbup:

cumberlandreds
03-28-2006, 09:15 PM
Great PBP,CE! It's some of the best ever. I hope to see more of it when the games really count! :thumbup:
The line about Griffey pulling Arroyo out of the Red Sox dugout was hilarious.:laugh:

PTBNL
03-28-2006, 09:17 PM
Thanks CE - YOU ROCK! :clap:

remdog
03-28-2006, 09:21 PM
Nice job CE. I enjoyed it. Even the Marty-like editorializing. :p:

Rem

Reds1
03-28-2006, 09:35 PM
Reds are for sure scoring runs. The AAA guys are hitting the crap out of the scrubs who would be AAA, AA, or A hopefuls and the ready to get to live games vets. Williams gave up some dingers, but like someone else said 3ER through 5 against Boston or any team is probably not all that bad for the Reds and their 5th starter. :) Bring on the real games.

Didn't like EE tonight! Everyone else hitting and he wiffing. Night all.

Dunner44
03-28-2006, 10:03 PM
Question... Milton had the same line last night... 5 innings, 3 ER, but there was much more wailing and gnashing of teeth... what gives? (Besides their respective salaries?)

KittyDuran
03-28-2006, 10:06 PM
Question... Milton had the same line last night... 5 innings, 3 ER, but there was much more wailing and gnashing of teeth... what gives? (Besides their respective salaries?)the results of the 2005 season...;)

Dunner44
03-28-2006, 10:26 PM
the results of the 2005 season...;)

Yeah, I guess having the third highest ERA since WWII can do that to you. Williams was no prize last year either (though he was no Milton either), and he has shown me less this spring, IMHO.

crazyredsfan
03-28-2006, 10:41 PM
Yeah, I guess having the third highest ERA since WWII can do that to you. Williams was no prize last year either (though he was no Milton either), and he has shown me less this spring, IMHO.

Milton has 25 million reasons why he should be better than he has shown. This is also a lightining rod issue since it was one of many kicks to googlies dealt to all of us here in Redsland by DanO

thorn
03-28-2006, 11:40 PM
Hatteberg would have totally grounded that one out in a manly fashion

Thus advancing the runner to 3rd, which would have scored on a SF.

KronoRed
03-28-2006, 11:50 PM
..or getting the runner hung up between 2nd and 3rd and resulting in a DP

Nugget
03-29-2006, 12:00 AM
Bergolla lives.

According to the Enquirer he needs to make an appearance so he can be optioned to Louisville. You can't be optioned if you are on the DL.