PDA

View Full Version : Just when you think UC basektball can't get any worse

Reds4Life
04-01-2006, 04:11 PM
Devon Downey has asked for, and been granted, a release from the UC program.

There goes our starting point guard, star player, and only hope of being competitive next year. There are rumors Cedric McGowan is next and will also ask for a release.

What else can go wrong? UC might be lucky to in 2-3 games next year.

:(

traderumor
04-01-2006, 04:19 PM
I'm not sure that me offering consolation will mean much, but this isn't much different than what happened at Ohio State in transitioning from Randy Ayers to Jim O'Brien, which unfortunately eventually turned into the devil that you have may not be as bad as the devil that replaces him. There were some really lean years from Ayers to O'Brien though, where it was hard to watch them at times. I think one year they won one Big 10 game. Hopefully, your new coach rebuilds the program the right way and UC recovers to hit the top again, as well. This state is plenty big enough to support two bball powerhouses.

Reds4Life
04-01-2006, 04:37 PM
I'm not sure that me offering consolation will mean much, but this isn't much different than what happened at Ohio State in transitioning from Randy Ayers to Jim O'Brien, which unfortunately eventually turned into the devil that you have may not be as bad as the devil that replaces him. There were some really lean years from Ayers to O'Brien though, where it was hard to watch them at times. I think one year they won one Big 10 game. Hopefully, your new coach rebuilds the program the right way and UC recovers to hit the top again, as well. This state is plenty big enough to support two bball powerhouses.

At least you guys didn't have to content with O'Brien going to another team and contending for a national title, which would just pour salt on the wound. Huggins has got 3 of the top 5 players for 2007 lined up at K-State, and another in the top 25. When it's all said and done he might have the best recruiting class ever assembled.

What will we have? Walk ons, 3 wins and Nancy Zimpher. Our future is so bright. To think of what might have been. :(

traderumor
04-01-2006, 04:42 PM
Well, you're right there. The NCAA put a big ole letter "A" on O'Brien's chest and I don't think anyone will touch him for quite some time, if ever again for anymore than an assistant's job.

DropDocK
04-01-2006, 05:02 PM

shiat

That's all I have to say

:help:

MWM
04-01-2006, 05:03 PM
This is bad news for UC. And we don't know all the details behind the scenes, but this seems to make his comments from last week a flat out lie and a little irritating.

If Cronin doesn't bring in a top notch recruiting class next year (his first full recruiting season), it could be a long dry spell for the Bearcats.

CTA513
04-01-2006, 05:05 PM

There goes our starting point guard, star player, and only hope of being competitive next year. There are rumors Cedric McGowan is next and will also ask for a release.

What else can go wrong? UC might be lucky to in 2-3 games next year.

Im not surprised.

Reds4Life
04-01-2006, 05:10 PM
Im not surprised.

After his little "I'm staying" speech that he gave after the South Carolina game telling everyone he wanted to be a Bearcat, I'm surprised, and bitterly dissappointed.

If he stayed Mick could have plugged holes and put a respectable team on the floor next season, without him UC has no hope. There are no PG's worth having that are still available for next season either. This could set UC's program back another year at least.

Man this sucks. :help:

DoogMinAmo
04-01-2006, 05:35 PM
I can't find this anywhere, and you would figure this to be big news. Link? or Prank?

Reds4Life
04-01-2006, 05:43 PM
I can't find this anywhere, and you would figure this to be big news. Link? or Prank?

It's being reported by Scout.com, Dave Telup (national recruiting expert) and 700WLW, they ware waiting on official statement from UC.

DoogMinAmo
04-01-2006, 06:15 PM
It's being reported by Scout.com, Dave Telup (national recruiting expert) and 700WLW, they ware waiting on official statement from UC.

Really bad news, if true. It seems odd considering both Mick and Downey's recent statements. Not to mention, if Devan were to stay, he would be THE man in a top program. Where else could he go an be afforded that?

paintmered
04-01-2006, 06:18 PM
Woe is us.

What more is there to say about the state of the UC basketball program?

DoogMinAmo
04-01-2006, 06:23 PM

Really bad news, if true. It seems odd considering both Mick and Downey's recent statements. Not to mention, if Devan were to stay, he would be THE man in a top program. Where else could he go an be afforded that?

Reds4Life
04-01-2006, 06:25 PM

Rumors are he's headed to the ACC, Wake Forest to be exact. I guess he was expecting Skip to be named coach, like everyone else, and wasn't pleased when it didn't happen.

Reds4Life
04-01-2006, 06:50 PM
This is what came across the wire, for those that care to read it.

