PDA

View Full Version : Seperate Minor League Forum

Red Leader
04-12-2006, 05:21 PM
Wanted to take a poll on this. OnBaseMachine does an awesome job with the minor league recaps, and many, many other posters contribute minor league affliate information. I was curious to see who would be in favor of having a seperate Minor League Baseball Talk Forum. This forum would cover minor league box scores for all of the Reds affiliates, as well as other teams if you'd like to discuss them. You could have posts on minor league players that you've seen play, or want other to "keep an eye on." Players that you think might come up in future trades, or players that should be traded because they are "blocked," i.e. Ryan Shealy.

I think it would be nice to have a seperate forum for Minor League Baseball news and information, and keep it seperate from the main Reds Live and Old Red Guard Forums. Anyone else?

Answer YES, if you in favor of having a seperate Minor League Forum
Answer NO, if you are NOT in favor of having a seperate Minor League Forum.

Also (and this would have to be approved by Boss-Hog) this forum should be open to ALL posters, not just posters with ORG priviledges.

OnBaseMachine
04-12-2006, 05:22 PM
Yes. Good idea.

rdiersin
04-12-2006, 05:24 PM
Yea, I think its a good idea too, RL.

BRM
04-12-2006, 05:26 PM
Yes. I like the idea.

TRF
04-12-2006, 05:27 PM
yeah. sometimes with the total number of threads, I can miss the ML stuff.

Joseph
04-12-2006, 05:28 PM
"And I shall call him, Mini Me."

VI_RedsFan
04-12-2006, 05:29 PM
Yes, sounds like a great idea.

cincy09
04-12-2006, 05:31 PM
sounds great

ochre
04-12-2006, 05:37 PM
and RL gets to be a moderator responsible only for moving threads to the appropriate forums :)

Mention that top prospect the Reds are looking to get from the Braves? Boom. Minor league forum thread split.

:)

Gallen5862
04-12-2006, 05:38 PM
I like the idea.

KronoRed
04-12-2006, 05:40 PM
Go for it.

Red Leader
04-12-2006, 05:41 PM
and RL gets to be a moderator responsible only for moving threads to the appropriate forums :)

Mention that top prospect the Reds are looking to get from the Braves? Boom. Minor league forum thread split.

The world needs ditch-diggers, too.
:laugh:

dougdirt
04-12-2006, 05:42 PM
wonderful idea!

Joseph
04-12-2006, 05:44 PM
The world needs ditch-diggers, too.
:laugh:

Need a shovel?

KronoRed
04-12-2006, 05:45 PM
Ergonomic.
http://images.canadiantire.ca/media/images/SnowRemoval/0596992_160_CC_3aa51.jpg

Mario-Rijo
04-12-2006, 05:55 PM
I like it, only one question. Where do we draw the line on what belongs where. For example when it comes to trades that involve both minor and majors do we still keep it and any corresponding info (on the minor leaguers involved) on Reds Live and ORG? I would assume so at least.

Red Leader
04-12-2006, 05:59 PM
I like it, only one question. Where do we draw the line on what belongs where. For example when it comes to trades that involve both minor and majors do we still keep it and any corresponding info (on the minor leaguers involved) on Reds Live and ORG? I would assume so at least.

I'm not "THE BOSS", but I would imagine that any actual news of a trade made by the Reds would go into the ORG and Reds Live forums. If people want to post minor leaguers numbers (if minor league players are involved) in those threads, I don't see why they couldn't go into those threads, as they are a part of the trade that is being discussed on those forums. This new forum would be mostly for box scores, straight minor league player or team discussion, observations from fans of games they attended, prospect rankings, minor league player write ups, and that kind of stuff.

SirFelixCat
04-12-2006, 06:31 PM
I'm in favor of it.

Heath
04-12-2006, 06:36 PM
I'm in favor of it as well - I'd also like to recommend that we do a Minor League FAQ for the affiliates. I'd help (along with others I'm sure) to put together one for the Dragons, etc.

It's a great idea - and I'd help if needed.

KittyDuran
04-12-2006, 06:38 PM
I'm for it... :beerme: And maybe there can be a separate "Rant" forum as someone suggested...:confused:

VI_RedsFan
04-12-2006, 06:38 PM
Who are the 6 people who voted no?

KittyDuran
04-12-2006, 06:39 PM
I'm in favor of it as well - I'd also like to recommend that we do a Minor League FAQ for the affiliates. I'd help (along with others I'm sure) to put together one for the Dragons, etc.

It's a great idea - and I'd help if needed.Great idea! Plus we really need to update the main board's FAQ...

KronoRed
04-12-2006, 06:47 PM
Yea..and I'm interested in what the reasons are?

Reds Fanatic
04-12-2006, 07:13 PM
Sounds like a very good idea to me.

Chip R
04-12-2006, 07:27 PM

The Gang of 6, of course. They are always trying to get the better of the Gang of 10.

