PDA

View Full Version : Listening to games online

fielder's choice
04-29-2006, 06:18 PM
Can you still listen to games on the internet? What is the site? Thanks.

Unassisted
04-29-2006, 06:20 PM
The free sites have all gone offline. The only way to listen online now is to subscribe at mlb.com.

RedsMan3203
04-29-2006, 06:20 PM
Most likely not. Because of MLB Gameday Audio.

But if you can find a site... Its good... But most will be blacked out/taken off the air.

TeamBoone
04-29-2006, 06:56 PM
Some people have been having luck with this site... http://thegamelive.com/

HotCorner
04-29-2006, 07:39 PM
Some people have been having luck with this site... http://thegamelive.com/

Not any longer.

OSUredsFAN
04-29-2006, 08:28 PM
I listened to todays game via that site.

George Foster
04-29-2006, 09:11 PM
Pay the money, it's 13 or 14 dollars. I listen to day games at work, it's like marty and steve are in the room, very good audio.

Unassisted
04-29-2006, 09:42 PM
I was a charter subscriber to MLB Gameday Audio until MLB.TV came out and I have subscribed to it every year since. I grit my teeth every spring when I enter my credit card number, but in the long run, I figure some of that money I pay benefits the Reds, which is certainly fine with me.

I try not to think about the part that benefits certain other teams. ;)

toledodan
04-29-2006, 11:55 PM
mlb audio is worth the money. for only 15 bucks you can listen to any game anytime.

Jr's Boy
04-30-2006, 02:04 AM
Not any longer.

You can still get the game on there,but it takes a while sometime.

GAC
04-30-2006, 07:07 AM
People want to listen free, watch for free, and cheaper tickets.

Where do they think payroll comes from? :dunno:

Deepred05
04-30-2006, 09:59 AM
MLB TV is crap. I am lucky to get 50% of the games to work.

westofyou
04-30-2006, 10:55 AM
MLB TV is crap. I am lucky to get 50% of the games to work.
MLB TV just moved from taking feeds via the airwaves to having a direct digital feed to their own sever warehouse. Before this year the conduit was all here and there, therefore this year should be better but expect a few glitches here and there while they straighten it out.

Fact is it should be way better by mid season then ever before, I myself have the MLB package on TV, but am yhinking of getting the MLB TV so I can watch anything I want.... anything I want... very cool.

2001MUgrad
04-30-2006, 03:04 PM
I think a couple of the free streams on thegamelive work from time to time, but are not something you can count on. I always listened to WKKI or that station on athensi.com and neither have worked this year to my knowledge. The bad thing about the MLB.com feed is that it is anywhere from 7-15 seconds behind my directTV FSNOH feed. WKKI over the net last year was about 2-5 seconds behind. Thats the only downside to mlb.com. I think there has been one time this year I've had problems with it.

Deepred05
05-01-2006, 08:41 AM
MLB TV just moved from taking feeds via the airwaves to having a direct digital feed to their own sever warehouse. Before this year the conduit was all here and there, therefore this year should be better but expect a few glitches here and there while they straighten it out.

Fact is it should be way better by mid season then ever before, I myself have the MLB package on TV, but am yhinking of getting the MLB TV so I can watch anything I want.... anything I want... very cool.
So West, you think it will be better? I sure enjoy it when it works, but I get so frustrated watching the pregame show, and then having them shut down on me for overloaded server. (Or something to that effect.) I canceled my subscription yesterday, but might pick it back up if they get their act together.

Blimpie
05-01-2006, 09:35 AM
I think a couple of the free streams on thegamelive work from time to time, but are not something you can count on. I always listened to WKKI or that station on athensi.com and neither have worked this year to my knowledge. The bad thing about the MLB.com feed is that it is anywhere from 7-15 seconds behind my directTV FSNOH feed. WKKI over the net last year was about 2-5 seconds behind. Thats the only downside to mlb.com. I think there has been one time this year I've had problems with it.Last week, somebody on a game thread posted that as long as you begin your webcast before the Reds programming begins on that station...then you won't be denied access. I haven't been able to try before gametime since then, but it is worth a shot.

westofyou
05-01-2006, 10:11 AM
So West, you think it will be better? I sure enjoy it when it works, but I get so frustrated watching the pregame show, and then having them shut down on me for overloaded server. (Or something to that effect.) I canceled my subscription yesterday, but might pick it back up if they get their act together.
From what i heard (it was BP Radio's show from last week not this past week) that it will get better and the fact is that they host and stream all the games from their own site, and yes they know there are problems and they are working on that.

