PDA

View Full Version : Reds bound to fail?

Matt700wlw
05-01-2006, 05:49 PM
From Foxsports.com

The Reds: Bound to fall?
Contending teams usually feature strong pitching and defense. The Reds are deficient in both areas, making it doubtful that they'll be a serious threat in the NL Central.

The Reds' split personality isn't as pronounced as it was last season, when they led the NL in both runs scored and runs allowed, finishing 73-89.

They were again first in runs scored entering Friday's play, but third in runs allowed — progress of sorts. Two of their projected starting pitchers, right-hander Paul Wilson and lefty Eric Milton, are on the DL, though neither is certain to be a significant contributor. Veteran reliever Rick White, 37, might have the best fastball on the club.

The defense doesn't help matters. The Reds committed 22 errors in their first 22 games, most in the majors, and ranked 25th out of 30 in defensive efficiency, a statistic that measures the percentage of balls in plays that are converted into outs.

The defensive struggles of third baseman Edwin Encarnacion, who leads the majors with eight errors, are curious; Encarnacion, 23, does early work every day with bench coach Bucky Dent, according to G.M. Wayne Krivsky.

"He has enough raw ability that it shouldn't be so difficult — he's got a good arm, good enough feet, good enough reactions," says a scout who recently saw the Reds. "But it might just be that he's a bat who belongs in the American League."

Left fielder Adam Dunn, who has made four errors, is another issue.

"He's worse now than he has ever been in the outfield," the scout says. "His range is limited. His routes to balls are a little scary. They're going to have to move him to first base."

wheels
05-01-2006, 05:52 PM
That's a terrible write up.

Rick White has the best fastball (or as the writer stated, "should have"...What?) ?

I wonder how much these guys get paid, because I'm starting to think I've chosen the wrong profession.

BRM
05-01-2006, 05:55 PM
This might be the only thing in the article that I agree with.

Regarding Adam Dunn...

They're going to have to move him to first base

redsmetz
05-01-2006, 05:55 PM
Consider the source, it is Fox afterall. I think two of Dunn's errors were in the first game. He makes up for a slight deficiency with his bat and he's more than adequate out there. I would be curious to see the game to game for Encarnacion to see if he's spread them out or not.

Sea Ray
05-01-2006, 05:56 PM
The Reds' weaknesses are what they are and they've started off well before. The main issue is how will the roster evolve this year? Usually they fall out of it as the summer wears on because of a lack of depth. They have injuries, particularly to the pitching staff and they're too thin to withstand that. Who would have predicted that we'd have a speedy 2Bman with a lot of defense a month ago? I think EE and Dunn can improve their defense. Can Krivsky acquire anymore Phillips or Arroyo like players? I think they may be able to stay in the race for a wildcard and I think St Louis will run away with the Central.

Dunner44
05-01-2006, 10:55 PM
http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45523

just sayin...