PDA

View Full Version : Delmon Young

Gainesville Red
04-26-2006, 10:14 PM
Just read on the Baseball Tonight crawl that Delmon Young threw his bat into an umpire's chest after being called out on strikes in Pawtucket. Yikes, must have been a terrible call.;)

Falls City Beer
04-26-2006, 10:16 PM
Yikes, must have been a terrible call.;)

Must have been sociopathic.

KronoRed
04-26-2006, 10:18 PM
That's gonna be a nice suspension.

Newman4
04-26-2006, 10:20 PM
I saw that on the bottom line. Is the ump injured?

Gainesville Red
04-26-2006, 10:24 PM
Hope not, I'd feel bad for making a joke in my post. I assume he had a chest protector of some sort.

ochre
04-26-2006, 10:24 PM
Is it true Delmon's song coming to the plate is the Woody Guthrie classic "Union Train"?

Heath
04-26-2006, 10:36 PM
Is it true Delmon's song coming to the plate is the Woody Guthrie classic "Union Train"?

I thought it would be now 'Take this job and shove it.'

Newman4
04-26-2006, 10:42 PM
They just reported the ump was fine.

Buckaholic
04-26-2006, 10:58 PM
Those chest protectors usually guard pretty well against foul balls, so I would imagine it would prevent too much more than a bruise for someone throwing a bat and hitting him in the chest.

But as far as the incident itself, yep that's gonna mean Delmon is sitting out for a large chunk of games. I'm guessing a 25 to 50-game suspension.

Team Clark
04-26-2006, 11:00 PM
I can hardly wait to see the game report.... Geez!

TC81190
04-27-2006, 08:26 AM
Wonder if we could buy low?

Heath
04-27-2006, 08:29 AM
Wonder if we could buy low?

The poster above you is laughing extremely hard right now.

So is Andrew Friedman, Stuart Sternberg, and the rest of your Tampa Bay Devil Rays!

TC81190
04-27-2006, 08:30 AM
I forgot one of these :D

Team Clark
04-27-2006, 10:15 AM
The accounts I have heard this morning are consistent with a few articles I read. I found out that Corky Miller was behind the dish. I have a call in to him. I'd love to hear his unedited version. My guess is Delmon will be sitting 20-30 days. It's a real shame but not unexpected.

Jpup
04-27-2006, 10:23 AM
The accounts I have heard this morning are consistent with a few articles I read. I found out that Corky Miller was behind the dish. I have a call in to him. I'd love to hear his unedited version. My guess is Delmon will be sitting 20-30 days. It's a real shame but not unexpected.

Corky should have given him the big boot and the leg drop of death. :p:

Reds Fanatic
04-27-2006, 11:01 AM
Here is a full story about what happened.

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/app/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060426&content_id=61709&vkey=news_milb&fext=.jsp

Tampa Bay Devil Rays top prospect Delmon Young is facing a potentially lengthy suspension after throwing his bat at an umpire's chest during Wednesday night's game at Pawtucket.
The Durham Bulls outfielder, listed No. 1 on most prospect lists, including MLB.com's, took a called third strike from Pawtucket's Jon Lester in the first inning of the International League contest. Following the strike call, the No. 1 overall pick in the 2003 draft refused to leave the batter's box, glaring back at the home plate umpire for an extended period of time, according to those who witnessed the game.

"He stood there, looking back for a long period of time, maybe 30 seconds," Pawtucket broadcaster Dan Hoard recalled. "It was borderline, but not ridiculous from the vantage point of the broadcasting booth. I've learned since, from the Pawtucket catcher (Corky Miller), that the umpire told him to go back and he wouldn't go."

Young finally took a step or two toward his dugout when the umpire ejected him from the game. The timing of the ejection made it seem like Young said something to the umpire as he began his retreat, but Hoard said Miller told him Young was silent at the time.

Young then took a couple of steps and threw the bat at the umpire. According to AP reports, Young flipped the bat underhand. It sailed end over end and hit the umpire in the chest.

"It wasn't with force, but I'd say that was his intent," Hoard said. "He went back to the dugout and disappeared. That was the end of his night and the end of his playing for some time."