My take is it might be a headache technology for awhile, but eventually they should get their act together. But they have come a long way in 8 years, I remember when pretty much the Marlins were the only team with NET radio.

MLB probably bit off more than they could chew so they could have complete control, since they are running things themselves at the same time they are getting cash and testing technology it hurts the people who have shelled out the cash and have to experince the growing pains.

But I can't see it getting worse.

Chip R
05-01-2006, 10:51 AM
Last week, somebody on a game thread posted that as long as you begin your webcast before the Reds programming begins on that station...then you won't be denied access. I haven't been able to try before gametime since then, but it is worth a shot.

I haven't tried that with WATH but it doesn't work with WKKI. You'll hear the pre-game show and almost up to the 1st pitch but after that it will give you an error.

registerthis
05-01-2006, 11:44 AM
mlb audio is worth the money. for only 15 bucks you can listen to any game anytime.

Indeed it is, when the gameday Audio page is working, that is. All kinds of trouble son opening Day (VERY frustrating), but all the kinks seem to have been worked out since then.

If the technology is working, I think $15 is a reasonable price to pay for a yearly audio subscription. I've been getting it every year since they began offering it, and its great.

Of course, I'm also getting Extra Innings for free thanks to a screw-up by the local cable TV provider. Not that I'm complaining. :)

savafan
05-01-2006, 11:53 AM
People want to listen free, watch for free, and cheaper tickets.

Where do they think payroll comes from? :dunno:

I see what you're saying GAC, but radio has been, and should always be free, IMO. MLB trying to bleed every last dollar out of it's fans is one of the reasons the sport has lost popularity.

CBS ran free live streaming feeds of all of the NCAA basketball tournament games on it's website. I know which I love more, but look at which is more popular.

westofyou
05-01-2006, 12:11 PM
CBS ran free live streaming feeds of all of the NCAA basketball tournament games on it's website. I know which I love more, but look at which is more popular.Baseball by a mile.

Baseball does broadcast for free, I get Mariners games every day.

I have to pay to hear or see the Reds, for years I had to call the sports department on the newspaper to get the Reds score, or the old dial a score number.

Complaining about $15 after years of no contact outside of the immediate marketplace is a mere pittance.

registerthis
05-01-2006, 12:23 PM
Baseball by a mile.

I have to pay to hear or see the Reds, for years I had to call the sports department on the newspaper to get the Reds score, or the old dial a score number.

Complaining about $15 after years of no contact outside of the immediate marketplace is a mere pittance.

No kidding. If you had told me when I was 12-13 years old that for about $2 a month I could listen to any baseball game i wanted to, at any time, I would have practically wet my pants with joy.

Just because it's on the net doesn't mean it should be free. Buck up and pay the $15, and enjoy your games.

savafan
05-01-2006, 12:28 PM

Unfortunately, $15 a month isn't a pittance when your pay gets cut twice in the span of a year, you may get only 25 hours of work in a week, or 70, and you never know from one week to the next, your car is constantly needing serviced, the price of gas keeps going up, you're having no luck finding a new job, and your roommate may have to move out because they can't afford their share of the rent sticking you with all of it. Sad to say, I'm going out picking up pennies and saving them for Ramen Noodles and Big K soda so I can eat everyday. When those kinds of things happen, $15 a month is a lot of money.

traderumor
05-01-2006, 12:29 PM
Baseball by a mile.

Complaining about $15 after years of no contact outside of the immediate marketplace is a mere pittance.And even the free ones have the bills paid by advertisers.

registerthis
05-01-2006, 12:31 PM
Unfortunately, $15 a month isn't a pittance ...When those kinds of things happen, $15 a month is a lot of money.

It's not $15 a month. It's $15 for the year, which works out to about $2 a month. If you can't afford $2 a month, how can you afford Internet service?

savafan
05-01-2006, 12:36 PM
It's not $15 a month. It's $15 for the year, which works out to about $2 a month. If you can't afford $2 a month, how can you afford Internet service?

I could probably afford $2 a month, but it's a luxury I don't need right now, so I'll pass. As for internet service, I'm on cheap, cheap dial-up that boots me off at least once every two hours. I do see it as a necessity because I talk to my family on IM, which is cheaper than long distance, plus on weeks where I have days of working from 10 AM until midnight or longer, it's the only way to job hunt.

savafan
05-01-2006, 12:38 PM
I'll bow out of this conversation now. Not really sure why I got involved in the first place, except I feel that radio feeds should be free, when not much else is these days. :) I don't want to make this a conversation about me and my struggles, so carry on.

registerthis
05-01-2006, 12:46 PM
I'll bow out of this conversation now. Not really sure why I got involved in the first place, except I feel that radio feeds should be free, when not much else is these days. :) I don't want to make this a conversation about me and my struggles, so carry on.

