PDA

View Full Version : Reds to carry 4 catchers?

icehole3
03-31-2006, 06:48 AM
Ross, Sardinha, LaRue and Valentin. This per Narron in today's Enquirer. I think thats a bit much. I love all our catchers but 4 is to many IMO.

Caseyfan21
03-31-2006, 07:30 AM
Here's a link to the page of notes that has it on it:

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060331/SPT04/603310348/1071

I don't know about this. I think obviously only 3 of these guys are going to be on the roster with the other maybe just traveling in case of LaRue's injury. I cannot see any way to justify carrying 4 catchers on the active roster with the way our roster is set up. That would be foolish to waste a roster spot on Sardinha or Ross when a player such as Buchanon or even McCracken could contribute more day in and day out.

Heath
03-31-2006, 08:42 AM
Jerry Narron's certifiably nuts if he thinks he needs 4 catchers.

Just drag him out in the white coat already.

Kc61
03-31-2006, 08:51 AM
I think Sardinha goes north in case of an injury. Probably Larue to DL, Val and Ross make the team, Sardinha goes north just in case.

RedsManRick
03-31-2006, 09:16 AM
LaRue on the DL and the 3rd catcher takes place of the 12th pitcher until he's needed. Once LaRue is back, somebody gets cut or traded.

osuceltic
03-31-2006, 09:17 AM
They're just waiting for the trade they're working on to get wrapped up. The writing is all over the wall.

redsmetz
03-31-2006, 09:17 AM
Ross, Sardinha, LaRue and Valentin. This per Narron in today's Enquirer. I think thats a bit much. I love all our catchers but 4 is to many IMO.

What Narron is saying is that traveling north with the club will be these four catchers. They haven't made the 25 man roster. I've been reading this "bringing them north" thing for a few weeks and I've understood that they will have more than 25 people come north this weekend and they will pare the roster back by the Sunday deadline, either by cuts or trades. This way all players who will make the 25 man roster will be with the club (except for a couple of pitchers who are staying behind to get some extra work in before their upcoming regular season starts).

We are not carrying 4 catchers on the major league roster.

REDREAD
03-31-2006, 09:36 AM
They're just waiting for the trade they're working on to get wrapped up. The writing is all over the wall.

Yes, I agree. This is about as obvious as it can get.

KearnsyEars
03-31-2006, 10:28 AM
No way. 2 and DL for Larue

Mario-Rijo
03-31-2006, 05:43 PM

For once I agree with the trade enuendo's, carrying 4 catchers is preposterous. There simply has to be something in the works and it might actually happen after opening day. Perhaps even up to 2 weeks or so in to see if Larue is fine. I happen to think Larue might get dealt, lord knows Krivsky will deal a catcher in a heartbeat! But I have to wonder what kind of value we are looking at if he hasn't been dealt in all this time (all these years I mean). It could be the cost certainty thing, they know what they are getting and how much he will cost for the next couple of years. Alright start up the L.A. and Colorado trade winds I think the Shealy deal is a no brainer. How about Larue and Wagner to the Rockies for Todd Helton (Ok wishful thinking) let's try Larue, Lizard & Wagner for Shealy, Fuentes & Ray King. Note: These are not neccessarily the guys I want to trade but just some guys who would make some sense to deal for various reasons.

KronoRed
03-31-2006, 05:51 PM
Carrying 3 catchers is also pretty bad, especially with a 12 man staff.

Jpup
04-01-2006, 02:24 AM
Carrying 3 catchers is also pretty bad, especially with a 12 man staff.

Denorfia cut for the likes of David Ross, Dane Sardinha, & Tony Womack. What a great manager the Reds have. :D

GAC
04-01-2006, 08:21 AM
Why do I want to break into the Beatle's song "Carry That Weight"? :lol:

ochre
04-01-2006, 09:30 AM
I'm still hoping the enquirer meant to run this story today

VI_RedsFan
04-01-2006, 09:39 AM
No way do we carry 4 catchers. But, I wouldn't be surprised if we bring 3.

Heath
04-01-2006, 10:32 AM
Why do I want to break into the Beatle's song "Carry That Weight"? :lol:

I was more thinking of - He's not heavy, he's my Brother -