No one from the International League was available for comment on the incident. According to policy, the umpire will file a report with president Randy Mobley on Thursday. Mobley, in turn, will read it, interview those involved in the incident and make the decision what kind of suspension should be handed down.

In addition, no one with the Devil Rays, including several players reached for comment, would comment until executives in the organization had a chance to review tape of the incident. Young, 20, gave an official "no comment" when reached in his hotel room after the game. "It's going to be interesting," Hoard said. "He's certainly looking at a lengthy suspension from the league. I'm not sure if the Rays will tack on anything.

"I've never seen anyone throw a bat at anybody. I've seen a lot of games and never seen that before."

This is not the first time Young has let his anger get the better of him. Last May, while playing in the Double-A Southern League for the Montgomery Biscuits, he drew a three-game suspension for bumping an umpire. He also was nearly ejected earlier in the season when, after being hit by a pitch, he flung his bat in the air and it landed about 20 feet from the pitcher.

Minor League Baseball games have been umpired by replacements for every game thus far in the 2006 season, with the regular crews currently out on strike.

Young was hitting .333 with 12 steals (tied for the IL lead with teammate B.J. Upton) entering the game

Blimpie
04-27-2006, 01:24 PM
ESPN is now reporting that Delmon Young has been "suspended indefinitely by the International League pending the outcome of their investigation..."

westofyou
04-27-2006, 01:25 PM
Kill the Umpire - Or at least show him up. (http://baseballminutia.com/blog/2006/04/27/kill-the-umpire-or-at-least-show-him-up/)

IowaRed
04-27-2006, 01:38 PM
http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/app/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060426&content_id=61709&vkey=news_milb&fext=.jsp

no video, but here are is a link to listen to both teams radio calls, including Dan Hoard

Jr's Boy
04-27-2006, 02:07 PM
Plus it was a scab umpire too.

Blimpie
04-27-2006, 02:59 PM
After listening to the audio, it just dawned on me that Young's strike out and subsequent posturing occurred after the FIRST OUT of the freaking ballgame!

Boy, one can only imagine how frustrated the Durham batters might have become with the home plate ump's calls by the time, say, the third or fourth out was recorded....:rolleyes:

TOBTTReds
04-27-2006, 04:36 PM
Just saw the video on Jim Rome...this was no little toss of the bat. He flipped it under hand, relatively hard at him. There was no arc on it at all, and probably from about 10-15 feet away. Way to go.

BrooklynRedz
04-27-2006, 04:38 PM
Video is also here: http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/index.jsp

Scroll down...second in the list of video.

Handofdeath
04-27-2006, 04:59 PM
Just saw the video on Jim Rome...this was no little toss of the bat. He flipped it under hand, relatively hard at him. There was no arc on it at all, and probably from about 10-15 feet away. Way to go.

He should be more like his brother. Just keep your mouth shut, go back to the dugout, and grab yourself a box of Twinkies.

Matt700wlw
04-27-2006, 05:02 PM
Dan Hoard on the radio call :)

Reds Nd2
04-27-2006, 05:41 PM
He's soooo

http://www.runningscared.org/files/jazz-screwed.gif

KoryMac5
04-27-2006, 08:58 PM
The umpire could press charges also for the bat throwing incident.

IowaRed
04-27-2006, 09:12 PM
It was much worse than I expected. From what I could tell it was significantly more than a "flip" of the bat as I've heard it described. That bat was moving pretty fast

2001MUgrad
04-27-2006, 10:25 PM
Very strange looking on the replay I saw on sportcenter. The catchers reaction was kinda like okay I better put my mask on. The pitcher just stared in like what the f***

jmcclain19
04-27-2006, 11:29 PM
Wow - just saw the replay for the first time.
That was a no doubter sharp throw of the bat towards the umpire. And it had some serious velocity to it as well.

I think the only thing in Baseball i've seen that was comparable, shock value wise, was a few years back when Izzy Alcantara unexpectedly kicked the catcher in the face after a pitch and charged the pitchers mound during a minor league game.

Caseyfan21
04-27-2006, 11:49 PM
Very strange looking on the replay I saw on sportcenter. The catchers reaction was kinda like okay I better put my mask on. The pitcher just stared in like what the f***

The catcher was none other than Corky Miller.

