PDA

View Full Version : It Has To Happen Soon!

roby
04-15-2006, 07:05 PM
I am so tired of hearing George Grande swoon over the Cardinals. As everyone knows, Mr. Nice Guy never says anything bad about anybody...except the Reds. He was almost totally silent in friday night's game when Chris Welsh would say something negative about Jim edmonds. I can't think that Castelini will put up with much more of this. George is becoming the anti-homer! :bang:

indyred
04-15-2006, 07:15 PM
I'm sure he will last the season. Next year I bet you see Castelini and son make the changes that they want..........

TeamBoone
04-15-2006, 07:56 PM
So many of you harp on this, and I don't see it!

He says good things about every team and every player, including the Reds. And when he does choose to say something less than nice about a player, he chooses his words carefully rather than out and out bashing him.

I'm usually one of the first to complain if I think the Reds are being unfairly dissed, but honestly, I just don't see it.

penantboundreds
04-15-2006, 07:59 PM
i cant stand listening to him because he doesnt have anything to say, thats why he harps on pujols and stuff that is well documented...he knows nothing else (hence why he cant say nething bad) except on the reds

Reds1
04-15-2006, 08:00 PM
I'm with TB. I think he calls a great game. I can't stand the guys who love their team. I like him.

2001MUgrad
04-15-2006, 08:23 PM
George isn't anti-reds. He is just pro-Cardinals. I haven't listened to him much this year honestly, but in years past during every Reds game he finds a way to talk for 5 mins. about the Cards 1 way or another. It used to be about Edmonds only, but its starting being about Pujols anymore. I know he did Cards games years ago, so I guess its still in his blood some.

pedro
04-15-2006, 08:36 PM
I honestly can't remember George saying anything bad about the Reds or anyone else.

He just talks about the cardinals a little too much for my taste.

flyer85
04-15-2006, 08:44 PM
I hope he takes Marty with him

George Foster
04-15-2006, 10:32 PM
George is one of the most well respected TV guys in all of baseball. He is the MC of the Hall of Fame induction ceremony.

flyer85
04-15-2006, 11:20 PM
George is one of the most well respected TV guys in all of baseball. He is the MC of the Hall of Fame induction ceremony.I guess that's why ESPN canned him ages ago. He was the original ESPN Sportscenter anchor.

TeamBoone
04-15-2006, 11:29 PM
I guess that's why ESPN canned him ages ago. He was the original ESPN Sportscenter anchor.

And what they have now is just great.

I don't think he was canned; I believe he left for a different job.

KronoRed
04-15-2006, 11:36 PM
I hope he takes Marty with him
Clean house.

Newman4
04-16-2006, 08:19 AM
So many of you harp on this, and I don't see it!

He says good things about every team and every player, including the Reds. And when he does choose to say something less than nice about a player, he chooses his words carefully rather than out and out bashing him.

I'm usually one of the first to complain if I think the Reds are being unfairly dissed, but honestly, I just don't see it.

The only reason you didn't see it in the game Friday night is because Edmonds was busy kicking the ball into right field, falling on his ass trying to over dramaticize a fly ball against the wall and whiffing on Coffee's nasty splitter with the bases loaded. If does anything at all worth mentioning GG would be all over it.

Highlifeman21
04-16-2006, 10:37 AM
The only reason you didn't see it in the game Friday night is because Edmonds was busy kicking the ball into right field, falling on his ass trying to over dramaticize a fly ball against the wall and whiffing on Coffee's nasty splitter with the bases loaded. If does anything at all worth mentioning GG would be all over it.

Chris Welsh was the one that had to do the talking during Edmonds struggles friday night. GG was thankfully dead silent. So to that point, we need to have Jim Edmonds struggle more to hear less of GG. Not that I want to hear more of Chris Welsh, since he was trying to sing Dave Williams praise yesterday as he was pitching his way to an early exit, but less GG is more to me. I almost felt bad for GG as Edmonds struggled, b/c there was a short silence as Edmonds shin kicked the liner into RF, and then Chris Welsh had to come to the rescue as GG was literally left speechless, watching his manlove idol show how blatantly overrated he is in CF. And you said it best Newman4, Edmonds did end up on his can on that ball to the wall where he visibly slowed up to make some webgem wannabe play only to have it end up with our guy on 2B. If he continues going back on that ball without slowing up, he easily catches it in time to avoid the wall. I think Edmonds should give back some of those Gold Gloves.

But in all seriousness, we could easily take 2 new college grads out of a Newhouse or Mizzou's communication school and they'd be instant upgrades over Welsh and Grande.

cincrazy
04-16-2006, 11:31 AM
George Grande is fine. What else do you expect the man to talk about when the team has been as bad as it has been the last five years? And if he has been critical of the Reds, which I don't think he has been, then it's well deserved.

