PDA

View Full Version : 1-0 victory shows promise

BoCcc2832
04-14-2006, 11:51 PM
Despite the low run scoring performance today by our Redlegs, the victory over the Cardinals shows promise and hope for the 2006 season. The defense was on top of their game (unlike their previous games) with Womack saving a run in the eighth, getting the scoop and toss in the 4th inning, and Encarnacion getting the laser throw to Hatteberg after having to run in twenty feet to field the ball. Aaron Harang pitched one of his best performances of his career and was illuminated by bettering the performance of Chris Carpenter, who went 8 innings and only gave up the one run that Harang pooched into center field. He handled Albert Pujols (1-4) so well, as well as Jim Edmonds (0-4), David Eckstein (0-3), and Scott Rolen (0-4). Todd Coffey, for all realism, pitched well and showed that he has promise to be the closer of the future as he kept Pujols in the infield (thanks mostly to Womack) and completely fooled Edmonds on a 3-2 pitch that was down in the dirt.
Before the season, if you would have told me that we would go 7-3 to start the young season? I would have definitely thought you were high. But the fact stands. The Reds stand promising so far and I'm excited to see how far our "terrible" pitching staff takes us. Go Reds 2006!

GridironGrace
04-14-2006, 11:51 PM
BEST WIN YET THIS SEASON!!

DID SOOOOOOOOOOOO much for our confidence i think..

indyred
04-15-2006, 12:32 AM
Great win........I bet tomorrow the score will be 12-8 or something like that......

KronoRed
04-15-2006, 03:03 AM
14-10, with a goal line stand.

Larry Schuler
04-15-2006, 05:05 AM
It's a good thing to pick up a win on the same day that your starting 8 fail to drive in any runs.

GAC
04-15-2006, 06:01 AM
Last nights game was exciting to watch....Great pitching duel, some tense moments, some defensive gems (Juan E's diving catch in RF was the best though), and the game won on a bloop single by the pitcher.

Oh yeah.... and Edmonds looked terrible. Both in CF and at the plate. ;)

DropDocK
04-15-2006, 09:22 AM
Nice win, a good ole' good one. I'll admit I was waiting for the defense to slip up. Not a lot of fly balls hit by the Cards so that saved me from gimacing on anything hit to left. I was looking ahead to sundays match-up, Arroyo vs. Mulder, more so than last nights, but that was a dandy!

Jr's Boy
04-15-2006, 12:26 PM
Did George Grande make any excuses for Edmonds poor performance?

TeamBoone
04-15-2006, 12:36 PM
No, he didn't.

flyer85
04-15-2006, 12:38 PM
Did George Grande make any excuses for Edmonds poor performance?it's the new ballpark

flyer85
04-15-2006, 12:38 PM
a nice win and a fun game to watch. However, the glaring deficiencies are still there. The 2004 team was in first as late as the middle of June and we know how that ended.

Early in the year and only an extreme amount of luck(which is possible though not probable) can keep this team in first with it's current composition.

M2
04-15-2006, 12:50 PM
IMO, last night's win was encouraging for Aaron Harang, Todd Coffey and David Weathers.

It was good to see Harang back on the horse. It's really good to see Coffey's stuff take a leap forward (or backward to what made him an appealing prospect in the first place) and the better Weathers does, the more you can get for him this summer.

flyer85
04-15-2006, 12:56 PM
IMO, last night's win was encouraging for Aaron Harang, Todd Coffey and David Weathers.
especially Coffey. He showed the kind of stuff and command to be a closer in the future.

OUReds
04-15-2006, 12:58 PM
Did George Grande make any excuses for Edmonds poor performance?

Amazingly enough, the TV team actually took Edmonds to task a little bit. They said that Edmonds himself, and not the new ballpark, is responsible for his recent batch of errors. I nearly fell out of my chair.

Of course they also said that any statues built of him should feature a 20 foot golden glove, so take it with a grain of salt.

KronoRed
04-15-2006, 01:27 PM
it's the new ballpark
The wind..the grass..the moon.

vaticanplum
04-15-2006, 01:46 PM
Last night I caught a glimpse of the score while the game was in the seventh. 1-0. I thought oh great!, and then I thought, oh, Reds bullpen. I could not believe it when I found out this morning that they had won. The Reds winning 1-0 to me is bizarrely almost more encouraging than a blowout, because it means they actually did play a good game instead of just blowing the opposite team out of the water with runs (not that that's a bad thing). But still...Carpenter. The cardinals. Harang to date this season. I am truly beside myself. I...I...shouldn't get too optimistic, should I?