KronoRed
04-12-2006, 07:59 PM
Crush em.

RBA
04-12-2006, 09:46 PM
Good idea.

I would like to see an Ex-Reds tracking forum. :) and maybe a seperate one for Wily Mo Pena. ;)

remdog
04-12-2006, 10:07 PM

I voted no based upon my long-standing position that the board is already too fragmented. As RBA, tongue-in-cheek (I think ;) ) noted, why not have seperate areas for the game-thread, Ben Broussard thread, Vern Ruhle thread, Krivsky thread, etc.

If the headline is accurately written (which, admitedly isn't always the case), most everyone can read whatever interests them without seperate sections.

To me, marathon threads and threads that vear off course are more of a problem than needing seperate segments for different topics.

By Krono:Yea..and I'm interested in what the reasons are?

You asked. That's my reasoning. (shrug)

Rem

KittyDuran
04-12-2006, 10:17 PM
If the headline is accurately written (which, admitedly isn't always the case), most everyone can read whatever interests them without seperate sections. IMHO the reality of RedsZone is just the opposite - there are probably many a thread that I don't open because I can't judge the content by the title - and even worse still can't tell if I move the cursor over it...:p: And since I only get on various times during the day for a few minutes at a time I can't open every thread -this will only get worse with the season starting - so making different and distinct forums will help if the threads are of a general topic.

paintmered
04-12-2006, 10:36 PM
I don't really have an opinion on whether or not this is a good thing. If we do decide to go for this, I think that the forum should be for minor league specific stuff only. So if a trade discussion involves both major and minor leagues, it should belong in reds live and ORG.

That would make it the easiest for me to sort through the threads.

gonelong
04-12-2006, 10:46 PM
I am lazy and would rather not open another forum. No other reason than convienience.

GL

wolfboy
04-12-2006, 10:55 PM
I voted yes, but I worry about a lot of cross posting and clutter.

M2
04-12-2006, 11:03 PM
Seems like needless complication to me.

I love talking about minor league ball, but having to go that forum, plus the ORG, plus Reds Live? I don't see why people should have to go to a third place to find what's already well-covered in two spots.

Red Leader
04-12-2006, 11:20 PM

I love talking about minor league ball, but having to go that forum, plus the ORG, plus Reds Live? I don't see why people should have to go to a third place to find what's already well-covered in two spots.

I'm curious as to how people use this board. For me, as soon as I log in, I click "New Posts" at the top of the screen. This displays ALL posts in ORG, Reds Live, Fantasy, Non-Baseball, eh, ALL forums. Because I do this, most of the time, I don't realize what forum I'm posting a reply to. I've found that doing things this way allows me not to post too much on just ORG topics, or just Reds Live topics, and allows me to choose out of ALL threads that are started, which ones I choose to read and reply to. So having a seperate forum will have no bearing on me, those threads will just show up with all of the other threads I currently access when clicking on New Posts. Once I'm done reading and replying to a particular thread, I click on New Posts again, and the search starts over with new topics added, or replied to since I last searched. Do others use this option, or do you just refresh the screen from whatever forum you are in? If you don't use the New Posts option, why don't you? I'm not trying to call anyone out here, just curious as to what your particular method of accessing the board and the forums within the board are.

Caveat Emperor
04-12-2006, 11:20 PM

I concur -- it already seems to me like most of this Minor League stuff ends up on Live! anyway, so I really don't see a need to further break things down into more subgroups.

More forums, really, seems like they would just fragment discussion. The noise level on the board is good right now, IMO -- so I think things are fine the way they are.

Reds1
04-12-2006, 11:46 PM
I voted no based upon my long-standing position that the board is already too fragmented. As RBA, tongue-in-cheek (I think ;) ) noted, why not have seperate areas for the game-thread, Ben Broussard thread, Vern Ruhle thread, Krivsky thread, etc.

If the headline is accurately written (which, admitedly isn't always the case), most everyone can read whatever interests them without seperate sections.

To me, marathon threads and threads that vear off course are more of a problem than needing seperate segments for different topics.

Rem

I also voted no for many of the same reason. I already am not sure why we have a live and old board. I know why we do, but I never know where to go post stuff. It's not a bad idea, but I like reading that stuff and I already don't have much time and its just another place to have to go. Just my 2 cents. Eitherway not a big deal, but it was asked why!

TOBTTReds
04-12-2006, 11:51 PM

Rem

I'm with Rem. It's a good thought, but just too much hastle.

On that note, I'm about to post an article about Paul Janish.

Bill
04-13-2006, 12:11 AM
No, it would just be another seperate forum one would have to check to see if they are missing anything. The tribe forum I occassionally read has started a minor league forum and while there is activity there, there is a lot less discussion and news on prospects than there was. Readers don't always have time to check the ml forum but will look at interesting ml threads they see in the regular forum. I vote no.

