PDA

View Full Version : Dustin Moseley runs record to 5-1 with complete game victory

savafan
05-08-2006, 12:24 PM
:bang:

http://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/story/5723563p-5124133c.html

MIKE CURTO; For The News Tribune
Published: May 8th, 2006 01:00 AM

SALT LAKE CITY – Salt Lake Bees starting pitcher Dustin Moseley showed the power of the ground ball on Sunday afternoon.

Moseley recorded 15 ground-ball outs – with just four fly-ball outs – while pitching a complete game five-hitter as Salt Lake defeated Tacoma at Franklin Covey Field, 8-2.

Moseley (5-1) became the first Pacific Coast League pitcher to reach five wins this season. After allowing four singles and a run in the first three innings, Moseley allowed one hit the rest of the way – a Todd Sears home run in the seventh inning.

“Moseley mixed his pitches well and kept us off balance,” said Tacoma manager Dave Brundage. “He moved his fastball in and out, and he worked ahead in the count.”

Moseley was a top prospect for the Cincinnati Reds when he was traded to the Los Angeles Angels for pitcher Ramon Ortiz prior to the 2005 season.

Moseley struggled through shoulder problems for Salt Lake last season, but now that he is healthy he has emerged as a top starter in the PCL. He became the first Salt Lake pitcher to toss a nine-inning complete game since Chris Bootcheck in August 2004. Moseley threw 111 pitches, 70 for strikes.

For a while, Tacoma starter Clint Nageotte (3-2) looked like he was going to match Moseley.

Nageotte was perfect through two innings, but a leadoff walk opened the third. After a couple of singles, Reggie Willits lined a double to right field, scoring a pair of runs to give Salt Lake a 2-1 lead.

Nageotte allowed three more runs in the fourth inning. Salt Lake slugger Dallas McPherson hit two home runs against Nageotte – solo shots in the fourth and fifth innings.

“He left some breaking pitches in the zone when he was trying to bury the hitter,” said Brundage.

McPherson has homered in each of the first three games of the series. The third baseman has hit eight home runs this season – five of them against Tacoma. McPherson is tied with Justin Leone of Portland for the league lead in home runs.

Tacoma (16-12) now trails first-place Salt Lake (18-11) by 11/2 games in the PCL North.

LincolnparkRed
05-08-2006, 12:38 PM
You know if he were with the Reds last season instead of having arm troubles his arm would have probably fallen off. Also remember that he has not made his MLB debut yet as well as the fact that LAA called up a AAA starter last week and it wasn't Dustin.

dougdirt
05-08-2006, 01:00 PM
Mosely might be doing well in AAA but I just cant see him projecting as anything good in the majors. He doesnt have the velocity anymore. Think Dave Williams in terms of velocity.

flyer85
05-08-2006, 01:10 PM
Mosely might be doing well in AAA but I just cant see him projecting as anything good in the majors. He doesnt have the velocity anymore. Think Dave Williams in terms of velocity.one notable difference is that Williams is a FB pitcher while Moseley is a GB pitcher.

Maybe we could get that McPherson guy and put him at first. He has zero future with the Angels because there is no place to play with the likes of Kotchman, Morales and Wood.

LincolnparkRed
05-08-2006, 01:17 PM
now that is an intriguing thought. I thought he was supposed to be the future at 3rd originally??

flyer85
05-08-2006, 01:27 PM
now that is an intriguing thought. I thought he was supposed to be the future at 3rd originally??it was. The Reds could have a player that could play both. He is effectively blocked in Anaheim and at his age(25 soon to be 26) needs a change of scenery

LincolnparkRed
05-08-2006, 04:12 PM
maybe they would take Cody Ross, or would you give up Denorfia for McPherson?

pedro
05-08-2006, 04:29 PM
I saw Moseley pitch here in Portland a few weeks ago. He lost that game. His fastball topped out at 88 during the first 3 or so innings and by the fourth it was at 83-4. His breaking stuff was in at around 75-78 so he is changing speeds and he does seem to keep the ball down. Neverthess, I'm just not sure he'll ever make it in the majors, at least as a starter. (I hope I'm wrong though)

