PDA

View Full Version : Bengals Deal for Sam Adams 'imminent'

alex trevino
03-30-2006, 08:16 PM
According to bengals.com

3-30-06, 8 p.m.: It looks like the long-awaited Marvin Lewis-Sam Adams reunion is about to be consummated. A NFL source said Thursday that a three-year deal for one of the league’s elite run stoppers is "imminent," as the Bengals closed in on arguably their biggest free-agent signing ever. It appears the Bengals are on the verge of completing a deal that fills their two biggest needs on defense: a physical/athletic safety and a big body in the middle. The 6-4, 340-pound Adams, who has made three of the last six Pro Bowls, is the prototypical line stuffer the Bengals have sought for years.

WVRed
03-30-2006, 08:19 PM
Samuel Adams, always a good decision.

http://clover.slavic.pitt.edu/~mjw/Images/sam.jpg

OnBaseMachine
03-30-2006, 08:52 PM
The Bengals will win the Super Bowl this year. I hate the NFL, but I have to admit that I did enjoy watching the Bengals offense last year. Adams will be huge for their defense and gives them a better shot at going all the way.

Any chance they draft Darnell Bing? I would love to see another Trojan on the Bengals roster to join Carson Palmer and Ifeanyi Ohalete.

redsfan30
03-30-2006, 08:54 PM
HUGE signing!!!

HUGE!

(Well I guess I should say it would be as it hasn't happened yet)

BUTLER REDSFAN
03-30-2006, 09:49 PM
per espn as of 10pm
Fortifying a position that represented one of their biggest needs, the Cincinnati Bengals on Thursday night reached a contract agreement in principle with unrestricted free-agent defensive tackle Sam Adams, who played the past three seasons with the Buffalo Bills.

Buckeye33
03-30-2006, 09:52 PM
Good signing, but far from making the Bengals a Super Bowl contender. They still need to sure up the safety position imo. Williams is good, and Jackson is decent, but I'd still like them to draft a safety or corner combo in the 1st round.

I'd really like to see Arrington signed, as much as I dislike him, he's a great football player.

They also need to get a speed rushing end who can play 4 downs.

macro
03-30-2006, 10:18 PM
The Bengals will win the Super Bowl this year. I hate the NFL, but I have to admit that I did enjoy watching the Bengals offense last year.

I wouldn't go that far. Schedule is brutal, based on last year's performances, and there's still no guarantee that Palmer won't miss a number of games. I hope he's back 110% by opening day and they do win the Super Bowl, but 9-7 wouldn't surprise me if Palmer plays all 16 games, and 4-12 wouldn't shock me if he misses half the season.

Ibleedblue
03-30-2006, 11:58 PM
Good signing, but far from making the Bengals a Super Bowl contender. They still need to sure up the safety position imo. They might need to draft a safety for the future, but Williams is a pro bowler in the making and Dexter is good enough untill we can develop said drafted safety. Far from a "need" in the immediate future, IMO(barring health issues, which is a legit concern with those 2).

guttle11
03-31-2006, 12:02 AM
Just having his fat butt in the A gaps makes this team worlds better.

deltachi8
03-31-2006, 10:09 AM
Adams is very over-rated. Teams ran all over Buffalo the past couple years, especially when it mattered. The guy is about 3 years past and 30 pounds past his prime.

Puffy
03-31-2006, 10:33 AM
Samuel Adams, always a good decision.

http://clover.slavic.pitt.edu/~mjw/Images/sam.jpg

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-9/825505/cs_samjackson2.jpg

Benihana
03-31-2006, 11:03 AM
They also need to get a speed rushing end who can play 4 downs.

They already got him, his name is David Pollack. If we sign Lavar great, if not I would put Landon Johnson at the other LB spot and play Pollack at DE, as I think they are planning on doing. He was more effective as a DE last year than a LB, which is also where he had success in college. The Adams signing is great in so many ways, my favorite of which is because now for the first time ever the Bengals really can draft simply the best player available (although i'm still hoping for a TE- Pope or Lewis), and we have sured up the two most glaring weaknesses through the signings of Adams and Jackson.