Yachtzee
04-13-2006, 12:15 AM
No, it would just be another seperate forum one would have to check to see if they are missing anything. The tribe forum I occassionally read has started a minor league forum and while there is activity there, there is a lot less discussion and news on prospects than there was. Readers don't always have time to check the ml forum but will look at interesting ml threads they see in the regular forum. I vote no.

You've got a pretty good point there.

pedro
04-13-2006, 12:23 AM
I have to say that I'm not really that hip to the idea of a a separate minor league forum. It just leads to more questions such as do we have one under ORG and Reds Live or do we just have it under one or the other? I just think it's gets confusing under the current structure.

savafan
04-13-2006, 03:43 AM
IMHO the reality of RedsZone is just the opposite - there are probably many a thread that I don't open because I can't judge the content by the title - and even worse still can't tell if I move the cursor over it...:p: And since I only get on various times during the day for a few minutes at a time I can't open every thread -this will only get worse with the season starting - so making different and distinct forums will help if the threads are of a general topic.

Same here.

Redszone is the least fragmented message board that I frequent, and various different forums work well at all of the others. I like this idea.

TeamCasey
04-13-2006, 06:28 AM

I concur, but it wouldn't bother me much either way.

TeamCasey
04-13-2006, 06:31 AM
I'm curious as to how people use this board.

I don't read as much as I used to. Just busy. I go into each forum separately and browse the thread titles.

SandyD
04-13-2006, 08:07 AM
I'm not crazy about the idea either. Mostly for the confusion of where to place a thread. Ex: If a Reds minor leaguer pitches a no hitter ... minor league forum or Reds forum? Should be minor league forum I guess. But it's of general interest, too.

Not strong feelings either way.

REDREAD
04-13-2006, 08:25 AM
Yea..and I'm interested in what the reasons are?

I voted no because I don't want another forum to have to check. To me, this minor league board seems like a 2nd Reds Live board. I can see all the minor league news posted here.. why the need to segregate? In general, you can look at a thread title and see if it has minor league info in it or not (and read or skip it appropriately).

redsmetz
04-13-2006, 08:25 AM
I think it would be good although I hope it would be a forum that newbies such as me can take part in. It's a long road to that magical 200.

rdiersin
04-13-2006, 09:05 AM
I earlier said that I like the idea, and I just thought I might say a reason or two why I think RL has a good idea. One reason I think it might be a good idea is that I think it may generate really good discussion and analysis of prospects and minor league players. It seems like it might be easier to keep track of different prospects, and may eliminate double posting, as well as similar threads on Reds Live and ORG, like we have now. One thought is that we can do analysis on players from different systems, a sort of who could we trade for. I don't think this sort of thing would play well on the existing forums and would get lost in the shuffle, but with a minor league forum, this sort of thing may strive. These are just some of my thoughts. I understand those that feel otherwise, though.

Red Leader
04-13-2006, 09:09 AM
I earlier said that I like the idea, and I just thought I might say a reason or two why I think RL has a good idea. One reason I think it might be a good idea is that I think it may generate really good discussion and analysis of prospects and minor league players. It seems like it might be easier to keep track of different prospects, and may eliminate double posting, as well as similar threads on Reds Live and ORG, like we have now. One thought is that we can do analysis on players from different systems, a sort of who could we trade for. I don't think this sort of thing would play well on the existing forums and would get lost in the shuffle, but with a minor league forum, this sort of thing may strive. These are just some of my thoughts. I understand those that feel otherwise, though.

I agree. I think there are so many sub-categories that could fall under the Minor League Forum that it would enhance discussion over what it is today.

Box scores, individual player news, write-ups, and reports. Top 10 prospect lists, Top 50,100 prospect lists, September call ups, even the amateur draft thread and discussion could fall under this forum.

Chip R
04-13-2006, 09:19 AM
I think it will be OK. Like Sandy I was concerned about what would be considered info for that forum and info for the other ones but RL has plainly stated what info falls in that forum. And if it's posted on ORG or Reds Live, no big deal, the board won't explode.

top6
04-13-2006, 09:20 AM
I voted "no" because like others have said it seems like a needless complication. I've never had trouble with too many posts in a forum, and the topic of the major and minor leagues seem to overlap. Where would a thread like "Why is Tony Womack on this team when we have 23 Second Baseman and Chris Denorfia is Hitting .800 in AAA?" go? That thread would involve major and minor league topics.

On the other hand, I don't feel too strongly about it, and I'll try to read, post in, and support the new forum if it is created.

rdiersin
04-13-2006, 09:24 AM
I agree. I think there are so many sub-categories that could fall under the Minor League Forum that it would enhance discussion over what it is today.

Box scores, individual player news, write-ups, and reports. Top 10 prospect lists, Top 50,100 prospect lists, September call ups, even the amateur draft thread and discussion could fall under this forum.

