PDA

View Full Version : Kearns: Still available

savafan
04-03-2006, 12:38 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/5463408

The Reds resolved their outfield logjam by trading Wily Mo Pena to the Red Sox for right-hander Bronson Arroyo, but it's not out of the question that they would move Austin Kearns if they got the right pitcher in return.

Chris Denorfia, a Triple-A player often compared to the Brewers' overachieving Brady Clark, could step in for Kearns, though some view Denorfia as more of a fourth outfielder while Kearns is a potential No. 5 hitter.

The Reds' depth would be compromised if they traded Kearns, especially if Ken Griffey Jr. were injured, but Ryan Freel, Jacob Cruz and Quinton McCracken still would be in the mix, and outfielders are easier to find than pitchers.

KearnsyEars
04-03-2006, 12:46 AM
I don't buy it. Not now. If he gets red hot, maybe. But they'll wait till stock is up

WMR
04-03-2006, 12:55 AM
I don't buy it. Not now. If he gets red hot, maybe. But they'll wait till stock is up

Why would they start doing that now?

KronoRed
04-03-2006, 01:00 AM
Is the plan to put Womack in left eventually? :help:

reds44
04-03-2006, 01:07 AM
It depends what you would get for him. If the Marlins come calling with Olsen or Vargas then I would do it. But they have to much better then Dave Williams, OF is no longer overstocked, no need to give away guys.

Johnny Footstool
04-03-2006, 01:11 AM

Like they did with Pena?

reds44
04-03-2006, 01:14 AM
Like they did with Pena?
I'll trade Pena for Arroyo anyday of the week. It gave us an actual rotation.

deltachi8
04-03-2006, 09:20 AM
I'll trade Pena for Arroyo anyday of the week. It gave us an actual rotation.

one just good enough for 6th.

traderumor
04-03-2006, 09:30 AM
If they're trying to deal Kearns, batting him behind Scott Hatteberg is not exactly the way to help his value.

flyer85
04-03-2006, 09:35 AM
The Reds have no surplus of OFs. Counting on Jr to play more than 100 games is likely a losing proposition, Denorfia is insurance for that.

kbrake
04-03-2006, 09:46 AM
If Kearns will bring something even decent in return I would move him now. I hate to say it but I only see his value decreasing. As traderumor said his spot in the line-up will sure not help things.

MattyHo4Life
04-03-2006, 09:47 AM
Kearns won't be traded. No team will offer the pot of gold that the Reds want for him unless he starts playing better. If he starts playing better, then they won't trade him period.

westofyou
04-03-2006, 10:33 AM
Kearns won't be traded. No team will offer the pot of gold that the Reds want for him unless he starts playing better. If he starts playing better, then they won't trade him period.
Maybe the Cards will trade their new superstar Josh Hancock for him?

Caveat Emperor
04-03-2006, 10:39 AM

If the right deal comes around, I have no doubt that Krivsky will pull the trigger and ship Kearns away.

At some point, if the Reds want to get back to playing winning baseball, they're going to have to make deals that restock the AA-AAA level of their farm system. Based on what I've heard from Castellini, sitting around and waiting for the O'Brien draft classes to "grow up" isn't an option he's going to consider. Somebody has to be trade fodder, and the team would be beyond foolish to touch Dunn, Lopez or Encarnacion. That doesn't leave a lot of names...

RBA
04-03-2006, 10:58 AM
Speaking of foolish and Dunn. Tracy Jones said the Reds need to move Dunn for pitching.

RedLegSuperStar
04-03-2006, 11:01 AM

Wait till St Louis season gets under way and they relize what they picked up... him and Ponson are going to be going to all the buffets along the way..

RedLegSuperStar
04-03-2006, 11:04 AM
Speaking of foolish and Dunn. Tracy Jones said the Reds need to move Dunn for pitching.

If we can get a proven #1/#2 starter for him then ok. I mean we do have Aurilia and Hatteberg... We are set!

flyer85
04-03-2006, 11:06 AM
On trading for pitching:
Funny thing is the Reds aren't even doing the simple things they could do to help the team, like reconfigure the OF to shore up the defense. This team on paper is as bad defensively as last years team (which was very bad).

