PDA

View Full Version : This weekend is biggest series in 2 years

kaldaniels
04-26-2006, 04:20 PM
I'd have to say it was almost exactly 2 years ago when the 'stros came in to Cincy and we took 4 straight from them. I'd say this is the biggest series the Reds have had since then. The Reds have a huge opportunity to make a big statement by sweeping them or at least 2 of 3. Taking care of Oswalt and his streak would be awesome on Friday. It won't be easy, but hopefully the fans come out and help propel the Reds into first place!!! Man I'm excited.

Buckaholic
04-26-2006, 04:31 PM
I'm with you kal, but just keep repeating this to yourself...

"Marathon, not a sprint."

Falls City Beer
04-26-2006, 04:33 PM
I won't get too flipped out by two losses or really even a sweep. The pitching matchups suck goat cheese. I'll be shocked if the Reds win one this weekend.

kaldaniels
04-26-2006, 04:55 PM
I'm with you kal, but just keep repeating this to yourself...

Don't know why you are compelled to give me that advice, but anywhooo, this is a big series.

Caveat Emperor
04-26-2006, 04:58 PM
You're right about one thing -- there's a bit of a buzz around the team, and the more the team wins, the more fans are going to pursuaded to get up and hit the ballpark.

They could get a good gate this weekend, and nothing makes a repeat customer like sending the fans home happy.

As for the impact on the total season -- I'd be satisfied for .500 ball at home. Win the games you're supposed to win, split the rest.

Buckaholic
04-26-2006, 05:48 PM
Don't know why you are compelled to give me that advice, but anywhooo, this is a big series.

I guess my point was, despite how nice it would be to see how the Reds react in a series like this, it's the end of April so the result is not going to have a great deal of impact for now. I think this series is being used more as a litmus test than anything else, but if the Reds are going to be good this season or not, I don't believe the impact of this one series is going to have a lot of impact ultimately.

Aronchis
04-26-2006, 06:03 PM
Yeah, some teams take awhile to fire up, others are playing their best right now. I think the Reds are one of those teams. They have 2 holes in the starting rotation and if Claussen implodes finally, 3 holes, holes you can't all fill. The bullpen has 3 maybe 4 guys that I believe may be decent over a full season.

The Reds simply are starting off good this year, while last year they started off bad, getting Arroyo may have helped, but he was brought in more for 2007 or maybe a summer trade if the package is good with a advanced prospect.

Jr's Boy
04-26-2006, 06:25 PM
If the Reds can stay in the hunt till the end of May,they could be on to something,and not just a hot start.Of course its so tough being a Reds fan trying to be optimistic for the future.However we have at least two good arms in Harang and Arroyo who I dont see imploding,knock wood.

kaldaniels
04-26-2006, 07:29 PM
Yeah, some teams take awhile to fire up, others are playing their best right now. I think the Reds are one of those teams. They have 2 holes in the starting rotation and if Claussen implodes finally, 3 holes, holes you can't all fill. The bullpen has 3 maybe 4 guys that I believe may be decent over a full season.

The Reds simply are starting off good this year, while last year they started off bad, getting Arroyo may have helped, but he was brought in more for 2007 or maybe a summer trade if the package is good with a advanced prospect.

Are you suggesting the Reds will trade AWAY good starting pitching, actually good economical starting pitching...c'mon.

NatiRedGals
04-26-2006, 07:47 PM
http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/5400/153qu.gif (http://imageshack.us)
If my calculations are correct the reds are due to sweep this series and make everyone piss their pants in surprise ..... O and take over first place while we are it ..... home run galore ...... River maybe......

kbrake
04-26-2006, 08:11 PM
I view this weekend as a big series even though it is April. I think other teams around MLB view the Reds as an early season fluke and they probaly are right. Yet, if the Reds could come out and hit the Astros and the Cards in the mouth over the next 5 games it might make this team look a little bit more for real.

Aronchis
04-26-2006, 08:16 PM
Are you suggesting the Reds will trade AWAY good starting pitching, actually good economical starting pitching...c'mon.

No I am saying if the Reds could deal Arroyo away for a number 2 starter who would lead in 2008, they will do it, but other than that, he will pitch out the rest of his "handshake" contract with Cincy.

kaldaniels
04-26-2006, 08:25 PM
No I am saying if the Reds could deal Arroyo away for a number 2 starter who would lead in 2008, they will do it, but other than that, he will pitch out the rest of his "handshake" contract with Cincy.

Assuming Arroyo keeps up throwing above average stuff...not Cy Young material of course but pitching well...present a scenario where it makes sense to trade him away i.e., name a name or 2 that would make sense. It's just that if he is pitching well...I can't see any reason to dump him this season at the break...we have him for the next 2 years. I'm interested to see what you have in mind.

TeamBoone
04-26-2006, 09:37 PM
Assuming Arroyo keeps up throwing above average stuff...not Cy Young material of course but pitching well...present a scenario where it makes sense to trade him away i.e., name a name or 2 that would make sense. It's just that if he is pitching well...I can't see any reason to dump him this season at the break...we have him for the next 2 years. I'm interested to see what you have in mind.

