PDA

View Full Version : I'm rooting for Albert Pujols!

savafan
04-30-2006, 10:05 PM
Pujols has put up the best April ever in the history of Major League Baseball, and he's doing it cleanly (I believe this, and I've seen nor heard anything that would contradict it).

In 1998, at the end of April, McGwire had 11 homeruns.

In 2001, Barry Bonds had 11 homeruns at the end of April.

I know it is early, but with 14 homeruns, Pujols is on a record breaking pace, and I'd love to see him do it, if for no other reason than to clear my memory of steroid induced records.

I know that he plays on a division rival, and I hope he hits 74 homeruns or more in many a losing game ;) But I really, really want to see him take this record.

Anyone else feel this way?

griffeyfreak4
04-30-2006, 10:07 PM
No.

Newman4
04-30-2006, 10:08 PM
He plays for "them" so obviously no.

KronoRed
04-30-2006, 10:10 PM
Helps to have a near non existent striker zone (so say the umps)

Jr's Boy
04-30-2006, 10:12 PM
Cannot pull for him.

savafan
04-30-2006, 10:16 PM
I rooted for Mark McGwire back in '98. I didn't care that he played for the Cardinals, I love baseball, and I thought the homerun chase was great. I'll tell you a little secret, I actually own a McGwire Cardinals' jersey. Not that I wear it, especially not now.

I can't think of anything that would be better for the sport in 2006, short of the Reds winning it all, than to see Barry Bonds' 73 homerun season become irrelevant.

At least I know that MattyMo will agree with me.

Newman4
04-30-2006, 10:18 PM
George is that you?:)

MWM
04-30-2006, 10:18 PM
In '98, the Reds were never in the race and the Cards weren't either. This year is different. I'll root for him to forget how great he is and come back down to earth.

RBA
04-30-2006, 10:26 PM
NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Falls City Beer
04-30-2006, 10:29 PM
The thought of rooting for Albert Pujols has about the same piquancy as the idea of my cat performing a strip tease.

MattyHo4Life
04-30-2006, 10:29 PM

You know me too well. :D

George Foster
04-30-2006, 10:34 PM
NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If A.P. hits 74 homeruns, the Cardnials will win 110 games. They might win 100 with him only hitting 40-45.

Larry Schuler
04-30-2006, 10:38 PM
Perhaps if he weren't developing a Sosa-like self-appreciation after each home run I'd be more sympathetic.

savafan
04-30-2006, 10:40 PM
If A.P. hits 74 homeruns, the Cardnials will win 110 games. They might win 100 with him only hitting 40-45.

Not if, say, he goes 9 for 9 tomorrow with 9 homeruns, that's just one game. :p:

Newman4
04-30-2006, 10:42 PM
I like Barry, even with steriods, better than any Cards player past,present or future. That kinda sums it up.

Fullboat
04-30-2006, 11:12 PM
The only thing I will be rooting is for Pujols to get IBB all night long.

Red in Chicago
04-30-2006, 11:27 PM
me thinks he needs more "chin music" and he wouldn't be hitting so many home runs:cool:

KronoRed
04-30-2006, 11:29 PM
Intentional walks? bean him..save the pitches.

NastyBoy
04-30-2006, 11:59 PM
Pujols has put up the best April ever in the history of Major League Baseball, and he's doing it cleanly (I believe this, and I've seen nor heard anything that would contradict it).

I know it is early, but with 14 homeruns, Pujols is on a record breaking pace, and I'd love to see him do it, if for no other reason than to clear my memory of steroid induced records.

I know that he plays on a division rival, and I hope he hits 74 homeruns or more in many a losing game ;) But I really, really want to see him take this record.

I don't think it is a big deal. I has been bugging all week with all this BEST EVER april talk. What most people don't realize is the seasons starts earlier than it did during the 154 game schedule. Now with 162 game schedule and expanded playoffs, the season now starts in the first week of April instead of the second or third week of April.

Jpup
05-01-2006, 12:00 AM

no.:thumbdown :thumbdown

How could you cheer for someone that plays for the Cardinals? That would be almost as bad as cheering for the Cubs.:eek:

savafan
05-01-2006, 12:32 AM
no.:thumbdown :thumbdown

How could you cheer for someone that plays for the Cardinals? That would be almost as bad as cheering for the Cubs.:eek:

I'm rooting for one guy to break one record. I also respect Pujols for what he does for autism, so it's not too difficult to like the best player in the game, even if he does play on the wrong team. Bonds' record falling would legitimize it once again.

