PDA

View Full Version : No timetable for Griffey's return

savafan
04-17-2006, 01:18 AM
I have to believe this is worse than the Reds are letting on.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060416&content_id=1403317&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

By Nate Latsch / Special to MLB.com

ST. LOUIS -- The Cincinnati Reds didn't appear to miss Ken Griffey Jr. much when the center fielder was out of the lineup on Thursday at Chicago, an 8-3 Reds victory.

But the offense generated just four runs in the first two games in St. Louis. Aaron Harang's strong pitching performance led to a 1-0 win on Friday night, but the lineup couldn't overcome Dave Williams' struggles in Saturday's 9-3 loss.

"It would be nice to have Griff back in the lineup," Reds manager Jerry Narron said after Saturday's loss. "We'll see where that is day-to-day. I don't know if he'll be out there [Sunday] or not, but we definitely miss him."

Griffey was not in the lineup for Sunday afternoon's series finale, as he was still experiencing the stiffness behind his right knee that caused him to come out of Wednesday's game at Chicago.

"Some people think it's worse than we're letting on, and if it was worse than we're letting on, he wouldn't be here," Narron said on Sunday. "Seriously, it's day-to-day with him and we'll see what Dr. [Timothy] Kremchek says tomorrow when he sees him, why he's got that tightness."

Narron understands why Griffey is cautious.

"If I'd gone through what he has with the surgery, if I felt tight, I would not want to take any chances," the manager said. "So I don't blame him. He's available to pinch-hit, he's just not available to run."

KronoRed
04-17-2006, 03:11 AM
If he can't play by Tuesday DL him.

Heath
04-17-2006, 08:15 AM
If he can't play by Tuesday DL him.

If that's the case, he should have been DL'd last Wednesday.

Maybe that's the corresponding move when LaRue gets off the DL on Tuesday.

We'll have 3 catchers and 5 second basemen. That's a new league record.

BTW - Sorry to miss your 40,000th post Krono - I hope it was scrappy and That You Posted The Right Way and Did The Little Things.

flyer85
04-17-2006, 09:03 AM
I have to believe this is worse than the Reds are letting on.
Wow, I've said that all along, I must be a genius. :rolleyes: Right.

redsfan30
04-17-2006, 09:13 AM
I have to admit, I'm starting to worry a bit.

flyer85
04-17-2006, 09:15 AM
I have to admit, I'm starting to worry a bit.has there been a single injury with Jr as a Red that they haven't seriously downplayed?

Falls City Beer
04-17-2006, 09:32 AM
What's worse than Junior being injured is that the Reds continue to be secretive about it. Same ole Reds--trailing the fans along with half-truths to squeeze out every last ticket purchase. I guess that's why they hired a new marketing director. :)

registerthis
04-17-2006, 09:49 AM
With Junior, the injuries are ALWAYS worse than they originally let on. What begins as "a really minor thing that's barely worth mentioning" becomes a week of "day-to-day" status, followed by a trip to the DL for a month. It's ALWAYS this way with Junior, it's why I never take anything the Reds give about his status at face value.

Reds1
04-17-2006, 09:55 AM
It will be interesting to see if he plays tonight. I did see where he is going to see the dr. I was very unhappy he didn't even pinch hit in the card series. He's also on my fantasty team. :)

Reds Fanatic
04-17-2006, 10:04 AM
My problem with this whole situation is not with Junior but with the Reds medical staff. Why can't they ever be honest about injuries and how long players are going to be out. And if they are being honest you have to question how competent the Reds medical staff is when they consistently come up with estimates on injuries that end up being way off with players missing a lot more time than is originally thought.

westofyou
04-17-2006, 11:03 AM
Why can't they ever be honest about injuries and how long players are going to be out. Because they don't have to be.

No other reason.

Being honest about a players injuries also means revealing a weakness to the other team, a weakness that the other team will attempt to exploit.

What I wonder is why everytime a Reds player gets injured folks expect some sort of direct line about it to the fans, it ain't gonna happen and I'm kind of glad that they don't broadcast that stuff on the airwaves.