Point Guard To Explore Options
by Dave Telep of Scout.com, April 1, 2006 at 2:33pm ET

According to mulitple sources, Cincinnati freshman point guard Devan Downey has asked for his release from the Bearcats program and has been granted the release.
Sources at the Final Four indicated that the Bearcats would make every attempt to keep Downey in the fold. Expect programs like Mississippi and Wake Forest to potentially make a run at him.

Bearcat Insider is doing our part to talk with the UC SIDs as we speak. Look for further information of the course of the day.

I don't put much faith into the "everything they can to keep him in the fold" comment. You don't ask for a release if there is a chance you might return.

WVRed
04-01-2006, 07:32 PM
Rumors are he's headed to the ACC, Wake Forest to be exact. I guess he was expecting Skip to be named coach, like everyone else, and wasn't pleased when it didn't happen.

I'da figured he would have headed with Huggins to K-St.

Reds4Life
04-01-2006, 07:51 PM
There is major drama surrounding this situation right now. From Dave Berk, who has major connections to the UC atheltic department and runs the UC Scout site.

OK, sorry for not being on the board today. I've been at UC from 9:30 a.m. until 3:00 p.m. and then was driving to get my daughter from her grandmothers and just got home.

But the great thing about today's world is cell phones. I've been on the phones looking for more information. What I've come up with is the following.

After talking with an high official at UC about Devan this is what I know. UC at this time has no comment on Devan leaving the program. They've not heard from Mick about this and will not have any official word until then.

Knowing Dave Telep the way I do, you can trust what he's saying. He is the best in the industry for a reason.

I'm in the process of talking with Dave and getting more details on this as I type.

The one statement that Dave did make was that UC was going to fight to keep him. Devan may be getting pulled in many different directions at this time.

From what I'm hearing talking with several of my hoop sources is the following. There is much bad blood by those who were former coaches at UC and the one who is the new coach at UC.

When I have more I'll post.

If Huggins was in contact with Downey while he's under scholarship to UC that is an NCAA violation. If Kennedy was whispering in Downey's ear to follow him to Ole Miss, while he was the coach of UC and Devan is under scholarship, that is also an NCAA violation.

Like I said, major drama around this right now. This story could get much bigger in the next 24 hours.

Cedric
04-01-2006, 11:52 PM
If Mick crossed Bob and Andy I hope the program crumbles. And fast.

Reds4Life
04-02-2006, 12:18 AM
If Mick crossed Bob and Andy I hope the program crumbles. And fast.

I'm a big fan of Bob's, but if he's recruiting a player that's under scholarship to another school he should be reported to the NCAA for that. That is ridiculous. Bob said he's moved on, lets hope that's true and he's not actively trying to sabotage UC's program. I would hope he would have enough respect for the fans that supported him for 16 years (and still support him) to not try something like that. The same goes for Andy Kennedy. Some current UC players are saying they had no idea Devan was thinking of leaving, along with some UC officials. Sounds like he's trying to run out the backdoor before anyone notices.

Something doesn't add up about this whole situation.

Cedric
04-02-2006, 12:27 AM
I doubt Bob was doing anything like that. I think Devan has a right to ask about Mick Cronin to the two people he respects the most. If Andy and Bob said bad things about Mick than is that wrong or the truth?

Maybe Devan found out about the way Andy and Bob were backstabbed and he decided that was enough.

Reds4Life
04-02-2006, 12:34 AM
I doubt Bob was doing anything like that. I think Devan has a right to ask about Mick Cronin to the two people he respects the most. If Andy and Bob said bad things about Mick than is that wrong or the truth?

Maybe Devan found out about the way Andy and Bob were backstabbed and he decided that was enough.

If he had contact with Bob or Andy after Cronin was hired (Kennedy was an Ole Miss employee and Bob was a K-State employee at that point) they are going to be in some very hot water with the NCAA, that would be a rather serious violation.

The situation with Bob and Andy isn't anything new, it's been going on for months. According to Andy Kennedy he informed Mike Thomas he didn't want the UC job, so I'm not sure how he was stabbed in the back for a job he claims he didn't want. If Devan wanted to leave he shouldn't have gotten on TV and announced he's staying, talking about reasons why he wanted to stay, etc.

WVRed
04-02-2006, 09:07 AM
The best case scenario would be Downey to Wake Forest. That way, no speculation on Huggins and Kennedy trying to draw him away.

This may sound like an outside chance, but maybe Downey decided he wanted to play for the man who recruited him without no interference, or he decided he liked Kennedy enough to follow him to Ole Miss.

