PDA

View Full Version : Disabled List Question - Bergolla and Olmedo

KySteveH
04-15-2006, 06:34 PM
I noticed that William Bergolla and Ray Olmedo are coming off the Bats DL today. Just wondering, how were they both sent down to AAA while injured? I thought you couldn't do that. Not that a 10 days salary is a whole lot, but they would have made their major league salaries, rather than their minor league salaries during that time, if they were on the 15-day DL.

Grant Balfour, OTOH, is on the major league DL while recovering. I wonder why the difference?

GOREDSGO32
04-15-2006, 06:50 PM
They were already in Triple A I believe, and they are on the 40 man roster, not the 25 man roster though I think. No difference in pay.

KySteveH
04-15-2006, 07:19 PM
Hmmm...I was thinking they would be on split contracts, making 50K for their AAA time, and about 350K for their Major league time. Could be wrong, though.

Nugget
04-16-2006, 02:45 AM
It has to do with the fact that were placed on the DL when in AAA. You will remember that both Olmedo and Bergolla made an appearance for the REDS in the major league portion of ST before being reassigned to major league camp. Supposedly a requirement that if you are on the 40 man you must make an appearance before being sent down. Once they were sent down you can then be placed on the minor league DL.

Marc mentioned the situation in relation to Bergolla in his blog during ST.