RedsMan3203
04-28-2006, 01:40 AM
Video here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wW0tuz3_Hgc&search=Delmon%20Young%20)

Jpup
04-28-2006, 02:33 AM
I would suspend him for the rest of the season. This guy will never get another call in his life either.

Outshined_One
04-28-2006, 02:55 AM
Should be fun to see the legal ramifications of this one. RI's criminal statute seems to indicate he could get charged with felony assault if the umpire decided to take that route. Given the special treatment and access to high-priced lawyers athletes tend to have, my gut tells me he'll get the charges knocked down to the point of getting probation plus community service (if this ended up going to court).

However, I'm guessing a lawsuit followed by a settlement is most likely.

As for his penalty, Pete Rose's 30 day vacation for getting into a shoving match with an ump back in 1988 should provide a good indicator for this one, as opposed to the Alomar and Everett incidents. I'm guessing Young gets between 50-100 games.

WMR
04-28-2006, 03:24 AM
Saw the video; totally inexcusable.

I hope they suspend him the rest of the season.

WMR
04-28-2006, 03:24 AM
And as someone else mentioned, this will haunt him in regards to umps and calls for the rest of his career.

BrooklynRedz
04-28-2006, 11:09 AM
And as someone else mentioned, this will haunt him in regards to umps and calls for the rest of his career.

Not so sure about that considering the ump in question was a "scab". I'm sure there is a portion of the striking umps that will claim the incident would have been defused properly had the home plate ump been more experienced, blah blah blah...

Chip R
04-28-2006, 11:23 AM
Not so sure about that considering the ump in question was a "scab". I'm sure there is a portion of the striking umps that will claim the incident would have been defused properly had the home plate ump been more experienced, blah blah blah...

That may be but you gotta figure every time an umpire makes a call Delmon doesn't like, scab or no scab, they are thinking in the back of their minds he might do something similar to them.

LincolnparkRed
04-28-2006, 11:34 AM
here is his weak excuse/apology

"I sincerely regret my actions in the game yesterday," Young said in a statement released by the office of his agent, Arn Tellem. "Regrettably, in the heat of the competition my emotions got the better of me.

"My behavior was completely unacceptable. I want everyone to know that I recognize that it is never right to throw a bat and I certainly never intended for the bat to make contact with the umpire. Nevertheless, I owe an apology to my team, the fans and most importantly to the umpire, for the incident. I am sorry."

I posted this on the other board but this is such crap, I hope he gets suspended for the rest of the season and the ump sues him for some of his signing bonus.

smith288
04-28-2006, 12:32 PM
I like How Corky Miller sorta saw it happened, shrugged it off and got himself ready for the next batter.

Spitball
04-28-2006, 01:28 PM
He should be more like his brother. Just keep your mouth shut, go back to the dugout, and grab yourself a box of Twinkies.

SPORTS PEOPLE: BASEBALL; Players Banned in Fan Attack

Published: August 2, 1995
Two players from the Class AA Arkansas Travelers were suspended indefinitely after attacking a pair of heckling Wichita Wranglers fans in the stands.

Witnesses at Monday night's Texas League game in Wichita, Kan., said DMITRI YOUNG, 22, punched a man and KEITH JONES, 24, hit another man in the back with a bat. Neither of the two fans requested medical attention. Witnesses said at least one of the fans kept calling Young "Pork Chop." (AP)

After this incident, an Arkansas newspaper ran a story about Dmitri breaking a man's jaw when he was fifteen.

smith288
04-28-2006, 02:39 PM
Dmitri also had that white goatee which should have brought a lawsuit too. :lol:

Hap
04-28-2006, 02:58 PM
This will haunt him the remainder of his career.

Everywhere he goes, even at home, the fans will get drunk and taunt him mercilessly.

karma karma karma karma karma chameleon...........

blumj
04-28-2006, 04:50 PM
This will haunt him the remainder of his career.

Everywhere he goes, even at home, the fans will get drunk and taunt him mercilessly.

karma karma karma karma karma chameleon...........

He could throw bats at them, too.

KronoRed
04-28-2006, 05:20 PM
He could throw bats at them, too.
They might throw them back ;)