Benihana
03-31-2006, 11:05 AM
Adams is very over-rated. Teams ran all over Buffalo the past couple years, especially when it mattered. The guy is about 3 years past and 30 pounds past his prime.

wrong. Adams only played about half the downs in Buffalo, during which teams could never run inside effectively. Ask any Bills fan, he was hands down their best defensive player the last two years, even after he landed in Mularkey's doghouse in the second half of last year. And his weight is no different than it was the last ten years where he's made more pro bowls than anyone on the current Bengals roster.

beb30
03-31-2006, 11:25 AM
I guess its official:

Bengals to sign DT Adams
BY MARK CURNUTTE | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITER
The Bengals will sign defensive tackle Sam Adams to a three-year contract today, agent Angelo Wright confirmed overnight to the Enquirer.

“We’re pretty close right now,” said Wright, who was headed to Los Angeles for an NFL Players Association meeting. “Three years is correct.”

The 335-pound Adams played for Bengals coach Marvin Lewis when Lewis was coordinator of the Super Bowl-winning Ravens’ defense. Adams should help strengthen the Bengals’ run defense, which had received a boost earlier in free agency when the club signed sure-tackling safety Dexter Jackson.

Adams will team with returning starters John Thornton and Brian Robinson, as well as Shaun Smith, in the tackle rotation.

deltachi8
03-31-2006, 11:41 AM
wrong. Adams only played about half the downs in Buffalo, during which teams could never run inside effectively. Ask any Bills fan, he was hands down their best defensive player the last two years, even after he landed in Mularkey's doghouse in the second half of last year. And his weight is no different than it was the last ten years where he's made more pro bowls than anyone on the current Bengals roster.

i live in buffalo, i deal with bll's fans al the time. the dud is over rated

traderumor
03-31-2006, 11:54 AM
i live in buffalo, i deal with bll's fans al the time. the dud is over ratedNot real sure fans are the best source to be basing talent evaluations on.

deltachi8
03-31-2006, 11:59 AM
Not real sure fans are the best source to be basing talent evaluations on.

why do we write here then? I guess my opinions wont count because they are catually based on seing him play most of the games and in person and being surrounded by team coverage here.

look, im all in favor of the move. Not being a bengals fan, it just means they wasted some money that my team didn't.

SteelSD
03-31-2006, 12:02 PM

In 2005, teams shredded the Bills on the ground. Inside, outside, wherever. Didn't matter. Adams was all but invisible while Bills opponents put up 137.8 Yards per game on the ground, tied for last in the NFL in rushing TD allowed, and 2nd to last in 20+ yard carries.

So what happened?

Well, Pat Williams left the Bills for the Vikings. The Vikings rushing D goes from 4.6 yards per carry on the ground in 2004 to 4.0 YPC in 2005. The Bills rush D goes in the tank and Adams (who had to be benched in 2004 to motivate him) gets into a spat with his coach over not dressing for a game during a season in which his performance declined significantly.

Maybe Marv can motivate the guy, but time has taken it's toll on Adams. Although risky, it's not a bad signing as long as folks don't expect too much of the guy.

traderumor
03-31-2006, 12:09 PM
why do we write here then? I guess my opinions wont count because they are catually based on seing him play most of the games and in person and being surrounded by team coverage here.

look, im all in favor of the move. Not being a bengals fan, it just means they wasted some money that my team didn't.You claimed authority on living in Buffalo and dealing with Bills fans to support an opinion that a player was overrated. To make that claim, you would have to provide more reasons than that. Either that, or my Aunt Shirley that lives in Blue Ash qualifies to say Bronson Arroyo is overrated because she lives there and is surrounded by Reds' fans.

deltachi8
03-31-2006, 12:16 PM
You claimed authority on living in Buffalo and dealing with Bills fans to support an opinion that a player was overrated. To make that claim, you would have to provide more reasons than that. Either that, or my Aunt Shirley that lives in Blue Ash qualifies to say Bronson Arroyo is overrated because she lives there and is surrounded by Reds' fans.

