PDA

View Full Version : Aaron Harang: Power Pitcher...

membengal
05-05-2006, 07:49 AM
...VR pointed this out in the game thread last night in reference to the NL, but, actually, it applies to both leagues:

at this frozen moment in time, before everyone takes their next turns to the mound, Harang leads MLB in strikeouts with 45.

The list:

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/stats/league_leaders.jsp?sortByStat=SO&baseballScope=mlb&statType=2&timeFrame=1&timeSubFrame=2006

It's a long way from here to there, but Harang's start, building off of what was a quietly very VERY good 2005, raises hopes for 220 innings and 200 or Ks from him. And it has been quite awhile since the Reds have had that kind of potential production at the front of the rotation, I think.

At any rate, just wanted to drop a note about the ace of this staff. He's good, and getting better...

Edited to add:

Oh yeah, only 11 BBs. That would be a 4:1 K:BB ration. And a 1.22 whip. You get on with your bad self, Harang.

RedsMan3203
05-05-2006, 08:14 AM
To point it out thou.

The Likes of Pedro, Capuano, and Schilling they are only on their 6th game where Mr. Harrang is on his 7th game started.

I still love the nearly 50 K's thou.

membengal
05-05-2006, 08:16 AM
To point it out thou.

The Likes of Pedro, Capuano, and Schilling they are only on their 6th game where Mr. Harrang is on his 7th game started.

I still love the nearly 50 K's thou.

Yes, that's why I mentioned "this frozen moment in time" and "before everyone takes their next trips to the mound". He's clearly not going to lead the league in strikeouts, and I am not saying he will. What I AM saying is that he is making a personal leap to being more of a power pitcher, and I welcome it. Very much.

Sabo17
05-05-2006, 08:29 AM
The main point of this all is. I would love to have 3 more Harangs to throw out there than Dave Williams or actually any of our others starters excluding Bronson..

Little Earl
05-05-2006, 08:31 AM
The main point of this all is. I would love to have 3 more Harangs to throw out there than Dave Williams or actually any of our others starters excluding Bronson..

Who wouldn't?

membengal
05-05-2006, 08:39 AM
The main point of this all is. I would love to have 3 more Harangs to throw out there than Dave Williams or actually any of our others starters excluding Bronson..'

I don't think Claussen is trash, and that he will be solid. We need two.

vaticanplum
05-05-2006, 09:56 AM
My Lord, why aren't more people talking about Tom Glavine? 1.94 ERA after 46 innings pitched? Wow.

kbrake
05-05-2006, 10:00 AM
Anyone else notice that Harang has been good for a couple years now but just now seems to be getting love from the media because a former Red Sox is also in his rotation.

vaticanplum
05-05-2006, 10:04 AM
Anyone else notice that Harang has been good for a couple years now but just now seems to be getting love from the media because a former Red Sox is also in his rotation.

I don't think that's totally fair. Arroyo has been extraordinary so far this season, and beyond that, has far exceeded a lot of people's expectations of him. Couple that with the fact that he was part of a recent trade that has, thus far, played out pretty one-sidedly. I think that's where the attention is coming from.

edit: I kind of misunderstood your post -- that's an explanation of why arroyo himself is getting attention. As far as Harang, I think his factor is up this year because so far he's part of a better team. People did know he was good before, but there's wasn't much reason to give him lip service as the Reds weren't really a factor.

shredda2000
05-05-2006, 11:26 AM

As Harang stated in an Reds.com article, he and Bronson are feeding off each other...trying to one-up the other...competition is GOOD:thumbup:

Here's the article...

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/gameday_recap.jsp?ymd=20060504&content_id=1437840&vkey=recap&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

2001MUgrad
05-05-2006, 11:44 AM
I'm shocked at Glavine too. Both his ERA and K's. I really thought he was done, I guess not.

But, WOW about Harrang. If he just wouldn't hang that pitch or 2 that he does every game.

Dunner44
05-05-2006, 11:55 AM
In the game thread, someone was comparing Harang's slider to Smoltz's. I can live with that. Filthy!

Blarkin
05-05-2006, 12:04 PM
I wouldn't call Harang a power pitcher he does not have any over powering stuff, but what he does have is the fundamentals which I think are more important. He shows a lot of control, poise and stamina while on the mound. Also you have to give credit to the catchers calling the games and framing the pitches. I believe you can't have a good pitcher without a good catcher. Lets hope Harang can keep this up through the season.

membengal
05-05-2006, 12:08 PM
See, now, I was curious when someone would dis his stuff. He runs it up there between 90 and 93, with a wicked slider. I think that stuff actually is overpowering, and there was some physical evidence of that last night when he shattered three bats with heavy pitches in on the hands.

Roy Tucker
05-05-2006, 12:15 PM
It will be interesting to see how Harang tracks this season. He looked very good last night. Lots of K's and broken bats.

He did have the added advantage of a big strike zone from home plate ump Riley which helped the K rate. But the broken bats were no fluke. He was throwing nasty stuff.

Like I mentioned in the game thread, this was a Harang I haven't seen before.

M2
05-05-2006, 12:18 PM
I classify Harang as a horse. Yeah, he can whiff some batters, but he's not going to be one of those guys who averages a K an inning (at least not in most years). Yet what he can do is fan 7-8 hitters per 9 IP and rack up a bunch of innings. Aaron's got a big frame and he can probably give the team 220 IP. If he does that, he's got a legitimate shot at cracking 200 Ks and staying on the K leader boards.

Blarkin
05-05-2006, 12:20 PM
I am not degrading his pitching, I am saying he is not a guy that burns the fastball past guys. His control is amazing, and the catcher does a great job in setting up pitches. Harang just executes. Guys are going to turn on his fastball, but what makes it look like maybe 96 is because of his off speed stuff. So maybe he is more finesse with a nice slider and a good curve.

RedsManRick
05-05-2006, 12:20 PM
What I heard described last night was very promising. Basically he's got four functional pitches which he can locate. It seems the strikeouts are the result of his slider and cutter both showing solid late movement. If he can get late movement in Coors, that's a very good sign.

savafan
05-05-2006, 08:23 PM
As Harang stated in an Reds.com article, he and Bronson are feeding off each other...trying to one-up the other...competition is GOOD:thumbup:

Here's the article...

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/gameday_recap.jsp?ymd=20060504&content_id=1437840&vkey=recap&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

I love hearing things like this. I can recall Jose Rijo once saying the same thing about Tom Browning and himself.

wheels
05-06-2006, 12:46 AM
I've never seen Harang's pitches look as heavy as they did last night.

I always thought of him in the "heavy" realm, but last night was just unreal.
Reds fans don't see stuff like that every day.

He's tailor made for this club.

Hoosier Red
05-06-2006, 09:41 AM
My Lord, why aren't more people talking about Tom Glavine? 1.94 ERA after 46 innings pitched? Wow.

It's the market he pitches in, hard to get a lot of attention pitching in NY.
Now if Tom Glavine were able to put number like that up in Kansas City, oh and the women he'd be getting.
I mean have you seen Kansas City at night, a thing of beauty I tell ya.