Another example would be write ups about players from other teams. Yes, we have had good discussions about Reds prospects in Reds Live and ORG, but how often do we see discussions about players from other teams and keep track of them? I've only been here a year, so maybe it has been there in the past, I don't know. We have a lot of people from around the country. I am in South Bend, IN, and can't wait to see Justin Upton. But I don't know that I would feel comfortable posting a report from a game on Upton in Reds Live or ORG, but would certainly feel comfortable posting it in a minor league part. That's just an example, and maybe that's just me, I don't know, but I just thought that I should let that be known.

Maybe those of us that are in favor should try and give some examples of what we might like to post in this type of forum and where we could see it going, to help others understand the need or appeal of this forum. There are many respected people that don't seem to think this is a great use of the resources. If after we can show what it might be like and they still think its a bad idea, I think we all would understand.

Roy Tucker
04-13-2006, 09:30 AM
I voted yes, but then, I'm a maniac about a place for everything and everything in its place. I'd prefer a minor league forum, a game thread forum, etc etc. so I can have an idea what is going on in different areas of the Reds. A giant grab bag forum seems ... inefficient and disorganized (gad!!!horrors!!!)

My RZ style is to browse items of interest based on title and not try to keep up with everything. I have noticed that with the volume of posts on both boards, threads can disappear onto Page 2 within several hours and then, for me at least, they are gone forever. And days can go by without me visiting the board, so I never see them.

Which isn't a great tragedy and doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things. I enjoy this board no matter what so I'll go with the majority.

Red Leader
04-13-2006, 09:51 AM
Here is an example of something I would post in the minor league thread.

I went to the Dayton Dragon's game the other night when they played the Lansing Lugnuts (Blue Jays affiliate), and I found a couple of their players interesting. Here are some notes on those players.

OF Yuber Rodriguez is a centerfielder. He's listed at 6 foot, but he looks taller. He's all legs. Reminds me of Vlad Guerrero in body style where it seems like his waist is 3/4 of the way up his body and his legs are about 5' long. Looked very agile in the field and has good speed. He's 22.

2B Sean Shoffit throws right, hits left. Looks like a Adam Kennedy type player. Probably not going to be a superstar, but has real good hands at 2B and I could see him hitting for a high average as he goes up the system. Nice natural, smooth swing. He's 20.

1B Joey Metropoulos has a real nice swing for a big guy. Reminds me of a young Tony Clark, only not as tall at 6'1". Seems to be on the ball when hitting and makes hard, solid contact on the ball. He's 22.

LH SP Chi-Hung Cheng looked real good. He didn't have the strike out pitch that Travis Wood had with his changeup, but he was matching him inning for inning until he left a mistake up in the zone in the 5th to Eric Eyemann. He was consistantly throwing in the low 90's with his fastball, reaching 94-95 on some pitches, and had a real nice slider he threw with it which was hitting 83-84. He's 20 yrs old

Where would this thread fit in today? It's not really fit for ORG or Reds Live because it doesn't discuss either the Red's or any player associated with the Reds.

Heath
04-13-2006, 10:03 AM
This below views are of a personal opinion and may not be the views of redszone.com, its users, its lurkers, and its employees. This is just IMO.

I think that this board in an organized fragmented way can be the best board on the block - The below is just my idea of how we can use the board to the best of our ability.

ORG - The senior members general discussion

Reds Live - For the rest of the bunch, including the CURRENT DAY game thread

Game Threads - archived game threads for the purpose of banging our head against a wall or reliving a fantastic finish.

Fantasy Island - Status Quo

Minor Leagues - General discussion of all things Red Farm System. Rule One - If you start a thread - please indicate your first word (in CAPS) in the thread for what affiliate you are starting a discussion about. For instance if you want to discuss the April 12 Louisville/Syracuse game - the thread would read LOUISVILLE-4/12 vs. Syracuse Recap or if the DDN has a story on Paul Janish, you could say DAYTON-Janish story in the DDN. Also, if you had a story on the Reds BA Top 20 - you could use the words GENERAL FARM-Reds BA Top 20.

The Reds Way It Was - Take-off of Curt Gowdy's PBS show with Dick Enberg where classic or old-time games were discussed - this forum would look at a historical perspective of Reds or Baseball in general. We know woy's in and I'm in - but that's a dream part IMHO.

RZFAQ - Everything you needed to know about the Reds and were afraid to ask - Update the FAQ's that are already in archives and add them to this forum.

Misc.

Non-Baseball Chatter
Archives
Predictions
Link to off-site Peanut Gallery

All stays the same

Last but not Least -

Frank Pastore's House of Blues - Named after a highly touted, mediocre Reds' pitcher in the woebegone early 80's, this forum is where the troubles, tribulations, rants, and any other baseball "discussion" is held. This is where you can "share your sorrows". NOTE-redszone.com decorum is strictly enforced.

This might take some work from folks other than Boss, GIK, and the other mods. I nominate Krono :D He'll have to post less than the 35 times he already does. Seriously, I think if a few people were needed to step up to the plate I think it can be done.

