PDA

View Full Version : Ugeth Urbina

Joseph
04-18-2006, 05:03 PM
Did he sign anywhere?

Is he in jail still?

Is he a viable option for the Reds bullpen?

Should I have researched this topic more before blindly posting it?

Red Leader
04-18-2006, 05:06 PM
December 16, 2005

Free agent Ugueth Urbina was denied bail in Venezuela on charges of attempted murder, conspiring with others to commit a crime, illegal deprivation of liberty and violating a prohibition against taking justice into one's own hands.

If found guilty of all four crimes, Urbina would face up to 20 years in jail. A trial date has yet to be set. Urbina has denied involvement with the violence that injured five workers at his family's ranch, saying he was sleeping at the time of the attack.

That's the last report I have on him. I'm not sure his trial will be over by the end of the season.

Joseph
04-18-2006, 05:16 PM
Props to you.

I wasn't sure what had become of the angry one.

NatiRedGals
04-18-2006, 05:26 PM
Wednesday, February 01, 2006
The Bizarre Tale of Ugueth Urbina
Free agent relief pitcher Ugueth Urbina, who most recently played for the Philadelphia Phillies and Detroit Tigers in 2005, won't be appearing at your favorite team's spring training complex in Florida or Arizona this month. That's because he's been in jail in Venezuela since October.

Free agent RP Ugueth Urbina, now awaiting his attempted murder trial in Venezuela Posted by Picasa

Urbina is accused of attacking five men with a machete and lighter fluid on the night of October 15, 2005. The alleged incident occurred at Urbina's family ranch in Venezuela, roughly 25 miles south of the capital city of Caracas. Urbina denies the charges against him, and on Friday January 27, his request to be released from jail was denied. Although Urbina claims to have no involvement in the attacks and believes he is being extorted due to his fame and fortune as a MLB player, his accusers tell a different story (quote courtesy of ESPN.com): "'What we want is justice, for him to pay with jail time,' said Ricardo Osal, who needed 300 stitches to close wounds on his back and another 150 to repair severed tendons in his hands. 'We're not looking for any type of financial arrangement. Nothing that has anything to do with money. We don't want them to offer us any money and we're not asking them for any money.'"

The 31-year old reliever, who won a World Series ring with the Florida Marlins in 2003 and who has played for Montreal, Boston, Texas, Florida, Detroit, and Philadelphia, turns 32 on February 15. He would have been one of the hottest commodities on the free-agent market, due to his age, postseason experience, and penchant for making right-handed hitters look foolish. Instead, he sits in a jail cell in his homeland. His trial date has not been set, but he faces up to 20 years in prison for the four charges against him.

Red Leader
04-18-2006, 05:27 PM
Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Well then, that would be more recent then, wouldn't it? ;)

NatiRedGals
04-18-2006, 05:28 PM
Well then, that would be more recent then, wouldn't it? ;)

lol i just google ugeth 2006:beerme:

Heath
04-18-2006, 05:28 PM
He can come out like Ricky Vaughn -

Freel - Man, what league you been playing in?

Urbina - Venezuala Penal League.

Freel - Never heard of it, how did you get there.

Urbina - Tried to Lop off a head or two.

(Freel's mouth goes into a big "O".)

In a more serious note - SI did a story on Ozzie Gullien recently - he's a good friend of Urbina's. I figure if Urbina walks, he might wear out a pair of shoes to try to get to Chicago to play for his friend.

Down there - exhortion seems like a common place.

Wow, Philly gave up Placido Polanco for Ugie. All Sales final.

StillFunkyB
04-18-2006, 05:53 PM
Not that he did the right thing, but they kidnapped his Mom.

I'm not sure I would be able to keep my cool if I knew someone involved in doing something like that to one of my family members, especially my mother.

NatiRedGals
04-18-2006, 05:54 PM
Espically down their surprised to see they even caught him if he did it lol

oneupper
04-18-2006, 06:43 PM
Not that he did the right thing, but they kidnapped his Mom.

I'm not sure I would be able to keep my cool if I knew someone involved in doing something like that to one of my family members, especially my mother.

Different case, different people. The guys Ugueth allegedly attacked were NOT his mother's kidnappers, but as I understand it, workers or contractors of his farm.

Wheelhouse
04-18-2006, 06:51 PM
Heh! We now need to scour the prisons for relief pitching! Maybe the Reds should send some scouts to Folsom...;)