PDA

View Full Version : Why Does Jimmy Rollins Get To Roll Over His Hitting Streak From Last Year?

Hap
04-03-2006, 07:21 PM
If I recall, Hal Morris was not permitted to do so in 1996-1997.

GridironGrace
04-03-2006, 07:49 PM
Everyone Can.

However if he does hit successfully in the 57th game he will hold a DIFFERENT RECORD.

Longest Hitting streak over 2 seasons.

kaldaniels
04-03-2006, 07:49 PM
Since owners may no longer allow steroid use to inflate numbers and acheive records...they have resorted to a new option...bending the rules. ;)

wheels
04-03-2006, 09:23 PM
I don't care.

The streak will end whenever the fates decide to end it.

Shaknb8k
04-03-2006, 09:33 PM
I believe I heard somewhere that if he would break the record then DiMaggio would hold the single season hit streak record but Rollins would hold what is going to be called the career hit streak record.

kaldaniels
04-03-2006, 09:45 PM
I believe I heard somewhere that if he would break the record then DiMaggio would hold the single season hit streak record but Rollins would hold what is going to be called the career hit streak record.

In all seriousness you are correct. There are the single season and all-time consectutive hits records. Joltin' Joe will keep one record regardless.

(By the way, did you know he dunked his donuts!)

redsmetz
04-03-2006, 10:39 PM
Everyone Can.

However if he does hit successfully in the 57th game he will hold a DIFFERENT RECORD.

Longest Hitting streak over 2 seasons.

I believe this is an accurate assessment of what Morris was facing. It is, of course, different. DiMagg didn't have a five month hiatus before resuming his chase. :)

fisch11
04-03-2006, 10:44 PM
If anything though, it makes it even more difficult for Jimmy to reach it. For him to be hot at the end of last year and then just cut it off and try to pick up where he left off now? In my opinion, that's more of a challenge. Everybody knows baseball is full of momentum and hot streaks.

M2
04-03-2006, 11:47 PM
Barry Larkin rolled over a hitting streak early in his career, '88-'89 I believe.

This is nothing new. I mentioned this in another thread, but if Rollins manages to beat DiMaggio's 56-game streak I'll consider it the more impressive achievement. DiMaggio didn't have a six-month hiatus threatening to cool off his bat. I think the larger issue is that Jimmy Rollins is no Joe D and people don't think he's worthy of breaking such a hallowed record.

BoydsOfSummer
04-04-2006, 12:59 AM
I'm with M2. Carrying it over for any length is more impressive to me. You gotta believe Rollins felt more pressure on that last at-bat today than at anytime during last year.

cincyinco
04-04-2006, 01:54 AM
I'm with M2. Carrying it over for any length is more impressive to me. You gotta believe Rollins felt more pressure on that last at-bat today than at anytime during last year.

To play devils advocate...

D's streak was more impressive becuase he was still under the full grind of the anual wears and tears a season brings...

Rollins has had several months to rest..

:p

Dom Heffner
04-04-2006, 02:13 AM
If Rollins cannot hold DiMaggio;s record, then who exactly is he chasing? Who holds the record for hitting streak over two seasons or career hit streak, whatever we call it?

Just seems contradictory to say on one hand he's chasing DiMaggio and then on the other hand say Joe will still hold a record.

GridironGrace
04-04-2006, 02:54 AM
I feel if rollins does it its kinda a Better feat.

I mean 56 games str8 is AWESOME

But when u take 5 months of to think about how ur 20 games from tieing that record lol

PRESSURES gonna build a tad.

However i agree.. if broken rollins will own the Record for hittin streak over a 2 year span..

But here's the deal.. say he gets to #57 then he still has a 21 Game hit streak THIS SEASON :)

Id like to see him get close...... i wont lie id like to see him break it. then i can say i seen it done in my lifetime. Something exciting aobut a Record like that being chased.

either way.. congrats to any player who even gets close.

Dom Heffner
04-04-2006, 03:11 PM
Just seems to me that if you hit in 45 straight games, it doesn't really matter when they took place, as long as there were no other chances to miss the streak in between.

If Rollins hits in 60 straight, then to me he breaks the record and then we can argue which was a larger feat. DiMaggio shouldn't be given a record all his own becuase he was lucky enough to start his in July or whenever he did.

Baseball tries to hold on to its past like nothing I've ever seen.

cincyinco
04-04-2006, 04:57 PM
Baseball tries to hold on to its past like nothing I've ever seen.

Eh.. I think thats what makes this game great myself. History. Quirks. You just dont find them in any other sport like you do in baseball.

Eric_Davis
04-04-2006, 06:52 PM
Then from what I am reading....what the heck is he chasing?

He already holds the consecutive hit record over two season. He's only adding to his own record, and he's got 55 more to go before he ties DiMaggio.

