PDA

View Full Version : With EE's rough day...

kyred14
04-04-2006, 07:29 PM
What's the chance's of Narron starting RA at 3rd tomorrow?

I'd say 70%.

KronoRed
04-04-2006, 07:31 PM
If he does then he really is as bad as Boone

Team Clark
04-04-2006, 07:35 PM
I'd say 100%. If he can't hit Rusch then he's really in trouble. Freel will probably play 2B.

reds44
04-04-2006, 07:53 PM
0%

MrCinatit
04-04-2006, 07:55 PM
If Narron gives up on the guy after only one day, we need to find a new manager now.

NatiRedGals
04-04-2006, 08:03 PM
toatlly argee and i do belive womack will start 2nd over freel again maybe freel will play for kearns? Who knows but i know womacks gonna be in the lineup

flyer85
04-04-2006, 08:05 PM
Narron said before the opener that on Wednesday Freel would play 2nd and Aurilia 1st.

KronoRed
04-04-2006, 08:06 PM
Narron said earlier that on Wednesday Freel would play 2nd and Aurilia 1st.
Womack to left then

kbrake
04-04-2006, 08:14 PM
No matter what Narron does tomorrow I think we need to find a new manager.

Heath
04-04-2006, 08:15 PM
Womack to left then

Bad Krono. Bad. Go to your room. No dessert tonight.

:D

TeamBoone
04-04-2006, 08:32 PM
You know, if he does that (play RA at 3rd and maybe even if he plays RF at 2B), I am going to be so angry... not that it matters how I feel.

What it will say to me is that this team doesn't have a regular starting lineup, and in my opinion, that is fundamental. And for someone who is so gung ho on fundamentals, you'd think the manager would realize that as well. Instead, he's more worried about finding playing time for the bench and "keeping them sharp". Perhaps he should give as much consideration and thought to his "starters".

It seems to me that successful baseball teams do not have a different starting lineup every day, nor do they CONSTANTLY change the batting order. If a starter doesn't play well on a consistent basis, that's a different story. But for Pete's sake give them a chance before you start inserting the bench players into starter roles. This has been a problem for many seaons (the last five losing seasons for sure).

This Boone/Miley syndrome is giving me heart palpatations. And if this happens it will have yet a new name... Boone/Miley/Narron syndrome. God!!

westofyou
04-04-2006, 09:29 PM
What's the chance's of Narron starting RA at 3rd tomorrow?
Somewhere Leo Durocher laughs at this question.

Ron Madden
04-05-2006, 05:33 AM
Somewhere Leo Durocher laughs at this question.

Leo once started a young center fielder who never even hit a loud foul ball in his first 15 times to the plate. ;)

redsmetz
04-05-2006, 05:47 AM
You know, if he does that (play RA at 3rd and maybe even if he plays RF at 2B), I am going to be so angry... not that it matters how I feel.

What it will say to me is that this team doesn't have a regular starting lineup, and in my opinion, that is fundamental. And for someone who is so gung ho on fundamentals, you'd think the manager would realize that as well. Instead, he's more worried about finding playing time for the bench and "keeping them sharp". Perhaps he should give as much consideration and thought to his "starters".

They ran a film before the Opening Day game and in one segment about the Big Red Machine, they mentioned that the entire starting eight for that team actually only started about 25% of the time, which astounded me. Now, I'm not saying this team holds a torch to that team, but I thought I'd mention it nonetheless.

RedsBaron
04-05-2006, 07:01 AM
They ran a film before the Opening Day game and in one segment about the Big Red Machine, they mentioned that the entire starting eight for that team actually only started about 25% of the time, which astounded me. Now, I'm not saying this team holds a torch to that team, but I thought I'd mention it nonetheless.
In 1976, Sparky Anderson started the "Great Eight" regulars only 46 times in the regular season. The Reds went 36-10 in those games. Counting the postseason, the 1976 Reds went 43-10, a .811%, in games that all eight regulars started. Over 87 games in 1975-76, including the postseason, the Great Eight went 69-18, .793%. They were scrappy.

RedsBaron
04-05-2006, 07:02 AM
EE should be the regular thirdbaseman for at least the first couple of months. The Reds need to see if he can play at this level.

MrCinatit
04-05-2006, 07:18 AM
Leo once started a young center fielder who never even hit a loud foul ball in his first 15 times to the plate. ;)

You're talking about Don Ross, right? I looked through Durocher's career, and he was the only one i found.
well, i did stop in '51, because i know the Giants sure never had any great centerfielders in the '50s or '60s. :p:

remdog
04-05-2006, 08:42 AM
In 1976, Sparky Anderson started the "Great Eight" regulars only 46 times in the regular season. The Reds went 36-10 in those games. Counting the postseason, the 1976 Reds went 43-10, a .811%, in games that all eight regulars started. Over 87 games in 1975-76, including the postseason, the Great Eight went 69-18, .793%. They were scrappy.

