PDA

View Full Version : Sarasota and Dayton Past Week Reports

Elam
04-24-2006, 11:55 PM
All of the following is from milb.com:

Sarasota Reds (Cincinnati Reds)
THE WEEK THAT WAS: A 4-3 week leaves Sarasota tied with two others teams in the West at 8-9.

WHO'S HOT, WHO'S NOT: 3B Jeremiah Piepkorn is hitting .348 in his last five games, including six runs scored. He had three hits in both Thursday and Friday's game (6-for-10 total) with a homerun...Firmly entrenched in Sarasota lineup, hitting third, Tonys Gutierrez is still below the .200 mark (.194).

PLAYER TO WATCH: Gutierrez is showing signs of life. His .263 average over the last five could be indicative of things to come. With Piepkorn protecting him in the Reds lineup, particularly as hot as he currently is, there's every reason to believe the 22-year-old first baseman will see hittable pitches.

PERFORMANCE OF THE WEEK: A double-double day for John Purdom helped propel the Sarasota Reds to 7-3 victory over Dunedin on April 20. He was 2-for-3 with two doubles, two runs scored and two RBIs.

QUOTE OF THE WEEK: "I've always felt I was good enough to play. I just needed the opportunity. And I made the team out of Spring Training." -- Pardom to his hometown paper, The Tribune-Star.

Dayton Dragons (Cincinnati Reds)

THE WEEK THAT WAS: The Dragons went 5-2 last week but are still smarting from a 2-8 start. They're fourth in the Eastern Division, five games out of first.

WHO'S HOT/WHO'S NOT: Carlos Fisher, who had given up nine runs in 9 1/3 innings coming into the week, won twice this week behind 12 1/3 scoreless innings. He limited the Swing to one hit over six scoreless innings in an 8-0 victory Tuesday. He followed that up Sunday with 6 1/3 scoreless innings and nine strikeouts to beat Kane County, 2-1. Bobby Mosby was 9-for-22 (.409) with eight RBIs, and Jay Bruce had two homers and eight RBIs. Gerardo Cabrera was 2-for-17 (.118) this week.

WILSON WATCH: Paul Wilson, who hasn't pitched for the Reds since undergoing shoulder surgery last June, is scheduled to begin a rehabilitation assignment this week with the Dragons. He's scheduled to start Wednesday against Peoria.

QUOTE OF THE WEEK: "People want to be known, so they put tags up every place. I went around on a John Deere Gator, and for big stuff we had a power hose; otherwise I had chemicals, a scourer and a sponge. Whatever it took, I had to get rid of it." -- Australian pitcher Wayne Lundgren told the Dayton Daily News. Lundgren took a job cleaning graffiti off walls and buildings in Sydney after the Cardinals organization released him last July

Also Drew Anderson and Bobby Mosby were named Offensive Players for their respective leagues, while Carlos Fisher was named pitcher of the week for the Midwest League.

Florida State League
Drew Anderson, Sarasota
.375 (9-24), 8 R, 2 2B, 3 3B, 0 HR, 10 RBI, 2 BB, 4 SO, 1 SB, .833 SLG

Sarasota's Drew Anderson belted three triples and two doubles, driving in 10 runs and scoring eight. The 23-year-old second baseman's pinch-hit, bases-clearing triple broke a 3-3 tie and led the Reds over Clearwater, 7-4, on April 19.

Midwest League
Bobby Mosby, Dayton
.400 (10-25), 5 R, 5 2B, 0 3B, 1 HR, 9 RBI, 0 BB, 7 SO, 0 SB, .720 SLG

Dayton's Bobby Mosby went 10-for-25 to increase his batting average from .235 to .291. The 24-year-old first baseman blasted two doubles for four RBIs in leading the Dragons over Kane County, 7-2, on April 22.

Midwest League
Carlos Fisher, Dayton
2 G, 2 GS, 0 CG, 0 SHO, 2-0, 0.00 ERA, 12.1 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 2 BB, 13 SO, 0 SV
Carlos Fisher (2-1) tossed 12 near-perfect innings for Dayton, notching two wins without yielding an earned run in two starts. The 6-foot-4 right-hander was particularly sharp against Quad Cities on April 18, when he faced the minimum of 18 batters in six innings while giving up one hit and getting the victory. The 23-year-old West Covina, Calif., native fanned nine Kane County hitters on April 23, scattering three hits and walking one for his second win.

Heath
04-25-2006, 12:26 PM
My boys are going to be disappointed. I'm having issues explaining to the them that Dragons games will no longer be populated by a venerable Mr. Piepkorn. I have boys wanting to see games in Sarasota. I hope he makes the jump to Chattanooga. I have some family in some Southern League towns :D

Glad to hear he's raking it. Keep it poppin, Piepkorn :thumbup: