PDA

View Full Version : Did the edicts from O'brien make our minors look worse than they are?

michst
04-21-2006, 11:26 AM
Seems like everyone says that are farm system is horrible. Is some of it though because Obrien made some edicts that set them up to perform badly?

If every batter had to take the 1st pitch - it was in the papers so other teams knew - why wouldn't an oposing pitcher just throw a strike down the middle and start everyone with a 0-1 count? So they get 1 more strike thats it, of course they would have lower batting average, walks etc.

Also the tandem pitching, strict counts, pitch to contact probably played with the heads of the pitchers.

I'm not saying that we have an incredible farm system but maybe they aren't the worst in the league either.

dougdirt
04-21-2006, 11:39 AM
I have been saying it since last year, the Reds farm system is underrated, and I believe they sit somewhere between 20 and 24, but there is no way they are last. I think Obrien did a good job with his 2005 draft and some of the previous drafts are beginning to show the fruits that were once not there.
Another problem is the rankings are based also on how close to the majors talent is, and most of the Reds talent is in Dayton and Sarasota with just a few peices in Chattanooga and even fewer in Louisville.

traderumor
04-21-2006, 11:45 AM
With the age of the teams being fielded at Chatty and L'ville, I think the very low ranking is well earned. However, in another year, if the lower level talent from the last two drafts indeed has significant fruit, the ranking could move up very fast with a good 2006 draft.

Doc. Scott
04-21-2006, 12:23 PM
Yeah, I think O'Brien's rules did make things look a little worse. Although I also think the Dayton folk, especially, are way overstating the "take a strike" thing as a detriment to the team. Far worse was the tandem-starter rule, because it forced pitchers to change roles away from what made them successful and flattened confidence by blunting results (wins).

ochre
04-21-2006, 03:16 PM
I don't particularly think of it as under rated. I think it has the potential for a quick turn around, but the rating (and why I think it's largely accurate) has to do with how far away the help is. There is still a major lack of 'near ready' position players. The pitching suffers from proximity (to the majors) issues still.

dougdirt
04-21-2006, 03:27 PM
I can agree with that ochre, the infield positional talent is pretty bare all across the board. I mean there is Adam Rosales who is amid an 0-14 slump, William Bergolla and Joey Votto....maybe you can include Paul Janish in there...but thats about it as far as prospects go at infield positions.

westofyou
04-21-2006, 05:33 PM
http://www.baseballprospectus.com/chat/chat.php?chatId=189

Displaced Cincy Fan (CA): Please tell me the Reds have some semblance of starting pitching in the farm system! Any indications from them in the upcoming draft?

Kevin Goldstein: The Reds have some semblance of starting pitching in the farm system! There? how's that? That's the good news. The bad news is that it's really pretty far away. Homer Bailey looks good, but he's in High A and probably won't be ready until mid-late 2007. 2005 2nd round pick Travis Wood is a personal favorite and his 19 Ks in 12.2 IP at Dayton. Patience is required, as there's not much at AA/AAA.

Aronchis
04-21-2006, 06:17 PM
The O'brien/Renyolds era drafts blew most of their money on pitching and little on offense(cheap college hitters).

I wouldn't mind if the Reds take a college arm then go to town on highschool bats, we have some young talent on the majors roster with bats, so there is no rush and Jay Bruce is singing his song.