PDA

View Full Version : Hope For This Year

James B.
04-01-2006, 05:43 PM
I think the reds had the best spring record of any team in baseball and I realize that does'nt matter. Having said that, I have seen alot of things this spring that makes me feel alot better about this team.

1. The starting pitching looks strong. Milton looks great and his fastball is up
about 5 mph.
2. Edwin E. looks like he is ready to emerge.
3. Dunn,Griffey, and Kearns are healthy and swinging the bat well.
4. The bullpen still needs a closer but they will be better that last year.
5. The reds now have management willing to go and get help if the reds stay
in contention.

Tommyjohn25
04-01-2006, 07:01 PM
I'm cautiously optimistic as well, granted that is in my nature. I do know for sure that I am drooling over the fact that opening day is two days away.

redsfan30
04-01-2006, 07:06 PM
Nice post. I agree that there are many positives to be taken out of camp this year but perhaps none are bigger than the potential beginings of a turn around of Eric Milton. Milton has looked fantastic this spring. It appears that it wasn't just excuse making, but maybe the legs were a problem for him last year. He seems to be able to push off his lower half and he's seeing increased velocity as a result.

I'm extremely excited about the prospects of Ken Griffey, Jr. He is swinging the bat as well as he has in a long, long time and he looks poised to have a huge season. If he's able to stay on the field for 140-150 games we could have an MVP candidate in our lineup. .300/40/100 is almost set in stone for him as long as he can stay on the field.

Edwin Encarnacion ripped the cover off the ball, but he did seem to slow down a bit as the spring progressed. I'm not worried yet, but I sure hope he didn't peak too early.

I would add Aaron Harang and Brandon Claussen to the list of reasons to smile about. Harang was dominate all spring, nuff' said. Claussen was very good too. Bronson Arroyo was very good Thursday as well. Sure, it was only one outing, nothing to get worked up over but at the least he showed us that he is capable of getting the job done. These three along with a potential resurgant Eric Milton could make for an actual competent rotation. I am concerned about Dave Williams though.

All in all, it's just spring and we all know that. But it sure makes you feel better about the team coming north when they break camp having had more positives than negatives.

Larry Schuler
04-01-2006, 07:13 PM
LIES! LIES! Milton shall never rebound! Make it stop! Make it stop!

:explode:

UPRedsFan
04-01-2006, 08:30 PM
Nice post. I agree that there are many positives to be taken out of camp this year but perhaps none are bigger than the potential beginings of a turn around of Eric Milton. Milton has looked fantastic this spring. It appears that it wasn't just excuse making, but maybe the legs were a problem for him last year. He seems to be able to push off his lower half and he's seeing increased velocity as a result.

I'm extremely excited about the prospects of Ken Griffey, Jr. He is swinging the bat as well as he has in a long, long time and he looks poised to have a huge season. If he's able to stay on the field for 140-150 games we could have an MVP candidate in our lineup. .300/40/100 is almost set in stone for him as long as he can stay on the field.

Edwin Encarnacion ripped the cover off the ball, but he did seem to slow down a bit as the spring progressed. I'm not worried yet, but I sure hope he didn't peak too early.

I would add Aaron Harang and Brandon Claussen to the list of reasons to smile about. Harang was dominate all spring, nuff' said. Claussen was very good too. Bronson Arroyo was very good Thursday as well. Sure, it was only one outing, nothing to get worked up over but at the least he showed us that he is capable of getting the job done. These three along with a potential resurgant Eric Milton could make for an actual competent rotation. I am concerned about Dave Williams though.

All in all, it's just spring and we all know that. But it sure makes you feel better about the team coming north when they break camp having had more positives than negatives.

Ditto!

TeamBoone
04-01-2006, 08:51 PM
I agree with everyone's observations. Felipe also appears to have picked up right where he left off.

After the first month or two, I think at least one or two fringe players will be replaced with performing minor leaguers (e.g., Wagner for White? and Mr. not-to-be-mentioned?) hopefully filling a few gaping holes.

One other thing that excites me sooooo much..... the players are excited! I mean, really excited. It's so great to see.

I am hoping so much that these guys make every columnist, beat reporter, analyist, etc. eat their words for giving them absolutely no credit, not even for the stuff they deserve credit for.

biggestREDSfan
04-01-2006, 09:57 PM
Ditto!

Ditto for me too! This could not have been said any better!

redsmetz
04-02-2006, 08:10 AM
I agree with everyone's observations. Felipe also appears to have picked up right where he left off.

After the first month or two, I think at least one or two fringe players will be replaced with performing minor leaguers (e.g., Wagner for White? and Mr. not-to-be-mentioned?) hopefully filling a few gaping holes.

One other thing that excites me sooooo much..... the players are excited! I mean, really excited. It's so great to see.

I am hoping so much that these guys make every columnist, beat reporter, analyist, etc. eat their words for giving them absolutely no credit, not even for the stuff they deserve credit for.

This may well be true. I think the first order of business will be what to do when Paul Wilson returns, assuming he returns to form. I think Dave Williams moves into the swing role, long relief, occasional start. I don't know who goes down, probably will have to do with who has options (although not necessarily - they've made some cuts clearing off roster spots). I think Wagner will be up some time this year.

I agree that Womack will probably be gone. I'm guessing he will prove to be cancerous not playing. Both he and Edwards are trades Krivskey was saddled with and there are finanicial considerations in just releasing them. But the proverbial bag (or bags) of balls will probably do if the salaries go "bye bye" too.

I totally agree with your hope that writers who give this team no credit whatsoever have a nice huge helping of crow. Frankly the wildest ride in MLB this year will be the NL Central Division. And I still wouldn't be shocked to see Milwaukee end up on top. I don't think anyone can accurately predict this divisions order of finish, top to bottom. The only teams I wouldn't pick to finish last are St. Louis and Milwaukee.

DropDocK
04-02-2006, 11:48 AM
I can't wait for some of those pundits to be proven wrong. ESPN is off base, then I open up SI to find the Reds ranked 28, ahead of only Kansas City and Florida. :thumbdown

Play ball!

SoTxRedsFan
04-02-2006, 11:54 AM
Well, I think I'll have to wait to see some of our pitchers take the next step before I get too excited. But I really expect Claussen and Harang to do just that, so I guess I am getting a little excited.

James B.
04-02-2006, 01:58 PM
I can't wait for some of those pundits to be proven wrong. ESPN is off base, then I open up SI to find the Reds ranked 28, ahead of only Kansas City and Florida. :thumbdown

Play ball!

Your right, even if the reds are not good this year they will be better than some of the teams ranked ahead of them like Tampa Bay and Colorado.