BRM
04-03-2006, 11:11 AM
On trading for pitching:
Funny thing is the Reds aren't even doing the simple things they could do to help the team, like reconfigure the OF to shore up the defense. This team on paper is as bad defensively as last years team (which was very bad).

It may be even worse. The 1B/2B combo of Hatteberg and Womack is worse than Casey/Freel. The OF should be a wash from last year.

roby
04-03-2006, 11:13 AM
I still don't understand why they didn't leave Dunn on 1B and put denorfia in the outfield. That immediately does something to help defensively.

RedLegSuperStar
04-03-2006, 11:19 AM
It may be even worse. The 1B/2B combo of Hatteberg and Womack is worse than Casey/Freel. The OF should be a wash from last year.

Freel was a utility player last year..I don't think you can designate him to one position and compare him to a regular 2 Baseman.. remember D'Angelo Jimenez started the season at 2B.

None the less it's still worse

BRM
04-03-2006, 11:23 AM
Freel was a utility player last year..I don't think you can designate him to one position and compare him to a regular 2 Baseman.. remember D'Angelo Jimenez started the season at 2B.

None the less it's still worse

Good point, D'Lo was the opening day starter. Either way, D'Lo, RA, and Freel are all better defensively than Womack.

Caveat Emperor
04-03-2006, 12:55 PM
I still don't understand why they didn't leave Dunn on 1B and put denorfia in the outfield. That immediately does something to help defensively.

Probably because part of the negotiation of Dunn's long term deal was an unwritten promise from Krivsky to Dunn that he'd go back to LF as soon as a spot was opened up in the outfield.

I'm just guessing aloud, I have no evidence whatsoever.

KronoRed
04-03-2006, 02:11 PM
Unless that was in the contract then the Reds made a mistake, Dunn at 1st with either Freel or Deno in the OF was the better option.

SeeinRed
04-03-2006, 03:11 PM

I personally am a lot more comfortable with Hatteberg at 1B than Dunn, even if that means LF is weaker. A lot more plays go through first base than the outfield. That means a lot more chances for errors. I would guess that you are actually saving a lot more errors by putting Dunn in the OF than putting him at first and putting Denorfia in LF. Dunn was not ready to play first base every day. But that is just my personal opinion.

red-in-la
04-03-2006, 04:09 PM
Boy Roby, you sure have been proven correct so far today. Dunn is a joke with a glove on his hand today.

Newport Red
04-03-2006, 06:55 PM
In Dunn's defense, it is only one game - a very bad one in the field.

If they can get quality arms for Kearns and LaRue as the season goes on, trade them. It would be nice to have pitching a strength instead of the outfield.

VI_RedsFan
04-03-2006, 07:23 PM
I love Kearns, and I think that, despite what other people think, he looked good today. But, if we can get a quality arm or two for him, I wouldn't hesitate on dealing him. We really aren't in bad shape in the outfield if he is traded, we would still have Griffey and Dunn, and of course Freel and Deno.

But, if we trade Austin, I wan't to see Wagner/LaRue dealt for some defense, whether it be in the outfield, 2B, or whatever. Defense is a big weakness on this team, and even we get a good pitcher for Ears, our defense might get worse.

MattyHo4Life
04-03-2006, 08:37 PM

No way...not unless the Reds add a top prospect.

MattyHo4Life
04-03-2006, 08:38 PM
Wait till St Louis season gets under way and they relize what they picked up... him and Ponson are going to be going to all the buffets along the way..

I watched Hancock pitch today against the Phillies, and he didn't very big.

VI_RedsFan
04-03-2006, 08:43 PM
How about these two deals?

Kearns to BAL for Bedard (not sure if the O's would accept, but they could use some offense in the corner outfield)

Wagner to DET for Granderson

Heath
04-03-2006, 08:48 PM
How about these deal?

Wagner to DET for Granderson

I'm fine with that - but Dave Dombrowski's laughing so hard he's crying.

I'd do Wagner for Nook Logan.

I'm still waiting for Carlos Pena.

reds44
04-03-2006, 09:00 PM
Wagner for Gathright or Granderson I would do.

KronoRed
04-03-2006, 09:20 PM
TB moved at the speed of Dan O, they would all be retired by the time the rays said yes.

Heath
04-03-2006, 09:53 PM
TB moved at the speed of Dan O, they would all be retired by the time the rays said yes.

