PDA

View Full Version : Reds Saturday Transactions

jnwohio
04-01-2006, 11:35 AM
Reds Saturday roster moves from Marc Lancaster's Blog

http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/spring/

Denorfia back up. LaRue to the 15 day DL. Abad apparently makes the squad instead of Buchanan.

They still need to do soemthing with Sardinha

Boss-Hog
04-01-2006, 11:37 AM
Wagner also optioned to Louisville

savafan
04-01-2006, 11:39 AM
Abad? Andy "freaking" Abad? I could see giving Buchanan a spot, but this...

Of course, our GM came from the organization that just gave it's starting shortstop job to Juan Castro.

marcshoe
04-01-2006, 11:39 AM
Nothing about the Dunn trade? :D

pedro
04-01-2006, 11:42 AM
Does this mean that Abad is the new PH?

traderumor
04-01-2006, 11:44 AM
Abad? Andy "freaking" Abad? I could see giving Buchanan a spot, but this...

Of course, our GM came from the organization that just gave it's starting shortstop job to Juan Castro.I see Abad perhaps being less of a wasted roster space than Womack. Three freaking second baseman, and I don't care how valuable Ryan Freel is that you don't want to play him there every day (deep breaths, deep breaths...) :help:

TeamBoone
04-01-2006, 11:51 AM
Saturday, April 1, 2006

Reds close in on Opening Day roster
Biggest surprise: Abad makes club
BY JOHN FAY | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITER

SARASOTA, Fla. -- The Reds' Opening Day roster was nearly set this morning before their final spring training game.

Chris Denorfia, Andy Abad and Mike Burns are in. Jacob Cruz, Quinton McCracken, Frank Menechino, Brian Buchanan and Ryan Wagner are out.

The move to put Abad on the roster had not been announced, but he called his agent Brian Goldberg to say he made the team.

“Guys are disappointed,” Reds general manager Wayne Krivsky said. “Everyone shoots for Opening Day. But it’s a long season. If you go down (Triple-A) with the right attitude, you can help yourself.”

The moves:

--Right-hander Wagner was optioned to Triple-A Louisville.

--Outfielder Denorfia was recalled from Triple-A Louisville.

--Infielder Menechino, Quinton McCracken and outfielder/first baseman Cruz were re-assigned to the minor league camp.

--Right-hander Paul Wilson and catcher Jason LaRue were placed on the 15-day disabled list.

--No move had to made with Buchanan because he was never invited to big league camp.

More moves were coming after the game, most likely involving Abad and catcher Dane Sardinha. The club needs to get Abad on the roster. Sardinha is on the Reds' 40-man roster, but the team isn’t going to carry four catchers.

Abad, 33, is the biggest surprise. He had a good spring. But he only has 10 games of major league experience.

He was, however, an accomplished player at the Triple-A level. He hit .293 with 20 home runs and 85 RBI for Triple-A Buffalo last year. In 2003, he hit .304 with 13 home runs and an International League-leading 93 RBI.

Wagner, the 23-year-old right-hander, pointed to the fact the Reds didn’t use training stats to pick the roster. Wagner finished the spring with 12 scoreless innings and he was rarely in trouble in those innings.

But Burns, a 27-year-old right-hander, pitched just as well.

“We had three spots for four guys – (Todd) Coffey, (Matt) Belisle, Burns and Wagner,” Krivsky said. “No one eliminated themselves. Ryan made progress with his sinker. We want him to go Triple-A and continue to work on it.”

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060401/SPT04/304010031/-1/CINCI

flyer85
04-01-2006, 11:52 AM
Maybe Phillips can switch uniforms after the game and Womack can be sent packing.

For some reason I just don't see Abad being around very long.

traderumor
04-01-2006, 12:00 PM
BTW, Congrats to Andy Abad. I'm sure it was a tossup between him and Buchanon, I'm imagining he showed some power from the left side to come off the bench gave him the nod. Hopefully he makes the most of what is likely his last chance to make some major league dough.

