04-14-2006, 11:29 PM
Harang 2-1
Arroyo 2-0
Mitlon 2-0

6-1
:beerme:

edabbs44
04-14-2006, 11:30 PM
Could you imagine saying this back in September? Referencing Milton of course.

kaldaniels
04-14-2006, 11:39 PM
Harang 2-1
Arroyo 2-0
Mitlon 2-0

6-1
:beerme:

Even better...
Harang 1 RBI
Milton 3B
Arroyo 2 HR :D

guttle11
04-14-2006, 11:49 PM
Even better...
Harang 1 RBI
Milton 3B
Arroyo 2 HR :D

The Reds pitchers hit better than both the Major League teams in the state of Florida.

tripleaaaron
04-15-2006, 12:56 AM
Even better, we recorded a shut-out, and better yet against the cards, and even better yet, out bullpen helped out

reds44
04-15-2006, 01:00 AM
Even better, we recorded a shut-out, and better yet against the cards, and even better yet, out bullpen helped out
Bullpen has benn pitching pretty decent since we hit the road.

I still think Shack and his 0.00 ERA in AAA needs to be up here.

Phhhl
04-15-2006, 01:15 AM
Tonight's win was exactly what you wanted to see as a Reds fan. Great starting pitching, clutch relief and reasonably good defense. I remember when we beat Randy Johnson 1-0 in '99. Carpenter isn't half as good as Johnson, but you need these kinds of wins against good pitchers and good teams to have hope. Hope is running high at the moment.

jhiller21
04-15-2006, 01:23 AM
It's early, but it's beginning to look like we have an above-average starting staff. This offense will score a ton of runs, so it's assumed that a staff full of #3's could win the wild card.

The first thing we need to do is DFA Hammond and White, we have better options in the minors, and giving these guys time to become what they'll never be again (and/or weren't ever) could prove to be costly.

Bring up Shack and Wagner, maybe trade Larue and a 2b for two decent relievers, and we have a team folks. While we still lack a closer, I say ease Coffey into the role, and let him know that the occasional 96 mph fastball is exactly what we need, consistently.

BEETTLEBUG
04-15-2006, 02:20 AM
It's early, but it's beginning to look like we have an above-average starting staff. This offense will score a ton of runs, so it's assumed that a staff full of #3's could win the wild card.

The first thing we need to do is DFA Hammond and White, we have better options in the minors, and giving these guys time to become what they'll never be again (and/or weren't ever) could prove to be costly.

Bring up Shack and Wagner, maybe trade Larue and a 2b for two decent relievers, and we have a team folks. While we still lack a closer, I say ease Coffey into the role, and let him know that the occasional 96 mph fastball is exactly what we need, consistently.

I agree with your thoughts DFA those two old guys and bring up Shack and Wags

cincyinco
04-15-2006, 02:40 AM
I hate to be a negative nitty guys.. but its only 10 games. We have a LONG way to go... Lets see how this staff holds up over the course of even half a year before proclaiming that this team can contend.

Krivs has got us closer, I agree... But how much closer is a question you all should ask yourselves.

KronoRed
04-15-2006, 03:01 AM
If the world ended now, we win the central ;)

jhiller21
04-15-2006, 03:35 AM

If Krivsky can bring on 2 more talented relievers in a trade, or even one more decent starter, this team is headed for wild card contention.

The offense will take care of itself, as will the young defense. Give it time, we definately have some pretty good building blocks on our hands.

Caveat Emperor
04-15-2006, 10:58 AM

And here I thought that was a chicken and egg problem...

M2
04-15-2006, 11:10 AM
I hate to be a negative nitty guys.. but its only 10 games. We have a LONG way to go... Lets see how this staff holds up over the course of even half a year before proclaiming that this team can contend.

Exactly. Hot starts are fun, but people should remember that the 2001, 2002, 2003 and 2004 Reds all spent time in first place early in the season.

Right now the Reds strike me as the guys sprinting the first mile or two of the marathon.

paulrichjr
04-15-2006, 11:24 AM
Exactly. Hot starts are fun, but people should remember that the 2001, 2002, 2003 and 2004 Reds all spent time in first place early in the season.

Right now the Reds strike me as the guys sprinting the first mile or two of the marathon.

This team is better than all of those teams. Not saying we will be in first but everyone kind of knew that those teams were playing with smoke and mirrors. This team has starting pitching and hitting. Now if we just had some defense...

westofyou
04-15-2006, 11:33 AM
Not saying we will be in first but everyone kind of knew that those teams were playing with smoke and mirrors. I beg to differ, in 2003 M2 and I took more crap than any other year when we pointed out the mirage, I'm still reeling from the onslaught.

Hoosier Red
04-15-2006, 11:35 AM
Tonight's win was exactly what you wanted to see as a Reds fan. Great starting pitching, clutch relief and reasonably good defense. I remember when we beat Randy Johnson 1-0 in '99. Carpenter isn't half as good as Johnson, but you need these kinds of wins against good pitchers and good teams to have hope. Hope is running high at the moment.

I remember that game, Dmitri Young yanked a fastball out in the first or second inning and nothing but zeroes for the rest of the game.

Villone pitched the CG shutout if I recall.

The next night they scored 3 runs in the 9th, after battling back to 3-2, and having Danny Graves(BOO) give up a run in the top half.
Edit: Actually the score when we beat Johnson was 2-0, The Reds got an insurance run in the eighth. THanks Retrosheet.

Caveat Emperor
04-15-2006, 11:39 AM
I beg to differ, in 2003 M2 and I took more crap than any other year when we pointed out the mirage, I'm still reeling from the onslaught.

Yeah...but in fairness to everyone else, who could possibly imagine that a rotation fronted by Jimmy Haynes, Danny Graves and Paul Wilson would ever just up and explode like that?

M2
04-15-2006, 11:57 AM
This team is better than all of those teams. Not saying we will be in first but everyone kind of knew that those teams were playing with smoke and mirrors. This team has starting pitching and hitting. Now if we just had some defense...

That gets said everytime the team gets off to a hot start. This year is different.

Most folks thought those other teams were pretty nifty and I remember people in all four of those seasons insisting that we were seeing proof that the pitching was just fine on those teams. I can tell you right now the Reds aren't going to finish #5 in starting pitchers ERA. That's going to take a drop, most likely a precipitous one.

M2
04-15-2006, 12:02 PM
FWIW, the baseball execs Jason Stark speaks with don't think the Reds are built to last either.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&id=2407713

westofyou
04-15-2006, 12:15 PM
FWIW, the baseball execs Jason Stark speaks with don't think the Reds are built to last either.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&id=2407713
"You've got to like their offense," said one NL executive. "You can't like their pitching staff.

But they're no fun to play. You've gotta outscore them."

That is so money...

cincyinco
04-15-2006, 01:53 PM

Thank you. I love that we're winning as much as anyone else here, but I'm just trying to temper the enthusiasm a little bit.

The Reds of recent years always seem to get off to hot starts, even leading the division at times.. and then when June/July comes.. they fade into oblivion...

The pitching is improved IMHO, but I'm still not sure its enough..