Another thing of note that I noticed when I saw him pitch is that Salt Lake City(Angels AAA team) plays some pretty good defense and has some good all around players. Howie Kendrick looked really good in particular.

dougdirt
05-08-2006, 04:31 PM
Why do you go after Mcpherson? We have Votto who should be ready soon and is coming out of his slump right now and on fire. He is back up to .294/.356/.479 with 7 doubles and 5 home runs. At third you have Edwin. Both are younger than is Mcpherson and have arguably better upside.

flyer85
05-08-2006, 08:25 PM
Votto isn't considered that good of a prospect and certainly is not a sure thing. There is nothing remarkable at all in Votto's minor league numberss. He just gets attention because the system is devoid of position prospects.

Ravenlord
05-08-2006, 08:51 PM
Last Two Years
Pitcher ERA IP H HR BB K GB/FB Price Tag
Moseley 5.03 82.1 102 11 30 38 1.57 minimum
- 2.92 37 30 4 13 29 1.88 minimum
Ortiz 5.36 171.1 206 34 51 96 1.23 $3,000,000
- 5.88 33.2 46 4 13 12 0.84 $1,000,000 (?)

SteelSD
05-09-2006, 12:11 PM
Why do you go after Mcpherson? We have Votto who should be ready soon and is coming out of his slump right now and on fire. He is back up to .294/.356/.479 with 7 doubles and 5 home runs. At third you have Edwin. Both are younger than is Mcpherson and have arguably better upside.

Dallas McPherson career Minor League Numbers:

.308 BA/.395 OBP/.575 SLG- .970 OPS

Since arriving from The Citadel in 2001, McPherson has played exactly one full minor league season in which his OPS finished under the 1.000 mark (2002- .808). More upside than that really doesn't exist. Unfortunately for McPherson, the Angels pretty much refuse to allow their best positional prospects any sort of learning curve at the MLB level. The result is a bad offense manned by old guys they can't quite will themselves to let go.

Timing is perfect to grab McPherson. Plop him in at 1B and let him hit.

dougdirt
05-09-2006, 12:26 PM
Steel, I know his stats, I have actually been a big fan of his for a while, but I guess I addressed my question wrong. If you do go after and get him, what do you do with Votto? Hang him out there for a trade? Let him sit around and rot?

Superdude
05-09-2006, 03:46 PM
I think Votto should spend next year in Louisville, so that gives McPherson two years to prove he's worthy of being the future guy. If you can get McPherson for cheap, then why not?

dougdirt
05-09-2006, 03:55 PM
Well that makes some sense, but I would think lots of teams have been calling on him. He is good and he is still with the Angels. Maybe they want way to much in return for him and that is why he is still there?

flyer85
05-09-2006, 03:57 PM
Timing is perfect to grab McPherson. Plop him in at 1B and let him hit.buy low and now would be a perfect time. He seems likely to always be behind Wood, Kotchman, Morales and likely Figgins.

One problem the Reds have is zero organizational depth. There are a number of positions where there is no one in the minors close to providing depth. There is little infield depth in the entire organization and no one even remotely close to helping at the majors.

Votto may turn out to be a heck of a player but throwing all your eggs in his basket is not a good idea. McPherson could be some cheap insurance but who knows at this point if the Angels would be inclined to let him go.

SteelSD
05-10-2006, 12:15 PM
Steel, I know his stats, I have actually been a big fan of his for a while, but I guess I addressed my question wrong. If you do go after and get him, what do you do with Votto? Hang him out there for a trade? Let him sit around and rot?

Superdude did a good job of addressing the timetable.

And flyer is right- putting all of one's eggs in a Joey Votto basket isn't the best play. Nothing wrong with having more talent than you need, particularly when the guy you're looking to acquire has a much higher projectible upside than the next best internal alternative.