Patrick Bateman
04-01-2006, 12:06 PM
I noticed Abad walked 11 times in 46 at-bats. That's one stat that wont really change from ST to regular season. If he walk at a respectable pace he probably wont be the worst guy to have around since he will get on base at a respectable rate.

flyer85
04-01-2006, 12:08 PM
I noticed Abad walked 11 times in 46 at-bats. That's one stat that wont really change from ST to regular season. If he walk at a respectable pace he probably wont be the worst guy to have around since he will get on base at a respectable rate.walks aren't scrappy

knuckler
04-01-2006, 12:19 PM
To understand the Abad move, I have to look a move ahead. When Wise and/or McCracken are back to full strength, I expect one of them to be added to the roster. I suspect Krivsky is more comfortable designating Abad for assignment at that time then Buchanon.

TOBTTReds
04-01-2006, 12:32 PM
I have a lot of respect for a GM that doesn't play favorites. In this case, WK brought in Buchanon in Feb. and he has straight raked, but he still feels Abad is going to be good enough to play. DanO would have kept Buch and said "I told you so" (see machado and ramano). Krivsky knows that there are some holes in his swing that might not be ok for MLB level. I like Krivsky's attitude towards his players. It is like they are his now, none are DanO's, none are just his.

savafan
04-01-2006, 01:10 PM
Does Cruz go to Louisville, or was he released?

TeamBoone
04-01-2006, 01:22 PM
--Infielder Menechino, Quinton McCracken and outfielder/first baseman Cruz were re-assigned to the minor league camp.

It didn't say where.

KronoRed
04-01-2006, 01:24 PM
walks aren't scrappy
You mean manly.

Joseph
04-01-2006, 01:31 PM
I think a guy like Cruz has the option to refuse the assignment doesn't he?

deltachi8
04-01-2006, 01:32 PM
Does Cruz go to Louisville, or was he released?

I think they may give him the choice.

tbball10
04-01-2006, 02:08 PM
wagner should have been on the team, and burns is an 88mph flame thrower.

oneupper
04-01-2006, 02:14 PM
I like seeing Abad on the Roster. He's a guy who never really got a chance in Boston despite putting up excellent numbers in AAA (OBP regularly around .400)

If Hatteberg goes down, Abad can go to 1B. Way to roll the dice, Wayne!

Eric_Davis
04-01-2006, 03:29 PM
One thing that's guaranteed is that there will be changes.

Kc61
04-01-2006, 04:05 PM
I noticed Abad walked 11 times in 46 at-bats. That's one stat that wont really change from ST to regular season. If he walk at a respectable pace he probably wont be the worst guy to have around since he will get on base at a respectable rate.

I think this is a key point. If you look at Abad's minor league stats, he has always been a high OBP guy, some years over .400. Only modest power numbers, relatively few strikeouts, high walk totals.

Reminds me of --- Scott Hatteberg.

Perhaps this tells us something about Krivsky. Probably wants to reduce Reds strikeout totals on offense, have more high OBP guys, perhaps less emphasis on power. (Maybe Krivsky would't have been so fast to trade Casey.)

NatiRedGals
04-01-2006, 04:30 PM
Thanks for all this info! Im really surprised about the Ryan Wagner deal but not really surprised about any of the other moves! Way to go Abad! Nice seeing someone who wants to prove themselves make it!

jnwohio
04-01-2006, 05:22 PM
On his in game radio appearnace today, Mr. Krivsky was singing high praises of David Ross and all but declared that they plan on carrying 3 catchers when LaRue is ready to come back, so it looks (to me) like LaRue would take the spot they put Abad in.

As someone else said, this probably protects then from having to expose Buchanan to waivers and guarantees he will be available to bring up if a long term outfield opening happens. I guess the remaining question is does Denorfia only stay up until McCracken or Wise is ready to go?

redsmetz
04-01-2006, 07:02 PM
I thought Buchanan wasn't on the 40 man roster, solely in the minor league camp (even without an invite to the camp). I'm not sure we expose him to waivers because he's signed to a minor league contract already.

alloverjr
04-01-2006, 07:17 PM
I thought Buchanan wasn't on the 40 man roster, solely in the minor league camp (even without an invite to the camp). I'm not sure we expose him to waivers because he's signed to a minor league contract already.