Jpup
04-13-2006, 10:03 AM
it doesn't bother me either way, but I don't see the need for it.

rdiersin
04-13-2006, 10:14 AM
One thought I had was a sort of RZ pitching prospect tracker. Here are some of the ones I am following, and we could add more and update weekly.

Pitcher IP TBF H R ER HR SO BB HBP GO FO
Elizardo Ramirez 5.0 22 6 3 3 1 4 0 1 5 4
Josh Hall 5.0 19 3 1 1 1 2 2 0 9 3
Justin Germano 11.7 49 12 5 5 2 7 2 1 21 7
Richie Gardner 0.0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Ben Kozlowski 1.0 6 2 0 0 0 0 1 0 3 0
Phil Dumatrait 6.0 19 1 0 0 0 5 0 0 5 8
Travis Chick 8.7 38 9 5 5 1 6 3 0 11 9
Tyler Pelland 4.7 22 8 3 3 1 2 3 1 6 4
Calvin Medlock 3.7 19 4 2 2 0 2 5 0 6 3
Carlos Guevera 3.7 12 0 0 0 0 7 1 0 3 1
DJ Mattox 0.0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Abe Woody 2.3 14 3 3 3 0 1 3 1 3 3
Homer Bailey 10.3 45 12 8 5 1 10 0 1 9 9
James Avery 5.0 20 3 5 2 0 3 2 0 6 5
Philippe Valiquette 5.0 20 3 1 0 0 2 2 0 8 5
Travis Wood 8.7 39 10 3 3 0 15 2 1 4 7
Sam LeCure 11.0 40 6 3 3 0 15 2 0 6 11
Carlos Fischer 9.3 42 10 9 9 1 4 3 1 13 11
Jeff Stevens 2.0 9 3 1 1 0 3 1 0 1 2
Rafael Gonzalez 0.0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Pitcher ERA HR/H HR/9 K/9 BB/9 K/BB FIP BABIP K/TBF BB/BF GO/FO
Elizardo Ramirez 5.40 0.17 1.80 7.20 0.00 #DIV/0! 4.80 0.313 18.2 0.0 1.25
Josh Hall 1.80 0.33 1.80 3.60 3.60 1.00 6.20 0.143 10.5 10.5 3.00
Justin Germano 3.86 0.17 1.54 5.40 1.54 3.50 5.00 0.270 14.3 4.1 3.00
Richie Gardner #DIV/0! #DIV/0! #DIV/0! #DIV/0! #DIV/0! #DIV/0! #DIV/0! #DIV/0! #DIV/0! #DIV/0! #DIV/0!
Ben Kozlowski 0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00 9.00 0.00 6.20 0.400 0.0 16.7 #DIV/0!
Phil Dumatrait 0.00 0.00 0.00 7.50 0.00 #DIV/0! 1.53 0.071 26.3 0.0 0.63
Travis Chick 5.19 0.11 1.04 6.23 3.12 2.00 4.35 0.286 15.8 7.9 1.22
Tyler Pelland 5.79 0.13 1.93 3.86 5.79 0.67 7.70 0.467 9.1 13.6 1.50
Calvin Medlock 4.91 0.00 0.00 4.91 12.27 0.40 6.20 0.333 10.5 26.3 2.00
Carlos Guevera 0.00 #DIV/0! 0.00 17.18 2.45 7.00 0.20 0.000 58.3 8.3 3.00
DJ Mattox #DIV/0! #DIV/0! #DIV/0! #DIV/0! #DIV/0! #DIV/0! #DIV/0! #DIV/0! #DIV/0! #DIV/0! #DIV/0!
Abe Woody 11.57 0.00 0.00 3.86 11.57 0.33 7.49 0.333 7.1 21.4 1.00
Homer Bailey 4.35 0.08 0.87 8.71 0.00 #DIV/0! 2.81 0.333 22.2 0.0 1.00
James Avery 3.60 0.00 0.00 5.40 3.60 1.50 3.20 0.200 15.0 10.0 1.20
Philippe Valiquette 0.00 0.00 0.00 3.60 3.60 1.00 3.60 0.188 10.0 10.0 1.60
Travis Wood 3.12 0.00 0.00 15.58 2.08 7.50 0.78 0.476 38.5 5.1 0.57
Sam LeCure 2.45 0.00 0.00 12.27 1.64 7.50 1.02 0.261 37.5 5.0 0.55
Carlos Fischer 8.68 0.10 0.96 3.86 2.89 1.33 5.02 0.273 9.5 7.1 1.18
Jeff Stevens 4.50 0.00 0.00 13.50 4.50 3.00 1.70 0.600 33.3 11.1 0.50
Rafael Gonzalez #DIV/0! #DIV/0! #DIV/0! #DIV/0! #DIV/0! #DIV/0! #DIV/0! #DIV/0! #DIV/0! #DIV/0! #DIV/0!