I claimed no authority...i was responded to someone who said "ask any bills fan."

thats all. But have a nice day too.

beb30
03-31-2006, 12:18 PM
While i believe it does help this team and our poor rush defense, i think hes overrated as well, hes 32 yrs old and not getting any younger. Based off the 2005 bills stats that Steel has provided, apparently he didnt do much.....

traderumor
03-31-2006, 12:52 PM
I claimed no authority...i was responded to someone who said "ask any bills fan."

thats all. But have a nice day too.You're right, you were. I see that you have taken my reply as snippy, but it was not my intent. I simply wanted to know why you stated the opinion you did, which those two reasons really are not analytical. Sorry for offending you.

deltachi8
03-31-2006, 02:08 PM
My bad...just having a bad day TR - son is home sick from school. My apologies

Benihana
03-31-2006, 02:10 PM
In 2005, teams shredded the Bills on the ground. Inside, outside, wherever. Didn't matter. Adams was all but invisible while Bills opponents put up 137.8 Yards per game on the ground, tied for last in the NFL in rushing TD allowed, and 2nd to last in 20+ yard carries.

So what happened?

Well, Pat Williams left the Bills for the Vikings. The Vikings rushing D goes from 4.6 yards per carry on the ground in 2004 to 4.0 YPC in 2005. The Bills rush D goes in the tank and Adams (who had to be benched in 2004 to motivate him) gets into a spat with his coach over not dressing for a game during a season in which his performance declined significantly.

Maybe Marv can motivate the guy, but time has taken it's toll on Adams. Although risky, it's not a bad signing as long as folks don't expect too much of the guy.

Incorrect Steel. Adams was benched because he had a "questionable" injury that wasn't released to the public. Instead of risking tweaking it in practice, he preferred to sit out certain drills, which caught the ire of Mularkey. Adams was not benched due to performance. He was not invisible while on the field, he was just double teamed. However because of the rash of injuries to the rest of Buffalo's D (See Takeo Spikes) the remaining players were unable to take advantage of the freed up blocking that Adams presence allowed. With guys like Thurman, Simmons, Pollack, et al, I think this year will be different.

Matt700wlw
03-31-2006, 02:14 PM
The thought of a Bengals DT getting double teamed which allows Justin Smith and David Pollack to pressure the QB gives me goosebumps!

traderumor
03-31-2006, 02:18 PM
My bad...just having a bad day TR - son is home sick from school. My apologies
Hey, you have no need to apologize, I can see how you felt I was being snippy, but thanks anyway, sorry to hear about your son and I hope he feels better soon.

max venable
03-31-2006, 03:09 PM
I'll just say this...as a life-long Bengals fan...I'm thrilled with the signing.

Who Dey!

WVRed
03-31-2006, 04:30 PM
I'll just say this...as a life-long Bengals fan...I'm thrilled with the signing.

Who Dey!

Same here.

This does more for our defense as a whole. He may not shut down the run, but he will free up others to put pressure on the quarterback. This signing benefits David Pollack, Justin Smith, and our linebackers more than anybody.

WVRed
03-31-2006, 09:44 PM
Not good. I smell a Warren Sapp.

Deal for Adams turns sour

By GEOFF HOBSON
March 31, 2006
Posted: 8:45 p.m.

The Bengals have been told that Pro Bowl defensive tackle Sam Adams won't sign with any team immediately as he waits for better numbers and that he'll take a few days or so to re-check the landscape.

In an effort to add one of the NFL's premier run stoppers to their 28th-ranked defense, the Bengals had hoped to sign Adams today.

But as the Bengals tried to hammer out a deal Friday, apparently the Dolphins re-surfaced in the hunt for the Pro Bowl defensive tackle. Adams had shown interest, in the Dolphins, prior to talks with the Bengals.

