PDA

View Full Version : Darrell May signed to a minor league deal

TeamBoone
04-30-2006, 10:09 PM
I didn't know about this; did you guys?

Sunday, April 30, 2006

Reds' general manager knows what May can do
By Brian Bennett / The Courier-Journal

It should come as no surprise that Cincinnati Reds general manager Wayne Krivsky jumped at the chance to sign pitcher Darrell May to a minor league deal earlier this month. From where Krivsky used to sit, May must have looked like a Cy Young contender.

May, a 33-year-old left-hander for the Louisville Bats, owns a career 3.12 ERA at the Metrodome, home of the Minnesota Twins. Last summer with San Diego, he outdueled 2004 Cy Young winner Johan Santana for a victory.

Krivsky came to the Reds from the Twins, where he was assistant general manager. May became available in late March when he was cut from, of course, Minnesota in spring training.

"I had pitched well against them, so they knew who I was," May said. "They've seen what I could do."

The entire American League saw what May could do in 2003, when he went 10-8 with a 3.77 ERA for Kansas City. The next year, however, he lost 19 games with a 5.61 ERA for the Royals. Last season he was one of the many veterans the New York Yankees auditioned for their battered staff in mid-season; May made only two appearances for the Yankees, allowing 13 runs in seven innings.

He is hoping to re-build his career with Cincinnati.

"I'm just trying to catch a break and get back in the big leagues," he said. "And stay there."

And although the Reds' pitching staff has been mostly solid this season, May saw plenty of opportunity here when he signed April 1.

"You wouldn't want to go to an organization like the Chicago White Sox, because they have such a strong staff that your chances of getting to pitch up there are slim," May said. "This is an organization that feels like they need some pitching, and that's why I'm here."

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060430/SPORTS07/604300524/1002/SPORTS

Heath
04-30-2006, 10:20 PM
Yep - He's pitching like Darrel May in Louisville too.

1-1 ERA above 4, 18K/5BB. 15 hits in 16 innings.

He's lefthanded. He gives up some homeruns too. No worse than Dave Williams.

harangatang
04-30-2006, 10:22 PM
4/1/06 - Reassigned IF/OF Jacob Cruz, IF Frank Menechino, OF Brian Buchanan, OF Dewayne Wise and OF Quinton McCracken to Minor League camp; Optioned RHP Ryan Wagner to Louisville; Designated C Dane Sardinha for assignment; Recalled OF Chris Denorfia; Purchased the contract of IF/OF Andy Abad and signed LHP Darrell May to a Minor League contract Placed C Jason LaRue on the 15-day disabled list, retroactive to March 26, recovering from March 2006 right knee surgery; Placed RHP Paul Wilson on the 15-day disabled list recovering from June 2005 right shoulder surgery.