Chip R
04-04-2006, 07:08 PM
This is how I see it. Did they make Cal Ripkin, Jr. start all over again on his consecutive games played streak just because the season ended? Of course not. So why should Rollins be judged differently. If he hits in 20 more games in a row he will have the all time consecutive games hitting streak. DiMaggio will still hold the record for one season unless Rollins hits in 37 more after that.

Highlifeman21
04-04-2006, 11:14 PM
This is how I see it. Did they make Cal Ripkin, Jr. start all over again on his consecutive games played streak just because the season ended? Of course not. So why should Rollins be judged differently. If he hits in 20 more games in a row he will have the all time consecutive games hitting streak. DiMaggio will still hold the record for one season unless Rollins hits in 37 more after that.

There's already controversy with the Rollins streak in Philly, namely LaRussa having his pitcher groove J Roll a 3-0 pitch so he could extend his number. What's even worse is that EVERY FM radio station made an announcement after their current song, while 93.3 cut in mid-song to let the Philly-Faithful know that the most overpaid SS in baseball might as well hit off a tee in game #1 in his final at bat....

As for Joe D, there's only gonna be 2 things for which he should be remembered. 1, he nailed Marilyn Monroe. 2, he holds one of the most overhyped records in all of sports. I'm not even all that convinced that his 56 was all that impressive, but that's the cynic in me. I'm still one of those guys in the minority that think Joe D was one of the most overrated players in baseball history.

M2
04-04-2006, 11:25 PM
What pitcher doesn't groove a 3-0 fastball when his team is up 13-5 in the 8th inning?

PTBNL
04-04-2006, 11:30 PM
He IS NOT the most overpaid SS in baseball!
That honor goes to Rafael Furcal in my book :D

Highlifeman21
04-04-2006, 11:33 PM
What pitcher doesn't groove a 3-0 fastball when his team is up 13-5 in the 8th inning?

The classy move would have been for LaRussa to tell his guy to intentionally walk J Roll, or hit him to end the streak ;) . I for one hope that the Broad Street Bombers really suck this year for no other reason than it'll make tickets easier to get when the Reds are in town in August.

PS - the Reds should get Ryan Howard from Philly, he's a beast.

westofyou
04-04-2006, 11:40 PM
http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=4938

There are those who don't believe Jimmy Rollins' pursuit of Joe DiMaggio's consecutive-game hit streak is legit because it stretches over two seasons. If you buy this line of reasoning, that means that once the season gets to Game #107, the record is safe for another year. That's silly, really. At no time ever was DiMaggio's record qualified with the prefix "single-season." Not only that, but the rules make no mention of it. In fact, if you look at the text of the rule governing streaks (10.24 of the Major League Baseball Official Rulebook), you'll find that it allows for stoppages in play of all kinds:

"Consecutive Game Hitting Streaks: A consecutive game hitting streak shall not be terminated if all the player's plate appearances (one or more) result in a base on balls, hit batsman, defensive interference or a sacrifice bunt. The streak shall terminate if the player has a sacrifice fly and no hit. The player's individual consecutive game hitting streak shall be determined by the consecutive games in which the player appears and is not determined by his club's games."

Doesn't this last sentence open up all sorts of gaps in play? If John Paciorek--a player famous for getting three hits in his only big league game in 1963--had managed to revive his playing career ten years later and had gone on a 56-game hitting streak to start the 1973 season, the record would be his and not DiMaggio's. Is there any other way to interpret the phrase "determined by the consecutive games in which the player appears?"

I also think that had a player of greater obscurity held the record, not as many people would be questioning the validity of Rollins' challenge. Because DiMaggio is one of the iconic figures of the 20th Century, there are those who want to see him keep the signature mark of his career. If Willie Keeler or Tommy Holmes had managed to hang in there longer and set the record, I'm guessing this wouldn't be an issue.

BoydsOfSummer
04-05-2006, 04:09 AM
If my team is up that much late in the game, my pitchers damn well BETTER be throwing ("grooving") strikes.

OldXOhio
04-05-2006, 08:11 AM
This is how I see it. Did they make Cal Ripkin, Jr. start all over again on his consecutive games played streak just because the season ended? Of course not. So why should Rollins be judged differently.

Because the record Ripken was pursuing was achieved under the same pretenses.

macro
04-05-2006, 08:14 AM
Good thing for Rollins he wasn't facing Gene Garber.

KearnsyEars
04-05-2006, 11:27 AM
If I recall, Hal Morris was not permitted to do so in 1996-1997.

Great point I was thinking the same thing, I was at the game in 1997 when Morris' hitting streak was snapped but it didn't matter because it didn't count. :thumbdown

RBA
04-05-2006, 07:21 PM
Add another hit today.

wheels
04-05-2006, 08:36 PM
I really hope he breaks it.

Watch the sparks fly.