Some of them obviously haven't pitched this year, and one is lost.

ochre
04-13-2006, 10:18 AM
hey. Do some divide by zero error checking there buddy!

rdiersin
04-13-2006, 10:25 AM
hey. Do some divide by zero error checking there buddy!

I said that some haven't played this year didn't I.;)

remdog
04-13-2006, 10:28 AM
Here is an example of something I would post in the minor league thread.

I went to the Dayton Dragon's game the other night when they played the Lansing Lugnuts (Blue Jays affiliate), and I found a couple of their players interesting. Here are some notes on those players.

OF Yuber Rodriguez is a centerfielder. He's listed at 6 foot, but he looks taller. He's all legs. Reminds me of Vlad Guerrero in body style where it seems like his waist is 3/4 of the way up his body and his legs are about 5' long. Looked very agile in the field and has good speed. He's 22.

2B Sean Shoffit throws right, hits left. Looks like a Adam Kennedy type player. Probably not going to be a superstar, but has real good hands at 2B and I could see him hitting for a high average as he goes up the system. Nice natural, smooth swing. He's 20.

1B Joey Metropoulos has a real nice swing for a big guy. Reminds me of a young Tony Clark, only not as tall at 6'1". Seems to be on the ball when hitting and makes hard, solid contact on the ball. He's 22.

LH SP Chi-Hung Cheng looked real good. He didn't have the strike out pitch that Travis Wood had with his changeup, but he was matching him inning for inning until he left a mistake up in the zone in the 5th to Eric Eyemann. He was consistantly throwing in the low 90's with his fastball, reaching 94-95 on some pitches, and had a real nice slider he threw with it which was hitting 83-84. He's 20 yrs old

Where would this thread fit in today? It's not really fit for ORG or Reds Live because it doesn't discuss either the Red's or any player associated with the Reds.

We've had those types of threads numerous times over the years and it's always been acceptable and received attention within the forum. Personally, I still don't see a need to create a seperate area for them. It's possible that they will get even less attention in a seperate area because readers may not want to go there speciffically to read about the minor leagues while they might open a thread because the title catches their interest while they are scrolling through the main board. In other words, minor league threads may get more looks on the main board because casual readers of the minor leagues will read them but it may be that only the 'hard-core' minor league followers will gravitate to a seperate section. :dunno:

Rem

pedro
04-13-2006, 11:14 AM
I think the Frank Pastor'es House of Blues idea is excellent.

smith288
04-13-2006, 12:15 PM
Anyone seen BuckeyePlanet.com? THey are loaded with different forums but from my point of view, its a great thing. Everything is broken down and there is always something new to read.

You dont have to do a load of searching to find something specific to that topic your interested in.

We are in a computer age and people are commenting on the "struggles" of clicking on different forums as it is? Dont you people remember your walks to school as a child uphill both ways in blizzard conditions??? Bunch a whimps all of ya's

M2
04-13-2006, 12:41 PM
We are in a computer age and people are commenting on the "struggles" of clicking on different forums as it is?

It's not a struggle. It's just something I probably won't do with any frequency.

Bill
04-13-2006, 01:04 PM
I've seen this idea in action. Only the hardcore prospect followers will bother to check it and discussion will actually go down. Meanwhile guys close tothe show will still be discussed as needed on the regular forum.

Speaking of minor league scores, I sent an email off to usatoday a few days ago asking where the boxscores are? They replied that they could not do it this year as major league baseball greatly increased the cost them providing htis service to an amount that made it impossible for usatoday to run the minor league scores. As usual, baseball is think counterproductively, keeping ml boxscores from the masses and potential fans whom might get hooked on them early.

KittyDuran
04-13-2006, 01:12 PM
I've seen this idea in action. Only the hardcore prospect followers will bother to check it and discussion will actually go down. Meanwhile guys close tothe show will still be discussed as needed on the regular forum.

Speaking of minor league scores, I sent an email off to usatoday a few days ago asking where the boxscores are? They replied that they could not do it this year as major league baseball greatly increased the cost them providing htis service to an amount that made it impossible for usatoday to run the minor league scores. As usual, baseball is think counterproductively, keeping ml boxscores from the masses and potential fans whom might get hooked on them early.

I wonder where the boxscores went... I go to minorleaguebaseball.com to get scores and updates...

Gallen5862
04-13-2006, 01:22 PM
I am posting this as an example of what could be included in a new minor league forum. What does everyone think?
http://www.starnewsonline.com/apps/p...46/1005/sports
Article published Apr 13, 2006
Holding out for big bonus is a minor leaguer's best defense