And at a decent price. He was a steal that will probably never happen again.

If he keeps pitching well, the Reds would be nuts to trade him away.

RedsBaron
04-26-2006, 09:42 PM

Exactly. Keep him unless another team absolutely blows you away with an offer.

George Foster
04-26-2006, 09:50 PM
I won't get too flipped out by two losses or really even a sweep. The pitching matchups suck goat cheese. I'll be shocked if the Reds win one this weekend.

I agree, its a long season. With Dunn hitting like he is blindfolded, and Griffey out, one win will be enough this weekend.

Aronchis
04-26-2006, 09:56 PM

Yeah, but what if the Mets went stupid again and say, offered, Mike Pelfrey for Arroyo because they wanted more "veteren pitching depth"? Never say never.

I doubt Arroyo is traded, but if the right pitcher came along that was advanced, you do it without hesitation.

Buckaholic
04-26-2006, 10:00 PM
Yeah, but what if the Mets went stupid again and say, offered, Mike Pelfrey for Arroyo because they wanted more "veteren pitching depth"? Never say never.

I doubt Arroyo is traded, but if the right pitcher came along that was advanced, you do it without hesitation.

I don't get the feeling Krivsky is about to trade a successful major league pitcher for anyone that has not proven himself on the major league level. I realize someone like Pelfrey, for example, might have a higher ceiling than does Arroyo, but the way Arroyo is pitching, why would you even consider trading your No. 1 starter for a prospect??

The days of this organization taking a step back is over with, in my honest opinion. I would imagine to get someone like Pelfrey, they're not gonna trade a good pitcher to get him unless they expect said pitcher to be walking as a free agent. Since Arroyo is signed for a good price for a couple more years, that's not going to be an issue right now.

kaldaniels
04-26-2006, 10:07 PM

See I think we differ here. I don't think that would be a stupid trade for the Mets...It would be a stupid trade for the Reds. I'd say 95% of Redszone wouldn't make that trade. Arroyo is ideal for the Reds if he pitches well, so I can't imagine him traded.

It seems 8 of 10 pitching prospects (at least) never pan out. Can you say Edwin Jackson anyone.

toledodan
04-26-2006, 10:54 PM
they need to atleast go 3-2 during the homestand to be taken serious.

indyred
04-26-2006, 10:58 PM
should get 100k fans for Houston series I hope.....

toledodan
04-26-2006, 11:41 PM
should get 100k fans for Houston series I hope.....

if we can put people in the stands and stay in contention ownership will get us some pitching at the trade deadline. this series would be a good time for an early turnout.:thumbup:

Caseyfan21
04-26-2006, 11:45 PM
I'll be coming down Friday night. I remember that Houston series like yesterday. I went to three of the four and all of the games I went to were last minute decisions to just go down. That 2004 series was a lot of fun early on.

I think the Reds will have their hands full Friday night. Oswalt has been an absolute stud so far this season. Too bad we couldn't have lined up Harang or Arroyo to face him but Claussen is due to bounce back.

toledodan
04-26-2006, 11:52 PM
I think the Reds will have their hands full Friday night. Oswalt has been an absolute stud so far this season. Too bad we couldn't have lined up Harang or Arroyo to face him but Claussen is due to bounce back.

if not for the off day they might have been able to push BA back a game. of course its to early to be messing with the rotation but i agree it would have been a better matchup. lets hope claussen can keep us in the game.

Jr's Boy
04-27-2006, 02:11 AM

Above average stuff?You see that nasty breaking stuff he was throwing tonight?That curve is downright sick.

kbrake
04-27-2006, 07:09 AM
Yeah I am going down tomorrow night too, although I think I might be making the 2 hour trip by myself because I cant find anyone who can make it but oh well. I also dont know why I am going down to see Oswalt vs. Claussen but I guess I because I work Sat. and Sun. and this might be the only game I can get to for awhile.

GAC
04-27-2006, 08:15 AM
I'm worried more about the month of May, then the Astros in April.

May has not been kind to this team in recent years. ;)

toledodan
04-27-2006, 04:25 PM
i started a thread about the may schedule. if we're serious contenders we will have a big month of may. june is the month that scares me.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45444

fourrunhomer
04-28-2006, 10:14 AM
Yes, there is a lot of season left, but if the Reds can win both series (Houston/St. Louis) I think it establishes that this team can be for real. Also, it would really boost an already high morale for the players that may just carry them over the top. Conversley, losing these series could put a hit on their psyche that could carry over to the next couple weeks. Also, I'm not one who thinks a series at the beginning of the season is not as important as one in September. Every game, every series, every homestand, every roadtrip is big. This next week goes a long way in establishing who is the front runner in the division. By Wed. night the Reds can be anywhere from 5 1/2 games up to 6 1/2 games out. Yes, these are two big series.