PDA

View Full Version : Jay Bruce

OnBaseMachine
04-20-2006, 07:22 AM
After another solid game last night(2-for-4, 2B, 1B and walk), Jay Bruce is now hitting .327/.397/.577 in 58 plate appearances with the Dayton Dragons. Even more encouraging, Bruce is showing off his vast power potential by hitting nine extra-base hits in 52 atbats. He has also displayed a keen eye at the plate by putting up a solid 6bb/8k ratio in 58 PA's(BB/9.7). All six of his walks have been in his last 20 plate appearances.

Bruce has also swiped three stolen bases, but on the downside he has been caught stealing three times. Better baserunning tends to come around as young players further mature.

Jay was compared to such hitters as Larry Walker and Jim Edmonds around draft time last year due to his body frame(6-3, 195), which scouts figure will grow into a 6-3, 220 frame as his body matures, and due to his enormous power potential. It's still very, very early, but so far Bruce is living up to his billing. I (and many others) were very pleased when the Reds picked Bruce last June, and so far he is doing nothing to disappoint us.

dougdirt
04-20-2006, 10:52 AM
He has been tearing it up every since he had that 0-18 slump. I still havent had a chance to make it up to Dayton yet to see him play, but I should before Tuesday or it will be a while.