I think what JNW meant was that IF Buchanan made the club out of ST they would have added him to the 40 and subsequently have to expose him to waivers when LaRue is brought off the 15 (or some other corresponding move). Now, he bides his time in AAA until Womack is released, Freel takes over 2nd full time, and a fifth outfielder is needed long term. OK, maybe I've put words in his mouth. ;)

redsmetz
04-01-2006, 07:35 PM
I think what JNW meant was that IF Buchanan made the club out of ST they would have added him to the 40 and subsequently have to expose him to waivers when LaRue is brought off the 15 (or some other corresponding move). Now, he bides his time in AAA until Womack is released, Freel takes over 2nd full time, and a fifth outfielder is needed long term. OK, maybe I've put words in his mouth. ;)

I came in late and hadn't read everything. I see now.

BTW, great Kopapelli!

membengal
04-01-2006, 07:36 PM
I have no complaints with Abad making this club. Either him or McCracken or Buchanan? It's not like the Reds are cutting Babe Ruth and Willie Mays to make room for him.

savafan
04-01-2006, 09:23 PM
http://fantasybaseball.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.asp?sport=MLB&lastline=171764&id=2157

Reds signed LHP Darrell May to a minor league contract.
The 33-year-old May would be another flyball pitcher fed to Great American, but new Reds GM Wayne Krivsky hardly seems concerned with groundball/flyball tendencies so far. May is primarily Triple-A depth anyway.

TeamBoone
04-01-2006, 09:27 PM
Just maybe Mr. Krivsky thinks it doesn't matter.... as long as these pitchers can actually strike guys out. And if that was the case, he'd be right.

NewEraReds
04-01-2006, 09:44 PM
wagner should have been on the team, and burns is an 88mph flame thrower.yea, cause umpires call strikes based on what the radar says this year. this year, the home plate umpire wont even be on the field. he will be in a booth reading the gun. if its over 93, its a strike. anything less is a ball

NC Reds
04-01-2006, 10:06 PM
I'm happy to see Denorfia on the team. I'd be even happier if Dunn was at first and Denorfia was starting in left field.

Hopefully Wagner will pitch his way back onto the team. I'm not sold on Burns.

Team Clark
04-01-2006, 10:13 PM
To understand the Abad move, I have to look a move ahead. When Wise and/or McCracken are back to full strength, I expect one of them to be added to the roster. I suspect Krivsky is more comfortable designating Abad for assignment at that time then Buchanon.

That is exactly what has to happen. Abad will probably be around 10-15 days barring any further injuries.

Jacob Cruz... man life sucks sometimes.

Poor Buchanan. "Hey dude, we need you to hit above .700 to make this squad.... can you do that"? Something tells me he'll get picked up quick.

Nugget
04-02-2006, 06:10 AM
I'm hoping this one of those options/ownership moves. Wagner goes to Louisville to see if White is bad enough to DFA. If he's good enough they trade him in June and bring Wags back up.

redsmetz
04-02-2006, 07:53 AM
Poor Buchanan. "Hey dude, we need you to hit above .700 to make this squad.... can you do that"? Something tells me he'll get picked up quick.

I think Buchanan is strictly as case of not having to put him on the 40 man roster. He can be in the minors since he's signed to a minor league contract and he's available if we need to bring him up and force a roster move later.

redsmetz
04-02-2006, 07:55 AM
I'm hoping this one of those options/ownership moves. Wagner goes to Louisville to see if White is bad enough to DFA. If he's good enough they trade him in June and bring Wags back up.

I, and others, have said almost all ST that Wagner could use some time at AAA to iron things out to be an even better pitcher. We never should have rushed him in the first place. I think Ryan Wagner improves with time in AAA.

redsmetz
04-02-2006, 07:57 AM
http://fantasybaseball.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.asp?sport=MLB&lastline=171764&id=2157

Reds signed LHP Darrell May to a minor league contract.
The 33-year-old May would be another flyball pitcher fed to Great American, but new Reds GM Wayne Krivsky hardly seems concerned with groundball/flyball tendencies so far. May is primarily Triple-A depth anyway.

I think we need to remember that some of these guys they're grabbing and giving minor league contracts are just ways of filling out the minor league rosters and a chance to see if these guys can be resurrected. He's not taking a ML roster spot, so there's no risk whatsoever. It's basically Krivskey's safe way of taking a flyer on someone to see if they can help. Maybe they can't, but if they can return to form and the need arises, the cog is down there for us to use.