PDA

View Full Version : New Busch Stadium

cincy09
04-10-2006, 03:54 PM
Watching the Astros game today, and they mentioned that St. Louis has already sold out for the season! Kinda reminds me of Jacobs field when that was opened.

maniem
04-10-2006, 04:20 PM
I have tickets to this weekend's series in St. Louis. I'm looking forward to seeing the new stadium. I was only at the old Busch once, but take away the arches on the top ring of the stadium, and I swear I was sitting in Riverfront. I'm obviously going to be surrounded by the other "Red", but i'm hoping the Reds can win at least 1 game. Take 2 of 3 at Wrigley and win one in St. Louis, and I would call that a successful road trip. It will be interesting to see if this new ballpark is as much of a hitter's park as the GAB is. If so, the Reds might be in some trouble this weekend.

redsfan30
04-10-2006, 04:29 PM
I'm going to turn on the game on Extra Innings when I get home, but honestly the pictures I've seen of the place don't leave me too impressed with it. It's altogether possible that I'll like it when I see it on TV, but if it doesn't look much better than what I've seen in print, I'm not impressed with it.

rdiersin
04-10-2006, 04:38 PM
I'm going to turn on the game on Extra Innings when I get home, but honestly the pictures I've seen of the place don't leave me too impressed with it. It's altogether possible that I'll like it when I see it on TV, but if it doesn't look much better than what I've seen in print, I'm not impressed with it.

I think it is impressive, but it is similar to many of the other ones that have been built. The dimensions are very similar to GABP from the little that I've seen. Not sure about the walls though. Bill Hall just became a Cards killer too with a HR.

Chip R
04-10-2006, 04:42 PM
Bill Hall just became a Cards killer too with a HR.

Good to see he's an equal opportunity team killer.

Reds Fanatic
04-10-2006, 04:49 PM
I think it is impressive, but it is similar to many of the other ones that have been built. The dimensions are very similar to GABP from the little that I've seen. Not sure about the walls though. Bill Hall just became a Cards killer too with a HR.
The dimensions are 335 to right and left, about 390 in right center and left center and 400 to center field.

Red Leader
04-10-2006, 04:51 PM
Looks a lot like GABP, although, to be honest, I like the open back of the New Busch better than I like GABP. There is an image gallery on ESPN of it now if you want to look at more pictures.

KearnsyEars
04-10-2006, 04:58 PM
Did they just change old busch stadium? Or completely tear down old bush and rebuild this one? I'm confused. Are they re-using some of old Busch?

Red Leader
04-10-2006, 04:58 PM
Pujols just HR'd to deep center at the New Busch.

I would have never guessed.

Red Leader
04-10-2006, 04:59 PM
Did they just change old busch stadium? Or completely tear down old bush and rebuild this one? I'm confused. Are they re-using some of old Busch?

Never recycle old busch :nono: That should be a commandment.

Anyway, this is a brand new ballpark. Just like GABP is.

reds44
04-10-2006, 05:02 PM
Did anybody notice how like half of the upper deck wasn't even opne?

KearnsyEars
04-10-2006, 05:08 PM
Pujols just HR'd to deep center at the New Busch.

I would have never guessed.

I would say 'you gotta be kidding me!?!' but it's Pujols. Of course he did, and I was just abou to ask and wonder who hit the first HR at the new park. Fitting that his legend adds this feather in the cap and continues to grow.

He is awesome, my favorite NON red in the NL, and he IS a future HOF

KearnsyEars
04-10-2006, 05:09 PM
anyone think he hits 50 this season? I do. Its going to be him and Dunn dueling for the HR title until late Sept. IMO

rdiersin
I would say 'you gotta be kidding me!?!' but it's Pujols. Of course he did, and I was just abou to ask and wonder who hit the first HR at the new park. Fitting that his legend adds this feather in the cap and continues to grow.

What's funny is that he wasn't the first. Bill Hall homered earlier. That Bill Hall....

Red Leader

He was the first Cardinal to hit a HR in that park. Bill Hall of the Brewers was the first player to hit a HR in that park. He HR'd earlier in the game.

Chip R
04-10-2006, 05:21 PM
He was the first Cardinal to hit a HR in that park.

Somewhere in Busch Stadium, George Grande weeps.

rdiersin
04-10-2006, 05:25 PM
Somewhere in Busch Stadium, George Grande weeps.

No he got to see Edmonds break up a DP, it was a pretty scrappy move.

EDIT: and the diving catch, of course

KronoRed
04-10-2006, 06:10 PM
New cookie cutter definition.

Almost all the new parks look the same, I thought new Busch looked more like the Phillies place then GAB

indyred
04-10-2006, 06:16 PM
The dimensions are 335 to right and left, about 390 in right center and left center and 400 to center field.