In case someone didn't do the math, that .793 winning percentage extrapolates to 128 wins over a full 162 game season.

Nice work, RB.

Rem

medford
04-05-2006, 09:18 AM
Anyone else think that Narron & company fell in love w/ EE hot start to spring training, and have him too high in the batting order? With his lack of experience, I'd much rather see him hitting in the 7th hole. I say switch Kearns & EE around until EE proves that he's ready to be a 5 hole hitter.

Additionally, I think its time for Kearns to stop living off his potential. This is really a put up or shut up year for him. I'd like to see how he handles the 5 spot behind Dunn. If he's as good as we all thought he was before Ray King sat on him, then he should be able to handle it well.

Cedric
04-05-2006, 09:37 AM
Anyone else think that Narron & company fell in love w/ EE hot start to spring training, and have him too high in the batting order? With his lack of experience, I'd much rather see him hitting in the 7th hole. I say switch Kearns & EE around until EE proves that he's ready to be a 5 hole hitter.

Additionally, I think its time for Kearns to stop living off his potential. This is really a put up or shut up year for him. I'd like to see how he handles the 5 spot behind Dunn. If he's as good as we all thought he was before Ray King sat on him, then he should be able to handle it well.

Not sure. I will say that he has the longest swing on the team, even longer than Griffey now. I don't think that works with Carlos Zambrano. But hell, who hits Zambrano usually? He makes all rookies look stupid.

Kc61
04-05-2006, 09:42 AM

Agreed. Don't know what Narron is thinking with EE fifth. Kearns should be fifth, EE seventh.

I do think EE will get the full shot at third. Freel and RA will play second and first against lefties; Womack and Hatteberg against righties; Freel and Aurilia will also occasionally fill in elsewhere for rests, injuries, etc.

lollipopcurve
04-05-2006, 09:43 AM
As Narron said, EdE may go 1-20, but he'll hit eventually.

cincrazy
04-05-2006, 09:43 AM
TeamBoone i agree with you. i hate the fact that Narron switches lineups so much. Bob Boone also did that and drove me crazy. Remember the Adam Dunn at leadoff situation? It was always something with him. Hopefully after Womack starts the year batting .001, Narron will ease up on the lineup situation

redsmetz
04-05-2006, 11:28 AM
Agreed. Don't know what Narron is thinking with EE fifth. Kearns should be fifth, EE seventh.

I do think EE will get the full shot at third. Freel and RA will play second and first against lefties; Womack and Hatteberg against righties; Freel and Aurilia will also occasionally fill in elsewhere for rests, injuries, etc.

From the Enquirer, March 10th:

"I think he's going to be a middle-of-the-order guy," Narron said. "We're talking about a young kid. He's got some growing to do.

"The big thing is if he's going to be an RBI guy that's going to drive in the big runs there in the middle of the order. That's what we're going to have to find out."

And from MLB.com on March 15th, he said:

"Last year when he was up, he was hitting in the eight-hole all year for us when he was there and had no protection behind him," Narron said. "It put him at a little bit of a disadvantage coming into the big leagues."

I think that's what he's thinking. My decrying lack of production in the first game doesn't mean I think EE is shot for the year. He'll learn and I think he'll be the better for it.

registerthis
04-05-2006, 11:36 AM
Taking anything from Opening Day as representative of long-term value is simply foolhardy, either from the manager's or the fan's perspectives. E_E will hit, Womack won't maintain an .800 OBP, Dunn won't hit 162 HRs, and Harang won't lose 30 games with an ERA of 6.00+.

E_E will be starting at third today, and likely through April. If he's pulling a Brandon Larson come April 30, you might see some changes.

M2
04-05-2006, 11:44 AM
Taking anything from Opening Day as representative of long-term value is simply foolhardy, either from the manager's or the fan's perspectives. E_E will hit, Womack won't maintain an .800 OBP, Dunn won't hit 162 HRs, and Harang won't lose 30 games with an ERA of 6.00+.

E_E will be starting at third today, and likely through April. If he's pulling a Brandon Larson come April 30, you might see some changes.

Well, there's a refreshing jolt of sensibility.

Puffy
04-05-2006, 11:45 AM
Who knows but i know womacks gonna be in the lineup

Lineup is posted and no Womack.

I thought you knew?