Also, the 1998 season started even earlier than this year. They began play in March.

Jpup
05-01-2006, 12:56 AM
I'm rooting for one guy to break one record. I also respect Pujols for what he does for autism, so it's not too difficult to like the best player in the game, even if he does play on the wrong team. Bonds' record falling would legitimize it once again.

Also, the 1998 season started even earlier than this year. They began play in March.

I believe that ARod is better than Pujols as far as an all around player. The best hitter? I would say the Pujols is the best hitter, although Jason Giambi is having a great start as well.

redsmetz
05-01-2006, 05:29 AM
I rooted for Mark McGwire back in '98. I didn't care that he played for the Cardinals, I love baseball, and I thought the homerun chase was great. I'll tell you a little secret, I actually own a McGwire Cardinals' jersey. Not that I wear it, especially not now.

I can't think of anything that would be better for the sport in 2006, short of the Reds winning it all, than to see Barry Bonds' 73 homerun season become irrelevant.

I'd have to concur witht his post all around, particularly Pujols passing Bonds and making his record a moot point. Pujols is such a complete player. But I also agree with the previous poster who hoped lots of those homers would come in losing efforts!

oneupper
05-01-2006, 07:58 AM
. Bonds' record falling would legitimize it once again.

Unfortunately, it would legitimize BONDS' accomplishment also, since a clean player would be hitting 70+ home runs. ("See, you Don't need steriods...Barry could have done it without them", many will say).

I prefer Bonds' 73, McGwire's 70 and Sosa's multiple 60+s' to stand out for what they were: an aberration caused by chemical physical enhancement. FREAK performances by players who turned themselves into FREAKs.

traderumor
05-01-2006, 08:31 AM
I could care less if Pujols ever got another hit.

OnBaseMachine
05-01-2006, 08:37 AM
Helps to have a near non existent striker zone (so say the umps)

Exactly.

I will never, ever root for Albert Pujols in my life. He is the biggest showboater in baseball(even worse than Edmonds, IMO) and there is a zero chance of me rooting for him. I rank Pujols right up there with Bonds on my crap list.

BTW, I'm not saying Pujols took steroids or anything, but I can remember a poster on here who supposedly has inside connections in baseball that told him that Pujols got off scot-free in the steroid scandal. I'm note sure what to believe, although I have to say that Albert Pujols had the most physically mature body I've ever seen of a 21 year old.

MattyHo4Life
05-01-2006, 08:42 AM
I can remember a poster on here who supposedly has inside connections in baseball that told him that Pujols got off scot-free in the steroid scandal.

Well if a poster on a message board (whose name you can't remember) said it's true, then it must be true. ;)

OnBaseMachine
05-01-2006, 08:45 AM
Well if a poster on a message board (whose name you can't remember) said it's true, then it must be true. ;)

Oh, I remember his name, I just didn't want to throw his name out there without his permission.

Some of the most respected posters on here have said that this guy is legit. I'll PM him later and ask if I can copy and paste his post to this thread.

Strikes Out Looking
05-01-2006, 08:50 AM
I hate Pujols, I hate Bonds.
I hated Sosa, I hated McGwire.

That's it. That's the list.

RBA
05-01-2006, 08:56 AM
Pujols a juicer? It's not far fetched if you consider recent history of St Louis sluggers.

minus5
05-01-2006, 09:17 AM

I likes the way you think! :thumbup:

Highlifeman21
05-01-2006, 09:18 AM

Why use 4 pitches when only 1 will do? Hit him in the butt with the first pitch everytime, so you're not throwing at the head, the wrists, the hands, or anything else that would be looked upon as dirty. I bet even Dave Williams could handle that task.

PuffyPig
05-01-2006, 09:27 AM

There's been as much speculation about Pujols and steroids as any of the recent sluggers. Considering that he came out of nowhere with a recently retooled sculptered body at the age of 21 is cause for some concern.

Pujols is baseball's greatest hitter. That in itself will lead to speculation about steroids. But I can't being myself to cheer for any oponent that's competing with the Reds. And Pujols recent antics after a HR puts him (unfortunately) in the same boat as Bonds and Sosa.

Dunn has 10 HR's, you can cheer for him.

MattyHo4Life
05-01-2006, 09:42 AM
Pujols a juicer? It's not far fetched if you consider recent history of St Louis sluggers.