The next time an amateur draft selection holds out for sizable signing bonuses, don’t get upset by the money he receives.
Bonanza signing bonuses aren’t solely about greed, even though it is troublesome for fans when 18-year-old Justin Upton, the overall top pick last June, elected a lengthy holdout before signing for a record $6.1 million spread over five years. Another first-round selection last season, Cameron Maybin, didn’t reached an agreement until Sept. 22 for $2.65 million.
Large signing bonuses are about ensuring rapid advancement through the minor leagues. Clubs want a return on their investment and are less likely to part soon with players they’ve given large sums of money.
Low bonus signees, such as former UNC-Wilmington standout Brian Whitaker, a 25th round pick in 2002, don’t get as fair a shake.
San Diego waived him last Monday, despite a career 3.25 ERA over five seasons.
Darryl Lawhorn, an ex-New Hanover High School and East Carolina star, is in a similar, yet nowhere near as drastic situation.
Cincinnati signed him as a free agent in the winter, but left him behind in extended spring training.
Had he been an early selection, he undoubtedly would be on a club, not working out at numerous positions in Sarasota, Fla., with other minor-league holdovers.
He says he’s more at ease at third, which the Reds have told him is an area of need. Although last among farm systems in Baseball America rankings, Cincinnati signed Lawhorn as a middle infielder – the most bountiful position in the Reds system.
They have tried Lawhorn at corner infield spots, second base and right field. If he had his way, the hot corner is where he’d play.
“I have less time to think about stuff, you just kind of react to it,’’ he said.
In case anybody wondered, his twice surgically repaired foot is fine and he’s swung the bat well thus far.
While Lawhorn is in limbo, Josh Bonifay, a six-year minor league free agent, opted for a change of scenery.
After averaging 20 home runs and 78 runs batted in the last four seasons with the Pittsburgh Pirates, he decided he needed a fresh start. So the former UNCW standout left the organization, where his father, Cam, once was general manager.
Although he played five spring training games with the parent Pirates, going 2 for 5, the organization didn’t seem to value his versatility and numbers.
Teams view 24th round picks like Bonifay as fillers, meaning a marginal prospect to round out a roster with future big leaguers. So in the off-season, his agent spoke with the Rangers, Cardinals, Cubs and Astros.
Bonifay knew Astros’ minor league field coordinator Tom Wiedenbauer through ex-teammate and close friend, J.R. House, now a catcher with Corpus Christi, the Double A team Bonifay was assigned.
On top of that, Corpus Christi field manager Dave Clark played in the Pirates’ system under Cam’s watch.
“I felt really comfortable with the Astros and thought it was a good opportunity with first baseman Jeff Bagwell down with an injury and it looks like he’s going to retire,’’ Bonifay said.
Lance Berkman is the Astros’ first baseman and Bonifay hopes he can work his way into Houston’s plans in case they need a big league backup.
“The Astros gave me the best opportunity, plus they were fair with me,’’ Bonifay said. “I like their front office people. Ricky Bennett, the farm director and assistant GM, was nice to talk to. He didn’t make any promises. They like people who do their jobs the right way, work hard and don’t cause problems.’’
He signed as a utility player. He expects to play first base, outfield and DH.
“I’ve battled my whole life with the Pirates, not being able to get a chance after putting up numbers I thought were good enough to get promoted to Triple A,’’ he said.
“I’m not worried about the front office anymore or moves. I’m focused on taking care of myself, doing the right things and making sure I’m having fun playing baseball.’’

Staff writer Chuck Carree can be reached at 343-2262 or chuck.carree@starnews
online.com.

smith288
04-13-2006, 01:32 PM

I aggree only to a point. Conversation may go down but the quality may be better. Less fluff and more meat in the discussions. Thats really the point, good discussion, not more eyeballs to see it.

If people who dont care about Minor leagues wont visit, who cares?

Red Leader
04-13-2006, 01:40 PM
I aggree only to a point. Conversation may go down but the quality may be better. Less fluff and more meat in the discussions. Thats really the point, good discussion, not more eyeballs to see it.

That was basically what I was hoping when I thought of the idea. I was hoping that those topics would be discussed with more quality by those that have a passion for the minor leagues (it's all about passion ;) ). However, it still could go either way for me. When I hear people like M2 (whose posts I value a lot) say that they wouldn't go to that forum, that means a lot to me because we need posters like him posting information they know to make this seperate forum successful. If that forum isn't visited by those kinds of posters, it makes it kind of pointless.

I still would like to hear from those that are complaining about having to visit a seperate forum, why they don't use the New Posts option at the top to see all new posts in all forums, and what method of searching Redszone they do use.

M2
04-13-2006, 02:07 PM

My concern is that people who do won't. For instance, I do care about the minors, but I probably won't bother to click over that often, instead posting all the same stuff I'd normally post on the subject on the regular forums. I'm not looking for more pages to view and there's already a place to discuss all things Reds and baseball related called Redszone.

IMO, the best vehicle we've ever had for minor league discussions is the daily recap of how the Reds' system fared. I just don't see why a separate forum is needed for that.

RL, I don't use New Posts because I don't. I can already see what's at the top of a given forum highlighted from the last time I visited. It's a system that works for me.

BTW, I'm not saying don't create a minor league forum. It certainly sounds like some folks are interested. I say that if you've got a core group of folks who are gung ho on the idea and you're convinced that they'll be making regular posts of high-quality stuff we don't already get, then go for it. This is just my two cents that I think we already accommodate that quite well on the main forums.