Chip R
04-16-2006, 11:43 AM
I do not mind when the home team announcer is complimentary towards the visitors, unlike the Cubs announcers. But I think George goes too far in his love for all things St Louis. I agree he does not say anything bad about anyone but if he could just tone down the Cardinals love, I would be OK with him. Even after Edmonds had those misplays George and Chris felt the need to defend him and tell us about all the Gold Gloves he has won and what a fine player he was. If George spent as much time talking about how good some of the Reds players were as he does the Cards, he might be a decent announcer. If I were Bob, I would tell him if he likes St. Louis so much, he should work for them.

indyred
04-16-2006, 11:48 AM
What about Steve Stewart............anybody like him..........

indyred
04-16-2006, 11:49 AM
I guess I don't mind GG.........Has Dibble done any radio/tv work for the Reds before........

redsfan30
04-16-2006, 11:51 AM
Not that I want to hear more of Chris Welsh, since he was trying to sing Dave Williams praise yesterday as he was pitching his way to an early exit
Unless I was listening to a different Reds game, Welsh was doing nothing of the sort. I thought Welsh was very unimpressed with Williams.

roby
04-16-2006, 12:42 PM
If george says "Pull-Holtz one more time I'm gonna barf!

TeamBoone
04-16-2006, 12:50 PM

My comment didn't apply to just Friday night. I was speaking about him in general.

TeamBoone
04-16-2006, 12:52 PM
Chris Welsh was the one that had to do the talking during Edmonds struggles friday night. GG was thankfully dead silent.

This is untrue as GG was NOT silent!

And why is it wrong to mention his gold gloves (what is it? eight?), as they're an accomplishment. Just as Chris Carpenter's Cy Young is an accomplishment (and yes, that was talked about as well, as it should be).

TeamBoone
04-16-2006, 12:55 PM

Yes, I do. Very much.

indyred
04-16-2006, 01:03 PM
I'd like to see Marty and Dibble on radio and Stewart and GG on Fox......

Highlifeman21
04-16-2006, 01:19 PM
This is untrue as GG was NOT silent!

And why is it wrong to mention his gold gloves (what is it? eight?), as they're an accomplishment. Just as Chris Carpenter's Cy Young is an accomplishment (and yes, that was talked about as well, as it should be).

Come on, just admit that Edmonds should give back some of his Gold Gloves, and Clemens should give back some of his Cy Youngs, and we'll move on. Ironically, Clemens should have won the Cy last year over Carpenter! I guess the voters know that Roger has at least 3 more than he should have.

GG was definitely mostly silent for each of the 3 Edmonds struggles (2 defensive plays, and swinging at garbage from Coffey), Welsh did most of the talking during each of those 3 plays! I'm not saying GG was 100% silent, but he was too busy trying to comprehend what his manlove idol was doing in the field, aside from auditioning for maybe DC United, or the Columbus Crew for the MLS.

TeamBoone
04-16-2006, 01:27 PM
Regardless of who you feel should have won those awards, Edmonds and Carpenter did. Almost every year there's disagreement, but it doesn't change the fact.

Personally, I agree with you that Edmonds is a hot dog, but I kind of like him anyway.

That said, he did win the award and I don't find it wrong for a commentator to talk about it during the broadcast... that goes for any team, not just the Cards, and both Chris and George spread it around depending on who the Reds are playing against.

James B.
04-16-2006, 01:31 PM
As bad as I hate to say it the Cardinals have been one of the best teems in baseball over the last few years and Enmonds and Pujols are two of the best players in baseball. The reds announcers are not the only ones singing their praises. I don't like Jim Edmonds either but just because he had a bad week is not reason to give back his gold gloves. All players go through times where they play bad but I am sure that he will rebound and have a good season if healthy.

2001MUgrad
04-16-2006, 01:36 PM
I'd like to see Marty and Dibble on radio and Stewart and GG on Fox......

I love Marty.. and Dibbs was great on the Dan Patrick show, but could a baseball broadcast both be big enough to handle those 2 egos?

KronoRed
04-16-2006, 04:00 PM
Best guy in the radio booth.

roby
04-16-2006, 05:45 PM
Just because something is true...like Edmonds gold gloves...doesn't mean that it has to be dinged on forever without end! George Grande, whether some of you admit it or not, is ridiculous in his glowing gaiety for the St. Louis Cards. In the game the other day, Harang struck out Edmonds with some really excellent pitches. Rather than give Harang any credit, George said, "Well he won this one, but we'll see what happens next time." That is not announcing the game. It sounds more like a little leaguer who is a sore loser. You certanily couldn't miss George's extreme excitement today when PULL HOLTZ hit his walk-off homerun. George was plain giddy. He showed little to no emotion when Dunn, Kearns, McCracken homered. These were all pretty crucial homeruns at the time that they happened. If George loves his Redbirds so much, that's fine. He has a right. But how about leaving him in St. Louis when the Reds depart. They probably won't let him announce games... but maybe he can sell some concessions. I for one am a little weary with the loser mentality that George exhibits. The Reds are gonna be perennial winners...so let's surround them with winners in the announcer's booth as well.