It sounds very far fetched. If Pujols was on steroids, then how could he be having his best start to a season yet? The same can't be said of Bonds. I'd be more concerned about Clemens being a user than I would Pujols.

MattyHo4Life
05-01-2006, 09:44 AM
Pujols is baseball's greatest hitter. That in itself will lead to speculation about steroids.

That is true, but Pujols makes himself a better hitter every year. He does that by spending more time taking batting practice and fielding practice than most players do. He does that by watching endless hours of video on opposing pitchers. He does that the way that you should do it. Pujols is a student of the game... he isn't some steroid freak.

traderumor
05-01-2006, 09:51 AM
Why use 4 pitches when only 1 will do? Hit him in the butt with the first pitch everytime, so you're not throwing at the head, the wrists, the hands, or anything else that would be looked upon as dirty. I bet even Dave Williams could handle that task.You don't get a base if Williams hits you in a wiffle ball kind of way.

Jr's Boy
05-01-2006, 09:57 AM
It sucks because back in the day when a player was real flashy when he homered the pitcher would send him a message the next time at bat.Give em some chin music or plunk em.Now a pitcher gets tossed when he does something of that nature.

Roy Tucker
05-01-2006, 10:01 AM
I have an enormous amount of respect for Pujols both as a man and as a player. The guy is the best hitter in MLB bar none.

However, the last time I checked, I'm a Reds fan. I want all the rest of the NL Central teams to lose. As long as the Reds are in any semblance of contention, I don't wish for any kind of success for any of their competitors.

If, come September, the Reds are 20 games out and Pujols is at 60 HRs and counting, then maybe. But I can't wish for any kind of success for any Card, Cub, Astro, Pirate, or Brewer right now.

Hal#23Fan
05-01-2006, 10:09 AM
:bang: :bang:

AP looks a lot smaller this season than the previous two........., so i am saying Albert was on the roids. IMHO

westofyou
05-01-2006, 10:16 AM
AP looks a lot smaller this season than the previous two........., so i am saying Albert was on the roids. IMHO

And yet he's hitting all those HR's so he must be talented even if he was on the roids.

No players are good anymore, everyone is juiced except the Reds...

vaticanplum
05-01-2006, 10:21 AM
I age five years every time Pujols faces the Reds' pitching. As a Reds fan, I have much hatred for him. That said, as a baseball fan, I respect him a lot. He's so gifted and he has even caused me genuine excitement at times, as in his walk-off in the NLCS last year that brought the series back to Busch. He also seems to be one of the nicest guys around. I once saw him sign autographs for almost an hour before a game -- and this was at Shea, not even his home turf. I think that's just normal for him.

But all of that is neither here nor there in my feelings regarding the possibility of his breaking the single-season HR record. In general, I'd like to see the focus on that record come off. In my mind it's just been tainted too much and too much importance is placed on it; I'm now distinctly more interested in career records which in my mind are more difficult to achieve. If Pujols smashed the record this year of all years, there'd be so much talk of steroids and so much talk of Bonds that I just think it would be no fun. Let the records stand and let them be questioned. I don't really care to see them surpassed anymore. Unless Adam Dunn were to do it, of course.

Shaknb8k
05-01-2006, 10:30 AM
I see exactly where Savafan is coming from. I’m here to say that im a baseball fan before I’m a Reds fan. Don’t try and say im not a true fan cause that’s far from the truth. I love the Cincinnati Reds, but I love the sport of baseball even more.

I never cheer for another team in front of the Reds. But I will cheer for ANY player who can increase the interest in baseball in a positive way. In these times the sport of baseball needs any positive publicity it can get. And Pujols is positive. If your going to say Pujols is on steroids then ill be the first to say that Dunn is on steroids. Yeah I said it. See how ignorant that sounds? These guys have been huge their entire career; they didn’t just get big all of a sudden like the other steroid power hitters. So put an end to this Pujols steroid talk and if you don’t then go ahead and start talking about Dunn too cause it is no difference just because he is a Red.

Now that we have decided that Pujols is positive for baseball, How in the world would you not want someone to create positive interest in baseball no matter what team he plays for. I can’t stand the Red Sox, Braves and Yankees. But guess what? Arod is a spectacular player and I’m glad that I get to live the same time period that he plays baseball. Same for David Ortiz and I love how the Braves have all these homegrown players. I hate the team with a passion but I can put that aside for the love of the sport of baseball.