Gallen5862
04-13-2006, 02:24 PM
Dunn HR.
sorry wrong thread lol.

Red Leader
04-13-2006, 02:27 PM
Dunn HR.

Thanks. :laugh:

ochre
04-13-2006, 02:35 PM
So, you're saying we need a forum for Dunn HRs too?

Cool.

Red Leader
04-13-2006, 03:06 PM
So, you're saying we need a forum for Dunn HRs too?

Cool.

haha.

Seriously, I appreciate everyone's responses to this poll. I thought we'd get maybe 40-50 responses in the 2 days I set it up to run.

KronoRed
04-13-2006, 03:18 PM
Do the Aye's have it?

Bill
04-14-2006, 01:26 AM
I should ammend my post to say that only hardcore posters look at the minor league forum, but not all of them, or at least not as frequently as when it was one forum. I have not been around as much lately (though i still check it daily) to notice a dropoff in prospect discussion, but in the past, there has always been quality discussion on prospects. I don't think it was difficult to find amongst the other threads.

The other aspect to consider is that there is just less info on these players and inherently discussion and threads are going to be less. You put up a forum for just minor league guys and it will look dead and a slow forum just does not attract ritual checking but rather occasional as that will suffice.

savafan
04-14-2006, 02:02 AM
Examples of other boards.

http://www.marlinbaseball.com/forums/index.php?act=idx

Forum
Florida Marlins
Sub Forums
Game Threads
New Stadiums

Forum
Major League Baseball-all non-Marlins baseball threads

Forum
Minor League Baseball

Forum
Other Sports-Chat about the NBA, NHL, NFL, NCAA, NASCAR, etc. here

Forum
Bullpen-Keep up on all the latest in news, politics, and interesting bits from around the world.

Forum
Fantasy Sports

Forum
Locker Room-Have a funny story or a joke, share it here.

Forum
Media Guide-The place to discuss Games, TV, Music, Movies.
Sub Forums
TV Shows
Wrestling Discussion

Forum
Outfield-Anything not covered in another forum should go here.
Sub Forums
Best. Movies. Ever.
Babes

Forum
Press Box-Annoucements, Submission Threads, Error Reporting, and Suggestions for the site and forums should go here.
Sub Forum
Hall of Fame-Archives

http://www.nyyfans.com/forums/

Forum
Introductions

Forum
Yankees: Inside The Lines-Discuss player performance, trades, injuries, and all other Yankees related on-field topics.

Forum
Yankees: Out of Play-If it's not about what happens on the field, discuss it in here. TV & Radio Coverage, Ticket & Schedule Info, general fan banter, etc.

Forum
Game Thread Forum

Forum
Around The Majors-Post anything related to baseball. If it doesn't fit in the Yankees Discussion forum, it fits here.

Forum
Sabermetrics & Stats Symposium-Discuss and analyze Sabermetrics, Stats, etc.

Forum
History, Trivia & Memorabilia-Discuss the rich history of baseball in here.

Forum
Around The Minors-Who's coming up? Who's going down? What's happening with the Yankees Minor League clubs?

Forums
NYYFans.com Fantasy Baseball League

Forums
Other Sports
Sub Forum
The NFL

Forum
The Sports Bar-This forum is not actively moderated, but posts CAN and WILL be moderated if needed.

Forum
Just Conversation-Shoot the breeze in here with your fellow fans.

Forum
The Suggestion Box - Forum Help-Comment? Suggestion? Problem? Question? Ask here, and ye shall receive...

KronoRed
04-14-2006, 02:40 AM
So we're doing well comparatively? :D

SandyD
04-14-2006, 10:24 AM
That's waaaayyyy too many forums.

Kind of like the idea of a game thread subforum. Sticky the thread until after the game, and move it to the subforum after they are unstickied. And a rant type forum or subforum could actually be a lot of fun.

As for the minor league forum: If one is created, keep the guidelines a little loose. If someone posts a minor league thread on RL, allow some time before it is moved to the minor league forum.

Red Leader
04-14-2006, 05:36 PM
This poll should now be closed.

Boss, GIK, please review all posts and make whichever decision you'd like.

Thanks for all of your input, everyone.

Boss-Hog
04-14-2006, 05:41 PM
This poll should now be closed.

Boss, GIK, please review all posts and make whichever decision you'd like.

Thanks for all of your input, everyone.
I have created a new forum based on the results of this poll. If you have suggestions for a better name, shoot.

savafan
04-14-2006, 06:42 PM
I have created a new forum based on the results of this poll. If you have suggestions for a better name, shoot.

Motorboat Jones' Locker

Shootin' the Bull Durham

Little Red Corvettes

ochre
04-14-2006, 07:17 PM
Six Degrees of Terry Lee.

savafan
04-14-2006, 07:23 PM
The Idiotmobile ;)