PDA

View Full Version : hypothetical situation

cincrazy
04-04-2006, 06:06 PM
Let me propose a scenario real quick. A scenario that may be very far-fetched, but so be it. Say we're out of it at the deadline, or at least on the verge of eventually falling out, and the Yankees are looking for a DH/1st baseman type to help make their offense even stronger. Say Giambi gets hurt or falters or something. What if they were to inquire about Adam Dunn, and we shot back with a proposal that we'll give them Adam Dunn for Phillip Hughes and a few additional pieces. For those of you that don't know much about Hughes, he's a stud pitcher, who could one day be a perennial all star and ace. So, in a completely hypothetical situation, do you trade Dunn for that young, potential No. 1 type starter that we all dream of?

pedro
04-04-2006, 06:09 PM
no. you don't trade current production for maybe potential.

IslandRed
04-04-2006, 06:16 PM
We have Dunn signed for the next three years (if we want the third). There's no urgency to trade him. So I'd want more than Hughes -- good reviews so far, but he's been hurt some, he hasn't pitched above A-ball, and no one has confused him with Felix Hernandez -- and spare parts.

reds44
04-04-2006, 06:17 PM
It would take alot more then Hughes.

KronoRed
04-04-2006, 06:19 PM
Yanks don't have enough for Dunn

dougdirt
04-04-2006, 06:42 PM
Krono I would disagree....I would take that Rodriguez guy they start over there at 3rd base for Dunn.

As for Hughes, he is starting out in AA this year and come June or July there will be a much better feel for how good he is. I will hold judgement on whether I would take Hughes for Dunn along with a few other prospects.

KronoRed
04-04-2006, 06:43 PM
Krono I would disagree....I would take that Rodriguez guy they start over there at 3rd base for Dunn.

Sure, but then we'd have to trade everyone else just to pay him ;)

cincrazy
04-04-2006, 06:48 PM
Well, say Hughes has a great season, , or any other young stud pitcher in any other organization for that matter. My question is: Would you trade Dunn for a young top arm that you knew would give the organization a top tier starter? Obviously this is impossible, no one can ever be sure about any player in baseball. But that IF there was some way we could indeed look into a crystal ball and see how good someone would be. Would you rather have a guy in Dunn who will hit 45 homers a year, or a regular 18-20 game winner?

dougdirt
04-04-2006, 06:49 PM
So true....but you never said we had to worry about salary haha.

dougdirt
04-04-2006, 06:51 PM
cincrazy, if Hughes puts up a similar year that he did last year, this season in AA, I would pull that trigger faster than you can blink....as long as he didnt have any more shoulder inflamation.

TeamBoone
04-04-2006, 07:48 PM
I would never, ever trade Adam Dunn for prospects... no matter how tantalizing they may look in the minors. Never, ever.

edabbs44
04-04-2006, 10:48 PM
The one thing you have to be wary of is that, on a yearly basis, the Yankees get the spin doctors out in full force to pump up the value of their minor leaguers. Believe me, I live in Jersey and I want to vomit every time there is a buzz around one of these guys. Everyone was salivating over Cano and Wang last season and for what? Both were solid, but nothing spectacular. The Reds have been burned by the Yanks so many times (Henson, Melian, Wily Mo, Aramboles, etc etc etc) they should stop trading with them like they are Cuba. I swear, Bowden was definitely auditioning for a job with them.
IF, and I say IF, Dunn were to be traded, they would need a lot of talent in return. Griffey would be the guy to go to NY, and I bet we wouldn't have to eat too much $. But if we HAD to trade Dunn to the Evil Empire, it would have to be Hughes, Duncan and J Brent Cox for Dunn and Weathers. Remember...Dunn, barring injury, will hit 600 bombs. Think back to the crowds when Jr. was closing in on 500.