The radio is free, though. All you need is an antenna.

If you want to receive said radio transmission over the Internet, however, you need to pay. Seems about right to me.

And, BTW, I pay $5.95 a month for my dial up access. Doesn't get much cheaper than that, unless you're using that crummy free service through OSU. :)

KittyDuran
05-01-2006, 01:09 PM
I'll bow out of this conversation now. Not really sure why I got involved in the first place, except I feel that radio feeds should be free, when not much else is these days. :) I don't want to make this a conversation about me and my struggles, so carry on.Sava - you can get the Reds via either WLW or 980AM can't you...?:confused:

savafan
05-01-2006, 01:18 PM
Sava - you can get the Reds via either WLW or 980AM can't you...?:confused:

Yeah, and I always have a radio nearby. I just hate that MLB charges for radio feeds of their games when you can hear all other radio for free on the internet.

Reds Nd2
05-01-2006, 02:01 PM

The streaming is supposed to be improved but I haven't noticed any difference yet. One thing that annoys me this season is between innings on some games, MLB has began running there own commercials for MLB BLog or something. It's not that I 'm a fan "muti-tasking" commercials but the dead air between innings suck.

Be carefull woy, because while you can always watch what you want, sometimes you can't watch it when you want. Sunday night games are blacked out and Saturday afternoon games will be blacked out soon. If you've got an MLB package through your cable/sattelite then it's probably not a problem. If you rely on MLB.TV like I do, it sucks like dead air. Overall though, it's cool. Way cool.

Reds Nd2
05-01-2006, 02:06 PM
Yeah, and I always have a radio nearby. I just hate that MLB charges for radio feeds of their games when you can hear all other radio for free on the internet.

The NFL also charges for their audio streams.

westofyou
05-01-2006, 02:14 PM
I just hate that MLB charges for radio feeds of their games when you can hear all other radio for free on the internet.NBA, College Football and NHL all charge for their broadcasts.

Who is free?

RawOwl UK
05-01-2006, 03:24 PM
mlb.tv is fantastic :) The quality has improved so so much since last year, don't think real player can be used now though. I guess the day games are better for me than you guys though !! Seriously how do you get any work done during the day games ? I still haven't worked that one out.

Chip R
05-01-2006, 03:26 PM
Seriously how do you get any work done during the day games ? I still haven't worked that one out.

American Ingenuity. :usa: ;)

registerthis
05-01-2006, 05:37 PM
Seriously how do you get any work done during the day games ? I still haven't worked that one out.

1. Set up your computer monitor so that it faces away from the door to your office.
2. Keep your hand on your mouse and stare intently at the screen, frowning occasionally, as if you are reviewing next quarter's budget numbers.
3. Keep the noise to a minimum, because it's very difficult to explain what the phrase "Whooo Dunner!" has to do with the corporate world.

That about does it. :)

Patrick Bateman
05-01-2006, 05:41 PM
NBA, College Football and NHL all charge for their broadcasts.

Who is free?

The NHL audio feeds are still free.

KronoRed
05-01-2006, 05:43 PM
American Ingenuity. :usa: ;)
Multitasking you mean?

NastyBoy
05-01-2006, 05:49 PM
I will be watching tomorrows game here at work in Cincy. For some reason, all the games are blacked out at home, but I can watch them all here at work. I think it may have something when I was in NYC last year at this time.

I have a dual monitor setup. I put the game on on 15 inch screen and work on the 23 inch screen. Everyone knows I have MLB.tv, so they stop by and watch a few minutes of the game and get score updates.

westofyou
05-01-2006, 06:31 PM
The NHL audio feeds are still free.
I read they were just for the playoffs, if they are all free that will end as the lock out fades in the background

Patrick Bateman
05-01-2006, 06:34 PM
I read they were just for the playoffs, if they are all free that will end as the lock out fades in the background

You are probably right about that, but still I listened to just about every Blackhawk game this year for free (even as painful as it was).

savafan
05-02-2006, 12:39 AM
NBA, College Football and NHL all charge for their broadcasts.

Who is free?

I guess college basketball and minor league baseball is it then. Still, it hasn't always been this way, and I still don't believe that it should be. I'd pay extra to get to watch the games without hesitation, but simply listening to the radio feed, somethings should remain sacred, in my opinion.