Hey, not true.

They'd also be collecting social security.

Hey Krono - change your banner from "one day at a time" to "scrappy poster" :D

KronoRed
04-03-2006, 10:15 PM
Raisor says I'm not scrappy..he's the expert ya know

Heath
04-03-2006, 10:25 PM
Raisor says I'm not scrappy..he's the expert ya know

Yeah, Raisor's currently chained up I think. He's an expert all-right :D

roby
04-03-2006, 10:33 PM
Boy Roby, you sure have been proven correct so far today. Dunn is a joke with a glove on his hand today.

Red: I hope I'm never right again if it has to be this way. I actually felt really bad for Dunn!

fisch11
04-03-2006, 10:36 PM
I've been waiting for Kearns, like everyone else, to find his groove again. But ever since fat ars Ray King fell on him he hasn't had the stroke. He teased us a couple of times by going down to Louisville and knockin' the seams off of the ball. Then he comes back up and is streaky at best. I would approve of a trade for a proven ace, but like others said he has to get his stock back up in order to get a good arm. I know a lot of GM's out there, like Bowden, would still kill to have him and still think that the potential is there. But it's going to take the first half of this season to figure where he stands in my opinion...and before any trade.

VI_RedsFan
04-04-2006, 06:00 PM
I would approve of a trade for a proven ace,

We won't get a proven ace for Kearns, but maybe one who can become one (Anthony Reyes, Chad Billingsly)

membengal
04-04-2006, 06:02 PM
I was very interested in someone's observation in the Game thread (M2 I think, but apologies if someone else, I am not going to re-read that monster) that Kearns' swing is still really screwed up, as evidenced by his miss of the homerun in the first. I think that is a great observation, and I am hoping that health allows him to re-find the stroke that we all saw in the sunburst of his prior to King sitting on his shoulder. Then again, perhaps he will never find it and this is who he is, a modern day Kal Daniels or Tracy Jones, someone who was good in short bursts but for whatever reason never put it together like they should.

reds44
04-04-2006, 06:06 PM
I am starting to think the pen may become a bigger concern then the starters.

lollipopcurve
04-04-2006, 06:20 PM
Kearns' swing is still really screwed up

I haven't seen much this year, but I did see the swing he put on the ball that went to the leftfield wall. In my view, that was a better swing than he would have had on the pitch last year. It was a Zambrano fastball riding up and in, and AK managed to get the barrelhead on it and drive it well up on the scoreboard. Last year, that pitch saws him off. There was still some minor loft in the swing, yes, but it wasn't severe, and the result was not a sky shot (pretty much the only way he homered to left last year was a sky shot). So, I was pleasantly surprised when I saw it for myself.
My question would be, has Kearns been throwing the bat this spring? If so, I'd take that as a bad sign. If not, a good sign. Obviously, I still need to see a lot more, but I am not yet convinced that Kearns won't be able to eventually work himself back to being pretty much the player he was pre Ray King.

Newman4
04-04-2006, 06:38 PM
Just at quick glance, here's a list of teams that could use Kearns:

St. Louis - Encarnacion, Edmonds, then ??? - Matty, you didn't like Kearns for Reyes, how about for Wainright?

Rockies - Would love to see this deal expanded to include Larue - Either Francis and Shealy or Jimenez, Morillo and Shealy.

Orioles - As mentioned, Kearns for Bedard, although I'd prefer Cabrera

Royals - Kearns for Greinke?

Any more possibilities?

reds44
04-04-2006, 06:40 PM
Kearns for Wainright the Cards would laugh at.

Izzardius
04-04-2006, 06:43 PM
I'd only deal Reyes or Wainwright(not both) IF:

1. Ponson establishes himself as a dependable starter
2. Kearns regains the form he had before Ray King

Reyes is totally off-limits right now, and Wainwright is close. We need to see how Ponson does before either of them become even remotely available. Of course, if the Phillies start dangling Bobby Abreu again, I'd consider it.

Raisor
04-04-2006, 08:24 PM
I am starting to think the pen may become a bigger concern then the starters.

never in life

tripleaaaron
04-06-2006, 08:29 PM
A freel/denorfia combo in left field would make much more sense, but I do tend to agree that denorfia isn't an everyday player. with that said I like him a little better than hatteberg.