LawFive
04-02-2006, 11:53 AM
Any updates? Not finding this anywhere else on the web. I'm not saying that the various inside sources aren't legit, but...you'd think it would be all over Rosencrans' Bearcat blog, enquirer.com, etc. by now.

Boss-Hog
04-02-2006, 12:19 PM
Bearcatnews.com is reporting it :(

Reds4Life
04-02-2006, 12:28 PM
Any updates? Not finding this anywhere else on the web. I'm not saying that the various inside sources aren't legit, but...you'd think it would be all over Rosencrans' Bearcat blog, enquirer.com, etc. by now.

It's being kept quiet for the time being because Mick hasn't had a chance to speak with Devan yet and UC won't confirm it, but he has asked for, and been granted his release.

The guys who are reporting this don't screw around, they have major connections, it's legit.

StillFunkyB
04-02-2006, 12:39 PM
The best case scenario would be Downey to Wake Forest. That way, no speculation on Huggins and Kennedy trying to draw him away.

This may sound like an outside chance, but maybe Downey decided he wanted to play for the man who recruited him without no interference, or he decided he liked Kennedy enough to follow him to Ole Miss.

Scooney Penn followed O'Brien to OSU.

I would like to see a game in which nobody showed up at Shoemaker, and they all sat outside with Nancy must go signs. :)

DoogMinAmo
04-02-2006, 01:03 PM
Someone needs to talk to Downey and tell him if he goes anywhere, he has to sit out for a year no matter what. He might as well stay here and wait through a rebuilding year, improve his skills, and lead the team in 2007-08.

In the end it is his decision, hopefully he will remember the fans that supported this team through it all.

Reds4Life
04-02-2006, 02:25 PM
Someone needs to talk to Downey and tell him if he goes anywhere, he has to sit out for a year no matter what. He might as well stay here and wait through a rebuilding year, improve his skills, and lead the team in 2007-08.

In the end it is his decision, hopefully he will remember the fans that supported this team through it all.

That's what doesn't make sense to me. Devan doesn't strike me as a guy willing to be a role player or backup, he wants to be the man on the floor. At UC he can have that, in the best conference in the country, he would be the leader of that team. If he transfers, he has to sit out a year, and he with the schools that are being mentioned in connection with him he probably wouldn't be the starting PG for any of them.

Reds4Life
04-02-2006, 03:00 PM
It's official now ladies and gents.

http://ucbearcats.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/040206aaa.html

Cedric
04-02-2006, 03:14 PM
Gonna be a rough year. I'm glad that I have KState to root for.

DoogMinAmo
04-02-2006, 06:29 PM
I recommend checking C. Trent Rosecrans' blog for UC info, it is top notch.

http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/cincybearcats/

And he says there is a chance Downey might come back, so I hold out hope.

TeamBoone
04-02-2006, 07:19 PM
According to the local 6 o'clock news, Downey leaving is not yet a done deal. They really are trying to talk him into staying.

Also, the reran the clip from when he said he wanted to stay... and he didn't say "yes, I'm going to stay a Bearcat". He said, "as of right now, I intend to remain a Bearcat". Therefore, IMHO, he did not lie... perhaps something has happened that's making him lean toward leaving, perhaps it's something about the new coach, or half a dozen other things.

Bottom line, he isn't out the door.... yet.

Reds4Life
04-02-2006, 07:35 PM
He's gone, little chance he returns. Mick is already out recriting PG's now.

NatiRedGals
04-02-2006, 10:59 PM
Sad Downey why in the world heh its sad if you think abou tit i mean its crazy!

savafan
04-03-2006, 01:09 AM
Most incoming college freshmen who would consider UC have seen the drama that's been playing out since Nancy Z arrived there. What college player with an ounce of talent wants to subject themselves to this three ring circus, and why would Downey want to remain as the big man on a sinking ship if the ship is still going to sink? Being a king isn't glorious when you're the king of the land of poop. I can't fault any talented player for not wanting to play at UC in the forseeable future.

Newport Red
04-03-2006, 09:59 PM
Makes you wish the Nancy to Northwestwern rumors are true.

Reds4Life
04-03-2006, 10:04 PM
Makes you wish the Nancy to Northwestwern rumors are true.

Guess who is still saying those rumors are true? Richard Katz, Huggins agent/lawyer.

I don't believe it, but I wish it were so.

Newport Red
04-03-2006, 10:10 PM
Guess who is still saying those rumors are true? Richard Katz, Huggins agent/lawyer.

I don't believe it, but I wish it were so.

I wonder if he is billing Bob when he makes these statements.:)