Wish GAB had these diminsions...................This should be more of a pitcher's park.........

rdiersin
04-10-2006, 06:16 PM
Did anybody notice how like half of the upper deck wasn't even opne?

They were just talking about that. I guess the facilities weren't ready, so that section won't be open for awhile.

KronoRed
04-10-2006, 06:22 PM
Rest of it won't be done till next year, parts that were built where Busch II was.

BoomerSoonerRed
04-11-2006, 01:53 AM
All that construction stuff going on behind left field was actually the old Busch. Right field at the old Busch overlapped into what is now left field at the new Busch. They're talking about creating a "Ballpark Village" where the old Busch used to stand, where they'll have pregame and postgame activities and stuff going on.
Personally, even though I don't like the Cardinals, I like the new Busch. I like how they got the Arch to play a dominating role, whereas it was in the background of the old Busch. I also like how they're incorporating the rest of downtown in the background.
I visited the old Busch a couple of years ago (I saw the Reds play there two days before Junior hit his 500th there), and, other than the fact that it was just a big concrete jungle, one complaint I had was that the sound system was inferior. You could barely hear the PA man or the organist (they showed him on the Jumbotron playing during the 7th inning stretch BTW). Just from watching the game on TV today, seems like they upgraded the sound system big time at the new park. Even Joe Buck commented on how loud it was.
Time will tell if it becomes a hitters park, a la GABP and Coors, or a pitcher's park, a la Petco. But if the pitcher can hit one out on opening day, then that could be a telltale sign.

KronoRed
04-11-2006, 03:18 AM
They're talking about creating a "Ballpark Village" where the old Busch used to stand, where they'll have pregame and postgame activities and stuff going on.

I hope they do better then what's happend with the old site of Cinergy.

Yes..I'm talking about the big ditch.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/Kronosb/stadiums.jpg

MattyHo4Life
04-11-2006, 06:30 AM
Watching the Astros game today, and they mentioned that St. Louis has already sold out for the season! Kinda reminds me of Jacobs field when that was opened.

They sold out for the entire season just a few hours after tickets went on sale. I was finally able to get through on the phone about 4 hours after they went on sale, and all that was left was standing room only seats for every game. They did sell some tickets since then for a new area that they finished earlier than they thought. Also, you can buy tickets from season ticket holders, but it isn't easy to get a ticket for the new ballpark. The ballpark villiage will be constructed over the next 5 years, and will have a lot of residential units.

beb30
04-11-2006, 08:49 AM
I hope they do better then what's happend with the old site of Cinergy.

Yes..I'm talking about the big ditch.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/Kronosb/stadiums.jpg

What!? How can you not like that empty space of nothing?

I mean we do have the Freedom Center that is attracting people by the millions!!!!!!!!

I also will be visiting the new Busch Stadium this weekend (saturday's game) and after looking at some of the pics on ESPN.com yesterday it really angers me how ballparks like PNC, Citizens Bank, Camden, Jacobs, and the new Busch did a great job in building a park where as Great American looks like a half butt job. I mean you look at their statues at those stadiums and they are big, nice looking, and have plaques of accomplishments. Ours look like very cheap and just put in a random spots (yes i know its to make it look like they are on the field playing). Kind of depressing:rolleyes:

go here to see what I'm talking about:
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/flash/zoomGallery?section=gen&photoGalleryId=2403785

maniem
04-11-2006, 10:35 AM
I really like how the city skyline with the arch is so visible beyond the outfield. Why didn't the GAB do this? I still don't understand why our view is towards the river. Cincinnati has a pretty decent skyline and yet makes no use of it at all. Was there a particular reason why the stadium is positioned the way it is? I seem to remember something about home plate having to face a certain way because of the sun and MLB "advised" them to put it the way it is now.

MattyHo4Life
04-11-2006, 10:59 AM
I really like how the city skyline with the arch is so visible beyond the outfield. Why didn't the GAB do this? I still don't understand why our view is towards the river. Cincinnati has a pretty decent skyline and yet makes no use of it at all. Was there a particular reason why the stadium is positioned the way it is? I seem to remember something about home plate having to face a certain way because of the sun and MLB "advised" them to put it the way it is now.

I haven't been inside yet, but I'm going on Friday. I love how they used the skyline as the backdrop for the view from homeplate though.

tsj017
04-11-2006, 01:25 PM
New cookie cutter definition.

Almost all the new parks look the same, I thought new Busch looked more like the Phillies place then GAB

Yep. We've exchanged the 1970 cookie-cutter model for an updated, 21st Century cookie-cutter model.