President Mike Brown and Adams' agent, Angelo Wright, had been talking since Thursday when Wright reportedly told Brown that Adams' planned to go back to Miami, for the weekend, and discuss possible a deal with them.

"I give the Dolphins credit, they're working this hard to make sure they're ready to go when the bell chimes," Wright, told the Bengals. 'We'll wait a day or two to see how things shake out."

Mike Brown stated he'd spent an intense day Friday with Wright over the phone. Brown said the main stumbling block is structure of the deal, with items such as signing bonus at issue.

"We're going to try to keep at it," Brown said. "We'd like to get him here. We think he's a fine player. We just couldn't agree on structure and total dollars. It's difficult for small market teams to compete and we have to be finacially responsible."

MWM
03-31-2006, 10:39 PM
I also thing Adams is over-rated and his better days are far behind him. But I think it would be a decent signing and would be an improvement for the Bengals D. But if he's asking for premium dollars, I hope they're willing to walk away.

CTA513
03-31-2006, 10:46 PM
Not good. I smell a Warren Sapp.

Where did you get that article? because its not on the Bengals website.

Yachtzee
03-31-2006, 10:49 PM
Hobson's the byline, but I can't find it on the website either. You aren't getting an early start on April Fool's are you, WVRed?

SteelSD
04-01-2006, 03:09 AM
Incorrect Steel. Adams was benched because he had a "questionable" injury that wasn't released to the public. Instead of risking tweaking it in practice, he preferred to sit out certain drills, which caught the ire of Mularkey. Adams was not benched due to performance. He was not invisible while on the field, he was just double teamed. However because of the rash of injuries to the rest of Buffalo's D (See Takeo Spikes) the remaining players were unable to take advantage of the freed up blocking that Adams presence allowed. With guys like Thurman, Simmons, Pollack, et al, I think this year will be different.

"Caught the ire"? Adams was benched because Mularkey didn't think he could help the team that week with his injury and Adams freaked out. Leaving the stadium just because you don't get to dress isn't a great way to gain the favor of your head coach. His character and performance issues are the reason why he's lasted this long in free agency.

Adams is a big load, but got his 2004 Pro Bowl selection by playing on the same field as Pat Williams (a real difference maker). By himself, Adams is a big fat guy who can be handled rather easily by one interior blocker with a few ounces of skill.

There's nothing particularly wrong with signing Sam Adams, but the current version of him is nothing more than a support piece that may or may not allow a team to improve its run defense against teams that can't figure out that Sam Adams is older, fatter, and slower.

And yes, he was invisible in 2005. A guy who garners two blockers per running play doesn't end up on a team that allows 4.6 YPC and 22 Rushing Touchdowns. A guy with the kind of presence you attribute to Sam Adams simply won't allow that to happen.

WVRed
04-01-2006, 06:22 AM
Hobson's the byline, but I can't find it on the website either. You aren't getting an early start on April Fool's are you, WVRed?

I found it on scout.com's Bengals message board. It must have been a hoax, because it looks like it was deleted.

Allegro
04-01-2006, 06:44 AM
Adams to be a Bengal
Agent says DT will sign on Sunday, boosting league's No. 28 defense
BY MARK CURNUTTE | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITER

The addition of defensive tackle Sam Adams will turn a lackluster free agency period into a successful one for the Bengals.

Adams will fly to Cincinnati Sunday and sign a three-year contract with Cincinnati, agent Angelo Wright said Friday night.

Adams is expected to participate in the team's offseason strength and conditioning program, which will begin Monday.
ADVERTISEMENT

"He'll be there Monday through Thursday and go back home," Wright said.

Adams lives in Seattle and is owner-operator of an Arena Football League team, the af2 Everett (Wash.) Hawks.

Wright declined to reveal terms but said the deal is filled with incentives, including playing time. ESPN.com reported the first-year value could be $4 million if Adams reaches all incentives.

Adams' reunion with Bengals coach Marvin Lewis - Lewis was Baltimore's defensive coordinator when Adams was a vital piece of the Ravens' record-setting defense - gives Lewis the elusive big tackle that has been missing from his Cincinnati defenses.