BTW according to Will Carroll the A's among other teams also keep this stuff close to the vest, even with guys not ticketed for the HOF

Joseph
04-17-2006, 11:13 AM
Marvin Lewis says hello to all you folks who think coaches should be completely honest about injuries. Has he ever? No. He always tries to downplay them. Remember Peter Warricks injuries a couple seasons ago? Every week Marvin said he expected him to play, but week after week he didn't. It's not uncommon in sport. It's not even uncommon in this city.

flyer85
04-17-2006, 11:16 AM
I am not saying the Reds should be more forthcoming. My only point is that I didn't believe the day-to-day stuff when they said it. To a player with Jr's injury history any leg problem is serious.

I'm just shocked people bought the day-to-day line and are surprised that his missed time is 5 games and counting.

KronoRed
04-17-2006, 03:13 PM
BTW - Sorry to miss your 40,000th post Krono - I hope it was scrappy and That You Posted The Right Way and Did The Little Things.
Thanks Heath..I try to hit well with Posts In Scoring Position

registerthis
04-17-2006, 03:19 PM
Marvin Lewis says hello to all you folks who think coaches should be completely honest about injuries. Has he ever? No. He always tries to downplay them. Remember Peter Warricks injuries a couple seasons ago? Every week Marvin said he expected him to play, but week after week he didn't. It's not uncommon in sport. It's not even uncommon in this city.

I suppose not, but I'll always remember in 2001 when the Reds had a spot eaten up on the 25-man for over a month as they pulled out that lame "Junior, pinch hitter" routine. they kept sayign he was close to coming back, close to coming back, and then BAM he's out for 3 months. My concern isn't that the Reds aren't being honest, it's that they're clueless. If Junior's going to be out awhile, DL him and call up Denofria so that the Reds have a full complement of players. Don't pinch hit him and have him re-injure himself legging out a double, or don't play him at all and have the reds down a man for the forseeable future. You can play the injury card for a couple of games, but after awhile, if the player is legitimately hurt, you're hurting yourself more than you're fooling the opposition.

Falls City Beer
04-17-2006, 03:21 PM
I am saying the Reds should be more forthcoming.

Believe it or not, honesty sells. And no one gains any competitive advantage by playing "hide the Griffey" in this day and age. There's one reason and one reason only for playing the "no DL/day-to-day" game with the fans: sell more tickets.

KronoRed
04-17-2006, 03:22 PM
If that's the case, he should have been DL'd last Wednesday.

The Reds seem to like playing with a 24 man squad.

MWM
04-17-2006, 03:24 PM
I don't mind them keeping things close to the vest. But I do find it a bit irritating when they tell us there's nothing to it over and over again just to have him out for the year. That gets a little tiresome. Just don't say anything rather than go out of your way to convince us it's not a major injury.

BRM
04-17-2006, 03:26 PM
Thanks Heath..I try to hit well with Posts In Scoring Position

You're clutch.

deltachi8
04-17-2006, 03:34 PM
I'd bet all of the $3 in my Wallet that tomorrow, Jr is on the DL and LaRue is activated.

reds44
04-17-2006, 04:00 PM
I am going to go out on a limb, and say he is in the lineup tonight.

Probably wishful thinking more then anything.

flyer85
04-17-2006, 04:29 PM
Probably wishful thinking for then anything.there certainly isn't any evidence he is near ready to play.

redsfan30
04-17-2006, 06:12 PM
According to WLW, no Junior tonight.

BRM
04-17-2006, 06:12 PM
According to WLW, no Junior tonight.

Nope. Freel is in CF again.

KronoRed
04-17-2006, 06:37 PM
DL time.

reds44
04-17-2006, 06:38 PM
DL time.
Sadly, yes.

redsfan30
04-17-2006, 08:06 PM
Wouldn't surprise me at all to see Junior go to the DL when LaRue is activated.

redsrule2500
04-17-2006, 09:41 PM
Because they don't have to be.

No other reason.

Being honest about a players injuries also means revealing a weakness to the other team, a weakness that the other team will attempt to exploit.

What I wonder is why everytime a Reds player gets injured folks expect some sort of direct line about it to the fans, it ain't gonna happen and I'm kind of glad that they don't broadcast that stuff on the airwaves.

BTW according to Will Carroll the A's among other teams also keep this stuff close to the vest, even with guys not ticketed for the HOF

Agreed, good points.