Now it is possible for a casual fan to like the Reds over baseball. I’m sure this is how the majority of fans are and there is nothing wrong with it. But if you love the Reds as much as many of us on this website do, then I find it really hard to understand that you love the Reds more than the sport of baseball. The sport of baseball created the Cincinnati Reds; the Cincinnati Reds did not create baseball.

You will never see me cheer for another team over the Cincinnati Reds. Ill never cheer that Pujols hits a walk-off homerun to put the Cardinals in the playoffs over the Reds and give him the single season homerun record. That would break my heart more than probably anything so far in my entire life. But if that did happen then yes I’m willing to take one for the team for the sport of baseball.

So I’m not saying to cheer for a player achievement over the Reds but I want you to understand it doesn’t undermine your love for the Reds if you want a player or team to succeed all for the sake of baseball.

bucknutdet
05-01-2006, 10:30 AM
I am rooting for him..... to strike out in each at bat versus the Reds.:laugh:

westofyou
05-01-2006, 10:40 AM
You will never see me cheer for another team over the Cincinnati Reds. Ill never cheer that Pujols hits a walk-off homerun to put the Cardinals in the playoffs over the Reds and give him the single season homerun record. That would break my heart more than probably anything so far in my entire life. But if that did happen then yes I’m willing to take one for the team for the sport of baseball.

Perfect, the game is fosters all sorts of matchups and admiring the skill of another player that's not on your team makes the game more enjoyable IMO. I refuse to watch the amount of baseball that I watch and spend mental energy on hating an opposing player or resenting his skillsets no matter how impressive they are.

I was at a game at the GAB an Albert hit a HR that was hit as hard as the one Jackson hit at the 1971 AS game and left the field just as quick. The next night Edmonds made the catch over the CF fence on a LaRue bomb, two unbelievable plays that are just awesome in retrospect. Even if it was by those two players against the Reds.

OnBaseMachine
05-01-2006, 10:44 AM
:bang: :bang:

I don't see it. Pujols looks the same to me as he did the day he came into the league. Dude has the most physically mature body of a 21 year old that I have ever seen though. Maybe he wasn't really 21?
;)

Falls City Beer
05-01-2006, 10:50 AM
Without the Reds, baseball is a bunch of muscled rich guys plodding around a dusty rhomboid.

Without the Reds, baseball is the church without God.

Without the Reds, there's no us against them.

Without the Reds, there's just Goliath and no David.

RBA
05-01-2006, 10:53 AM
I have changed my mind. These guys are athletes whether they are taking steriods or not. Just make steroids legal. Thanks for setting me straight. Go Bonds!

PickOff
05-01-2006, 11:59 AM
It is Pujols' competitiveness that gets my attention. The man wants to win and it seems to me he does everything in his power to help his team win with an incredible work ethic and attention to detail.

He is so comfortable in his capabilities that he intimidates other players/teams/coaches and gives his own team a motivational edge. Plus, he seems like a genuine nice guy off the field.

I don't care if Pujols 'showboats' because it seems to me that he does it to make his team better, not to pump up his star quotient.

Pujols may end up being the single greatest baseball player I will ever see in my lifetime. As far as rooting for him, sure I would root for a player like that. Not against the Reds, or at expense of the Reds' success, but otherwise yes. More than that, though, I will continue to marvel at him and respect him.

redsmetz
05-01-2006, 12:13 PM
The thought of rooting for Albert Pujols has about the same piquancy as the idea of my cat performing a strip tease.

Your cat wears clothes???? :laugh:

redsmetz
05-01-2006, 12:18 PM
Exactly.

I will never, ever root for Albert Pujols in my life. He is the biggest showboater in baseball(even worse than Edmonds, IMO) and there is a zero chance of me rooting for him. I rank Pujols right up there with Bonds on my crap list.

BTW, I'm not saying Pujols took steroids or anything, but I can remember a poster on here who supposedly has inside connections in baseball that told him that Pujols got off scot-free in the steroid scandal. I'm note sure what to believe, although I have to say that Albert Pujols had the most physically mature body I've ever seen of a 21 year old.

My son met Pujols, another Cardinal and Wily Mo at Kenwood Towne Centre one time just a couple of years ago. He declined an autograph by shook my son's hand and was all around cool about him approaching him. My son said his hands were gigantic. What I liked the best about it was that my son was probably about 15 then and he was so excited about he immediately called his uncle and grandpa in Missouri to tell him. I liked that excitement and not being jaded.