Even after 12 NFL seasons, Adams should have enough left to take up space and occupy offensive linemen on first and second down. But don't look for him to play much on third down or obvious passing downs; sitting out those situations should help to conserve his energy.

The additions of Adams and sure-tackling safety Dexter Jackson, the return of star-in-the-making free safety Madieu Williams and a full training camp for second-year linebacker David Pollack should help the Bengals improve their overall defensive ranking from 28th last season. Pollack missed training camp in a contract dispute and had his best performance in the playoff loss to the Steelers.

Season-ending injuries to Williams and Kim Herring - whose contract was terminated Friday - left the Bengals' defense thin at safety. Ifeanyi Ohalete was signed at the end of the preseason, and his poor tackling at the point of attack contributed to big plays by opponents.

"Strong safety, free safety - when they don't tackle, you've got a problem," Lewis said this week at the NFL's annual meeting in Orlando, Fla.

Adding Adams to the rotation at tackle should help prevent John Thornton and Bryan Robinson - both of whom weigh less than 300 pounds - from wearing down.

Robinson missed seven starts and six games with a foot injury last season, and 320-pound Shaun Smith earned valuable experience in five starts. Smith ended up with 38 tackles and held his ground in the middle of the line.

When smaller, faster linebackers Odell Thurman, Landon Johnson and Caleb Miller are on the field for the Bengals, Adams' presence should help keep offensive linemen from engaging the linebackers and should leave them free to run to the ball carrier.

Still, Adams is not a true nose tackle needed to switch to a four-linebacker set.

Some fans are wondering why the Bengals don't switch to the 3-4, but Lewis is intentionally vague.

"I don't know about that," he said when asked about the 3-4 in Orlando. "I'll keep that to myself."

To Lewis, more girth does not necessarily make for a better defensive tackle.

"Kansas City gave up how many yards rushing a game last year?" Lewis said of the Chiefs (98.1 average yards a game, seventh in the league).

"Oakland gave up how many yards rushing last year (128.1, 25th in the league) and had the biggest tackle known to football (365-pound Ted Washington, now with the Browns). How many yards did (the Raiders) give up? It's got nothing to do with size.

"It has to do with playing and staying on your feet."

Asked what the Bengals need to become a top-five defense, Lewis said: "Make plays, tackle, you run. You tackle.

"You can't give up explosive plays. You can't give up explosive plays and expect to win. We gave up explosive plays in the playoff game against the Steelers. You give up those plays against the Bills. If you don't give them up, you win. If it's all 11 guys or a breakdown of one guy, either way it's an explosive play."

E-mail mcurnutte@enquirer.com

traderumor
04-01-2006, 07:48 AM
"Caught the ire"? Adams was benched because Mularkey didn't think he could help the team that week with his injury and Adams freaked out. Leaving the stadium just because you don't get to dress isn't a great way to gain the favor of your head coach. His character and performance issues are the reason why he's lasted this long in free agency.

Adams is a big load, but got his 2004 Pro Bowl selection by playing on the same field as Pat Williams (a real difference maker). By himself, Adams is a big fat guy who can be handled rather easily by one interior blocker with a few ounces of skill.

There's nothing particularly wrong with signing Sam Adams, but the current version of him is nothing more than a support piece that may or may not allow a team to improve its run defense against teams that can't figure out that Sam Adams is older, fatter, and slower.

And yes, he was invisible in 2005. A guy who garners two blockers per running play doesn't end up on a team that allows 4.6 YPC and 22 Rushing Touchdowns. A guy with the kind of presence you attribute to Sam Adams simply won't allow that to happen.
My understanding of the Bills D performance is injuries, injuries, injuries. Since when does one player on a D, esp. a DT, take all the weight of a poor defense against the run?

max venable
04-01-2006, 08:18 AM
Way to sniff that one out, Yachtz.

If it is an April fool's joke...it's not bad. Pretty well written. "A" for effort. :thumbup:

Who Dey!