The OF should be a wash from last year,

any time you take Wily Mo out of the rotation the defense is going to be tremendously better

Cedric
04-06-2006, 10:05 PM
A freel/denorfia combo in left field would make much more sense, but I do tend to agree that denorfia isn't an everyday player. with that said I like him a little better than hatteberg.

any time you take Wily Mo out of the rotation the defense is going to be tremendously better

Denorfia is so scrappy that he plays himself out of the lineup you say? Freel and Deno actually lose playing time because of something positive. Explain that one to me?

OnBaseMachine
04-09-2006, 08:25 AM
Even with their outfield logjam apparently settled, the Reds are still shopping Austin Kearns to see if he can bring back a decent starting pitcher in a trade.

http://www.nj.com/columns/ledger/graziano/index.ssf?/base/columns-0/114456426318820.xml&coll=1&thispage=3

I want more than a decent pitcher in return for Kearns. Austin has been hitting like his old self lately and because of that, I'm not so sure I want to see him traded. Now, if the Twins offer up Liriano then yes, I would do that deal. But I wouldn't deal for just a decent pitcher.

westofyou
04-09-2006, 10:24 AM
Now, if the Twins offer up Liriano then yes, I would do that deal. But I wouldn't deal for just a decent pitcher.

I would, this teams staff is going to be floating face down in the pool by the end of the month if they continue this pace.

Offense in the GAB doesn't seem to be that hard to create, it's the pitching that is killing the Reds.

Frankly , no one is safe IMO... it's about freaking time too.

Crash Davis
04-09-2006, 10:54 AM
Kearns for Wainright the Cards would laugh at.

I don't believe that for a second, but if true, the Cards would be mistaken.

OnBaseMachine
04-09-2006, 10:56 AM
I would deal Kearns, but not just for a decent pitcher. I want something of value - a young pitcher with a live arm. A decent pitcher is not going to make this team a contender, IMO.

Newman4
04-09-2006, 12:06 PM
"decent pitcher" is a vague term. Who do you all consider "decent"?

mound_patrol
04-11-2006, 09:04 AM
Saw this on Rumor Central. Doesn't say much more than the obvious of us wanting pitching.

Pitching a trade?
Apr 10 - Even though their outfield logjam is settled, the Reds are still shopping Austin Kearns to see if he can bring back a decent starting pitcher in a trade, the Newark Star-Ledger reports.

KearnsyEars
04-11-2006, 10:09 AM
he isn't going anywhere.

redsfan30
04-11-2006, 10:12 AM
This has been covered in numerous other threads.

Casey_21
04-11-2006, 10:12 AM
He better not be :thumbdown

mound_patrol
04-11-2006, 11:02 AM
I know it's been covered many times. I'm just posting what I saw. It was new to ESPN late yesturday. Take it for what it's worth

MartyFan
04-11-2006, 11:25 AM
I would, this teams staff is going to be floating face down in the pool by the end of the month if they continue this pace.

Offense in the GAB doesn't seem to be that hard to create, it's the pitching that is killing the Reds.

Ditto

NatiRedGals
04-11-2006, 11:29 AM
Well we can contend this year starters are not getting worse actually getting better bullpen though took at turn for the worst only consistent guys are coffey,weathers,mercker maybe wagner but dont bring him up yet still needs to gain confindence

deltachi8
04-11-2006, 11:30 AM

i second that.

bottom_feeder
04-11-2006, 09:27 PM
I agree. Let's explode this team and rebuild it the right way. I have full confidence in Mr K.

cincyinco
04-11-2006, 10:48 PM
I know everyone is eager to see things get done..

but patience.. good things come to those who wait.. Remember, Krivs has still only been on the job since what.. feb? 2 to 3 months?

KearnsyEars
04-11-2006, 10:55 PM
Kearns homered again today. Give him some time. I say give him this year to play every day and show what he can do. If he gets hurt, or doesn't put it together in a full year in RF, then maybe give up on him.

wheels
04-11-2006, 11:04 PM
There seems to be a lot of "chatter" regarding Kearns.

I think something is up this time.

KronoRed
04-11-2006, 11:10 PM
Don't recall much chatter about Pena.

I blame Dan O.