Heath
05-11-2006, 09:33 AM
Here's a comparison - I'll ask the question - you stat guys can find this quicker than I can.

Dallas McPherson or Ryan Shealy?

IslandRed
05-11-2006, 11:36 AM
Hmmm... tough one. Both played in similar hitter-friendly Texas League/PCL environments. Both have similar minor-league batting lines. McPherson is slightly younger and was slightly ahead in the development curve, but Shealy has shown a little more home-run power.

I think most people would say McPherson because the ability to play third base makes one more valuable than a similar hitter who plays only first, and he might be a little more athletic and thus age better. But if we presume we're looking for a regular first baseman, then it really becomes a toss-up. So my answer: Whichever one can be obtained more cheaply.

Sabo Fan
05-11-2006, 02:17 PM
Here's a comparison - I'll ask the question - you stat guys can find this quicker than I can.

Dallas McPherson or Ryan Shealy?

Island Red has a good breakdown so I'll go along with that and add one thing: I believe that McPherson has had some back issues in the past few years and I thought I heard at one point that they were thought to be chronic. Don't know if that is still the prevailing wisdom, but it's something to consider. Having said that, a move to first might help out the back problems if they are indeed recurring.

dougdirt
05-11-2006, 03:18 PM
Right now, Im staying away from McPherson. 7-1 strikeout to walk ratio this year? He has 4 singles and 20 extra base hits.....and 49 strikeouts in 102 at bats. I am staying away from that.

SteelSD
05-13-2006, 04:28 AM
Right now, Im staying away from McPherson. 7-1 strikeout to walk ratio this year? He has 4 singles and 20 extra base hits.....and 49 strikeouts in 102 at bats. I am staying away from that.

No offense, doug, but as long as you're using K's as a primary indicator for hitters, you're going to miss a lot on the evaluation side. McPherson has been jerked around by the Angels for 1+ seasons now and his current sample size is 102 AB. If you're going to allow that to trump over 1,800 Minor League PA, then I really don't know what to tell ya'.

At his worst (right now), the guy is producing a AAA OPS of .907 but you appear to be concerned about his Singles rates when he has 9 Doubles, 3 Triples, and 8 Home Runs? That's not a negative. It's a positive.

dougdirt
05-13-2006, 11:21 AM
Steel, normally it wouldnt bother me so much. But in AAA if you are striking out 50% of the time, when you get to the big leagues, you are in 90% of the cases, strike out even more than that.

Yeah his career numbers speak a little better, but all it screams out is something is very wrong with his swing right now. Be it just something actually wrong with his swing, he is hurt and compensating somewhere....I dont know. Something isnt right though.

SteelSD
05-13-2006, 02:57 PM
Steel, normally it wouldnt bother me so much. But in AAA if you are striking out 50% of the time, when you get to the big leagues, you are in 90% of the cases, strike out even more than that.

doug, problem is that he's got a long history of performance that demonstrates his projectible upside. 102 AB isn't so much as a drop in the bucket. Furthermore, K rates don't correlate with production so you're looking at an irrelevant "indicator". That's bad- particularly when said indicator isn't representative of the player's actual ability and performance history (including his MLB history).

Yeah his career numbers speak a little better, but all it screams out is something is very wrong with his swing right now. Be it just something actually wrong with his swing, he is hurt and compensating somewhere....I dont know. Something isnt right though.

Let's look at it from another perspective. At McPherson's worst (right now), he's "failing well" (and it's still resulting in a .900+ OPS). That's significantly better than someone who's "succeeds poorly" (see: Cabrera, Melky).

Obviously, I'd want a complete physical on any player acquired. That being said, nothing in McPherson's history should keep anyone from trying to rescue him from the Angels.

REDREAD
05-13-2006, 03:56 PM

Hi Doug,

It's my opinion that we need to collect all the talent we can. If Votto ends up being a ML player too, that's a nice problem to have. We can always trade surplus talent for another need.