St. Louis looks like Philly looks like Atlanta looks like San Fran, and so on.

This is one reason I like GABP. It may have its flaws, but it doesn't look like the majority of the new parks.

Still, the "retro" cookie-cutter model is more aesthetically pleasing than the "concrete bowl" model of 1970.

KronoRed
04-11-2006, 03:28 PM
Can't have people in buildings watching the game for free :devil:

They could make it look a lot better by painting that bridge that the parks opens up on.

WebScorpion
04-11-2006, 03:35 PM

The batter must face northeast, east, or southeast, I think. A field is not allowed to point north or northwest. If GAB was where PBS is currently located, you could do it. :rolleyes:

beb30
04-11-2006, 03:37 PM
The new ballparks look nothing like the old "cookie cutter" ballparks. I dont know why i keep seeing people say they are cookie cutter models? They arent even remotely close. Cookie cutters where just round and boring. All the new parks have actual design to them. I can actually speak on experience having been to the following:

PNC Park
Jacobs
Camden
Citizens Bank
Comerica
Miller
GABP

Chip R
04-11-2006, 03:44 PM
The new ballparks look nothing like the old "cookie cutter" ballparks. I dont know why i keep seeing people say they are cookie cutter models? They arent even remotely close. Cookie cutters where just round and boring. All the new parks have actual design to them. I can actually speak on experience having been to the following:

PNC Park
Jacobs
Camden
Citizens Bank
Comerica
Miller
GABP

I thrink what people are saying is that while the new parks are different they have a lot of similarities. "Cookie Cutter" is probably a misnomer. Unoriginal may be a better adjective.

KronoRed
04-11-2006, 03:46 PM
But to be fair..how many ways can you build a baseball stadium?

indyred
04-11-2006, 11:56 PM
It is a little disappointing seeing these new Parks and what could have been done with GAB.........with this being my first year living in greater Reds area and following the team.........was there a few different models they floated as designs??????........Believe me though....I really like GAB from my one visit there last year and plan on going to a few games this season..........it's light years better than the Metrodome, where I had to watch baseball as a kid.....i'm sure they will do more stuff outside.......my biggest beef with the park is the short fences..........For the most part left is ok........i think they could easily move center field area out some...not much seating for the most part there in the batter's eye area.......and most of right field could be tweaked, without much reconstruction........i'd like to center field area moved out another 6-8 ft........right field moved back and 10-15 ft.....and raise the fence in areas all around where there is no seating and the park would play more neutal....would still be a hitter's park, but not as much of a dinger place......

reds44
04-12-2006, 12:04 AM
Miller Park is the best new stadium, IMO.

indyred
04-12-2006, 12:05 AM

I had heard bad things about it......then went there 2 years ago and loved it......my 2nd favorite new one behind PNC Park.........

KearnsyEars
04-12-2006, 12:36 AM
Gosh dang I love GABP and Cincinnati

WMR
04-12-2006, 01:20 AM
GABP is bland and the smoke stacks look cheap... i don't dislike it per se, but it wouldn't evoke any special thoughts etc. if it weren't the home of the reds

beb30
04-12-2006, 01:52 PM

Miller was really nice but id rank Safeco, Citizens Bank, PNC all above that in the case of new parks

redsfanmia
04-12-2006, 03:20 PM
GABP is a nice, boring park. Its clean and comfortable but there is nothing special about. I was very disappointed in it and think that the city went cheap when building it. Paul Brown Stadium is the best stadium I have ever been in and the Reds got the generic step brother treatment.

indyred
04-12-2006, 03:42 PM
GABP is a nice, boring park. Its clean and comfortable but there is nothing special about. I was very disappointed in it and think that the city went cheap when building it. Paul Brown Stadium is the best stadium I have ever been in and the Reds got the generic step brother treatment.
What do ya mean...it's got the gap in the upper deck behind home plate.....don't you hear everyone oooooh and ah about that feature...:D

beb30
04-13-2006, 12:06 PM
What do ya mean...it's got the gap in the upper deck behind home plate.....don't you hear everyone oooooh and ah about that feature...:D

I know its so amazing...Everytime i see it im like "whoa! check out the notch/gap in stadium":rolleyes:

guttle11
04-13-2006, 01:15 PM

I agree. I was at the Opening Series up there. Outstanding. The way the roof opens is unique and amazing.

Red Leader
04-13-2006, 02:01 PM
I know its so amazing...Everytime i see it im like "whoa! check out the notch/gap in stadium":rolleyes:

Or, "when are they gonna finish construction on this damn thing?" ;)

indyred
04-13-2006, 02:02 PM
I can see it being the new rage in ballpark design......you will start hearing about the gap/notch effect being inspired by GAB.....:laugh: